Having a hard time choosing a receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-2018, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Having a hard time choosing a receiver

I want/need a receiver with built in sonos connect ability (understand I still need the sonos connect) and that has built in chromecast.

I am down to the Onkyo rz920, Onkyo rz830, and Integra DRX 4.2

Online, the RZ920 is the cheapest probably because it is the oldest, but it has the most power, and from what I can tell the same features as the rest.

Is there a reason not to get the 920 over the other two? If so, is there a reason to get the DRX 4.2 over the rz830?

These are all so similar which makes it confusing.

Edit ---- I am going to throw the pioneer elite 701 into the mix as well since it has sonos connect as well and is in the same price range.

Last edited by ylnad123; 08-04-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Did you see this?
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-pioneer-elite
I just Googled "receivers with sonos" and some stuff popped up from $499. I'd never spend $1000+ on a receiver unless I needed something real specific, I'd rather be into separates at that point.
Note: I didn't read the whole article, not sure if it is retro to models you might stumble on cheap on Craigslist or eBay.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-05-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylnad123 View Post
I want/need a receiver with built in sonos connect ability (understand I still need the sonos connect) and that has built in chromecast.

I am down to the Onkyo rz920, Onkyo rz830, and Integra DRX 4.2

Online, the RZ920 is the cheapest probably because it is the oldest, but it has the most power, and from what I can tell the same features as the rest.

Is there a reason not to get the 920 over the other two? If so, is there a reason to get the DRX 4.2 over the rz830?

These are all so similar which makes it confusing.

Edit ---- I am going to throw the pioneer elite 701 into the mix as well since it has sonos connect as well and is in the same price range.
I an not aware of Sonos licensing their tech to any receiver company. the connect will support stereo only.( did you mean to say the 701 has chromecast support built in?).

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-05-2018, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From what I understand the new sonos ability on the Onkyo, integras, and pioneers lets the sonos connect change inputs by itself. Before if you had a sonos connect with a receiver you would still need to change the input manually to play anything from sonos.

I use sonos for announcements on our home automation system, like when a door opens, doorbell rings, kids arrive, etc..So it would be nice to have the ability for the speakers that are hooked into the receiver to announce as well.

These are the models supported. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...certification/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page