The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A880 / RX-A780 / RX-A680 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #331 of 343 Old 12-28-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
How are they formatted? How large are they? It might not be the brands of flash memory, but the format and size.

My older unit takes quite a while to read/index/and display contents of very large devices. Also ... I think Yamaha AVRs prefer FAT or FAT32, aka "Windows format." Not even sure if this is in the manual's specs section.

Oh, here's from the 880 manual

Talk about a cop-out: "we can't promise you that USB storage devices will work reliably." Thanks, Yamaha.
Marantz says the same thing. I formatted variously, including FAT32. I suppose the three sticks might have been too big (eight and 16-gig), but my test was one .mp3 song, so it wasn't overloaded. CS had me plug my iPhone into the USB port, and it wasn't recognized, either, though it did charge; he took that to mean something was amiss. The replacement acted the same way, and neither worked with AirPlay.

I don't want to have to burn CDs to hear my own music. I was hoping to have a variety of ways to play it - now I'm down to CDs, MusicCast, and either build a Raspberry Pi music player of buy a BluRay player with a USB port.

Last edited by Jaywalker1; 12-28-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 343 Old 12-29-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
8gb or 16gb are certainly not too big. When you format the drives, what are you formatting them in? Are you using all the OS defaults, or specifying block size and other details?

I don't think you've told us enough about Airplay problem to give a guess, but the problems you're having with networking suggests you're "over configuring" something. Two units having the same "failure" sure makes it look like something that you're doing, not the AVRs.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #333 of 343 Old 12-31-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
8gb or 16gb are certainly not too big. When you format the drives, what are you formatting them in? Are you using all the OS defaults, or specifying block size and other details?

I don't think you've told us enough about Airplay problem to give a guess, but the problems you're having with networking suggests you're "over configuring" something. Two units having the same "failure" sure makes it look like something that you're doing, not the AVRs.
When formatting, I'm using the OS defaults, both from a Mac and Ubuntu.

I also suspect the issue is operator oversight, but an hour on the phone with Crutchfield tech support didn't uncover it. The User Manual implies that AirPlay is pretty automated and therefore doesn't provide much in the way of details. I simply ensure both the A780 and my iPhone are on the same WiFi network, start playing an iTunes song, swipe up from the bottom to bring up the iTunes box, then press the AirPlay icon. The AirPlay box then launches, which should give me opportunity to select the Yamaha A780, but it isn't there to select - just the iPhone already selected.

I think the problem is that the AirPlay app is supposed to launch automatically and change the Yamaha A780 Input to AirPlay, also automatically, but it generally doesn't. I'm generally unable to change A780 input to AirPlay - it normally doesn't show up, and it is not "Input Skipped." I was able to set and view Input AirPlay by cycling the Net button under the Input arrows. Even when AirPlay Input was set in the Yamaha, however, the Yamaha did not show up as an AirPlay option on the iPhone. FWIW, I'm using 18 gHz HDMI cables.

Edit: Just hooked up a new BluRay player with a USB input. I finally got it to play music off the USB to the A780 and speakers - first time! Even that was tough, however - Pointe and Crucial USB sticks worked, SanDisk and Kingston Traveler USB sticks did not.

More edit: I've configured the system with the Yamaha using a static IP address in lieu of the normal DCHP. Still no AirPlay.

Last edited by Jaywalker1; 01-03-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 343 Old 01-06-2020, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any idea when Yamaha will be updating the 780? I'm thinking about buying one and just wanted to check that there wasn't going to be a release in the near future. I've got an Onkyo with HDMI issues and I'm ready to switch over to Yamaha.
post #335 of 343 Old 01-06-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
New receiver lines come out somewhere between April and September. Yamaha may announce release dates at CES this week.

The TSR-7850 is very similar to the RX-A780 but sold at Costco. Only comes with 2 year warranty but Costco has a great return policy. Might save some money by going that route.
ChromeJob likes this.

Afro GT
post #336 of 343 Old 01-08-2020, 04:57 PM

AirPlay and MusicCast

I was unable to use AirPlay and MusciCast and after a Yamaha customer service call have now found a solution.

My network has three separated SSIDs - one main LAN and two virtual LANs (VLANs). My household uses the main LAN and keeps one separate VLAN for guests, and another VLAN for Internet of Things (IoT) to keep these poorly-secured devices separate from family and guests. AirPlay and MusicCast just would not function on either of my two VLANs; they require the main LAN. I don't know how general this restriction is, though I cannot determine any real differences between LAN and VLAN setup on my router.

Here's the setup procedure that worked:
1. DHCP On - don’t need a static IP address.

2. On iPhone “Forget” all SSID networks but the main one - if there are VLANs, definitely forget them. When Yamaha says “Use the SSID at the top of the list,” believe them. This was key on my setup.

3. Join the Yamaha receiver to the main WiFi network in #2 , above. There are several ways to do this.

4. Receiver and playback device (my iPhone) must be on the same WiFi network and must remain on it during playback.

5. Use MusicCast Controller app to log in. App needs initial permission for Library and probably location (I turned that off later). It doesn’t need permission later for volume (handy, though) or analytics, so I turned the latter off. I did name the receiver location “Living Room” and this name shows up on the iPhone when initiating AirPlay as the speakers I want to play. If MusciCast Controller works, AirPlay will probably work - mine did.

Most people have and use only one WiFi network. With that, AirPlay and MusicCast should set up well, though I prefer to maintain my separate SSIDs for security. If you're having trouble setting them up, give these steps a try.
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by Jaywalker1; 01-11-2020 at 07:59 AM.
post #337 of 343 Old 01-11-2020, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Everyone ... Not sure how to phrase my current dilemma in order properly, but I've got a "chicken or the egg" problem. I have a RXA780 and I was unable to get Atmos sound from Directv or Roku Ultra. I attacked the Roku angle first exhaustively and gave up and bought a Nvidia Shield. I can now get my Yamaha to display Atmos, where Netflix content permits. With Directv though, on their 4k channel, I can get DD+, but no Atmos. I've tried resets, unplugging, and completely redid the Directv setup. In Directv's audio options, I have "Dolby Audio/Dolby Atmos" selected. I have a side issue (that might truly be unrelated) in that my Samsung Q90 TV will not show my HDMI audio connection under the Sound settings. It's working and I'm getting sound, but for the "Sound Output" it shows TV speaker, with the other options being Optical or Bluetooth Speaker List. Under the Samsung's Expert Settings, "Digital Output for Audio Format" can only be set to PCM. DD and DD+ are grayed out. I do have "Dolby Atmos Compatibility" checked on. The other unknown is if Directv has something going on and Atmos content just isn't currently available? I'm checking that in another thread.

is there anything though on the Yamaha side that I could have set incorrectly? Now that I am getting Atmos on Netflix (via Nvidia Shield), I'm thinking this is just a Directv problem. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Yamaha RXA780, Samsung QN65Q90RAFXZA, B&W 685 Bookshelf Fronts, B&W Center, Polk Audio Rear & Sub, Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Front Presence, Directv Genie 2 with C61k-700 Client, Nvidia Shield.
post #338 of 343 Old 01-12-2020, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalker1 View Post
I was unable to use AirPlay and MusciCast and after a Yamaha customer service call have now found a solution.

My network has three separated SSIDs - one main LAN and two virtual LANs (VLANs). My household uses the main LAN and keeps one separate VLAN for guests, and another VLAN for Internet of Things (IoT) to keep these poorly-secured devices separate from family and guests. AirPlay and MusicCast just would not function on either of my two VLANs; they require the main LAN. I don't know how general this restriction is, though I cannot determine any real differences between LAN and VLAN setup on my router.

... Most people have and use only one WiFi network. With that, AirPlay and MusicCast should set up well, though I prefer to maintain my separate SSIDs for security. If you're having trouble setting them up, give these steps a try.
Interesting setup, with all the the IoT smart devices I have I'd love to segregate. But my Netgear route is finicky enough already.

Something I did when I had Airplay and Net Radio problems was set the AVR to a static reserved IP, gave it Google's nameservers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) to bypass my broadband providers', and have never looked back. Reliable unless I have to burp the router.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #339 of 343 Old 01-12-2020, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraigiii View Post
Hi Everyone ... Not sure how to phrase my current dilemma in order properly, but I've got a "chicken or the egg" problem. I have a RXA780 and I was unable to get Atmos sound from Directv or Roku Ultra. I attacked the Roku angle first exhaustively and gave up and bought a Nvidia Shield. I can now get my Yamaha to display Atmos, where Netflix content permits. With Directv though, on their 4k channel, I can get DD+, but no Atmos. I've tried resets, unplugging, and completely redid the Directv setup. In Directv's audio options, I have "Dolby Audio/Dolby Atmos" selected. I have a side issue (that might truly be unrelated) in that my Samsung Q90 TV will not show my HDMI audio connection under the Sound settings. It's working and I'm getting sound, but for the "Sound Output" it shows TV speaker, with the other options being Optical or Bluetooth Speaker List. Under the Samsung's Expert Settings, "Digital Output for Audio Format" can only be set to PCM. DD and DD+ are grayed out. I do have "Dolby Atmos Compatibility" checked on. The other unknown is if Directv has something going on and Atmos content just isn't currently available? I'm checking that in another thread.

is there anything though on the Yamaha side that I could have set incorrectly? Now that I am getting Atmos on Netflix (via Nvidia Shield), I'm thinking this is just a Directv problem. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
I got a response over on DBSTALK. Turns out it's just limited Atmos content on Directv. I was able to find a program with Atmos and the Yamaha displayed it properly. Odd thing is, the overall volume was so much lower than anything else I've demoed. So it's probably just the "all things aren't created equally" scenario. At least though, I know my setup appears all set. Here's the response I got on DBSTALK. I've been with Directv 20 years and had no clue you could search on programming by audio type!

"There used to be a lot of Atmos programming on the 4k channel but they have recently disappeared. I believe Atmos on Directv started in 2017 or early 2018 with the Winter Olympics. Notre Dame Games might have had Atmos before that. All the Notre Dame games from this last year had Dolby Atmos. The ESPN college football games are also all in Atmos. (although ESPN atmos mix is not great because the audience sound drowns out the commentators talking from the center channel). I used to record all the Dolby Atmos programs on channel 104. There were about 10 or so programs in Atmos on 104 a while back but it has declined recently. If you go to the guide, click 0, then click sort programs by category, and then go to audio and video, and select Dolby Atmos..It'll show all the programs currently in Dolby Atmos. There were def a lot more available before though. But Directv recycles the programs that they show on 104, so they should come back on the guide eventually. Most of the Atmos programs were the Imax nature/documentary type shows. Right now the only Atmos programs it showing on the search are PPV movies and Florida Girls on 104. There were a lot more before but they should be back eventually. I would say the next guaranteed Atmos programming you'll see are from the two ESPN National Championship feeds on 105 and 106 on Monday night."

Yamaha RXA780, Samsung QN65Q90RAFXZA, B&W 685 Bookshelf Fronts, B&W Center, Polk Audio Rear & Sub, Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Front Presence, Directv Genie 2 with C61k-700 Client, Nvidia Shield.
post #340 of 343 Old 01-12-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Interesting setup, with all the the IoT smart devices I have I'd love to segregate. But my Netgear route is finicky enough already.

Something I did when I had Airplay and Net Radio problems was set the AVR to a static reserved IP, gave it Google's nameservers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) to bypass my broadband providers', and have never looked back. Reliable unless I have to burp the router.
Thanks. My Pepwave Surf SOHO router allows a pretty powerful set of security exclusions. Setting up a static IP was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work, unfortunately.

Until I spoke to Yamaha CS it never occurred to me that there was enough of a difference between a LAN and a Virtual LAN to prevent AirPlay from functioning. I suspect it has something to do with those security restrictions - not allowing VLANs to contact the router admin function, for instance, or different VLANs to communicate with one another.

I still have some work to do in order to maintain security while using music casting.
post #341 of 343 Old 01-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm planning on purchasing the A780, and currently making my way through the thread.

I am a blind user and have a couple of specific inquiries.
Could someone post a screenshot from the AVR's setup screen and the android app screen? I'm interested in whether or not the setup screens & app have black/dark backgrounds. I am unable to navigate white backgrounds.

I am also interested in the Google integration capabilities. Can anyone comment on the reliability of Google Assistant/Home, specifically input switching.

Thank you for your time and help.
Jeff

Yamaha TSR-7850
post #342 of 343 Old 01-14-2020, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post
I'm planning on purchasing the A780, and currently making my way through the thread.

I am a blind user and have a couple of specific inquiries.
Could someone post a screenshot from the AVR's setup screen and the android app screen? I'm interested in whether or not the setup screens & app have black/dark backgrounds. I am unable to navigate white backgrounds.

I am also interested in the Google integration capabilities. Can anyone comment on the reliability of Google Assistant/Home, specifically input switching.

Thank you for your time and help.
Jeff
Most Yamaha screens, and the mobile app, have black or dark backgrounds. Unfortunately, Yamaha seems to favor Alexa integration over Google Assistant.
Skid71 likes this.

post #343 of 343 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone! Has anyone experienced total network loss after about 5 minutes, or heard of this issue? This started very recently, like Thursday.
Happens like clockwork after power-on: net radio stops playing, and I can't find the receiver in Android app. Network options are inaccessible, and network info get stuck on "Please wait" message.
I've tried resetting the unit, but the issue persists. I sent CS a request, but wanted to try my luck on the forums as well. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
rx-a680 , rx-a780 , rx-a880

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page