New Receiver Advice Anthem vs NAD vs Yamaha . . . - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NMG
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 19 Old 08-06-2018, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
NMG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
New Receiver Advice Anthem vs NAD vs Yamaha . . .

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to pickup a new receiver over the next month or two and I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go. Right now I have a 5.1 setup which uses an old Rotel RSX-1056 (5 X 75) for the centre and surrounds and a Rotel RB-1080 (2 X 200) for the mains. I'm running first version B&W 703s for the mains, along with the matching HTM7 for the centre, DS6 S3s for the surrounds, and a Paradigm Sub-12 for subwoofer duty. The centre and surrounds aren't a difficult load so I don't need huge amounts of power for those, but I do listen to music quite a bit and the 703s really benefit from the stronger amplification that the 1080 provides.

The reason I'm looking at a new receiver is because I'd like to eventually move to an Atmos setup and the fact that the RSX-1056 doesn't have HDMI inputs. It still works fine for my current setup so the need to replace s not immediate, but it's clearly a barrier given it's age and incompatibility with current standards, etc.

I've been considering the Anthem MRX-720, the NAD T758 V3 and the Yamaha RX-A2080. At the outset, I'd plan to use my Rotel RB-1080 for the front channels with whichever receiver I choose. If I go with the Anthem or NAD, I'd probably think about replacing it with a 2 channel offering of the same brand, probably something like an PVA2 or C275BEE, if there were advantages to be had.

I'm up in Canada and based on some initial looking, the Anthem and Yamaha would be roughly the same price, whereas the NAD would be about $500 less than either of them.

My use would probably be about 50/50 HT and music, and my primary concern would be sound quality. The receiver would be dedicated for listening in one room only, and I don't need a whole bunch of "add on" features like streaming, DSP modes, etc. I have a fairly small HT room, and my current setup is adequate for the volumes I listen at.

Based on what I've read online, it would seem like Yamaha would probably win in the reliability department, with the Anthem and NAD beating it out on sound quality. With room correction it seems like Anthem and NAD would also be a cut above the Yamaha. I'm leaning towards either the Anthem or NAD, but I've kept the Yamaha in the mix strictly because I've used Yamaha gear in the past and I like their products.

I suspect the Anthem would sound the most similar to my current setup, whereas I think the NAD would bring some additional warmth that could benefit my 703's for music. With the RB-1080 they sound fantastic, but some recordings can err a bit on the bright and sterile side of things.

Any thoughts or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated!!

p.s. Another thought I've had was to simply pickup a 5 or 7 channel power amp, use it to power all channels in my current setup with the RSX-1056, and hold off on upgrading that until I absolutely have to. Part of me likes the idea of biting the bullet on amplification now, knowing that I can check off that "foundation" piece and not have to really worry about it the next time an upgrade comes. I don't tend to change stuff out that often, so a good multichannel amp would probably serve me a LONG time, LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-06-2018, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, your speaker setup is My planing in future. Can you add some photos.

And why are you thinking Marantz?

Tapatalk Pro kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
post #3 of 19 Old 08-06-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG View Post
Based on what I've read online, it would seem like Yamaha would probably win in the reliability department, with the Anthem and NAD beating it out on sound quality. With room correction it seems like Anthem and NAD would also be a cut above the Yamaha. I'm leaning towards either the Anthem or NAD, but I've kept the Yamaha in the mix strictly because I've used Yamaha gear in the past and I like their products.

Yes, Yamaha gets a lot of respect here on the forum, especially as you've pointed out for reliability. And yes, I agree - the EQ systems on the NAD and Anthem are arguably better.

Quote:
p.s. Another thought I've had was to simply pickup a 5 or 7 channel power amp, use it to power all channels in my current setup with the RSX-1056, and hold off on upgrading that until I absolutely have to. Part of me likes the idea of biting the bullet on amplification now, knowing that I can check off that "foundation" piece and not have to really worry about it the next time an upgrade comes. I don't tend to change stuff out that often, so a good multichannel amp would probably serve me a LONG time, LOL

Absolutely a valid philosophy. A good amp will last you, well beyond a receiver considering how fast things seem to change! Good speakers and good amps should last you a long, long time.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
NMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkal View Post
Hello, your speaker setup is My planing in future. Can you add some photos.

And why are you thinking Marantz?

Tapatalk Pro kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
Hi onkal, here is a picture of my fronts and center channel. Sorry about the quality, it's the best I had, LOL

As for Marantz, there's no particular reason I haven't included them. I haven't had much exposure the the brand though, so I was focused on stuff I have heard or had used in the past. I'd also consider Rotel amps again as I like the 1080 I have now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0879.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	944.9 KB
ID:	2438496  
onkal likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
NMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Yes, Yamaha gets a lot of respect here on the forum, especially as you've pointed out for reliability. And yes, I agree - the EQ systems on the NAD and Anthem are arguably better.

Absolutely a valid philosophy. A good amp will last you, well beyond a receiver considering how fast things seem to change! Good speakers and good amps should last you a long, long time.
Yeah, I'm completely indecisive at this point in time with respect to what to do, LOL.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi onkal, here is a picture of my fronts and center channel. Sorry about the quality, it's the best I had, LOL

As for Marantz, there's no particular reason I haven't included them. I haven't had much exposure the the brand though, so I was focused on stuff I have heard or had used in the past. I'd also consider Rotel amps again as I like the 1080 I have now.
Thanks for photo. I was even thrilled to see the system.

My system; Fronts Focal sib xl, Center B&W Htm7, surrounds Focal sib.

Your use 50/50 HT and music than I think marantz processors makes you happier.
Generaly they says Rotel is compatibility Marantz and B&W.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 6156 Post(s)
Liked: 4203
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to pickup a new receiver over the next month or two and I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go. Right now I have a 5.1 setup which uses an old Rotel RSX-1056 (5 X 75) for the centre and surrounds and a Rotel RB-1080 (2 X 200) for the mains. I'm running first version B&W 703s for the mains, along with the matching HTM7 for the centre, DS6 S3s for the surrounds, and a Paradigm Sub-12 for subwoofer duty. The centre and surrounds aren't a difficult load so I don't need huge amounts of power for those, but I do listen to music quite a bit and the 703s really benefit from the stronger amplification that the 1080 provides.

The reason I'm looking at a new receiver is because I'd like to eventually move to an Atmos setup and the fact that the RSX-1056 doesn't have HDMI inputs. It still works fine for my current setup so the need to replace s not immediate, but it's clearly a barrier given it's age and incompatibility with current standards, etc.

I've been considering the Anthem MRX-720, the NAD T758 V3 and the Yamaha RX-A2080. At the outset, I'd plan to use my Rotel RB-1080 for the front channels with whichever receiver I choose. If I go with the Anthem or NAD, I'd probably think about replacing it with a 2 channel offering of the same brand, probably something like an PVA2 or C275BEE, if there were advantages to be had.

I'm up in Canada and based on some initial looking, the Anthem and Yamaha would be roughly the same price, whereas the NAD would be about $500 less than either of them.

My use would probably be about 50/50 HT and music, and my primary concern would be sound quality. The receiver would be dedicated for listening in one room only, and I don't need a whole bunch of "add on" features like streaming, DSP modes, etc. I have a fairly small HT room, and my current setup is adequate for the volumes I listen at.

I suspect the Anthem would sound the most similar to my current setup, whereas I think the NAD would bring some additional warmth that could benefit my 703's for music. With the RB-1080 they sound fantastic, but some recordings can err a bit on the bright and sterile side of things.

Any thoughts or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated!!

I went Anthem 720. And the reason I did so was because I also listen to a lot of music. For a good home theater receiver for someone that also wants to listen to music, I think the Anthem is the way to go.

The main reasons is its virtual inputs. You can create a profile for theater that say enables all your speakers and ARC room correction. You can create a second profile called music that say only enables your front left/right and subwoofer. You can have your crossover for music say at 40hz instead of 80hz on the movie profile. You can also say enable your surrounds if you wanted at say -9db for a slight bit of rear fill or your center at say -6db if you wanted just a little center staging (while keeping the music in 2 channel mode). Or maybe you like more bass when listening to music vs when listening to movies so you up your subwoofer level on the music profile by 10db.

Then you can create a virtual input called say "BluRay Player Movies" and assign it say to HDMI1 and profile Movies. You can create another profile called say "BluRay Player Music" and assign it to HDMI1 as well but with profile Music. Now when you play music you simply swap over to Music input and it changes all these settings. It's really useful.

Not to mention things like the Anthem DAC is really good and just sounds nice for music.
eyecatcher127 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 519
ARC on Anthem is simply undeniably better than YPAO on Yamaha and I'm saying this as a Yamaha A3060 owner. There is no contest, different leagues.

I'm NOT saying YPAO is bad, because it isn't - but to properly integrate the all important bass frequencies during PEQ, you will need more effort to get the relevant data to put into YPAO manually. By more effort, it means you will have to learn how to use REW, you'll need to purchase a calibrated mic and you're going to need to spend some time.

ARC on the other hand, its automated process is far better than what YPAO can achieve. But the more important thing is that it simply is more intuitive (because it's basically a program on Windows) to tweak and it has more options to do so.

If you're asking about build quality, hardware components - I think the Aventage and MRX receivers are pretty much neck-and-neck. There are differences of course but they're more about who does things different rather than who does it better.

I'd recommend the the MRX-720 instead if you don't want to tinker with REW. But learning REW is also a blessing in disguise because that would allow you to get an external DSP which would then be even better than any automated room correction.

As for NAD, I know it comes with DIRAC and many people advocate it as the best room correction software. I can't comment on it as I have not spend a lot of time with it, the full version (which is paid upgrade that you have to do) is practically limitless as far as the majority of consumer HT room goes.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500

Last edited by Ben Tan; 08-07-2018 at 05:27 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One other thing I'll throw in about Anthem - I find them to have great customer service, they actually answer their phones, they seem to know what they are talking about, and they can analyze your ARC EQ files and make recommendations on how to improve.

Maybe NAD and Yamaha do as well, dunno.....

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #10 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
NMG

Thanks everyone, very useful comments!

I have read great things about Anthem customer service, and that's definitely a plus if it's needed. As for room correction, I'm liking the sound of ARC the best. Seems like for a user like me, it strikes the right balance between effectiveness and user friendliness. From what I've read about DIRAC, I think I may get overwhelmed, LOL.

Even if it's only about 50% of my use, I also know that music quality is going to be a pretty big priority for me so that has me leaning Anthem as well.

A little more for me to think about, but it's getting clearer

Last edited by NMG; 08-07-2018 at 01:47 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-07-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone, very useful comments!

I have read great things about Anthem customer service, and that's definitely a plus if it's needed. As for room correction, I'm liking the sound of ARC the best. Seems like for a user like me, it strikes the right balance between effectiveness and user friendliness. From what I've read about DIRAC, I think I may get overwhelmed, LOL.

Even if it's only about 50% of my use, I also know that music quality is going to be a pretty big priority for me so that has me leaning Anthem as well.

A little more for me to think about, but it's getting clearer

Not that the other brands don't, but Anthem also has some wonderful backing here from an enthusiastic and really experienced crowd of users, so be sure to hit those threads too for more advice on selection too! And of course, a great resource should you become an Anthem owner.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #12 of 19 Old 08-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello.

I have some aditional info to this toppic.

I have years listen with pleasure to my 2007 nadT775.
After thunder strike the T775 went defect on many issues.
It was the 3e time the avr went defect. The other 2 where hardware problems with remote signals.
And complete blank out display. (Seems a nad problem)

So.
Now i am looking for a new AV receiver.

The choice is between 4 receivers, the NAD T758v3, NAD T777v3, anthem 720 and the yamaha 2080.
Price
1500,00 euro 758v3
2499,00 euro 777v3
3200,00 euro anthem 720 (excl special acfion 750,00 cashback for old receiver)
1699,00 euro yamaha 2080.

What i am learning after listening the T758 and the yamaha.

NAD 775 is a class A/B receiver
Bu11t the 758 and the 777 where downgreaded to a class D receiver and you can hear the diffrent good. To bad.

The Yamaha and the anthem are A/B as well.

Another point of thought by the nad is that dirac is a perfect correction system, but it has one major problem.
After the messurement the dat is send by internet to zweden for calculation.
And thats the greatest problem. WHAT WILL BE WHEN THE COMPANY GOES BANKRUPT? ORE NAD QUITS THE LICENCE?
no room correction anny more. Also fm radio, mx ore dab+ where exit on the NAD models, only the 777v3 has lan internet radio.

Then the Anthem is a 7.1 receiver, for full effort of the atmos ore dts x you have to hook up an extra poweramp for the hightchannels, the anthem doesn,t have hightspeaker connection. The NAD and the Yamaha have.
Also the anthem doesnt have 7.1 analog input.

So after listening to the NAD T758v3 (hwo seems to have the same music output qulity) i was verry dissapointed over NAD.
After owning a T762, T765, T773 and latly the T775 it hurts to discover the downgradings and lack of radio.
First i would,nt heare any difrent between the nad and yamaha. Bud after an hour listning i must confess the NAD is realy not the nad anymore.

Playing for a sample another brick in the wall from pink floyd on the yamaha the music realy steps alive in the room.
Switching to the nad you can hear the music do a step backwards and closing in. To bad, this happend with all the cd,s i played.

Next i will try is the yamaha 2080 with the anthem 720 with i will update here.

For now the yamaha is my 1st choice. Because.
It has pro,s
a sabre es9007pro dac
9.1 channels incl hights.
DAB+
Surround AI
Cinnemadsp hd3
Blutooth
3 hdmi output
Price

Cons.
No 7.1 analog inputs
Old rgb and

The anthem.
Pro,s
Quality build.
Arc musical.

Cons.
Way over priced 3299,00 euro vs 2499,00 dollar? Dhue.
Even with the cashback action of 750,00 euro its 800,00 euro more!
Consider the anthem doesnt have dab+ a less dac.
No hight amp channels.

The listning test must show the diffrents if the anthem is wurth the price over the yamaha.

To be continuned.

(Sorry for some gramatic faults)
post #13 of 19 Old 08-04-2019, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just installed A anthem MRX 720, The sound from this is much better than i have from my marantz or yamaha. I noticed one thing that bugs me and that is the video quality it is not on par with the the marantz it replaced. I may be missing something so it could be my fault because i relay want to find a way to make this work the difference in the sound is amazing. Anthem is slow to upgrade there tech and this AVR has been out for some time so that may be why my sony 950g dose not look as good.

The NAD has one other point not mention that is a negative 3 hdmi inputs and no onscreen display those two points may be enough to sway some away.

If you can wait Mono Price has a new processor coming out will need a amp to go with it. the spec on it look very good. they are waiting for the new dirac live to come out before release unlike emotive did.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by telon175 View Post
I just installed A anthem MRX 720, The sound from this is much better than i have from my marantz or yamaha. I noticed one thing that bugs me and that is the video quality it is not on par with the the marantz it replaced. I may be missing something so it could be my fault because i relay want to find a way to make this work the difference in the sound is amazing. Anthem is slow to upgrade there tech and this AVR has been out for some time so that may be why my sony 950g dose not look as good.

The NAD has one other point not mention that is a negative 3 hdmi inputs and no onscreen display those two points may be enough to sway some away.

If you can wait Mono Price has a new processor coming out will need a amp to go with it. the spec on it look very good. they are waiting for the new dirac live to come out before release unlike emotive did.
The Anthem does nothing to the video signal. It is pass through only as far as I can tell.

Reality Based.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telon175 View Post

The picture quality has nothing to do with the Anthem - as Cattledog mentioned, it is just a pass-thru. So, if you are having PQ issues, it is the originating device, HDMI cable, or the display settings.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #16 of 19 Old 08-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0

If you can wait Mono Price has a new processor coming out will need a amp to go with it. the spec on it look very good. they are waiting for the new dirac live to come out before release unlike emotive did.[/QUOTE]

Tru the hdmi i forgot.
I can wayt, now listening to the t762😆😆😆
But again dirac, to me it is a internet issue. When internet collaps you cant use dirac anymore.
The only will be when dirac will calculate on your own pc, and jou dont have to upload and download.
Yust like all the other receivers.

I have a oppo bdp105 and 83se the se had a special bluray internet page.
But no support anymore so crap
post #17 of 19 Old 08-05-2019, 06:34 PM

I like the Anthem a lot Not going to get any thing else for some time my speakers sound a lot better with it maybe in the future i will but that will be some time next year if any
post #18 of 19 Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 PM

If Anthem makes a new AVR with the new HDMI what ever spec it is and they get actual TV's in micro dots a whole lot cheaper then i may look at changing bt i believe that will be a long time, looking for a tv than can that can do 4k and not be as dark as they are on UHD and Dolby vision
post #19 of 19 Old 08-06-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 655
NMG,

Lots of good input on this thread. A couple of additional thoughts from an Anthem (AVM 60) owner.

Do you have or plan to use multiple subs? While there are two sub connections on the back of the Anthem receivers, they are not configured independently. REW and miniDSP are sometimes (often?) used to overcome this. IMO this is something of a weak point on the Anthem gear though not necessarily a show-stopper.

Re: your comments about using NAD for some warmth with B&W and some recordings being bright, a couple of thoughts...

- IMO gear can't fix poor recordings but a focus on gear that's neutral, coupled with adjusting treble & volume can make lesser material listenable. FWIW the Anthem gear is very neutral. It won't make poor recordings sound great, nor should it.
- Does your room have any acoustic treatment? If not, that could be contributing to how bright recordings sound. It can also even out bass in the room and help with dialog clarity.
- If a particular recording or group of recordings have issues, it might be worth the effort to look for better recordings of the same content. The Dynamic Range Database and Discogs can be useful if you go down this path.

It could be, too, that one piece of gear produces a sound you like better than the others, has usability you prefer, or particular features that match your needs better. It's worth asking your AV dealer(s) about loaner AVRs and their return policy if things just don't work out.

Last thought... If there's nothing driving that one to two month timeline, it may worthwhile to spend more time on this decision. An AVR is the heart of your system. Get this right and you will enjoy your home entertainment system a lot more.

Best of luck,
Bill

5.1.4 System: Anthem AVM 60 | Anthem Statement A5 | ATI AT526NC | Revel F208, C208, M106, C763L | Velodyne FSR-12 | Samsung UN65KS800DF | Oppo UDP-203 | Roku Premiere+ | DIY HTPC | Logitech Harmony Companion | Amazon Echo Dot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page