HDMI to Projector with Sound? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2018, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI to Projector with Sound?

First post Disclaimer

Hi all, I find myself here after being shuttled through no less than 5 customer service departments for 3 different companies. I have, what I assume is, a pretty straight-forward and simple question.

Some background: I purchased a cheap home theater in a box kit over a decade ago. It has worked fine for what I use it for in that time. When I got my full time job after finishing grad school, we moved to a new house and I built a home theater setup in the basement (wires run through the walls, projector mount and outlets in the ceiling... all of it). My thought was I would pretty much just need to upgrade the devices connected to the wires: speakers, AVR, projector. I'm realizing I should've added other things (like PVC piping to help feed wires). By the time this is an issue, I won't be in the house.

Enter my current situation: We switched from cable to Roku/YouTube TV. I purchased 3 Roku Ultras for Livingroom, Bedroom, and Theater Room. The problem: The Roku Ultra only has HDMI out. My AVR (Sony STR-DG510) is ancient. It accepts the HDMI signal from the Roku but only sends the signal to the projector (Optoma HD28DSE). There is an option for an audio out from the projector but I don't have the ability to add a carrier wire into the ceiling for this nor do I "want" this outcome. The current setup strands the audio signal in the projector and prevents me from playing Roku media over surround sound.

What I'd like: A recommendation for an AVR that can take the single Roku HDMI signal, send audio to my surround sound speakers (5.1) and send video to the projector over HDMI. The projector is 3D capable so I'd like to retain this function with the new AVR.

Please help me better understand this topic if it isn't as simple as I think it is. Roku customer support was literally useless and told me (and I quote): well, connect the Roku to your projector. Best Buy Geek Squad wanted to come do an inhome diagnostic (for charge of course) after asking them what an appropriate AVR would be. This has been no less than a 6 week process and we're into football season. I'd love to watch my games on the big screen. Thanks all.

Technical:
Media player: Roku with only HDMI out
AVR: Sony STR-DG510
Projector: Optoma HD28DSE
HDMI in ceiling: 3D and AVR capable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2018, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Whops, I meant that the HDMI cable supports ARC.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-03-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpinney View Post
What I'd like: A recommendation for an AVR that can take the single Roku HDMI signal, send audio to my surround sound speakers (5.1) and send video to the projector over HDMI. The projector is 3D capable so I'd like to retain this function with the new AVR.

Please help me better understand this topic if it isn't as simple as I think it is. Roku customer support was literally useless and told me (and I quote): well, connect the Roku to your projector. Best Buy Geek Squad wanted to come do an inhome diagnostic (for charge of course) after asking them what an appropriate AVR would be. This has been no less than a 6 week process and we're into football season. I'd love to watch my games on the big screen. Thanks all.

Technical:
Media player: Roku with only HDMI out
AVR: Sony STR-DG510
Projector: Optoma HD28DSE
HDMI in ceiling: 3D and AVR capable
Your problem can be solved by replacing the Sony STR-DG510 with any modern receiver, from a $230 entry level model (e.g. Denon AVR-S540BT) to a $4000 flagship model (e.g. Denon AVR-X8500H). Your budget and whatever other features you want would determine which model you get. You can also pay less by purchasing discontinued, used or refurbished models.

Your Sony receiver is a first-generation HDMI device which can switch HDMI signals but cannot decode HDMI audio. Fortunately, receivers made more recently (in the past 8-10 years) can decode HDMI audio from 1080p HD and 3D and from lower resolution HDMI signals. Receivers made in the past 3 years or so can decode HDMI audio from 4K UHD video sources.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-03-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. Very helpful. I knew the AVR was the root of the problem but felt like I was having a significantly harder time getting the answer you gave than should be necessary. The receiver met my needs while I had it and I'm ready for the next. Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-03-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpinney View Post
Thanks so much. Very helpful. I knew the AVR was the root of the problem but felt like I was having a significantly harder time getting the answer you gave than should be necessary. The receiver met my needs while I had it and I'm ready for the next. Thanks!
You're very welcome.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page