• 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 14 Old 05-20-2018, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
buying a receiver

hello all im currently in the market to buy a receiver and am wondering what would be a good option,i have found a denon avr-x3000 for 200 bux but not sure if its a good deal or not,i currently have a pair of
Bic Acoustech PL980's and eventually will be getting the surrounds and sub later,but i need a good receiver,i dont mind buying used and dont need the remote,but most importantly i want it to have the best sound possible any advice would be great thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22615 Post(s)
Liked: 12307
Quote:
Originally Posted by xreaperx22 View Post
hello all im currently in the market to buy a receiver and am wondering what would be a good option,i have found a denon avr-x3000 for 200 bux but not sure if its a good deal or not,i currently have a pair of Bic Acoustech PL980's and eventually will be getting the surrounds and sub later,but i need a good receiver,i dont mind buying used and dont need the remote,but most importantly i want it to have the best sound possible any advice would be great thanks.
"Best sound possible" is subjective based on the quality of your speakers, the acoustics in your room, and of course the age of your ears. The X3000 is a 2013 model that uses the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ XT so you would be better served going with the next higher model, X4000 that uses MultEQ XT32, but then only if not going to 4k anytime soon, otherwise, the oldest model that can pass 4k/HDCP 2.2 video and uses XT32 is the 2015 X4200W.
smithsabom likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

ok how about the integra 40.3? i found a good deal on that also...as far as 4k is concerned i wont be using the hdmi connections at all im connecting my computer up to it with optical cable,those BiC Acoustech pl980's are very good rate as high as the klipcsh reference speakers,and true everyones ears are different but my main concern is i want the mids to be warm and the highs to be crisp,that integra uses berr brown caps i believe so should sound pretty good i cant seem to find any reviews on it tho so idk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-20-2018, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 38
^ xreap, I am very curious about the Integra 40.3 also. It seems like A LOT of receiver, and very capable! If you get it, please post thoughts.

Edit: Am particularly interested in your thoughts about your BIC towers. I have their FH6 LCR and FH65B. Have had very large Klipsch towers in the past (KLF 30/20/10) and loved them. But the BIC seems also like a great deal of value (performance and capability divided by price). . . .

Jim
St. Louis, MO area
AVRs: Denon AVR-X4400H, Onkyo TX-NR1030, Denon AVR-X3400H, Onkyo TX-NR646
Speakers: BIC America LH6-LCR and FH-65B, Polk RTi6, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10

Last edited by jwb0007; 05-20-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
post #5 of 14 Old 05-20-2018, 10:26 AM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb0007 View Post
^ xreap, I am very curious about the Integra 40.3 also. It seems like A LOT of receiver, and very capable! If you get it, please post thoughts.

Edit: Am particularly interested in your thoughts about your BIC towers. I have their FH6 LCR and FH65B. Have had very large Klipsch towers in the past (KLF 30/20/10) and loved them. But the BIC seems also like a great deal of value (performance and capability divided by price). . . .
The Integra and Onkyo products from about 2010 and on had HDMI board problems - BIG TIME. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html

Good deal or crapshoot? You decide. It is a hellava deal if it works for the full 2 years of warranty provided with the Integra products. I've had to deal with Onkyo & Integra - if their customer service had treated me better I might consider buying one of those 40.2/40.3 receivers. According to their CS I simply didn't understand how the product was supposed to work? Huh? No picture, no sound, tuner doesn't work??? Two processors and one AVR, and they all died from the same malady. Bad HDMI boards.

I'll stick with Yamaha Denon & Marantz. Never had any of those three brands die on me. I had 3 out of 4 Onkyo/Integra products die on me. I do have one Onkyo product in the house, I bought a new TX-8270 stereo receiver for the bedroom 2 channel setup a couple of months ago - it has 4 HDMI ports. Works very well, so far! The only knock I can find against it is the time it takes to scan a thumb drive in the front USB port. An 8gb thumb drive takes as much as one minute or so to scan it and present the audio list. It's all FLAC. My old Yamaha RX-V773 could scan that drive in 5-10 seconds. Audio quality is excellent with the 8270, as I expected. My last stereo receiver was the Onkyo 8050, also an excellent receiver. Onkyo does stereo pretty good, AVRs? IMO not so good. Their newest products may be ok, I don't know as I haven't researched their latest stuff for reliability. When they come up to the quality of Denon Marantz and Yamaha I'll consider an Onkyo/Integra AVR. And for those who don't know, Pioneer is an Onkyo/Integra company now.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Polk LSiM706c Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #6 of 14 Old 05-21-2018, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

would it still overheat even if im not using any of the hdmi's? also i plan on putting a couple fans on it to keep it cool would that help? if not i suppose i should look at other receivers.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-21-2018, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

oh and about the bic towers personally i love them,they have sweet sound comparable to the klipcsh reference speakers,altho i dont recommend anything before the pl 980's because before they added the 5" mid driver the 6 1/2 horn did all the highs and mids and was kinda meh,but now since they have the extra 5" mid the sound is just amazing and the x-overs in them are great,i almost and i stress almost lol dont need a sub with these,but i plan on getting the sub and surrounds that match these pl980's for some great home theatre,tho im not sure if ill use the bic sub or not but they are rated pretty good so idk right now im focused on getting a decent receiver so any ideas on that regard would be appreciated,dont want anything new cuz well my wallet is a bit light this time around so looking for something in the 200-250 dollar range,thats why i asked about the integra 40.3 i found it with 2 year warranty for 219 which is a steal as long as it dont burn up lol.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
Are you up for factory refurbs? If you're in the US, you could consider accessories4less. I like their search filters. There are even AVRs with up-to-date specs (4k passthrough, HDCP 2.2, HDR) in your price range.

If the Bics really have their claimed sensitivity of 98dB/W, it won't take a lot of power to drive them.

If you search the forum, you'll find that some people like A4L, while others would refuse to do business with them. Their return policy is not generous. I have bought only one refurb from them, a Denon AVR-X4300H. It was perfect. I bought some Canton speakers, but they were new.

At the risk of giving offense, you might get more responses if you avoided posting in run-on sentences. Old guys like me find them painful to read.
jwb0007 likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM

xreaper,

Thx for the BIC tower comments. I would love to hear them (as I mentioned, I have had many Klipsch, Infinity, and Polk towers).

Re A4L (Accessories 4 Less) refurbs, I have bought a NUMBER of receivers from them. Some with the New Leaf extended warranty. Am glad I had to use the NL warranty only 1 time, but my purchases and transactions/dealings w/ A4L have alwasy been satisfactory and--for me--a good deal.

Jim
St. Louis, MO area
Speakers: BIC America LH6-LCR and FH-65B, Polk RTi6, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
post #10 of 14 Old 05-22-2018, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

ok, im not sure i want to take the chance of my receiver burning up lol so i found another good deal any thoughts on the

Yamaha RX-V581? it seems to have burr browns and all the other things i like its a bit less power than the integra 40.3 but

i think it will do the job,does anyone know if its bi-wire capable on the fronts?

and yeah im open to refurbished units or even good used ones.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

ok so i think i narrowed my choices down to 4,if you guys had to pick would you go with

the integra 40.3 and hope it dont burn up (even though i would be putting fans on it)

the yamaha rx-v581 or the

pioneer elite vsx-lx101 only thing about this one is im not sure how they sound. or the

denon avr-s920w ......so there they are choices choices,im sad the 40.3 has those issues cuz i fell in love with it but if any of these others can offer the same great sound,then im all for it.

Thanks for the replies,you guys are the best!

Last edited by xreaperx22; 05-22-2018 at 02:18 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

so i bit the bullet and bought the integra 40.3,but fedex man i hate fedex,dude left it in front of my door without knocking,glad i heard it hit my door when he placed it otherwise it would surely been stolen,i opened the door and he was halfway down the hallway so i gave him a few choice words as he departed lol. thanks all for the input!
post #13 of 14 Old 06-16-2018, 01:37 PM

xreaper,

Please let me know your thoughts. I am "this close" to pulling the trigger on the 30.4, as I want it only to power speakers in my basement office (internet radio, CD, and flash drive w/ music).

Thoughts about your BIC speakers? I am soooo delighted with mine (and the 2 Polk PSW505 I have), and glad that I sold my more expensive speakers for my BICs. Of course, not everyone will agree . . .

Jim
St. Louis, MO area
post #14 of 14 Old 06-17-2018, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb0007 View Post
xreaper,

Please let me know your thoughts. I am "this close" to pulling the trigger on the 30.4, as I want it only to power speakers in my basement office (internet radio, CD, and flash drive w/ music).

Thoughts about your BIC speakers? I am soooo delighted with mine (and the 2 Polk PSW505 I have), and glad that I sold my more expensive speakers for my BICs. Of course, not everyone will agree . . .
@xreaperx22 I’m with you, **** FedEx.

And to Jwb, I agree w/ you, BIC makes really nice budget components. They fudge their specs a little but nevertheless for what they cost & how they sound it doesn’t much bother me.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page