Emotiva XMC-1 - Moving to Plan B - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DOC1963
  • 1 Post By Socketman

post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Emotiva XMC-1 - Moving to Plan B

Months ago I had placed an order for the XMC-1 with upgraded 4K board to replace (as an upgrade) my UMC-1.
I believe enough has been said regarding delivery delays.
Rather than gripe about it and get banned from the Emo forums, I've decided to move on.

I've got a 5.1 system used for movies and music.
Def Tech 9060s.XPA-5 for amp.Oppo 103 and Apple TV.

Anthem AVM 60 looks like a contender to the XMC-1. Possibly the Marantz 8802A?
Looking for any input from owners of these models or suggestins from anyone who has decided to move on from the XMC-1.

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA59 View Post
Months ago I had placed an order for the XMC-1 with upgraded 4K board to replace (as an upgrade) my UMC-1.
Rather than gripe about it and get banned from the Emo forums, I've decided to move on.

Looking for any input from owners of these models or suggestins from anyone who has decided to move on from the XMC-1.

Thank You!

What features in a processor are you looking for?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:

Thank You!
I haven’t been keeping up w/ Emotiva, how many push backs have there been?

What specs do you need in your new pre/Pro?

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks DB and RB

Some additional background....
Bottom line---I've had my Emo UMC-1 since 2010 and wanted to upgrade.

I play Blu-Ray movies and music;SACDs (DSD) , Music DVDs and streaming (music and movies) via apple tv.

I don't swap gear often. XMC-1 was a logical choice because of the modular design it's promise of being able to add the new HDMI board (waiting since November)along with Atmos /DTS-X ( ETA= Who Knows)in the future. The 40% upgrade card also influenced my decision but I'm probably going to sell it.

So moving forward, I'd like a quality processor that supports new video standard for 4K, Atmos etc. I want the ability to use them at some point..The built in Streaming stuff is fine but not mandatory.
In summary--Looking for a solid performer that I'll keep for a while..

Open to any suggestions. Open to other choices outside of Anthem or Marantz.

Thanks.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked: 4377
Quote:
Thanks DB and RB

Some additional background....
Bottom line---I've had my Emo UMC-1 since 2010 and wanted to upgrade.

I play Blu-Ray movies and music;SACDs (DSD) , Music DVDs and streaming (music and movies) via apple tv.

I don't swap gear often. XMC-1 was a logical choice because of the modular design it's promise of being able to add the new HDMI board (waiting since November)along with Atmos /DTS-X ( ETA= Who Knows)in the future. The 40% upgrade card also influenced my decision but I'm probably going to sell it.

So moving forward, I'd like a quality processor that supports new video standard for 4K, Atmos etc. I want the ability to use them at some point..The built in Streaming stuff is fine but not mandatory.
In summary--Looking for a solid performer that I'll keep for a while..

Open to any suggestions. Open to other choices outside of Anthem or Marantz.

Thanks.
If you want to stay with Dirac Live as a Room EQ system, I would look at the NAD T 777 V3 and use it as a pre amp. Otherwise, the AVM60 and Marantz AV7704 would be your best choices in that price range.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Thank You!
If your listening habits involve a fair amount of music, and if you also use an AVR's internal automated room correction software, given a choice between the Anthem AVM 60 and the Marantz AV8802a, I would pick the AVM 60.

The AV8802a is an excellent piece of hardware, but many (myself included) feel that Audyssey kills music. Using the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, those ill-effects can be mitigated by lowering the frequency range of which EQ correction is applied, but the 8802a is not compatible with the app (only 2016 and up D&M offerings are).

Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is in an entirely different league (and in my opinion, "maybe" second only to Dirac) and gives much better results for music than does Audyssey. Since ARC only applies EQ (by default) up to 5kHz (instead of full range), it doesn't have the same ill-effects upon music. If 5kHz still seems to be too much for your liking, the range can be lowered in the ARC software and the filters reapplied. In addition, ARC also generates and applies its filters using a 96kHz sampling frequency, not 48k as does Audyssey and Dirac Live (as found in the XMC-1) and does not down-sample "hi-rez" music files in order to apply room correction.

One caveat regarding ARC is that the software runs on a PC (with no support for MacOS) and the filters are downloaded to the AVP or AVR. ARC does not run internally (like Audyssey).

There are other, less discussed, features of the AVM 60 that I rather like as well. One of those is the ability to program 30 different "virtual" inputs each with their own video input (if any) and speaker profile (you can set up and store up to 4 different "speaker profiles").

One downfall to having up to 30 inputs to choose from is that there are no "direct" input selections on the OEM remote. To use the OEM remote, you're delegated to either using an OSD or "scrolling" using the AVR's display to make a selection. To some, that's a major inconvenience, but, to me, it's not a huge price to pay for having such a flexible feature. However, if you have a Harmony remote, those direct input selections are available in the Hamony database, are downloaded to the Harmony remote, and are selectable from there.

I don't currently own the AVM 60, but I have had plenty of experience setting up (and playing with) a friends. I own a XMC-1 and, like you, have grown very tired of the wait (now 18 months and counting) for an HDMI board that allows me to use my 4K UHD gear without having to implement workarounds and perform inconvenient cable swaps. So, back in December, I purchased a Marantz AV7703 at clearance pricing that was too good to pass up. Some day, my XMC-1 may see life outside of my storage room, or I may decide to sell it, I've yet to decide.

For HT purposes (movie soundtracks), I can hear NO discernible difference between the XMC-1 and the AV7703. For music, yes, the XMC-1 is slightly more detailed and "lively" than the AV7703 (even with Audyssey not correcting much above the relative Schroeder frequency of my room). So, in order to appreciate a Marantz, you also have to be a fan of the more "laid-back" sound of their HDAM output topology. Some folks just simply aren't. I'm okay with it.

One thing I DON'T like about the D&M offerings is the overly complex video section. All I need is a simple HDMI switch that performs well. No scaling, no I/P conversion, no video "modes" and, certainly, no "legacy" inputs. To get true signal pass-through is cumbersome and you lose the ability to overlay your volume display on screen. And, sorry, but the "porthole" display for an older person, at even a short distance, just doesn't cut it.

If I had to do it again, and (considering the current Anthem promotion) maybe I will, I would buy the AVM 60 and not look back.

The NAD receiver, mentioned earlier in this thread, is also a good option as NADs have always performed well for music and, now, also employs Dirac Live. However, be aware that NAD is also slow to supply those "future-proof" options. Maybe not as slow as Emotiva, but not as fast as most might need them to be. Also, if you plan upon using an AVR as a pre-pro only, check the preamp output voltage carefully. You'll need clean (unclipped) output voltage to drive your amps effectively. Check your amp's specs to see what input voltage it requires to drive it to its full rated output and make sure the AVR can deliver that voltage "cleanly".

Hope this helps...
OsoSolitario likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2018, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yes.This absolutely helps.
Thank you.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-14-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Anthem has a deal right now , you register online they email you a code and you can trade in an old processor and get 20% off. I was real close to buying one but decided to wait till the next Gen XMC comes out. The deal i talked to said i really didnt need to send him a reciever he would just take a pic of a used one and send it to Anthem,others have had the same experience. I just like Dirac too much and am too used to it to make the change to Anthem ARC. The only other processor that interests me is 8g and thats too much for this kid.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
Anthem has a deal right now , you register online they email you a code and you can trade in an old processor and get 20% off. I was real close to buying one but decided to wait till the next Gen XMC comes out. The deal i talked to said i really didnt need to send him a reciever he would just take a pic of a used one and send it to Anthem,others have had the same experience. I just like Dirac too much and am too used to it to make the change to Anthem ARC. The only other processor that interests me is 8g and thats too much for this kid.
Thank you.
I didn't realize they offered a code. I knew about the Crutchfield had a trade in but good to have various options.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you.
I didn't realize they offered a code. I knew about the Crutchfield had a trade in but good to have various options.
Crutchfield doesn't need the code from Anthem, but you do have to call them to take advantage of the deal. They will give you the details of what "they" require you to do with your trade-in. It's fairly straight forward and simple...
post #11 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Lonnie posted that hte DIY kits will ship monday or tuesday all systems go.
DOC1963 likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
Lonnie posted that hte DIY kits will ship monday or tuesday all systems go.
This is great news for those who have waited so long. It comes 7 months too late for me as I'll likely keep my AV7703 in my system for awhile just to check out "immersive" surround sound (Atmos/DTS-X) and see where it goes from there.

Here is a direct link to Lonnie's post on the Emotiva Lounge for those who may be interested...

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/947921

Maybe @PA59 should give it another week (or so) before making a decision as to whether to stick with the XMC-1 "Gen 3" or go with something different.

Now that this hurdle has been cleared, maybe some additional information is forthcoming....

Last edited by DOC1963; 06-16-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page