AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Official Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2977992-official-pioneer-elite-vsx-lx503-thread.html)

many03 05-17-2018 09:19 AM

Official Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 Thread

B&H jumped the gun and released the specs for the LX503 before Pioneer did. It's seems for this year, they've scrapped the D-amps and gone back to a regular A&B. However, they've brought back the pre out terminals.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...k_network.html

bargugl 05-17-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by many03 (Post 56202182)
B&H jumped the gun and released the specs for the LX503 before Pioneer did. It's seems for this year, they've scrapped the D-amps and gone back to a regular A&B. However, they've brought back the pre out terminals.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...k_network.html

Looks like more integration between Onkyo and Pioneer. Last year the LX-302 was just a variation of the Onkyo NR676/RZ620 (without RZ cap upgrade, but adding some of the CI controls above the 676). It seems the new LX-303 is a variation of the upcoming RZ630 and now they have the new LX 503 being a variation of the RZ730. Back panel is clearly an Onkyo design vs the old Pioneer style.

Too bad about the loss of the D amps on this model. I think they are saving them for higher models. You have to move to Onkyo RZ920 to see them in Onkyo line so I expect as product integration continues that it will be the same level with Pioneer. The LX501 and LX502 were always a little odd being placed at their price point in the US market. Overseas, they priced the LX502 the same as the RZ820 (instead of as the same as RZ720) and it was in the same class as far as performance. It was just missing the preouts. Not all that surprised to see them pulling it down to be the same as RZ730.
Here's a good read on the old LX502. Just turn on google translate:
http://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-test...uer-1-199-eur/

Zorba922 05-19-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargugl (Post 56204874)
Too bad about the loss of the D amps on this model. I think they are saving them for higher models. You have to move to Onkyo RZ920 to see them in Onkyo line so I expect as product integration continues that it will be the same level with Pioneer. The LX501 and LX502 were always a little odd being placed at their price point in the US market. Overseas, they priced the LX502 the same as the RZ820 (instead of as the same as RZ720) and it was in the same class as far as performance.

And yet I'll bet the Class D amp models are probably cheaper to make than Class AB...evil corporate mofos!

Guess I should jump on one of the $420 Pio 501s still left at accessories4less while they're still available...

VisionxOrb 05-19-2018 04:03 PM

The big news to me is the 503 and 303 are now 9.2 instead of 7.2. last year you had to go all the way to lx701 at 1500 to get that.

dunnersfella 05-19-2018 04:33 PM

Onkyo / Pioneer have jammed another 2 x amps into quite a few models for this year.
I believe they see more channels as a point of difference, the same as Denon / Marantz - but opposed to Yamaha's thinking.
The question is, how many people in the larger market are buying AVR's for 5.1.4 vs those buying for Zone 2 and Zone 3...

bargugl 05-20-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisionxOrb (Post 56213762)
The big news to me is the 503 and 303 are now 9.2 instead of 7.2. last year you had to go all the way to lx701 at 1500 to get that.

The strategy for Onkyo is to push the 9 channels amps into the lower middle this year for sure. No doubt this is going to be the marketing push for them. I suspect that will play pretty well in the salesroom. They should see an uptick in sales and I suspect the other brands will soon follow suit with the 2019 and 2020 models. Somewhat surprised Denon didn't push farther downmarket with it this year. Onkyo RZ630, RZ730, RZ830, NR787, Pioneer LX303 and LX503 are all slated for 9 channel this year. That means by Christmas, we will be seeing discounts to push 9 channel receivers well under $500 with the NR787, RZ630, and LX303. With the new chassis/platform they rolled out with the 2016 models, it definitely seemed to be designed to allow easy 9 channel expansion. Just a matter on when in the development/marketing cycle they wanted to roll it out. After pulling a bunch of service manuals, I figured out that from 2016 on, all Onkyos from NR5x5 to RZ8x0 and now apparently the Pioneer LX303 and LX503 are all built on the same platform. Same design and same boards with just a few variations.

Buddylee123 06-11-2018 09:13 AM

Pioneer and Onkyo are also bringing the cost of 7.2.4 pre-outs down to 1000 dollars, nice to see.

BattleAxeVR 06-25-2018 01:57 PM

I'm strongly considering buying the Pio 503, I don't care about the amps just the pre-outs really. I use JBL LSR active monitors but want 7.2.4 Atmos and this is the cheapest option out there.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is, compared to a used or refurb Marantz 7703, or even brand new, which has full pre-outs and balanced XLRs too (bonus for me), is about the difference in EQ quality.

I've read the Pioneer MCACC is regarded as inferior to the XT32 in the Marantz, is that generally considered to be the case here on AVS?

slimoli 06-27-2018 09:37 PM

Does anybody know if the 503 will pass DV to the Sony TVs ? It looks like the 701 and 801 don't. Specificaly, I am interested in a receiver capable to passthrough DV to my Sony 75Z9D and the 503 looks like a candidate. Thank you for any help.

BattleAxeVR 06-28-2018 08:34 PM

It should work, it's Dolby Vision compatible. But you'll never know 100% for sure until you try it. I would buy it from Amazon for zero hassle returns.

slimoli 06-29-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR (Post 56414598)
It should work, it's Dolby Vision compatible. But you'll never know 100% for sure until you try it. I would buy it from Amazon for zero hassle returns.

The 801 or 701 also claims DV compatibility but doesn't work with the new Sonys. DV implementation on Sony TV is different from other brands.

Flash330 07-03-2018 01:58 PM

So what about an earc update?

ajwillys 07-07-2018 12:30 PM

How do you all feel about this? Good deal? $700 seems like a really good price.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pioneer...-av-receivers/

brasewel 07-07-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajwillys (Post 56455366)

I saw this deal earlier and feel like pulling the trigger on the 503. Does anyone know if this receiver supports earc?

tingham 07-07-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajwillys (Post 56455366)

Better make sure you would want this unit for sure, since it looks like to me no returns with massdrop.

ajwillys 07-08-2018 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tingham (Post 56456456)
Better make sure you would want this unit for sure, since it looks like to me no returns with massdrop.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm no audiophile. Just looking for an affordable way to get 5.1.4 Atmos.

Flash330 07-11-2018 06:11 PM

If you were near Ohio I'd help. My marantz 7009 still looks mint but it's a pain since I can't do hdr and atmos at the same time since its not hdcp 2.2. It sucks because the sound is unmatched so am upgrade will cost a fortune.

afrogt 07-11-2018 08:11 PM

Why upgrade, just buy a streaming device with 2 HDMI outs, one for audio and one for video.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X70...00.html?tp=171

PackFan 07-12-2018 07:57 AM

So... I'm thinking of upgrading my main receiver to be more compatible with passing 4K HDR signals. I currently have the Pioneer Elite SC-85 running a 5.1.2 setup and have had the Pioneer SC series for a while. I guess I've liked having the Class D3 series amplifiers, but I'm not sure I can quantify why...

The Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 is one option...
Some candidates include the Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=5947136)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 (https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html)
Onkyo TX-RZ820 (https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html)

Also wondering how much a "step down" this is: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ver-new/1.html

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Tuanster 07-12-2018 05:27 PM

Does anyone know if the HDMI connection on this receiver is HDMI 2.1 ? I tried to e-mail Pioneer but they didn't respond to my question. Thanks

keith_u 07-12-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuanster (Post 56482018)
Does anyone know if the HDMI connection on this receiver is HDMI 2.1 ? I tried to e-mail Pioneer but they didn't respond to my question. Thanks

Nobody yet has HDMI 2.1 outputs, so no.

keith_u 07-12-2018 05:58 PM

Oh, and BTW the 503 is available from Newegg for a net price of $799 - you pay $899 but you get back a $100 Newegg gift card. It is presently on back order for a few days.

Geezer 07-12-2018 09:35 PM

My old Elite died. Looking for a replacement and this model fits my needs. Is it true they are made by Onkyo? That may change my mind

mehdis82 07-19-2018 10:55 AM

Does anyone know if their Flareconnect speakers can be used as wireless rear channels for this receiver?

Chris Blount 08-03-2018 11:23 AM

I got mine coming from Amazon tomorrow. Replacing my SC-97. Want Dolby Vision and all HDMI inputs to support full 4K HDR.

Chris Blount 08-06-2018 06:08 AM

I got my 503 setup over the weekend.

Onkyo has done an excellent job incorporating a few of their features in with the classic Pioneer feature set.

I had been using the Pioneer SC-97. With technology progressing, I needed this new receiver to pass Dolby Vision, and I needed ALL HDMI inputs to pass 4K HDR (the SC-97 was limited to only the first 3 inputs). The VSX-LX503 works perfectly on all counts. No glitches, no issues, it just works.

The home menu system is TONS better than the old Pioneer menus and much more intuitive. I'm running a 5.1.4 setup (Dolby Atmos). What really amazed me the most is how well the MCACC worked. Normally after running the MCACC, I always end up doing tweaks to speaker levels and equalization. After running the MCACC on the VSX-LX503, I didn't need to touch ANYTHING. The MCACC worked perfectly and the sound is well balanced and sounds great!

I have all HDMI inputs filled with different components (4K Blue-Ray, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, X-Box, Roku Ultra etc). This receiver handles all of them without issue. Dolby Vision from the Apple TV 4K works flawlessly. Switching between inputs is not a problem and fairly fast considering all the handshaking that's going on internally. Both HDMI outputs (one to a 4K TV and the other to a 4K projector) work perfectly as well.

Long story short, so far so good. At this price point, you really can't go wrong. The sound is excellent coming from this receiver and it can probably handle just about any HDMI component you can throw at it.

jencas 08-06-2018 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Blount (Post 56598906)
I got my 503 setup over the weekend.

Onkyo has done an excellent job incorporating a few of their features in with the classic Pioneer feature set.

I had been using the Pioneer SC-97. With technology progressing, I needed this new receiver to pass Dolby Vision, and I needed ALL HDMI inputs to pass 4K HDR (the SC-97 was limited to only the first 3 inputs). The VSX-LX503 works perfectly on all counts. No glitches, no issues, it just works.

The home menu system is TONS better than the old Pioneer menus and much more intuitive. I'm running a 5.1.4 setup (Dolby Atmos). What really amazed me the most is how well the MCACC worked. Normally after running the MCACC, I always end up doing tweaks to speaker levels and equalization. After running the MCACC on the VSX-LX503, I didn't need to touch ANYTHING. The MCACC worked perfectly and the sound is well balanced and sounds great!

I have all HDMI inputs filled with different components (4K Blue-Ray, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, X-Box, Roku Ultra etc). This receiver handles all of them without issue. Dolby Vision from the Apple TV 4K works flawlessly. Switching between inputs is not a problem and fairly fast considering all the handshaking that's going on internally. Both HDMI outputs (one to a 4K TV and the other to a 4K projector) work perfectly as well.

Long story short, so far so good. At this price point, you really can't go wrong. The sound is excellent coming from this receiver and it can probably handle just about any HDMI component you can throw at it.

You wouldn't happen to have a Sony TV to test DV with, would you? I ordered an LX303 Friday before seeing this thread and am now concerned about DV not working with my Sony 940E.

Thanks,

Chris Blount 08-06-2018 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jencas (Post 56598952)
You wouldn't happen to have a Sony TV to test DV with, would you? I ordered an LX303 Friday before seeing this thread and am now concerned about DV not working with my Sony 940E.

Thanks,

Negative. I have an LG. I dumped my Sony 940D a few months ago. Was so tired of the glitchy performance when the Sony was plugged into the Pioneer.

jencas 08-06-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Blount (Post 56598964)
Negative. I have an LG. I dumped my Sony 940D a few months ago. Was so tired of the glitchy performance when the Sony was plugged into the Pioneer.

Would you care to elaborate on the "glitchy performance" issues? I have had apparent HDMI handshake issues with the 940E, mostly due to having a Darby in the video chain is what I thought. This problem is solved by powering on components sequentially.

My big issue with the Sony is that it only has one 4k input, which I currently have my Oppo 203 connected to, meaning I had to plug the Amazon Fire into the HDMI input of the Oppo. I had hoped the LX303 would function as a 4k switcher, but if it doesn't pass DV, I'm stuck with the same set-up as I'm using on my SC-81. Of course, I up-graded primarily for 9-channel Atmos and DTS-X, but I want DV also.

Thanks,

Chris Blount 08-06-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jencas (Post 56599058)
Would you care to elaborate on the "glitchy performance" issues? I have had apparent HDMI handshake issues with the 940E, mostly due to having a Darby in the video chain is what I thought. This problem is solved by powering on components sequentially.

My big issue with the Sony is that it only has one 4k input, which I currently have my Oppo 203 connected to, meaning I had to plug the Amazon Fire into the HDMI input of the Oppo. I had hoped the LX303 would function as a 4k switcher, but if it doesn't pass DV, I'm stuck with the same set-up as I'm using on my SC-81. Of course, I up-graded primarily for 9-channel Atmos and DTS-X, but I want DV also.

Thanks,

I had two display devices. An Optoma 4K Projector and the Sony 930D. One was connected to HDMI output A and the other on B. The Sony, even when turned off, seems to always have something going on in the background. While watching the projector, the Sony would send out a ping causing the projector output to go black for 10 seconds. This would happen several times an hour. The only workaround was to set the Pioneer receiver so it outputs to the projector only on HDMI output 2. When I wanted to have video to the Sony, I always had to manually switch it HDMI output 1. I could NEVER have HDMI output A+B turned on at the same time. When I switched to my LG OLED, all of these problems went away.

There were also several occasions when I would turn everything on and there would a black screen going to the Sony. The only workaround was to turn off the receiver then turn it back on again.

Sony makes great TV's, but honestly the quality of the software they are using is getting annoying. Also, Sony's prices are on the high end. My new LG OLED is amazing and cost much less than a Sony with the same features.