Emotiva RMC-1 Availability Announced - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

post #271 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard68 View Post
Omg
i hope someone will do a review asap
Here are the highlights of my first impressions....

BASELINE: I have the RMC setup with the equipment in my signature. I am using a 9.1.6 configuration until expansion modules are available. I've made no audio adjustment besides distance and level matching with my SPL meter. No REW or filter changes yet.

The RMC is lighter in weight than the Marantz AV7704 I am replacing. I'm guessing the light weight is due to the lack of legacy inputs and boards inside. For some reason I feel like the RMC is very simple to physically hook up. It's the same number of cables and connections as my previous processor, but for some reason it felt easy. Again, this may be because the back panel is not messy with legacy inputs. Physical hookup was a breeze.

I've stated in the past I never personally felt like a beta tester with any of my other processor I purchased from Emotiva despite buying early in the product life cycle. Yes there were a few fixes with the XMC and UMC200, but they were small tweaks and not deal breakers (for me). The XMC and UMC200 arrived on my doorstep and seemed complete. If something wasn't included, there was a plan ahead of time from Emotiva on how it would be resolved. The XMC came with a draft manual and buyers were told a higher quality copy of the finished manual would be sent out with the Dirac mic once Dirac was installed via firmware. So I felt like there was a plan for anything that wasn't complete. That is not the feeling I get this go-round with the RMC. The RMC feels unfinished. No manual was included in the box and I have not heard if Emotiva plans to send us a manual. While using the RMC and sending all sorts of different video and audio at the machine, response times with remote clicks would sometimes take 15 seconds to register. Swapping inputs and immediately trying to change the volume didn't always work (sometimes it did). I began using my Harmony remote with the XMC codes. It would get annoying since I was not sure if I hit the correct button, if the harmony remote wasn't sending the correct signal or if the RMC was "frozen" for a moment.

While moving around in the menus there are times part of the menu will not load. Here is an example. The top two lines for the channel labels and their levels should appear, instead there is a blank line to the left of the -3.5 and -3.0 db levels. And I have no idea why "Preset 1" is shown further left on the menu screen.

The details shown by the OLED info does appear to be correct and changes correctly depending on the AV source. However, there were times while switching sources when the OLED menu would also not fully populate. In this example the video line on the bottom did not populate

While these issues are annoying, I'm very confident they are all fixable with a firmware update. At not point did I feel as if I had a hardware or quality issue. I am curious if Emotiva will send out a manual with future purchases or to previous buyers.

VIDEO: hdmi switching and sync times were on par with my old XMC. Not instant, but not annoying or long. With my JVC projector I didn't notice the syncs unless I ws using my my second monitor. There was twice the hdmi switching didn't lock and I got a blue screen. I'm guessing it may have been caused by using dual hdmi outputs and my use of the projector and monitor which do not have the exact same resolution and refresh rate. My fix was to change to a different input and then go back to the original input. That always seemed to "fix" the issue. All the different video formats and resolutions I tried to run displayed correctly on the OLED and passed through the hdmi boards.

AUDIO: From an audio standpoint. WOW! No issues at all. This thing is a show stopper. When I first "completed" my room I used a Marantz AV7704 as a filler until the RMC showed up. I always heard a (not a ground loop) from all my channels. It was annoying and noticeable especially when first starting up the system because my room is so quite. I would hear the clicking of the amps turning on and then "hisssssssssssssssss". I tried to resolve the issue many times, even swapped out the 7704 for a 8802. I never found a solution and figured it was my use of high sensitivity speakers and the amps. With the RMC the hiss disappeared. I used all the same cables and electrical outlets. NO MORE HISS! The RMC is dead quite. Dynamics seems a little quicker with the RMC compared to the 7704. This might be caused by the laid back or relaxed sound Marantz is known for. Whatever the cause, I prefer the RMC.

Channel separation seems a better with the RMC but the craziest thing is the sound stage. With my Marantz I played around a lot with the overhead levels, trying to make them more pronounced. The overhead channels sometimes felt like they got lost in the mix. With the RMC, I was watching some 7.1 content and I thought the RMC-1 was upmixing to a 7.1.6 config. I swore I heard the overhead channels cranking out sound. I stood up and discovered the overheads were not active. I sat back down and I heard the overheads again. I went and turned off the amp powering the overhead speakers to confirm the speakers were not active. When I sat back down it sounded like they were still playing. I never experienced that with the Marantz. My conclusion is that the RMC presents such a great surround sound sound stage, you don't need a lot (or anything) from the overhead channels to hear amazing surround sound tracks all around you.

When I did feed the RMC an Atmos soundtrack (Ready Player One and others) it did an amazing job. I felt the RMC provides a much better representation of the real soundtrack than the Marantz.

Final thoughts: I'm tickled with the audio performance. If Emotiva can fix the menu display issues and lock into the hdmi sync 100% of the time, this processor is a giant killer. The RMC is everything I was hoping for and more from an audio side. I think once Dirac is added, the audio performance will only improve. This is not a finished product yet. The RMC is a mostly working product yes, but not refined and finished. If you get hdmi locked in, don't access menus and feed this thing a great soundtrack, the RMC-1 is worth every single penny and more. If you switch inputs A LOT and enjoy tinkering with the menus more than most, I'd suggest waiting until a firmware updates fix the problems. But once resolved, my opinion for anyone looking in this price range is BUY THIS PROCESSOR!!!!
giomania, stef2, LydMekk and 4 others like this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
>snip<
Very good review. I'll be honest, in the posts I've seen of yours, you came across to me as a fanboy, but this is a very honest review, and you kinda reinforce the two things I've seen around here about Emotiva Prepros which is that they aren't ready on release, but they have superb sound. I can't afford one now, but hopefully, by the time they get the bugs worked out.... I'll still not be able to afford one.
post #273 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Thanks for your first impressions deewan. I aim for the AVR version of the RMC-1 whenever it is released, not that I'm in a rush as my 9.1.6 setup is working just fine as is.
Ted99 likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Thanks for the review @deewan . Do you find yourself needing to [pwer cycle the unit often?

Selling in AVS Classifieds
FS: Trinnov Altitude 16
post #275 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Very good review. I'll be honest, in the posts I've seen of yours, you came across to me as a fanboy, but this is a very honest review, and you kinda reinforce the two things I've seen around here about Emotiva Prepros which is that they aren't ready on release, but they have superb sound. I can't afford one now, but hopefully, by the time they get the bugs worked out.... I'll still not be able to afford one.
I'm sure you aren't the only one who thinks I'm a "fanboy". I feel my posts have always been honest with my experience with Emotiva. Unfortunately it appears if my experience doesn't align with others or others opinions, I'm sometimes labeled as a "fanboy" or "Blue Kool-aid drinker". So be it. I enjoy their products and can't find anything else I prefer more.

My past experiences with Emotiva showed me that while their pre-pros were not 100% perfect at release, Emotiva did release a 'finished' product. What I mean by finished is any issue I had was specific to certain situation or involved specific gear. The customer service from Emotiva always impressed me and still does. I detailed the bugs with the XMC I owned in previous post and why I don't expect any company to test connections with every piece of AV gear or every audio track. I do expect things like menus to populate and the device to always respond to commands in a timely manner. If it doesn't, it's not finished in my mind. That is why I still believe until the release of the RMC, Emotiva had released finished products, just not fully refined products. The value, performance and customer service for Emotiva product is high enough I have a tolerance for small issues. If others have a smaller tolerance for issues or higher standard for customer service they are well within their rights to hold those standards. My suggestion is and always will be to buy something else. Following Emotiva threads and posting about a company a person as a fundamental disagreement with is not productive for anyone... plus it makes us fanboys less likely to share out opinions and experiences.
giomania and drh3b like this.

Old Woods Remodel
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #276 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:

BASELINE: I have the RMC setup with the equipment in my signature. I am using a 9.1.6 configuration until expansion modules are available. I've made no audio adjustment besides distance and level matching with my SPL meter. No REW or filter changes yet.

(snip)
When I did feed the RMC an Atmos soundtrack (Ready Player One and others) it did an amazing job. I felt the RMC provides a much better representation of the real soundtrack than the Marantz.
Just out of curiosity, were you using a 7.1.4 layout with the Marantz 7704? I wonder if you're noticing more sense of overheads with the top middles and wides in play, relative to your MLP. I might do an A/B with my Trinnov Altitude, where I can compare a 7.1.4 configuration to a 9.1.6 layout (using presets and the Speaker Configuration Menu, it's simple), and look at the input meters to see if the overheads are particularly active in the directly rendered Atmos mix, as well as the wides.

It's interesting become some mixes seem to split content between Top Front and Top Rears, but then render it to the Top Middles if the mixer put the static overhead objects there. Or you could just have a more active mix where going to 9.1.6 is beneficial to you .

Quote:
Final thoughts: I'm tickled with the audio performance. If Emotiva can fix the menu display issues and lock into the hdmi sync 100% of the time, this processor is a giant killer. The RMC is everything I was hoping for and more from an audio side. I think once Dirac is added, the audio performance will only improve. This is not a finished product yet. The RMC is a mostly working product yes, but not refined and finished. If you get hdmi locked in, don't access menus and feed this thing a great soundtrack, the RMC-1 is worth every single penny and more. If you switch inputs A LOT and enjoy tinkering with the menus more than most, I'd suggest waiting until a firmware updates fix the problems. But once resolved, my opinion for anyone looking in this price range is BUY THIS PROCESSOR!!!!
If/when they get the growing pains out and roll out a 16 channel implementation of Dirac, you may be right...at least compared to D&M, NAD and possibly even Storm Audio (I'd add Lyngdorf's MP-50 to the list but it has the relatively unique RoomPerfect room EQ, which is a dealmaker for some buyers). It would certainly make the Datasat LS10/RS20i units obsolete.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #277 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Thanks for the review @deewan . Do you find yourself needing to [pwer cycle the unit often?
I have power cycled once. After I loaded all my system preferences and saved them to a USB drive I did a full power cycle, a process I always did with my XMC. It seemed to keep things cleaner and issue free.

The full power cycle takes about 75 seconds (not an official time) to boot up. The Video pass through power setting takes the RMC about 2 seconds to start up.

Old Woods Remodel
post #278 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Just out of curiosity, were you using a 7.1.4 layout with the Marantz 7704? I wonder if you're noticing more sense of overheads with the top middles and wides in play, relative to your MLP. I might do an A/B with my Trinnov Altitude, where I can compare a 7.1.4 configuration to a 9.1.6 layout (using presets and the Speaker Configuration Menu, it's simple), and look at the input meters to see if the overheads are particularly active in the directly rendered Atmos mix, as well as the wides.

It's interesting become some mixes seem to split content between Top Front and Top Rears, but then render it to the Top Middles if the mixer put the static overhead objects there. Or you could just have a more active mix where going to 9.1.6 is beneficial to you .

Because the Marantz was 11.2 I was using some XLR splitters to feed all channels in my room. The two pairs of side side surrounds where getting the same feed and the second and third row pairs of overheads were getting the same feed. It's not a true apples to apples comparison, but the difference I heard in 7.1 content without overheads is more than enough to give me a big grin of audio bliss. And the implementation of true 9.1.6 is even better.

Old Woods Remodel
post #279 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have power cycled once. After I loaded all my system preferences and saved them to a USB drive I did a full power cycle, a process I always did with my XMC. It seemed to keep things cleaner and issue free.

The full power cycle takes about 75 seconds (not an official time) to boot up. The Video pass through power setting takes the RMC about 2 seconds to start up.

Thanks - I've been eyeing the RMC. I liked the sound quality of the XMC a lot, but is was non-audio issues (freeze that needed for frequent power cycling. working with my URC remote etc) that killed it for me

post #280 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Sort of related to what you're saying my wife/kids (ie test subjects) rolled her eyes whe I added front wides to go from 5.1.4 to 7.1.4 but it certainly added something. There'd be a lot of "what was that noise....oh, its the movie" comments from the peanut gallery

post #281 of 289 Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Just a suggestion.

Could owners of the RMC post in The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread if at all possible? That way all the forthcoming info will be in one area instead of 2.
Be easier to see what the unit has to offer and any issues.

Thanks to all.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Spoiler!
post #282 of 289 Old 11-30-2018, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

The RMC is lighter in weight than the Marantz AV7704 I am replacing. I'm guessing the light weight is due to the lack of legacy inputs and boards inside. For some reason I feel like the RMC is very simple to physically hook up. It's the same number of cables and connections as my previous processor, but for some reason it felt easy. Again, this may be because the back panel is not messy with legacy inputs. Physical hookup was a breeze.

I've stated in the past I never personally felt like a beta tester with any of my other processor I purchased from Emotiva despite buying early in the product life cycle. Yes there were a few fixes with the XMC and UMC200, but they were small tweaks and not deal breakers (for me). The XMC and UMC200 arrived on my doorstep and seemed complete. If something wasn't included, there was a plan ahead of time from Emotiva on how it would be resolved. The XMC came with a draft manual and buyers were told a higher quality copy of the finished manual would be sent out with the Dirac mic once Dirac was installed via firmware. So I felt like there was a plan for anything that wasn't complete. That is not the feeling I get this go-round with the RMC. The RMC feels unfinished. No manual was included in the box and I have not heard if Emotiva plans to send us a manual. While using the RMC and sending all sorts of different video and audio at the machine, response times with remote clicks would sometimes take 15 seconds to register. Swapping inputs and immediately trying to change the volume didn't always work (sometimes it did). I began using my Harmony remote with the XMC codes. It would get annoying since I was not sure if I hit the correct button, if the harmony remote wasn't sending the correct signal or if the RMC was "frozen" for a moment.

While moving around in the menus there are times part of the menu will not load. Here is an example. The top two lines for the channel labels and their levels should appear, instead there is a blank line to the left of the -3.5 and -3.0 db levels. And I have no idea why "Preset 1" is shown further left on the menu screen.

The details shown by the OLED info does appear to be correct and changes correctly depending on the AV source. However, there were times while switching sources when the OLED menu would also not fully populate. In this example the video line on the bottom did not populate

While these issues are annoying, I'm very confident they are all fixable with a firmware update. At not point did I feel as if I had a hardware or quality issue. I am curious if Emotiva will send out a manual with future purchases or to previous buyers.

VIDEO: hdmi switching and sync times were on par with my old XMC. Not instant, but not annoying or long. With my JVC projector I didn't notice the syncs unless I ws using my my second monitor. There was twice the hdmi switching didn't lock and I got a blue screen. I'm guessing it may have been caused by using dual hdmi outputs and my use of the projector and monitor which do not have the exact same resolution and refresh rate. My fix was to change to a different input and then go back to the original input. That always seemed to "fix" the issue. All the different video formats and resolutions I tried to run displayed correctly on the OLED and passed through the hdmi boards.

AUDIO: From an audio standpoint. WOW! No issues at all. This thing is a show stopper. When I first "completed" my room I used a Marantz AV7704 as a filler until the RMC showed up. I always heard a (not a ground loop) from all my channels. It was annoying and noticeable especially when first starting up the system because my room is so quite. I would hear the clicking of the amps turning on and then "hisssssssssssssssss". I tried to resolve the issue many times, even swapped out the 7704 for a 8802. I never found a solution and figured it was my use of high sensitivity speakers and the amps. With the RMC the hiss disappeared. I used all the same cables and electrical outlets. NO MORE HISS! The RMC is dead quite. Dynamics seems a little quicker with the RMC compared to the 7704. This might be caused by the laid back or relaxed sound Marantz is known for. Whatever the cause, I prefer the RMC.

Channel separation seems a better with the RMC but the craziest thing is the sound stage. With my Marantz I played around a lot with the overhead levels, trying to make them more pronounced. The overhead channels sometimes felt like they got lost in the mix. With the RMC, I was watching some 7.1 content and I thought the RMC-1 was upmixing to a 7.1.6 config. I swore I heard the overhead channels cranking out sound. I stood up and discovered the overheads were not active. I sat back down and I heard the overheads again. I went and turned off the amp powering the overhead speakers to confirm the speakers were not active. When I sat back down it sounded like they were still playing. I never experienced that with the Marantz. My conclusion is that the RMC presents such a great surround sound sound stage, you don't need a lot (or anything) from the overhead channels to hear amazing surround sound tracks all around you.

Dude this post should be in the owners thread, it's a little thin in there!
Here is the link https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...rs-thread.html

Last edited by rickcfer; 11-30-2018 at 04:33 AM.
post #283 of 289 Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am do excited about RMC 1 was about to get the Denon 8500
Do anyone have info on the choose of speaker set up beyond 9.1.6 that expands with the modules in January
post #284 of 289 Old 11-30-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Dude this post should be in the owners thread, it's a little thin in there!
Here is the link https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...rs-thread.html
Just a shame that one of the first posts in that thread tell every non-owners to not post. I foresee that thread to die out for that one reason.
dwaleke, llang269 and dgrizzard like this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #285 of 289 Old 11-30-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Just a shame that one of the first posts in that thread tell every non-owners to not post. I foresee that thread to die out for that one reason.
That is beyond odd. I would think that a great deal of questions about the processor would be from the people who are interested but don't yet own it, just like every other thread on this site. O_o
post #286 of 289 Old 11-30-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
That is beyond odd. I would think that a great deal of questions about the processor would be from the people who are interested but don't yet own it, just like every other thread on this site. O_o
I edited, & deleted that from the post a few days ago. Feel free to post questions over there.

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)

Last edited by Geronimo.USMC; 11-30-2018 at 04:03 PM.
post #287 of 289 Old 11-30-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post
I edited, & deleted that from the post a few days ago. Feel free to post questions over there.
Awesome sauce.
post #288 of 289 Old 12-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi all
It there anyone else who has received an Rmc1
That can talk about how it works
post #289 of 289 Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard68 View Post
Hi all
It there anyone else who has received an Rmc1
That can talk about how it works

The new owner's thread is starting to get some reports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , emotiva rmc-1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page