The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha RX-A880 / RX-A780 / RX-A680 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #1 of 194 Old 06-03-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The OFFICIAL - Yamaha RX-A880 / RX-A780 / RX-A680 Aventage AVR Owners' Thread

A reference thread for owners and potential buyers for the 2018 Yamaha RX-A (680, 780, 880) series of AVRs.

Vendor Write Ups:

Series Debut Page

AVSforum discussions:

A-80 Revealed Page

"The ninth generation AVENTAGE series delivers the performance and feature set that demanding music and home-theater enthusiasts appreciate," said Robert Goedken, general manager, AV division, Yamaha Corporation of America. "Consumers and custom installers alike will be able to use this tech to deliver top-quality home entertainment experiences in any space."

The RX-A 80 Series lineup starts with the RX-A680, a 7.2-channel receiver that drives immersive 5.2.2-speaker systems consisting of five front and surround speakers, up to two powered subwoofers, and two height speakers, respectively. It also features YPAO sound optimization, and four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, all supporting 4K video up to 60 frames per second with HDCP 2.2 copy protection.

The RX-A780 adds multiple enhancements, including YPAO - R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) and YPAO Volume. The former automatically compensates for the muddying effect that furniture and walls have on audio clarity when speakers are placed nearby, while the latter automatically equalizes audio to deliver balanced low, mid and high frequencies at any volume level. The

RX-A780 also steps up to five HDMI inputs, two HDMI outputs, and Zone 2 audio, which sends audio to a speaker pair in another room from a source independent of the source playing in the main listening room. It also adds an upgraded remote with new easy-to-use on-screen GUI.

The RX-A880 steps up to 100 watts per channel, seven HDMI inputs, two HDMI outputs, and YPAO - R.S.C with Precision EQ and multipoint calibration, both delivering higher levels of room-acoustics compensation.

Product Pages:

ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by moogs74; 06-04-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clean up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 194 Old 06-03-2018, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Just Ordered the 780

I was waiting for a deal on a 770 but one didn't really come around in time, and the 80 series models are dropping now. BH has the 780 in stock as of this morning. I am coming from a Pioneer SC-85. While it's a decent receiver it's way overkill for my needs and I need HDR10 passthrough. Ive owned Marantz, Pioneer and Yamaha and even Sony back in the day, and the one receiver I was most fond of was Yamaha, but this was back in the 2.1 days about 20 years ago. Looking forward to adding this into the mix.
post #3 of 194 Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The RX-A870 on sale at Frys looks good, but so does a new RX-A780. Dual HDMI out, front pre-outs (finally) phono stage and detachable power cord. Gonna make it even more difficult now to new choose a receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 194 Old 06-09-2018, 12:44 PM

Liked: 0
Question Yamaha RX-A780

I just purchased the Yamaha RX-A780 receiver. I've got it all hooked up, and so far it's working great.
The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to figure out how to use Bluetooth headphones to listen to audio from this unit. According the the information provided by Yamaha, this receiver is supposed to allow output to Bluetooth devices such as headphones. See below:

Stream Simply
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and AirPlay Compatible

Built-in Wi-Fi allows for a connection with your wireless router, greatly simplifying system connections for music streaming or enjoying networked audio (PC/NAS). Bluetooth connectivity is also included to stream into your receiver or out from the receiver to another Bluetooth device such as a pair of headphones.

There is no information in the owner's manual showing how to set up the receiver to transmit to Bluetooth headphones.

Is anyone else having this problem, and/or does anyone have a sloution?
post #5 of 194 Old 06-09-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21983 Post(s)
Liked: 11923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert59 View Post
I just purchased the Yamaha RX-A780 receiver. I've got it all hooked up, and so far it's working great.
The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to figure out how to use Bluetooth headphones to listen to audio from this unit. According the the information provided by Yamaha, this receiver is supposed to allow output to Bluetooth devices such as headphones. See below:

Stream Simply
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and AirPlay Compatible

Built-in Wi-Fi allows for a connection with your wireless router, greatly simplifying system connections for music streaming or enjoying networked audio (PC/NAS). Bluetooth connectivity is also included to stream into your receiver or out from the receiver to another Bluetooth device such as a pair of headphones.

There is no information in the owner's manual showing how to set up the receiver to transmit to Bluetooth headphones.

Is anyone else having this problem, and/or does anyone have a sloution?
Although this feature was not released from the factory, it was recently (October 2018) added via a firmware update to all of these Aventage models.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-15-2018 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 194 Old 06-10-2018, 05:24 AM

It does appear that Yamaha has dropped the "Bluetooth Out" feature, but why do they include the feature in their description of the receiver? I don't know if I would have changed my mind about purchasing the receiver if I had known beforehand that the feature was not included, but thinking that the feature WAS included was a factor in my decision to purchase this unit.
It seems that Yamaha advertised the unit one way, but the actual product was different. Imagine if you purchased a vehicle based on the features listed in the advertisement only to learn after the fact that it was incorrect. For example: You purchase a car with an automatic transmission, but when it's delivered to your home, it has a 6 speed manual transmission that you don't know how to drive. It's the classic "bait and switch".
I don't think that Yamaha intentionally misrepresented their product, but I definitely believe that they should take responsibility and offer some sort of compensation.
post #7 of 194 Old 06-15-2018, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert59 View Post
It does appear that Yamaha has dropped the "Bluetooth Out" feature, but why do they include the feature in their description of the receiver? I don't know if I would have changed my mind about purchasing the receiver if I had known beforehand that the feature was not included, but thinking that the feature WAS included was a factor in my decision to purchase this unit.
It seems that Yamaha advertised the unit one way, but the actual product was different. Imagine if you purchased a vehicle based on the features listed in the advertisement only to learn after the fact that it was incorrect. For example: You purchase a car with an automatic transmission, but when it's delivered to your home, it has a 6 speed manual transmission that you don't know how to drive. It's the classic "bait and switch".
I don't think that Yamaha intentionally misrepresented their product, but I definitely believe that they should take responsibility and offer some sort of compensation.
I just ordered the RX-A880 from Crutchfield and I noticed the Details tab of the product page has this information:

Quote:
Bluetooth Transmitter: Through the MusicCast Controller app, the Yamaha AV receiver can also act as a Bluetooth transmitter and stream its non-Bluetooth audio sources (HDMI, Network, USB/iPod, Analog, Optical/Coax Digital, & AM/FM tuner) out to most any Bluetooth headphone or speaker. You can only pair and stream audio to one Bluetooth headphone or speaker at a time. You can even have the same source playing from the main speakers and a Bluetooth speaker/headphone simultaneously (there is a slight audio delay). Volume control of the Bluetooth speaker/headphone will be controlled via the Bluetooth device and not the receiver. *To use this feature, the receiver must be connected to your home network and you will need to use MusicCast Controller app on your Apple iOS or Android device to configure the receiver as a Bluetooth transmitter.
So it appears it might be possible to output to Bluetooth headphones by using the app to set it up.
post #8 of 194 Old 06-18-2018, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I just purchased the RX-A780, and am trying to figure out Zone 2. There's two things I'm interested in listening to on my outdoor speakers (i.e. Zone 2):

1.) Spotify (or other streaming services) on Zone 2.
2.) HDMI audio (from my Oppo) on Zone 2.

The first is critical; I wouldn't have paid extra for outdoor speakers if I had known that I would be restricted to analog sources.

The second I can work around (with some kind of converter), but if an older model (say, the 1070) has the capacity to play Spotify/HDMI on zone 2, I might return to the 780 and down/upgrade to an older model.

Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 194 Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkandle View Post
I just purchased the RX-A780, and am trying to figure out Zone 2. There's two things I'm interested in listening to on my outdoor speakers (i.e. Zone 2):

1.) Spotify (or other streaming services) on Zone 2.
2.) HDMI audio (from my Oppo) on Zone 2.

The first is critical; I wouldn't have paid extra for outdoor speakers if I had known that I would be restricted to analog sources.

The second I can work around (with some kind of converter), but if an older model (say, the 1070) has the capacity to play Spotify/HDMI on zone 2, I might return to the 780 and down/upgrade to an older model.

Thanks for your help!
As noted on p. 55 of the Owner's manual ...

Quote:
Digital and analog audio sources (including radio), Bluetooth, USB, and network sources can be output to Zone2. To listen to the playback of an external device in Zone2, you need to connect the device to the AUDIO jacks (AV 1-2, AUDIO 1-5 or PHONO jacks) of the unit.
Digital in this case is non-HDMI digital only. The only way to get HDMI stereo sources to play to Zone 2 (without using a converter) on the A780 is to use the PARTY mode, otherwise, the A10X0 models are the lowest models that can pass stereo 2.0 over HDMI to Zone 2.
post #10 of 194 Old 06-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have an old RX-A820 I am planning an upgrade. I can get a great deal on the RX-A870, whats really new in the RX-A880 vs the RX-A870 that may justify the full price? Feature wise the RX-A870 and RX-A880 seem very similar.
post #11 of 194 Old 06-23-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroy View Post
Hi All,

I have an old RX-A820 I am planning an upgrade. I can get a great deal on the RX-A870, whats really new in the RX-A880 vs the RX-A870 that may justify the full price? Feature wise the RX-A870 and RX-A880 seem very similar.
The RX-A880 has all seven of its HDMI inputs supporting 4K/HDCP 2.2 while the RX-870 only has three of its HDMI inputs supporting 4K/HDCP 2.2. On the other hand the RX-A880 loses a front panel HDMI input as well as the ability to transmit audio to Bluetooth speakers or headphones. The RX-A880 has two Wi-Fi antennas with just one on the RX-A870. The RX-A880 has an updated remote with eight Scene buttons (versus four on the RX-A870 remote) and four assignable color keys.
post #12 of 194 Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhoodCT View Post
The RX-A880 has all seven of its HDMI inputs supporting 4K/HDCP 2.2 while the RX-870 only has three of its HDMI inputs supporting 4K/HDCP 2.2. On the other hand the RX-A880 loses a front panel HDMI input as well as the ability to transmit audio to Bluetooth speakers or headphones. The RX-A880 has two Wi-Fi antennas with just one on the RX-A870. The RX-A880 has an updated remote with eight Scene buttons (versus four on the RX-A870 remote) and four assignable color keys.

Thank you! Those changes are not critical for me. It would have been nice to have HDCP 2.2 on all inputs. I use a Logitech remote and hardwired Ethernet. I think I will move forward with the RX-870 then.
post #13 of 194 Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello. I am new to the home theater setup. Before this I just used TV speakers and then a cheap soundbar.

I purchased the Yamaha RX-V685BL and at the moment I have the Klipsch RP-440C for my center channel and two Klipsch RP-260F's for my Front Left & Front Right. I ran the setup & YPAO. A lot of my content is just from watching Netflix, Hulu or downloaded shows via Plex. A lot of these shows only have stereo sound.

I noticed sound was only coming out of FL & FR, until I switched the surround decoder to Neural X. At that point it sounded better and utilized the center channel. Is that the right one i should have it on? Any other things I should be doing to optimize this?

I'm waiting for reviews on the wireless musiccast, hopefully they are nice. I'd like to add them in along with a sub to complete the 5.1 setup.

Thanks.
post #14 of 194 Old 08-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Looking to upgrade my older 670. Would like three zones though. I use the two it has from time to time and it is a nice feature. I'd like to have three be for the back yard. Only other feature would be native phonograph without additional products needed. I think our speakers need upgrades though since it is a whacky set up. When we moved in it had 5 speakers pre set in the ceiling. We brought our ML 16 book shelfs and a sub woofer. For movies it works good enough but was looking to just swap out ceiling to something better than what is there and hopefully a nice avr that is updated to what we have now. The 880 looks promising.

Someone also recommended the new 2080, 3080 series I think it is but those are a lot more money. I am just looking for some smaller upgrades and power with possibility of 3 zones. Nice series though - I like it.
post #15 of 194 Old 08-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf01 View Post
Looking to upgrade my older 670. Would like three zones though. I use the two it has from time to time and it is a nice feature. I'd like to have three be for the back yard. Only other feature would be native phonograph without additional products needed. I think our speakers need upgrades though since it is a whacky set up. When we moved in it had 5 speakers pre set in the ceiling. We brought our ML 16 book shelfs and a sub woofer. For movies it works good enough but was looking to just swap out ceiling to something better than what is there and hopefully a nice avr that is updated to what we have now. The 880 looks promising.

Someone also recommended the new 2080, 3080 series I think it is but those are a lot more money. I am just looking for some smaller upgrades and power with possibility of 3 zones. Nice series though - I like it.
You will have to step up to at least the A2080 for more than 2 zones (4 actually on the A2080 and A3080).
post #16 of 194 Old 08-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You will have to step up to at least the A2080 for more than 2 zones (4 actually on the A2080 and A3080).
Thank you for that information. I wasn't aware and that is actually one of the things we wanted was the additional zone. The A2080 is, well, large. Looks nice. Time to go reading.

Thank you again.
post #17 of 194 Old 09-13-2018, 12:57 PM

I am going to replace a 13 year old Pioneer receiver with an RX-A880, so I was looking at the manual online before buying. I see the HDMI inputs are number 1 - 7 with under 1 (1 Movie), under 2 (5 STB) and under 3 (6 Game). There is nothing I could see which explains what the numbers in the () mean. Which started me wondering is there a particular input for certain devices, or can any device be plugged into any input?

Devices will be DirecTV STB, Roku, Blu-ray, separate DVD and a game console.
post #18 of 194 Old 09-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
I am going to replace a 13 year old Pioneer receiver with an RX-A880, so I was looking at the manual online before buying. I see the HDMI inputs are number 1 - 7 with under 1 (1 Movie), under 2 (5 STB) and under 3 (6 Game). There is nothing I could see which explains what the numbers in the () mean. Which started me wondering is there a particular input for certain devices, or can any device be plugged into any input?

Devices will be DirecTV STB, Roku, Blu-ray, separate DVD and a game console.
I believe those refer to the Scene numbers, so if you connect, say, a DVD or Blu-ray player to HDMI 1 (1 Movie), a cable or satellite box to HDMI 2 (5 STB), and a game console to HDMI 3 (6 Game), you will be able to use the default Scene 1, 5, and 6 buttons without editing the Scenes. If you're willing to edit the Scenes, then you can connect any device to any HDMI input. It's just a little bit more work.
lansbury likes this.
post #19 of 194 Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM

Thank you robinhoodCT most helpful.
post #20 of 194 Old 09-17-2018, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
robinhoodCT is correct. I had the same question, asked Yamaha and got the same answer. I have't set my A780 up yet but will change the input names to what I want (HDMI 1 Cable, HDMI 2 ATV4k, and HDMI 3 Blu-ray) and not bother with the SCENES. PQ will be adjusted in the tv for each source input.
post #21 of 194 Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

I have bought the new Yamaha RX-A880 receiver with the intention to expand my old wired 5.1 setup with two new Musiccast 20 wireless speakers as surround right/left. My old wired surround speakers will be placed as wired back speakers, in my new 7.1 setup. I manage to connect the wireless Musiccast 20 speakers (via the Musiccast app) as new surround speakers, but then my wired back speakers get "unavailable" in the configuration menu. See attached image. I have connected them in the correct output, as described in the user manual.

When I disconnect the Musiccast speakers again (with the app) the wired back speakers shows up again. But when I re-add the Musiccast speakers (with the app) as surround speakers, my wired back speakers again gets “unavailable” in the configuration menu. When I bought the receiver, the salesperson told me that this setup should be possible.

I have installed new firmware for both the receiver and Musiccast speakers, re-runned the YPAO setup, and of course tried to unplug and restart the receiver. Without any luck.

It can’t be right that the “capacity” of the receiver gets reduced from a 9.1 to a maximum of 5.1 if you connect wireless Musiccast speakers to the system?!?

If anyone could give me any advice regarding this problem, it had been much appreciated!!

Regards,
Aage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skjermbilde-rxproblem.PNG
Views:	130
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2457558  
post #22 of 194 Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonkdonk View Post
Hi,

I have bought the new Yamaha RX-A880 receiver with the intention to expand my old wired 5.1 setup with two new Musiccast 20 wireless speakers as surround right/left. My old wired surround speakers will be placed as wired back speakers, in my new 7.1 setup. I manage to connect the wireless Musiccast 20 speakers (via the Musiccast app) as new surround speakers, but then my wired back speakers get "unavailable" in the configuration menu. See attached image. I have connected them in the correct output, as described in the user manual.

When I disconnect the Musiccast speakers again (with the app) the wired back speakers shows up again. But when I re-add the Musiccast speakers (with the app) as surround speakers, my wired back speakers again gets “unavailable” in the configuration menu. When I bought the receiver, the salesperson told me that this setup should be possible.

I have installed new firmware for both the receiver and Musiccast speakers, re-runned the YPAO setup, and of course tried to unplug and restart the receiver. Without any luck.

It can’t be right that the “capacity” of the receiver gets reduced from a 9.1 to a maximum of 5.1 if you connect wireless Musiccast speakers to the system?!?

If anyone could give me any advice regarding this problem, it had been much appreciated!!

Regards,
Aage
To clarify, the A880 is only a 7CH model meaning although you connect 9 speakers, it can only operate 7 at a time.

Also, as you have already learned through the diagram you posted ... MusicCast wireless surrounds can only be used in a 5.1 setup. If you want a 7.1 setup, all speakers must be wired. Another option would be to purchase a 3rd party wireless surround kit.

From the Yamaha web page:

Quote:
Wire Less
Wireless Surround Speakers

Combine this AV receiver with the upcoming MusicCast 50 or MusicCast 20 wireless speakers and enjoy the convenience of creating a home theater with wireless surround speakers in 5.1-ch. Get stunningly realistic sound with a clean, clutter-free setup and turn your current living room into an entertainment environment where you can fully enjoy movies and music.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 09-20-2018 at 12:42 PM.
post #23 of 194 Old 09-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
To clarify, the A880 is only a 7CH model meaning although you connect 9 speakers, it can only operate 7 at a time.

Also, as you have already learned through the diagram you posted ... MusicCast wireless surrounds can only be used in a 5.1 setup. If you want a 7.1 setup, all speakers must be wired. Another option would be to purchase a 3rd party wireless surround kit.
Thanks for your reply!

You are of course correct with your 7 vs 9 channel comment.
And "Ouch!"... I was afraid of this answer

Strange that they don’t get this important information more clearly through to the user in the advertisements or the user manual. Then I was misinformed before my purchase…. and It seems like I have to return the Musiccast speakers and get two new normal side speakers and wire them up old fashioned instead.
post #24 of 194 Old 09-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

You are of course correct with your 7 vs 9 channel comment.
And "Ouch!"... I was afraid of this answer

Strange that they don’t get this important information more clearly through to the user in the advertisements or the user manual. Then I was misinformed before my purchase…. and It seems like I have to return the Musiccast speakers and get two new normal side speakers and wire them up old fashioned instead.
Correct. Not mentioned in the Owner's manual, although your dealer should have been better educated.

As you already own the MusicCast speakers, consider repurposing them to other rooms.
post #25 of 194 Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Correct. Not mentioned in the Owner's manual, although your dealer should have been better educated.

As you already own the MusicCast speakers, consider repurposing them to other rooms.
Already have a pair of Yamaha NX-N500 in my livingroom, but you never can have toooo many speakers right?

Thanks again for replying!
post #26 of 194 Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 AM

An FYI for anyone viewing this thread ......

These lower "A" models no longer support a single Surround Back speaker (ie. 6.1), rather if want to expand beyond 5.1, you must add 2 speakers.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-15-2018 at 08:01 AM.
post #27 of 194 Old 09-21-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
These lower "A" models no longer support a single Surround Back speaker, rather if want to expand beyond 5.1, you must add 2 speakers.
As described in the thread, I added two surround back speakers, but that did not help.
Seems like the introduction of Musiccast wireless speakers restricts it to a 5.1 only system.
Unfortunately you must use wires if you want 7.1 or 9.1.
post #28 of 194 Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
As described in the thread, I added two surround back speakers, but that did not help.
Seems like the introduction of Musiccast wireless speakers restricts it to a 5.1 only system.
Unfortunately you must use wires if you want 7.1 or 9.1.
Correct. My previous post was just an FYI for everyone viewing this thread. Has nothing to do with you.
post #29 of 194 Old 10-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anyone help here, bought one of these but I cannot get it to select Atmos decoder. Set up as 5.1.2 . Using a Sony UBPx800 Bluray player and checked the correct Audio output settings according to the manual
. Latest firmware on both

Tried PCM and bit-stream
Hi speed cable
HDMI input 1 or 2

No Cinema 3d dsp
Straight decode selected.
anything I missed ?
tried a few different Movie discs
post #30 of 194 Old 10-24-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIRO View Post
Anyone help here, bought one of these but I cannot get it to select Atmos decoder. Set up as 5.1.2 . Using a Sony UBPx800 Bluray player and checked the correct Audio output settings according to the manual
. Latest firmware on both

Tried PCM and bit-stream
Hi speed cable
HDMI input 1 or 2

No Cinema 3d dsp
Straight decode selected.
anything I missed ?
tried a few different Movie discs
One of these? Which model? The source must be set to "bitstream" and <BD Audio MIX Setting> should be set to "OFF."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
rx-a680 , rx-a780 , rx-a880

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page