Dolby to restict use of other upmixers on Atmos products - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7867 Post(s)
Liked: 7056
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
That's what I was thinking, so really, how are the upfiring speakers any different from any other speakers in terms of what the upmixer will do?
The Elevation squiggle in Atmos Enabled upfiring speakers tricks our hearing into perceiving sounds as coming from above. Regular speakers can't do that because they have no height virtualizer processing built in.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
The Elevation squiggle in Atmos Enabled upfiring speakers tricks our hearing into perceiving sounds as coming from above. Regular speakers can't do that because they have no height virtualizer processing built in.
Yes, that’s what I was saying. It doesn’t matter to the receiver if you have a regular speaker mounted in the ceiling or a reflecting speaker mounted on top of a front tower or bookshelf. It sends the same signal either way and the reflecting speakers make the necessary adjustments inside the speaker. So for purposes of upmixers it doesn’t matter if you have reflecting speakers or ceiling mounted regular speakers.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #33 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
So for purposes of upmixers it doesn’t matter if you have reflecting speakers or ceiling mounted regular speakers.
Correct, it doesn't matter to the upmixer or decoder. However, it does matter to the room correction, which will try to smoothen any squiggles in the frequency response. If the Elevation squiggle is flattened out, then there goes the virtual height effect. So if you tell your receiver that you're using upfiring speakers, then the room correction should insert the Elevation squiggle in its target curve.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Quote:
Correct, it doesn't matter to the upmixer or decoder. However, it does matter to the room correction, which will try to smoothen any squiggles in the frequency response. If the Elevation squiggle is flattened out, then there goes the virtual height effect. So if you tell your receiver that you're using upfiring speakers, then the room correction should insert the Elevation squiggle in its target curve.
Sanjay using the word squiggle
Love it!

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a (SOLD) and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #35 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Seems like a silly thing for them to go out of their way to restrict. Don't see what it "buys" them.
They are trying to run a closed ecosystem. As much as I spend on things, I will only be buying source devices where I can turn Dolby Vision off for one... This is just another overreach.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #36 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Yeah, you know me: avoid technical terms whenever possible.

Sanjay
post #37 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Seems like a silly thing for them to go out of their way to restrict. Don't see what it "buys" them.
Dolby will probably say something like we are enforcing this restriction because we want out codec to be heard exactly as it was intended and overlaying it with any other format lessens the Dolby experience.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #38 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 3473 Post(s)
Liked: 3684
Quote:
Love it!
What did you think the "s" in @sdurani stood for?

I wonder about the market share and longevity of Atmos and such. I know, multichannel is here to stay by all accounts, but finding room and money for all the extra speakers is a challenge for many if not most of us. I wonder just what percentage of users buying Atmos AVRs actually install the extra speakers? If small, as I suspect, further limiting the application seems a poor idea.

I for one am looking forward to the day I have the room to install height speakers if for nothing more than to give the bats in the belfry a target other than my bald head.

Edit: Wait, and what does the "s" in @smurraybhm stand for? Hmmm??? You two related somehow?
sdurani and smurraybhm like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 06-01-2018 at 11:24 AM.
post #39 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24521 Post(s)
Liked: 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Luke what receiver are you using and check your setup because the Dolby up mixer absolutely uses every single speaker including the backs? Myself and others use it all the time and get all content up mixed to backs and every other speaker. It uses all the speakers just like Atmos but without the Atmos object processing. If you're not getting 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 up mixed to all your speakers then something is not right.
Unfortunately it doesn't use Front Wide, which DTS Neural:X can use.
tential likes this.
post #40 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't use Front Wide, which DTS Neural:X can use.
I don't have front wide so you would know better than me. Thanks for correcting me.
tential likes this.

post #41 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
What did you think the "s" in @sdurani stood for?

I wonder about the market share and longevity of Atmos and such. I know, multichannel is here to stay by all accounts, but finding room and money for all the extra speakers is a challenge for many if not most of us. I wonder just what percentage of users buying Atmos AVRs actually install the extra speakers? If small, as I suspect, further limiting the application seems a poor idea.

I for one am looking forward to the day I have the room to install height speakers if for nothing more than to give the bats in the belfry a target other than my bald head.

Edit: Wait, and what does the "s" in @smurraybhm stand for? Hmmm??? You two related somehow?
Don - it would be an honor to be related to such a class act.

The extra speakers aren't that big of stretch financially, especially compared to what can be spent on a pre-amp, amps, and then a few decent subs. I used Def Tech PM1000s bought from eBay - there is a refurb operator with a great rep. $300 or so later I've got my 7.2.4 (already had the base layer in place). I know your using an XMC-1 which doesn't offer Atmos yet, but you ever have the chance I highly recommend trying Atmos some day, you've put together a very nice system which would only help it sound better. I used step ladders to experiment with placement. So you don't have to get too crazy just to give it a try. The limited amount of music available in Atmos sounds REALLY good too.

I get Atmos wanting to control their eco system - there making the investments and selling it to the studios. Love some of the re-issues coming out on UHD with Atmos - Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, Patriot, Die Hard, etc. Everyone hates the front runner. In the end you can still switch to PCM and pick your flavor at least for blu or UHD. No different then the limitation that was in place with Denon a few years ago. If all else fails, just add a few clicks to the speakers up top and it will be more like Neural.
sdurani likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a (SOLD) and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #42 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Don - it would be an honor to be related to such a class act.
OK, 'fess up, how much is Sanjay paying you?

Quote:
The extra speakers aren't that big of stretch financially, especially compared to what can be spent on a pre-amp, amps, and then a few decent subs. I used Def Tech PM1000s bought from eBay - there is a refurb operator with a great rep. $300 or so later I've got my 7.2.4 (already had the base layer in place). I know your using an XMC-1 which doesn't offer Atmos yet, but you ever have the chance I highly recommend trying Atmos some day, you've put together a very nice system which would only help it sound better. I used step ladders to experiment with placement. So you don't have to get too crazy just to give it a try. The limited amount of music available in Atmos sounds REALLY good too.
I do not disagree, but most folk have to deal with folk who might not like a bunch of high speakers, let alone wides, and the hassle of placement in a multipurpose room. The cost might not be too bad, though in my case not sure what/where I'd hang them and in-wall/in-ceiling is not an option even if I would do such a thing (not my cup of tea). With floating walls and ceiling and gobs of room treatment, I'd have to figure out a good place to put the Atmos guys. I've a local dealer very interested in helping if I ever get to that, natch.

Quote:
I get Atmos wanting to control their eco system - there making the investments and selling it to the studios. Love some of the re-issues coming out on UHD with Atmos - Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, Patriot, Die Hard, etc. Everyone hates the front runner. In the end you can still switch to PCM and pick your flavor at least for blu or UHD. No different then the limitation that was in place with Denon a few years ago. If all else fails, just add a few clicks to the speakers up top and it will be more like Neural.
Yah, one of these days, if Work and Life ever slow down a bit...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #43 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Luke what receiver are you using and check your setup because the Dolby up mixer absolutely uses every single speaker including the backs? Myself and others use it all the time and get all content up mixed to backs and every other speaker. It uses all the speakers just like Atmos but without the Atmos object processing. If you're not getting 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 up mixed to all your speakers then something is not right.
It can use a pair of back speakers but it won't use a (single) back speaker.
post #44 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Ah, I didn’t even think about room correction messing with the built-in curve. So if you identify your height speakers as upfiring any receiver should know not to remove the squiggle? I don’t have a modern receiver but I imagine they pretty much all have graphical interfaces to make that pretty simple these days.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #45 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
It can use a pair of back speakers but it won't use a (single) back speaker.
It must be the way your receiver handles back speakers because I have an Anthem MRX 720 and I disconnected one of my backs and reran my ARC calibration file and it still up mixes to the single back speaker like it does two.

post #46 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
So what they're trying to say is I'm watching the hockey game which is Dolby Digital and since I can't hear commentary during the game if I try to use Neural:X my receiver won't let me? If so that really sucks because I just discovered that hockey games sound great using DTS Neural:X. I'm actually able to hear the play by play AND the surround speakers play the arena sounds.
Is there any way to set your cable/sat box to output PCM? If so, then you could apply the DTS signal to the soundtrack of the game.
post #47 of 63 Old 06-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
So if you identify your height speakers as upfiring any receiver should know not to remove the squiggle?
I know Audyssey doesn't EQ away the Elevation squiggle, but don't know about other room correction systems.

BTW, in case you want to see what the squiggle looks like. From Dolby's patent filing:

SuperFist and vn800art like this.

Sanjay
post #48 of 63 Old 06-02-2018, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It must be the way your receiver handles back speakers because I have an Anthem MRX 720 and I disconnected one of my backs and reran my ARC calibration file and it still up mixes to the single back speaker like it does two.
Did you run a 7.1 channel test to verify that back-left and back-right channels are both playing (out of the same speaker)?

Last edited by Luke M; 06-02-2018 at 03:28 AM.
post #49 of 63 Old 06-02-2018, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
Is there any way to set your cable/sat box to output PCM? If so, then you could apply the DTS signal to the soundtrack of the game.
Most such devices won't output 5.1 PCM, only 2-channel.
post #50 of 63 Old 06-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Ah yes, the squiggle... Properly rotated and enhanced:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATMOS_simpson.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	2410776  
jamin, sdurani and TL5 like this.

post #51 of 63 Old 06-02-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
I don't see an option for pcm on the set top box.
post #52 of 63 Old 06-03-2018, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
If you can't beat the competition, block them, well played Dolby.

Neural:X is the only upmixer I use.
vn800art likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #53 of 63 Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Just saw this on audioholics channel - https://youtu.be/mOR1qlcGdjc

This is not good for consumers. Thoughts?
This is a load of rubbish. Why would you care? Every receiver that has provision for Dolby Atmos (or any of their surround modes) includes the Dolby processor (I hate it being called an UPMIXER, it is a PROCESSOR. The receiver will almost certainly also include the DTS processor which in 2018 will (like the Dolby processor) have the DTS-X immersive sound mode processing included. The receiver automatically senses what signal is presented to the terminals and routes it to the appropriate processor. Who cares if you can't force a Dolby signal through a DTS processor. Why would you want that anyway. Are you suggesting that the DTS processor will do a better job of processing and routing a Dolby signal the the Dolby processor. Rubbish. What a waste of space this is.
post #54 of 63 Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
If you can't beat the competition, block them, well played Dolby.

Neural:X is the only upmixer I use.
And your sound suffers for it. Why would a Neural-X processor do a better job than a native Dolby processor?
I am not saying I am a pure Dolby advocate. I am saying that you have purpose-built processors for specific signal types, use them. Anything else is a simulation.

Last edited by Murbella7; 06-05-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #55 of 63 Old 06-05-2018, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
And your sound suffers for it. Why would a Neural-X processor do a better job than a native Dolby processor?
I am not saying I am a pure Dolby advocate. I am saying that you have purpose-built processors for specific signal types, use them. Anything else is a simulation.
The original signal format shouldn't matter at all. As I understand it, all the actual processing for the upmixers is done in PCM. So the Dolby or DTS signal is converted before processing, no matter what upmixer you choose.

I could be wrong though.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #56 of 63 Old 06-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
The original signal format shouldn't matter at all. As I understand it, all the actual processing for the upmixers is done in PCM. So the Dolby or DTS signal is converted before processing, no matter what upmixer you choose.

I could be wrong though.
I suppose my real argument here is 'why bother'? You have all the processors in the one box. So unless it's because you (in the general tense) like to fiddle, I can't see the point of it.
post #57 of 63 Old 06-06-2018, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
I suppose my real argument here is 'why bother'? You have all the processors in the one box. So unless it's because you (in the general tense) like to fiddle, I can't see the point of it.
With DSU both pairs of tops get the same signal and it keeps the remapped sounds in the bed channels. It's more of an ambient, less focused(or pinpoint) sound for me.

Neural:X can locate sounds overhead almost as good as native Atmos. It also removes the sound that it remaps to the heights. Not saying it's perfect as it can remap the wrong sounds every now and then.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #58 of 63 Old 06-06-2018, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
I process Dolby Atmos and DTS:X natively. For all other formats I use Neural:X for the simple reason that I like the sound stage extended to my front wides. Something the Dolby Surround Upmixer never will support.

Once theses changes are implemented by Dolby I will only be able to get PCM or DTS audio to use the front wides (besides Atmos that is).

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #59 of 63 Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Why would a Neural-X processor do a better job than a native Dolby processor?
You haven't heard the difference?

Sanjay
post #60 of 63 Old 06-06-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2778 Post(s)
Liked: 2686
Quote:
You had a different experience than I had.

This is better served over in the Anthem thread, but when I got my 720, it was to be used in a 6.1 system. ARC would throw an error when it got to the missing back speaker channel and at that point, it would go no further. I spoke directly with Anthem at that time, and they advised that 6.1 was not supported. I reconfigured the back channels to off, and was able to complete ARC. I have subsequently gone to a 5.1.4 set-up with DAE speakers, and ARC was perfectly happy with that as well.

As I have no more wires available going to the back, nor channels to drive actual back speakers, I am good to go, but I am curious how ARC got passed a missing channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page