The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A880 / RX-A780 / RX-A680 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #61 of 350 Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Problems with ARC and Samsung QLED and Yamaha RX-A780

For those who have had problems with ARC connection between Samsung and Yamaha:
Remember to turn HDMI Control ON and use AVR2 (default one) as the Input Video.
Forgive me if it is a silly comment but it took me couple hours to find it.

Miguel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 350 Old 01-13-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased the RX-A780 to replace an Onkyo TX-NR609 that the audio just died on.

I did a bunch of reading and was leaning toward the RX-V685, but the longer warranty and sounding like a bit better device I chose the 780
post #63 of 350 Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 PM

Firmware update RX-A780 "not found"

Hi
I spent couple of hours trying to do the last update of the RX-A780 unfruitfully, just to realize that the USB Drive should be FAT 32 formatted ...in the case that someone has faced that problem ...that is the Key!
It make Bluetooth ability out.

Miguel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 350 Old 01-13-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
The last update introduced Bluetooth broadcast ability. Here's the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #65 of 350 Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Right! That is what I meant, sorry for my english.
It make able the bluetooth capability

Miguel
post #66 of 350 Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Ordered the 780 and it should be here by tomorrow. Doing a 5.1.2 system with Episode speakers my custom installer buddy is selling me. Can't wait to give it a try. He let me listen to his on his Paradigm system and it's great.
post #67 of 350 Old 01-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Red face I got it!

Well I decided on the 780 over the 685. Will spend this weekend getting everything hooked up. Thanks to all for the comments and info the helped make my decision. Looking forward to added features, wifi and Bluetooth capability. Will I need to update firmware or should it come with the latest?

Yamaha RX-A780, Klipsch 12" sub, Samsung PN60F8500 , SamsungBD-E5900
post #68 of 350 Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytechie View Post
...Will I need to update firmware or should it come with the latest?
Yes. Have fun!

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #69 of 350 Old 01-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Does someone has been able to properly use the Bluetooth output feature?

I have a pair of Bose soundsport wireless earbuds, they do connect to my a880 but the volume is very, very low, at first I thought it wasn´t getting sound as the speakers do not stop playing when the unit is sending sound thru Bluetooth, listening very carefully in the earbuds I can hear some of the dialogues playing but cannot find a way to up their volume.

So they do connect and the receiver sends sound but it is useless at that low volume.
post #70 of 350 Old 01-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Question Trying to get Smart TV audio out of receiver

I have my normal cable feed going to TV via cable box thru receiver. That all works fine. When I want to stream from smart TV I cant get audio out of receiver. Can it be done with TV only connected via output HDMI? BTW I do have ARC turned on but unsure if I should have HDMI control on and if so what setting? or do I need to run a second HDMI back to receiver? Sorry this is a newbie question. just set the unit up this afternoon.

post #71 of 350 Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have my normal cable feed going to TV via cable box thru receiver. That all works fine. When I want to stream from smart TV I cant get audio out of receiver. Can it be done with TV only connected via output HDMI? BTW I do have ARC turned on but unsure if I should have HDMI control on and if so what setting? or do I need to run a second HDMI back to receiver? Sorry this is a newbie question. just set the unit up this afternoon.
Most Yamaha AVRS require HDMI-CEC (“HDMI Control”) to be enabled for HDMI-ARC to work as well. Check in the manual for details.

post #72 of 350 Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Still fighting with this configuration. Trying to get audio from smart TV to play out to system speakers. I have HDMI control set to on as well as ARC checked. The audio should go from TV to AVR via "audio return channel" of HDMI cable. I am using input #3 as Blue ray is #1 and STB is #2 . Have TV audio set to external. HDMI audio is set to HDMI#3

I even tried using a toslink cable from TV to AVR plugged into "audio1" input and the set HDMI #3 to look at that input and it still does not work. What am I missing?????

post #73 of 350 Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
The AVR has to be set to TV Audio when sending audio from TV to AVR. If you configured the Yamaha to default to the correct optical input (OPT1 is default) you should have no problem.
ChromeJob likes this.

Afro GT
post #74 of 350 Old 01-24-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Still fighting with this configuration. Trying to get audio from smart TV to play out to system speakers. I have HDMI control set to on as well as ARC checked. The audio should go from TV to AVR via "audio return channel" of HDMI cable. I am using input #3 as Blue ray is #1 and STB is #2 . Have TV audio set to external. HDMI audio is set to HDMI#3

I even tried using a toslink cable from TV to AVR plugged into "audio1" input and the set HDMI #3 to look at that input and it still does not work. What am I missing?????
You're overcomplicating this. What model do you have? Return the TV ARC audio to the default, which should be listed in your manual. It doesn't have to be changed to an HDMI input (and should NOT so that you can use that HDMI input). Generally the default is AV4 or AV1 or something. Again -- look it up in the manual.

Using teh AVR default also ensures that the Scene for "TV viewing" works without reconfiguring.
xraytechie likes this.

post #75 of 350 Old 01-25-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
You're overcomplicating this. What model do you have? Return the TV ARC audio to the default, which should be listed in your manual. It doesn't have to be changed to an HDMI input (and should NOT so that you can use that HDMI input). Generally the default is AV4 or AV1 or something. Again -- look it up in the manual.

Using teh AVR default also ensures that the Scene for "TV viewing" works without reconfiguring.
Thanks for the help, Using my logitech one I set the AVR to use "scene 7" which is set up for streaming, left all cables as they were and now it works. I did not realize there was a scene button for streaming. I do use scene setting for the STB and blueray.
BTW Cromejob, AVR is the RX-A780 and thanks again for jogging the ole brain.

post #76 of 350 Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Amp quality?

I currently am using a rx-v677 and am looking at getting a new reciever for 4k. The power differences between the higher model rx-v series and the lower aventage models is low. What I would like feedback on is if the amps are of better quality in the aventage than the rx-v. Are the aventage models truly an upgrade over the higher model rx-v models?
post #77 of 350 Old 01-26-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxjamb View Post
I currently am using a rx-v677 and am looking at getting a new reciever for 4k. The power differences between the higher model rx-v series and the lower aventage models is low. What I would like feedback on is if the amps are of better quality in the aventage than the rx-v. Are the aventage models truly an upgrade over the higher model rx-v models?
The Aventage models are said to contain higher quality internal components, an extra foot on the cabinet to resist vibration, and (perhaps most important) an extra year on the warranty. I'll let current owners extoll the other virtues.

Since you're used to a 600 series, I would compare the TSR-7850 at Costco (currently with a rebate until 2/03) with a RX-A 780 or -880; if your budget allows, also compare with the -1080. Not a member of Costco? NP, you can join, order online, get it shipped to you, then cancel your membership later if you don't use it.

If you'd consider a prior year model, compare with the TSR-7810 (may still be available), RX-V683, RX-A-770, -870, -1070.

I hope this helps....
coxjamb likes this.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 02-22-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: No Square Trade offered on AVRs
post #78 of 350 Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Well I decided on the 780 over the 685. Will spend this weekend getting everything hooked up. Thanks to all for the comments and info the helped make my decision. Looking forward to added features, wifi and Bluetooth capability. Will I need to update firmware or should it come with the latest?

The firmware will automatically update after set. If you have an iPad, use the software to do setup. Much easier. I did it right before Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
xraytechie likes this.
post #79 of 350 Old 01-26-2019, 03:20 PM

Yahama RX-A780 - Delayed Audio from Dialogue

I recently purchased a Yahama RX-A780 to replace my old HTR-5890. My previous video connection was 3 cable video, now using hdmi. I do not use the tv speakers at all. I am now finding that there is a small delay of the audio from the dialogue of the video. Everything I am finding points to the ability to further delay the audio, but not quicken it.

I have contacted tech support, and have turned on the processing. This has shortened the delay time, but it is still off. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

post #80 of 350 Old 01-26-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 735
What is the source?
Typically the video stream is slowed down due to certain conditions including carrier repeaters, signal latency, video processing...
Try turning OFF some of the AVR's video processing features..
This dilemma often comes up when trying to play a high frame rate source such as an action game through a dated HD display panel..
Also be sure to use quality HDMI cables not the bargain basement cheapies.

Just my $0.02...
PAdams2359 likes this.
post #81 of 350 Old 01-28-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If at all possible, do not use your TV as the source.
post #82 of 350 Old 01-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
If at all possible, do not use your TV as the source.

The DirecTV goes to hdmi input 2, then use video output 1 to the TV for video only. I turned on Processing, which got the audio and video closer. There are many options to lengthen the video and audio timing, but zero is as low as it will go, unlike the volume which I like at -25.

dougb415 likes this.
post #83 of 350 Old 01-28-2019, 06:10 PM

Have you tried any other sources, like a Blu Ray player? I used to have sync issues with Directv and went 100% streaming when we moved.
post #84 of 350 Old 01-30-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

M Code is hinting at using CERTIFIED cables, which I'd now recommend even if you don't have a 4K UHD source or display at present. It will eliminate any potential issues, and future proof your installation a bit.

Also: which options for lip sync have you looked at so far? Might be you missed one. If you can reference the OM pages, that'll help us.

post #85 of 350 Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am posting this here for now, and I will also search a thread for Fios TV One, as this issue involves both units.
I have a 780, inside a cabinet, connected to a LG OLEDC7, and a new Fios TV One box connected to the receiver.
I am not able to control with Yamaha remote, the AVR being in a cabinet, but the TV "magic" remote recognizes the AVR and controls the volume through the receiver without problems. Also the old Fios remote volume control would work through the AVR as well.
Now I just upgraded the cable box to the Fios TV One, and its bluetooth remote programs itself (apparently every time you turn the box on) to control the volume from the receiver, but it only works with turning AVR on and off with the TV, not the volume, unless I open the cabinet door and it does work (I guess through IR).
I think the issue is how the signal is sent from the remotes (IR vs Bluetooth or HDMI?), and the fact the Fios TV One remote seems to be reprogramming itself every time using HDMI signals (I tried to manually program it bypassing the AVR control and everything works fine until I turn the system off, next time I turn it on it recognizes the AVR again and programs itself to control it).

I hope this is clear enough.
If so, any suggestions?
post #86 of 350 Old 02-01-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
I am posting this here for now, and I will also search a thread for Fios TV One, as this issue involves both units.

I think the issue is how the signal is sent from the remotes (IR vs Bluetooth or HDMI?), and the fact the Fios TV One remote seems to be reprogramming itself every time using HDMI signals (I tried to manually program it bypassing the AVR control and everything works fine until I turn the system off, next time I turn it on it recognizes the AVR again and programs itself to control it).

I hope this is clear enough.
If so, any suggestions?
I don’t think that there is a way to tell the 780 to ignore the Fios, so I’m guessing that the issue is with the Fios box. There should be some way to tell it not to pair with the 780. Sorry, that’s my best guess.
post #87 of 350 Old 02-01-2019, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
I don’t think that there is a way to tell the 780 to ignore the Fios, so I’m guessing that the issue is with the Fios box. There should be some way to tell it not to pair with the 780. Sorry, that’s my best guess.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure why the Fios remote would pair itself with the 780, but if this is the case I could turn Bluetooth OFF on the receiver. That's something I have not yet tried...

I thought I read on Fios instructions that the remote would attempt to "sync" with other devices in the system based on HDMI signals...
post #88 of 350 Old 02-02-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure why the Fios remote would pair itself with the 780, but if this is the case I could turn Bluetooth OFF on the receiver. That's something I have not yet tried...

I thought I read on Fios instructions that the remote would attempt to "sync" with other devices in the system based on HDMI signals...
That’s their BS way of describing HDMI-CEC. From your initial description, it sounds like flakey HDMI_CEC issues, which are not uncommon between different manufacturers.

I highly doubt that the FIOS remote is “pairing” with the AVR secretly. Usually you have to put one or both Bluetooth devices into a pairing mode to accomplish this, and may require the entering or verification of a 4-digit numeric code. (Some phones will “advertise” themselves simply by opening hte Bluetooth settings screen.)

post #89 of 350 Old 02-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Yamaha 780+ Klipsh speakers: NO satisfaction :(

As I posted before I was setting my new system. Finally this is the result:
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A780 and the following Klipsch:

Front: RP600M
Center: RP500c
Surround: RP500M
Back:RB51
Front Atmos: Pioneer SPT22A-LR
1- I opted for monopoles. My room is 4X4 and have some 2 meters at my sides, enough you my say, for a 402S, but I love spotted surrounds and having an Atmos, and knowing that Dolby recommend monopoles so I pulled the trigger...However...
I am very dissatisfied with my result:
1-The surround, even at +6db are hardly sounding!!
2-The immersion expected is not obtained...
I forgot YPAO, and set ALL my speaker SMALL and at 80Hz..(tested surround LARGE without success)
I tested EQ "Flat, Front, Natural and Through (no process) without success...
The side surrounds are 2 feet over my ears and as I said at 4-5 feet from MLP
For some reason the Yamaha just have Basic, 7.1, and 5.1.2, but I cant see 7.1.2, I sacrificed my Atmos for the Back surround (I can't get both working, or I don't know how set them).
My main concern is the surrounds, I was expecting thrilling results...I was thinking that perhaps the movies on Netflix or Prime are the culprit, but there are hundreds of good 5.1 around which I have tested.
Both, the sides and the back surround are very, very low even at the maximum level.
I have a Bi-pole Fluance just in case, but I doubt it would be better.

What am I missing???

Thanks for your help
Miguel
post #90 of 350 Old 02-02-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Your 780 for what I see wont process above 7 channels. So your choices, are either 7.x, or 5.x.2!

I dont see anything in the 780 manual stating you can do 7.x.2 by adding a 2 channel stereo amp. Someone with more knkwledge of the 780, can correct me if Im wrong.

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
rx-a680 , rx-a780 , rx-a880

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page