The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A880 / RX-A780 / RX-A680 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #31 of 350 Old 10-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
One of these? Which model? The source must be set to "bitstream" and <BD Audio MIX Setting> should be set to "OFF."
Sorry the rx-A880 , and yes Sony Bluray is set to bitstream like the post saays BD Audio off. Tried them both Pcm,and Bit just in case

Last edited by ZIRO; 10-24-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 350 Old 10-25-2018, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23244 Post(s)
Liked: 12749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIRO View Post
Sorry the rx-A880 , and yes Sony Bluray is set to bitstream like the post saays BD Audio off. Tried them both Pcm,and Bit just in case
I repeated the first setting for confirmation that it must be "bitstream"; however, it's the second setting I listed (that you failed to mention) that matters most.
post #33 of 350 Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Watching video while listening to another source (Yamaha Aventage, Samsung QLED)

Hello, I've done a search and can't really find what I'm looking for so hopefully someone can help

I am running a Yamaha Aventage RX-a780, Samsung QLED one connect, Verizon cable box, among other things. Basically what I'm looking to do is to listen to music (Music cast Sirius/XM) while watching something from the Verizon cable box. All my HDMI sources pass through the Yamaha and the HDMI out goes to the Samsung one connect.
Is it possible to get the Yamaha to run two sources at once, one HDMI from the cable box and another separate audio, digital/music cast? I haven't found a way short of having the cable box go directly to the Samsung one connect and a separate optical to go to the Yamaha for the cable box.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 350 Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
yes, just select your non-hdmi music source and then press the option button on the remote. there should a video select option. Choose whatever HDMI input you want to watch at the same time.
Weazy likes this.

Afro GT
post #35 of 350 Old 11-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I repeated the first setting for confirmation that it must be "bitstream"; however, it's the second setting I listed (that you failed to mention) that matters most.

Fyi , I went through Level 1 and Level 2 support at Yamaha and they could not figure it out. Kept blaming my Blu ray player. Even though I also have a Firestick and Apple TV. Took my Player to Best Buy to prove to myself that it works, As it did on their ATMOS system. So, I decided to do a full reset on the receiver and that got the Atmos working. even though Yamaha said it would not do anything.
post #36 of 350 Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
yes, just select your non-hdmi music source and then press the option button on the remote. there should a video select option. Choose whatever HDMI input you want to watch at the same time.
This worked perfectly. Thank you!!
post #37 of 350 Old 11-15-2018, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fellas,

Any opinion about RX-A880. I am planning to buy one and use it as a preamp. I have a 7 channel high power amp and want to give it a use.
Any other receiver under the same grade and price range that can be considered and why.

Thanks
post #38 of 350 Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 AM

These Aventage models recently received a firmware update to restore the ability for the AVR to stream audio to Bluetooth headphones.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #39 of 350 Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the 880 convert component video input to HDMI output? The Denon I previously had did.
post #40 of 350 Old 11-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Also, is there a way to get the volume do display on the TV when you change it? If I'm in settings, and change the volume, it shows up on the tv. But when I exit setting and change the volume, it only shows on the 880's front panel display.
rk235 likes this.
post #41 of 350 Old 11-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouTiger View Post
Also, is there a way to get the volume do display on the TV when you change it? If I'm in settings, and change the volume, it shows up on the tv. But when I exit setting and change the volume, it only shows on the 880's front panel display.
I got this figured out. Had to turn Video Mode to "Direct".
post #42 of 350 Old 11-25-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Does the 880 convert component video input to HDMI output? The Denon I previously had did.
Yes, the A780 and higher models can do this.
post #43 of 350 Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the A780 and higher models can do this.
Another question relating to this, with regards to the video mode setting of either direct or processing, does that apply across the board to all inputs or just the input you are currently on? Specifically, I would like to set it to "processing" for the component video input, but direct for all of the HDMI inputs.
post #44 of 350 Old 11-26-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Have you read through the manual? You’re asking questions that will be answered there.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #45 of 350 Old 11-26-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Have you read through the manual? You’re asking questions that will be answered there.
I have, but that doesn't mean it's not in there. Page 128 addresses the video signal processing setting, but I don't see anything saying that the setting applies to all inputs or just to the current input.

That being said, it would have been great if you could have replied "current" or "all" or even just the page number in the manual where this question is answered.
post #46 of 350 Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have, but that doesn't mean it's not in there. Page 128 addresses the video signal processing setting, but I don't see anything saying that the setting applies to all inputs or just to the current input.

That being said, it would have been great if you could have replied "current" or "all" or even just the page number in the manual where this question is answered.
Things you're asking about: pages 145, 186, 99. P. 93 suggests that Video processing is an option specific to input sources, easily tested by setting to Processing for HDMI-IN 1, then checking if it's still Direct for HDMI-IN 2. Give it a try and let us know what you find out.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #47 of 350 Old 11-26-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Things you're asking about: pages 145, 186, 99. P. 93 suggests that Video processing is an option specific to input sources, easily tested by setting to Processing for HDMI-IN 1, then checking if it's still Direct for HDMI-IN 2. Give it a try and let us know what you find out.
I tried setting it to "processing" using AV_1 (component video input), but it appears that it gets applied across all sources since the on screen volume display disappeared when using the HDMI-IN 2.
post #48 of 350 Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried setting it to "processing" using AV_1 (component video input), but it appears that it gets applied across all sources since the on screen volume display disappeared when using the HDMI-IN 2.
I don't see how the two things (video processing, on-screen short message) are related, but okay. "Short message" setting (showing volume on screen in addition front panel display) is either working, or not. P. 145. (Some older AVRs only showed on-screen messages/menus in 1080p mode, not UHD. I can't speak for 2018 models.)

Those carefully reading the "Notes" on p. 94 (I didn't) would've seen this:
Quote:
When the input icon is displayed on the upper right of the “Option” menu, the setting is applied to the currently selected input source. Otherwise, the setting is applied to all of the input sources.

post #49 of 350 Old 11-27-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I don't see how the two things (video processing, on-screen short message) are related, but okay. "Short message" setting (showing volume on screen in addition front panel display) is either working, or not. P. 145. (Some older AVRs only showed on-screen messages/menus in 1080p mode, not UHD. I can't speak for 2018 models.)

Those carefully reading the "Notes" on p. 94 (I didn't) would've seen this:
I'm going to have to take a look at the Option Menu again tonight when I get home.

As far as the relationship between Video Processing and Short Messages, that was one item I did read in the manual. It's on page 128, last note on the bottom left side. Although, after re-reading it, it looks like if you don't convert the input resolution, the Short Messages should still work. I had set the resolution to convert from 480i to 1080p (for the component input that i have the Wii connected to) trying to get it to display in widescreen without the black bars on the sides - didn't work. Looks like the Yamaha only accepts 480i input component. On my previous Denon, the component inputs would accept 480p, so I could set the Wii to output 480p in widescreen and get a true 16:9 output to the television. Doesn't look like that's possible with the 880 - unless possibly if I purchase an HDMI converter for the Wii and connect it to one of the HDMI inputs on the 880. Not sure if it's worth it for as much as the Wii is used anymore.

Thanks for the info!
post #50 of 350 Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

480p has not been passed through to HDMI for a while. My RX-v663 did it, and was disappointed to find the RX-v775 did not. But the 775 has component OUT so I ran that to the TV’s component IN. (I do this for a PS2 and Yamaha DVD player, though I hardly ever play DVDs in the latter.)

I suspect this is because 480p is becoming increasingly less common.

post #51 of 350 Old 12-03-2018, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Silly question perhaps but where can I find the RX-A780 in the UK?

Yamaha UK don't list this unit, Yamaha EU do list it, but that's it, no link to any further info about it. However I have (from somewhere) found the Owner's Manual which clearly shows several specs that relate to Europe and to the UK. So where is it?

I've read some announcements about the new 80 range and that include the RX-A780 - in some places, but then leave it out elsewhere. All very strange.

This model looks ideal for what I want, but is it available in the UK or Europe? US sourced is no use as I want the DAB functionality which means UK or Europe, precisely where availability appears sketchy.

Anyone confirm what's going on with this model?
post #52 of 350 Old 12-03-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKenGB View Post
Silly question perhaps but where can I find the RX-A780 in the UK?

Yamaha UK don't list this unit, Yamaha EU do list it, but that's it, no link to any further info about it. However I have (from somewhere) found the Owner's Manual which clearly shows several specs that relate to Europe and to the UK. So where is it?...
On this page at europe.yamaha.com, the RX-A780 page isn't clickable, suggesting it's not an available European model. But the 880 is. Have you considered that? (You're right, the 780 is missing from the UK.yamaha.com page, but I think the listing on the European page is a glitch.)

I found the 880 on Amazon.co.uk. http://amzn.eu/d/10R48b3

You might also try Froogle.com , Google shopping search engine.

post #53 of 350 Old 12-04-2018, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
On this page at europe.yamaha.com, the RX-A780 page isn't clickable, suggesting it's not an available European model. But the 880 is. Have you considered that? (You're right, the 780 is missing from the UK.yamaha.com page, but I think the listing on the European page is a glitch.)

I found the 880 on Amazon.co.uk. http://amzn.eu/d/10R48b3

You might also try Froogle.com , Google shopping search engine.
Sure the 880 is (and some 870s still around), but the 780 is the one I really want as it's the cheapest that provides exactly what I need.

It is odd that the range would normally comprise the 6xx, 7xx and 8xx series (plus higher spec ranges), but for the latest x80 series, the 780 situation is confusing to say the least. The Owner's Manual clearly states that DAB is available on the UK version (and some others). Why print that if there's no UK model. What about the rest of Europe and even Russia?

It looks like the confusion exists for those variations with DAB. Is it perhaps just a delay before final supply of those models?
post #54 of 350 Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKenGB View Post
Spoiler!
Contact Yamaha.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-04-2018 at 11:11 AM.
post #55 of 350 Old 12-27-2018, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do the RX-A880 and RX-A780 with Apple TVs 4K Atmos? I know some yamaha receivers had issues.
post #56 of 350 Old 12-27-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMSPA View Post
Do the RX-A880 and RX-A780 with Apple TVs 4K Atmos? I know some yamaha receivers had issues.
Yes.

post #57 of 350 Old 12-28-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RX A780 With Comcast Remote

Has anyone successfully programmed their Comcast grey or red button remote to turn the RX A780 (or perhaps any of these newer A models) on and off and control volume and mute? I'm referring to the non-X1 Comcast remotes, the older larger silver color remotes with either a grey or red OK/Select button in the middle.

My new 780 replaces an RX A1010 that stopped working a few months ago. The 1010 required a special "double" code entry method on the remote to turn the 1010 both on and off with the red remote "All On" button. I had it working successfully with the 1010, but this technique does not work with the 780.

I have tried all three of the codes Comcast suggests for Yamaha - 0354, 0176 and 1176 for a grey button remote.

If the answer to my question is no, then is anyone using a Harmony remote to control their home theater and does it fully control the 780 (or I suppose other Yamahas in this newer lineup as well) successfully after doing a normal Harmony on-line setup?

All help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
post #58 of 350 Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently looking to upgrade my older Yamaha AV. Looking at the RX-A780 or the RX-V685. I know the 780 is the more upscale model with "better quality components" but does it have more features than the 685? Seams pretty similar on paper. Will I notice a big sound quality difference?

Yamaha RX-A780, Klipsch 12" sub, Samsung PN60F8500 , SamsungBD-E5900
post #59 of 350 Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytechie View Post
I am currently looking to upgrade my older Yamaha AV. Looking at the RX-A780 or the RX-V685. I know the 780 is the more upscale model with "better quality components" but does it have more features than the 685? Seams pretty similar on paper. Will I notice a big sound quality difference?
Will you hear any difference? Probably not. But you may find a feature in the Aventage model that isn’t in the 685. I believe it has a wee bit more power.

Another feature: longer warranty, IIRC.
xraytechie likes this.

post #60 of 350 Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New manuals available
Bluetooth transmission function
MusicCast Surround Speakers function

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
rx-a680 , rx-a780 , rx-a880

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page