Onkyo AVRs TX-RZ630, TX-RZ730, TX-RZ830 Introduced - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 347 Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,950
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Monolith claims THX Ultra certified.
Oops...I stand corrected and the OP should set to “yes.”

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 347 Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 364
own the 830 and i am curious if anybody have any manual eq settings to share as i am still not happy with music how it sounds as compared to my 818 ...i love atmos movies but music is lacking in the detail and mids ..feels like analitical and not refined .
do not want to return it as i have not spent enough time but its driving me nuts getting it to sound as good as the 818

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
malmstump is offline  
post #303 of 347 Old 06-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
own the 830 and i am curious if anybody have any manual eq settings to share as i am still not happy with music how it sounds as compared to my 818 ...i love atmos movies but music is lacking in the detail and mids ..feels like analitical and not refined .
do not want to return it as i have not spent enough time but its driving me nuts getting it to sound as good as the 818
Your just gonna have to play with the eq a little bit. Your room is different from every body else’s, and what sounds good to you, might not sound good to me or the next person. But make sure to use the manual eq and not the tone controls. If you’re using pretty efficient speakers, the tone control will add a bit of hiss if the volume is cranked
malmstump likes this.
jsb75 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #304 of 347 Old 06-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Your just gonna have to play with the eq a little bit. Your room is different from every body else’s, and what sounds good to you, might not sound good to me or the next person. But make sure to use the manual eq and not the tone controls. If you’re using pretty efficient speakers, the tone control will add a bit of hiss if the volume is cranked
And the 818 has Audyssey x32? Are you comparing with no eq. I went from a Denon with x32 and really miss it compared to accueq. Going to get a minisdsp for sub eq
malmstump likes this.
jsb75 is online now  
post #305 of 347 Old 06-01-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
And the 818 has Audyssey x32? Are you comparing with no eq. I went from a Denon with x32 and really miss it compared to accueq. Going to get a minisdsp for sub eq
thnx jsb ,i am using the accu eq on and standing wave on as well .yes every room is different 100 % but the audyssey same setup sounded refined ..i do not want to give up yet as there is a lot i like about the 830 like the atmos but music
not there yet

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
malmstump is offline  
post #306 of 347 Old 06-01-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 364
gonna turn off tones treble and bass

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
malmstump is offline  
post #307 of 347 Old 06-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Member
 
lightthief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Looking at picking up one of these.
It seems they are 7in high.
I have exactly that clearance.
Do these need extra headroom to vent heat or will it be fine?
lightthief is offline  
post #308 of 347 Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightthief View Post
Looking at picking up one of these.
It seems they are 7in high.
I have exactly that clearance.
Do these need extra headroom to vent heat or will it be fine?
Everything but class D amps get warm when you crank them, especially sitting in a cabinet. With the onkyo reputation for hdmi failures, a cooling fan should be included for free by Onkyo as a thank you for your loyalty.

All kidding aside, you will need this if you plan to keep it for a few years. It's only 1.5in tall and many here recommend it https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-R...gateway&sr=8-1

If not, then you need to modify the cabinet (DIY...DIY) or you will need to find a new home for it to be safe.
eriksells916 is offline  
post #309 of 347 Old 06-05-2019, 08:21 AM
Member
 
lightthief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Appreciate the response and suggestion.
I think I may have to skip the purchase all together unless I can find a smaller center then.
Current set up provides a bit of clearance with my Denon but the yeah just a couple inches either way. No ideal but I don’t run for long sessions and keep it cold in general.
Just funny that an inch may keep me from saving $1000.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lightthief is offline  
post #310 of 347 Old 06-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightthief View Post
Appreciate the response and suggestion.
I think I may have to skip the purchase all together unless I can find a smaller center then.
Current set up provides a bit of clearance with my Denon but the yeah just a couple inches either way. No ideal but I don’t run for long sessions and keep it cold in general.
Just funny that an inch may keep me from saving $1000.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No need to quit yet, this is DIY there is always a solution lol! Here are 2 options you might be able to build into your entertainment center, if you are handy? I built mine with dual 80mm PC fans out of the back since I have glass doors. They are now always closed after my 2 large dogs chased each other right into door smashing the tempered glass and almost snapping it backwards off the hinges and taking some trim with it. It was an expensive lesson learned. LOTS of putty!

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual fan control best.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	2576316   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual fan control.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	2576318  
eriksells916 is offline  
post #311 of 347 Old 06-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Returning my 830 unfortunately as it's fantastic with movies but with music my 818 is still king ...music sounds Luke a digital and not natural and I am not enjoying it at all .
Tried and tried with eq on manual eq
But I guess gonna have to go with marantz or denon x4500
gene4ht likes this.
malmstump is offline  
post #312 of 347 Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 137
@malmstump the 818 has a little more power but they should sound similar in 2 channel stereo as there should not be any sound processing?

The x4500 and kissing cousin marantz sr6013 are excellent HT receivers but not sure they will sound $400+ better than the rz830, which you already said sounded good? Are you keeping the 818 for 2 channel playback and then looking for an x4500 or sr6013 for HT?

Before you send it back, run the LCR preouts of the rz830 to the 818 and listen that way. You will then have best of both worlds?
eriksells916 is offline  
post #313 of 347 Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@malmstump the 818 has a little more power but they should sound similar in 2 channel stereo as there should not be any sound processing?

The x4500 and kissing cousin marantz sr6013 are excellent HT receivers but not sure they will sound $400+ better than the rz830, which you already said sounded good? Are you keeping the 818 for 2 channel playback and then looking for an x4500 or sr6013 for HT?

Before you send it back, run the LCR preouts of the rz830 to the 818 and listen that way. You will then have best of both worlds?
hi erik, the 830 is a great ht amp for sure but not musical as there is a lot for my ears to be desired .ireally think it is the audessey as i went today to a store and listened to the denon x3500 and turning it up it has the sound for music i a after
i know the denon uses the same almost dacs as the onkyo but the 830 is frustrating me as my klipsch klf s sounds off
and yes tried to use the 818 preout to compare and the 818 beats the 830 hands down in music which is very disapointing as i loved the 30 in 4 k is a beast but i feel it is more of ht champ and just ok for music
denon x3500/x4500 is my next move as marantz have their issues with 6013 and 7013 from what i read

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
malmstump is offline  
post #314 of 347 Old 06-11-2019, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Damn! The price just went up from $500 to now close to $700 on Amazon! Luckily I got 2 units already. One for me and another for a friend. Now another friend wants it but it's $200 more! I guess such good deals can't last forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
own the 830 and i am curious if anybody have any manual eq settings to share as i am still not happy with music how it sounds as compared to my 818 ...i love atmos movies but music is lacking in the detail and mids ..feels like analitical and not refined .
do not want to return it as i have not spent enough time but its driving me nuts getting it to sound as good as the 818
I also found it a bit cutting for music... i set the eq this way. Starting from I can't remember their numbers now, i think around 1000hz, put it down by 0.5db, then continue to go down 1db, 1.5db, sloping down till the end... you'l then get that smooth sound you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@malmstump the 818 has a little more power but they should sound similar in 2 channel stereo as there should not be any sound processing?

The x4500 and kissing cousin marantz sr6013 are excellent HT receivers but not sure they will sound $400+ better than the rz830, which you already said sounded good? Are you keeping the 818 for 2 channel playback and then looking for an x4500 or sr6013 for HT?

I didn't know you can use the old receiver as just the amp? will this work?

Before you send it back, run the LCR preouts of the rz830 to the 818 and listen that way. You will then have best of both worlds?
malmstump likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #315 of 347 Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Damn! The price just went up from $500 to now close to $700 on Amazon! Luckily I got 2 units already. One for me and another for a friend. Now another friend wants it but it's $200 more! I guess such good deals can't last forever.



I also found it a bit cutting for music... i set the eq this way. Starting from I can't remember their numbers now, i think around 1000hz, put it down by 0.5db, then continue to go down 1db, 1.5db, sloping down till the end... you'l then get that smooth sound you're looking for.
hey cool geek , i need you to please take a close pic of your eq as i am curious and want to try it so your saying a slope downward
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 soon denonx4500
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
malmstump is offline  
post #316 of 347 Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 137
@malmstump thanks for the info that helps.

Yea the 818 has the original xt32 which is probably why you like the x3500/x4500 so much ha ha.

All good, they are great receivers so good luck! x3500 is capped at 7 channels plus zone 2 via preout, the x4500 is 9 but goes to 11 with ext amp. I believe they both just got the earc update but of course the step up to the x4500 adds more power, lower thd, aura 3d and imax enhanced.

The x4500 used to go on sale at Frys all the time, if you can wait?

Yes thanks @coolgeek I am sure a lot of people here will appreciate your settings update.
malmstump likes this.
eriksells916 is offline  
post #317 of 347 Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
iraweiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Damn! The price just went up from $500 to now close to $700 on Amazon! Luckily I got 2 units already. One for me and another for a friend. Now another friend wants it but it's $200 more! I guess such good deals can't last forever.



I also found it a bit cutting for music... i set the eq this way. Starting from I can't remember their numbers now, i think around 1000hz, put it down by 0.5db, then continue to go down 1db, 1.5db, sloping down till the end... you'l then get that smooth sound you're looking for.
Check Crutchfield
iraweiss is offline  
post #318 of 347 Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Damn! The price just went up from $500 to now close to $700 on Amazon! Luckily I got 2 units already. One for me and another for a friend. Now another friend wants it but it's $200 more! I guess such good deals can't last forever.
The 830? Price has not changed.
titan ii is offline  
post #319 of 347 Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 27,368
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
rz830 is back at low price on Amazon. Get it now while you can.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #320 of 347 Old 06-13-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
hey cool geek , i need you to please take a close pic of your eq as i am curious and want to try it so your saying a slope downward
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@malmstump thanks for the info that helps.

Yea the 818 has the original xt32 which is probably why you like the x3500/x4500 so much ha ha.

All good, they are great receivers so good luck! x3500 is capped at 7 channels plus zone 2 via preout, the x4500 is 9 but goes to 11 with ext amp. I believe they both just got the earc update but of course the step up to the x4500 adds more power, lower thd, aura 3d and imax enhanced.

The x4500 used to go on sale at Frys all the time, if you can wait?

Yes thanks @coolgeek I am sure a lot of people here will appreciate your settings update.
This is what I did... i rolled off the frequencies as it approaches 1000hz... you can experiment with this till you get the sound you like.. what I did was listen to some vocals that i know very well.. at first this receiver sounded a bit harsh to me... compared to my 818 (which was smoother, and warmer),... i don't know why... but i recognize the frequencies that were responsible... this is exactly the same thing that happens after i use audyssey with my old onkyo as well.. it became more harsh... i had to turn audyssey off...

Anyways, here's the photo of my current setting. You may want to adjust as per your taste and speaker...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_011714.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	2579480  
coolgeek is offline  
post #321 of 347 Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan ii View Post
The 830? Price has not changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
rz830 is back at low price on Amazon. Get it now while you can.
OK, i meant the seller that was able to ship to my country... the rest can only ship to a US address. The one that could ship to my country sold out apparently and then the others who do, are selling for $690 or something.. i was getting it for $550.

But anyways, I already bought 2 units... and now i may have a deal on a Marantz SR7012,... this is a year older, but it should have all the HDMI capabilities as the RZ830.. i am curious about it's SQ
coolgeek is offline  
post #322 of 347 Old 06-13-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,950
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
OK, i meant the seller that was able to ship to my country... the rest can only ship to a US address. The one that could ship to my country sold out apparently and then the others who do, are selling for $690 or something.. i was getting it for $550.

But anyways, I already bought 2 units... and now i may have a deal on a Marantz SR7012,... this is a year older, but it should have all the HDMI capabilities as the RZ830.. i am curious about it's SQ
I’ve auditioned the SR8012 in my home. The newer Marantz AVR’s with HDAM have a distinctively warmer SQ that you may like.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is offline  
post #323 of 347 Old 06-13-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
I’ve auditioned the SR8012 in my home. The newer Marantz AVR’s with HDAM have a distinctively warmer SQ that you may like.
I had the Marantz SR7400 (very old bugger, prob more than 10 years old)... it was fantastic... lasted me quite many years... I still have it now actually.. i am not selling it but just use it for other rooms or maybe keep as a museum piece...

I recently heard form a local seller here that the newer Marantz also aren't as well built as their older generations.. ie, the 7012 is better than the 7013.. this, according to him is likely because of the 'price wars' and the pressure to cramp more 'stuff' into the receiver and still sell at a competitive price... meaning something has to go.. ie, quality of the amp section...
coolgeek is offline  
post #324 of 347 Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,950
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I had the Marantz SR7400 (very old bugger, prob more than 10 years old)... it was fantastic... lasted me quite many years... I still have it now actually.. i am not selling it but just use it for other rooms or maybe keep as a museum piece...

I recently heard form a local seller here that the newer Marantz also aren't as well built as their older generations.. ie, the 7012 is better than the 7013.. this, according to him is likely because of the 'price wars' and the pressure to cramp more 'stuff' into the receiver and still sell at a competitive price... meaning something has to go.. ie, quality of the amp section...
Unfortunately, this is true of all brands! I've been a fan of Denon and Marantz for a long time....back when Denon produced the 5600, 5700, and 5800 series of monster AVR's and amps. Today's Marantz SR 8012 however, is a bit of an exception as its design and build quality is an attempt to return to its older roots....copper chassis, better amps, and beefier power supply sections built around a toroidal transformer. But your dealer is correct...most of today's AVR manufacturers are more interested in selling and pushing "features" and allowing SQ to take a back seat...it's all about marketing and it's unfortunate. And we must not forget that today's consumers think that great sound is what comes out of their iPhones. Anyway, here's an interesting article that reflects what we're talking about....

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-can-30...than-new-ones/

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is offline  
post #325 of 347 Old 06-14-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Unfortunately, this is true of all brands! I've been a fan of Denon and Marantz for a long time....back when Denon produced the 5600, 5700, and 5800 series of monster AVR's and amps. Today's Marantz SR 8012 however, is a bit of an exception as its design and build quality is an attempt to return to its older roots....copper chassis, better amps, and beefier power supply sections built around a toroidal transformer. But your dealer is correct...most of today's AVR manufacturers are more interested in selling and pushing "features" and allowing SQ to take a back seat...it's all about marketing and it's unfortunate. And we must not forget that today's consumers think that great sound is what comes out of their iPhones. Anyway, here's an interesting article that reflects what we're talking about....

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-can-30...than-new-ones/
Unfortunate indeed. Those of us old enough remembers how things went. Initially, the 70s and 80s and part of 90s, it's all the rage for Separates... when Separates are performing way better than receivers.

And then the 90s roll along and as manufacturing and electronics becomes a commodity and cheap components are all as good as the esoteric expensive ones, we see that receivers becomes better than separates, arguebly... the best pre-amp is no pre-amp, the mantra.. cause you don't want to introduce more wires, etc, into the equation... and that were when receivers were built like tanks...

Then, recently, the information tech comes along and everyone wants all sorts of tech in them.. receivers becomes multi channels (now 11 channels), squeezing more and more into the same box, and every new tech they have to pay a royalty to, audyssey, THX, Atmos, this and that... and everything cost money... and people want em cheap... and now we arrive at the sorry state that we are at...

History repeats.. now, if you want a solid combination, maybe you'll need to go back to separates...
gene4ht likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #326 of 347 Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Member
 
valerianf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I catch the ball. For listening music I never found better than my amp-tuner Marantz from 1980!
It was in stereo then, and the amp had only 1 IC....
Nowadays we are multi-canal , 5.0 in my case.
Is Onkyo the good choice for multi-canal music?
I am dreaming of a Rx-Z840 or Z740.
valerianf is offline  
post #327 of 347 Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianf View Post
Well, I catch the ball. For listening music I never found better than my amp-tuner Marantz from 1980!
It was in stereo then, and the amp had only 1 IC....
Nowadays we are multi-canal , 5.0 in my case.
Is Onkyo the good choice for multi-canal music?
I am dreaming of a Rx-Z840 or Z740.

the new rz740/840 are supposed to have some improved items; imax enhanced, chromecast built in and my favorite, dedicated dacs for zone 2 and 3 to allow digital playback. The rz740 retail is $799 from Onkyo and looks pretty nice. The rz840 is coming soon.


I am an Integra guy, but the cousin Pioneer vsx-lx504 looks even better to me. Same features except the zone 3 dac is missing (not sure how or why) but this year they finally got their sh*t together and added mcacc advanced back in. I am not sure about dual sub control like audyssey xt32, but this one looks good to me. Even the 304 has all of those features, just no preouts.



If you do not need any of those new features or digital to zone 3, the rz830 at its current sales price is hard to beat. Look back through this thread and you will see that it is excellent for HT duty and now that some owners have been able to dial in accueq advance a little better, seems like its pretty good for music too.


Good luck!
eriksells916 is offline  
post #328 of 347 Old 06-25-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Suddenly my old onkyo 3009 stop sending signal out via the HDMI OUT to my tv..

anyone knows the procedure to reboot the system?
pee likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #329 of 347 Old 06-27-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 6,278
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Suddenly my old onkyo 3009 stop sending signal out via the HDMI OUT to my tv..

anyone knows the procedure to reboot the system?
To reset the AVR to its factory default, turn it on and while holding down VCR/DVR, press ON/STANDBY on the front of the unit. "Clear" will appear on the display and the AVR wil enter standby mode.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
post #330 of 347 Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Member
 
bsheasby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a question - I am trying to run a 7.1.4 setup using a two-channel amp for the Height 2 speakers. I have the amp plugged into the Height 2/zone 3 pre-out. However, when I run test tones to check levels, the Height 2 speakers and surround back speakers all play when the Height 2 speakers are only supposed to be playing. Nothing plays through any speakers whenever I select the surround back channels. I tried different settings but cannot get it to work the way it should (surround back plays through the surround back channels and Height 2 through the external amp). I’m hoping I am missing a setting or configuration somehow and someone who has successfully set this up can help me. Help, please! Thanks in advance!

Sony XBR75X900F TV | Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.4 | Monitor Audio Silver RS8 / RSLCR / 3i | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S 4K | Xfinity

Last edited by bsheasby; 07-11-2019 at 11:19 PM.
bsheasby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off