Arcam, beta testing of Dirac Live® 2.0 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By flax

post #1 of 20 Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Arcam, beta testing of Dirac Live® 2.0

Forumers who own a Dirac enabled Arcam can test Dirac Live 2.0, before its official release, as beta testers.
https://www.dirac.com/news/2017/12/7...rm-at-ces-2018

If interested please send a request for testing beta Dirac Live 2.0 here:

http://helpdesk.dirac.se/index.php?pg=request

Initially please select "Technical support" in the dropdown menu, not "Beta tester".

Flavio
chrisdack likes this.

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Last edited by flax; 07-13-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-20-2018, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
Forumers who own a Dirac enabled Arcam can test Dirac Live 2.0, before its official release, as beta testers.
https://www.dirac.com/news/2017/12/7...rm-at-ces-2018

If interested please send a request for testing beta Dirac Live 2.0 here:

http://helpdesk.dirac.se/index.php?pg=request

Initially please select "Technical support" in the dropdown menu, not "Beta tester".

Flavio
Thanks, Flavio. Registered :-)

System 1: Arcam AVR850 | KEF REFERENCE 1 | KEF R100 | SVS SB-2000

System 2: Marantz SR7009 | ATI 6007 Signature | MINIDSP DDRC88A | KEF R900 | KEF R600C | KEF Ci200RR-THX | KEF R800DS
post #3 of 20 Old 07-21-2018, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 212
What about people who have the Emotiva XMC-1 is there any testing available for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-21-2018, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 6403 Post(s)
Liked: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
What about people who have the Emotiva XMC-1 is there any testing available for us?
Emotiva customers have to wait, as always

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #5 of 20 Old 07-21-2018, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

God knows we have had plenty of practice waiting, but even so it would be nice to know if it will even be an option we can look forward to at some point down the line.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

@ Socketman

your questions are for Emotiva to answer, my understanding anyhow is that the Emotiva platform can support it.

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #7 of 20 Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Subbed. Thanks Flavio
post #8 of 20 Old 07-24-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post
God knows we have had plenty of practice waiting, but even so it would be nice to know if it will even be an option we can look forward to at some point down the line.

Thanks for the reply, this makes sense.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a professional come out to do a calibration and set up my Dirac Live profile. I like the idea of the 2.0 benefits (cleaner/easier UI, phase alignment, etc...) but would I lose the data/benefits of my existing calibration and have to start over?

Thanks!
post #10 of 20 Old 08-04-2018, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Here some additional info for beta testers...
some expect measurements where a sweep is sent to both channels of a pair.
That's not necessary, the measurements can work the same. In the analysis part the speakers are considered pairwise where appropriate in order to make sure that phase coherency is not lost on absolute phase improvement. That is, on a per speaker basis the phase compensation may end up being slightly less aggressive in favor of phase coherency of the pair.

Flavio

Last edited by flax; 08-04-2018 at 06:39 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
That's not necessary, the measurements can work the same. In the analysis part the speakers are considered pairwise where appropriate in order to make sure that phase coherency is not lost on absolute phase improvement. That is, on a per speaker basis the phase compensation may end up being slightly less aggressive in favor of phase coherency of the pair.

Flavio
Does the phase analysis also consider the coherency between sub and satellites?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #12 of 20 Old 08-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Flavio

Thanks. Will try this weekend hopefully.

My results may not be directly comparable dirac 2 Vs Dirac 1.4whatver as tonight I finally got around to rewiring my surrounds from dipole to bipole. Might do a quick 1.41 single point measurement to set a baseline

Code:
Background: 
Even before then not wired correctly as dipole I would say. (They were not handed, so Left driver of right speaker (+) would push when the right driver of the left is (-) pulling. And from what I can see the right tweeter NN only of each speaker was (-) so fighting against the right midrange of the same speaker that is (+). 

Markus I think you already spotted combing in my earlier rew measurements pre dirac2.0.   Turns out this is why and is why I'm holding back on upgrading to r-series.   

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2611761-need-help-rewiring-dipole-bipole-kef-q2ds.html#post56601870
post #13 of 20 Old 08-10-2018, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Build 0.9.3 is now ready, if you are a beta tester and haven't received it yet please kindly let us now.

Thanks, Flavio

post #14 of 20 Old 08-10-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Build 0.9.3 is now ready, if you are a beta tester and haven't received it yet please kindly let us now.

Thanks, Flavio
Flavio, not sure why you're announcing this publicly on a forum. Do you want people to discuss DL betas publicly or would you like this to be an announce only thread?

Markus

post #15 of 20 Old 08-10-2018, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

@ Markus

matter of fact that post might not be necessary, I just wanted to make sure that nobody was mistakenly left behind

post #16 of 20 Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 AM

@flax So no talk until 2.0 is released?

Markus

post #17 of 20 Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
@flax So no talk until 2.0 is released?

Sorry, I missed the key point of your question...
we are receiving valuable reports (and suggestions to be added to the wish list) by beta testers so I'd say that 2.0 is not ready for prime time yet so it should'nt be discussed in public, at least at the moment.

Thanks, Flavio

post #18 of 20 Old 08-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the key point of your question...
we are receiving valuable reports (and suggestions to be added to the wish list) by beta testers so I'd say that 2.0 is not ready for prime time yet so it should'nt be discussed in public, at least at the moment.

Thanks, Flavio
I don't see the harm in announced beta versions or broadcasts of assumptions on this thread or your own website. I get 50+ emails a day and plough through weekly those I need to delete or unsubscribe from.
I found out there was a newer version on this forum and then that prompted me to search of my email for the link. So thank you.
But some rules might be helpful. The beta didn't have a NDA but I've been assuming as much out of respect and normal rules. E.g. no screenshots or comments on another forum except what's already in the public domain.

Chris

P.s. I think it depends on whether the purpose of the beta is to create some buzz, or just to spread the net in different user speaker and room setup

Last edited by chrisdack; 08-10-2018 at 05:30 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-23-2018, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Tried my first calibration using 2.0.
I got stuck at the speaker volume setting screen.

When I tried setting the volume for the speaker the green circle within the square underneath the speaker started at 100% and dropped down to 0, doing one full revolution in the process, so not sure how to set this correctly?
post #20 of 20 Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thought I'd give an update.

The vertical bar for each speaker is the volume level for the speaker so was able to bring the volume down by reducing the vertical bat from 0.0 db to -10 db.

Ran through the process with the new beta release from 5th October.
Managed to get through it ok, now 17 measuring points rather than the 9 in version 1.

Didn't see a place to save my data after the process but Dirac has informed me there is a 'hamburger', top left of screen that's allows you to do this.
Didn't play around with the filter, just accepted what Dirac gave me, as first time through the process.

After I exported the filter to my Arcam I was confused as it showed me that my one slot on the Arcam was empty?
Also there's no clean way to exit the process currently.

Closed it down with X button, top right.
When I later checked my Arcam it had loaded the new filter.

Sound was definitely better than version 1, more diffuse but immersive, than I remember from my old v1 filter.

Fed the above comments back to Dirac and suggested they create a video tutorial on YouTube to get the best from the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page