Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080, RX-A2080 and RX-A3080 AVRs with AI Surround at CEDIA 2018 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By SkyCyberguy
  • 2 Post By Mickey Mouse
  • 1 Post By blazar
  • 1 Post By BubbaDude
  • 1 Post By ChromeJob
  • 1 Post By highd3f

post #1 of 13 Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9163 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080, RX-A2080 and RX-A3080 AVRs with AI Surround at CEDIA 2018

If you watch the video below, you'll hear Yamaha's Phil Shea say "It's probably the biggest advance in DSP since we've been doing it, since 1987." That elicited a genuine "wow" from me because it's such a bold claim! The new technology is found inside the top three new AVR models Yamaha showed at CEDIA 2018: Aventage RX-A1080, RX-A2080 and RX-A3080.

Check out the interview to find out more about this new technology from Yamaha that analyzes surround-sound content five times per second in order to apply the most appropriate amount of DSP processing on a scene-by-scene basis...

bertk likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-09-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
these guys are definitely on to something. I would say this coupled with Dolby Surround Upmixer or Auro3D style upmixer would be nice.

In the end, these would be my goals for the "perfect system":
a) high channel count like the Trinnov Altitude (in excess of most people's channel needs)
b) NO need to change surround field mode or push any button for DSP related functions ... EVER. This should all be automated via the AI concept or through pre configured options per each type of sound field. As it stands now, I NEVER go and change sound fields on the Altitude despite having the option to do so.
c) MULTIPLE ways to do power and volume control - IP control, IR control, Apple Homekit, GOogle home, Alexa control, etc.
d) source control would ideally switch as automatically as possible, but with the future of streaming, I am going to bet that most people are going to be on ONE consolidated source like the Apple TV.
e) multiple ways to activate a TV or projector should always be included as well. CEC was a good idea but often doesn't setup well depending on the situation.

For me, the ideal receiver device is one that you really never even look at, touch, or even need a separate remote for.

I currently walk in, verbal command lights and system power on/off. I use apple remote to take care of volume (via IR/repeater), and do all browsing using the IR remote. voice commands activate my altitude/projector/screen via triggers.

I have always liked the built in automation amenities that Yamaha/marantz/denon/integra that are often missing in "higher end" devices. One example is native airplay 2 where your audio input source would automatically switch based on a new signal being played via airplay. These manufacturers do a decent job keeping these automation features consistent from model to model and generation to generation.

I will be nice to see all products become compatible with ALL the new home automation schemes from silicon valley organizations.

Blazar!
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2018, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
To me that sounds like Yamaha is once again doing what they always did best (just elevating it to the "next level"): Messing around with the signal by adding echoes and reverbs that aren't part of the original recording. Just this time they automatically decide 5 times a second how much to add to each scene.
In this hobby, luckily, everything is allowed that you personally like.
I personally do not like what Yamaha does (and did) with their Cinema DSP processing.
highd3f likes this.

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2018, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yes, but does it have the IMAX Enhanced Mode
post #5 of 13 Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
NO need to change surround field mode or push any button for DSP related functions ... EVER. This should all be automated via the AI concept or through pre configured options per each type of sound field. As it stands now, I NEVER go and change sound fields on the Altitude despite having the option to do so.
that's exactly the opposite of what i consider a "perfect system"...
I want ME to be in control!
I'm using different DSP base programs and configure them for almost every movie. Even if i view the same movie a second time i probably use a different DSP program since i'm in a different mood just because it's the second time i see this movie.
no AI can read my mind and choose a mode i would choose right now.
Matthew76 and wildbill136 like this.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-10-2018, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
I'm using different DSP base programs and configure them for almost every movie. Even if i view the same movie a second time i probably use a different DSP program since i'm in a different mood just because it's the second time i see this movie.
couldn't agree more
post #7 of 13 Old 09-10-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
I used to think like that... but then slowly got bored of messing with the various settings. The reason I am right is that most people will use the default settings. I am willing to bet that is the case 99% of the time. For those that like to customize their experience, you can always do that anyway. You still want the default to be the best experience possible based on some pre-set preferences.
Skytrooper likes this.

Blazar!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-12-2018, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCyberguy View Post
To me that sounds like Yamaha is once again doing what they always did best (just elevating it to the "next level"): Messing around with the signal by adding echoes and reverbs that aren't part of the original recording. Just this time they automatically decide 5 times a second how much to add to each scene.
In this hobby, luckily, everything is allowed that you personally like.
I personally do not like what Yamaha does (and did) with their Cinema DSP processing.

I think DSP modes are a hit or miss on my A5000 - mostly good, but when you pause the sound, you can help the reverb ringing... On some movies it is just horrible. But mostly good. The dialoglift mode I really like. Makes my center sound much bigger.

:-)
post #9 of 13 Old 10-05-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Theory is nice, but has anyone tried Surround:AI? I'd like to know what it really sounds like.
kumar2018 likes this.

Richard Bennett
The Real RB
post #10 of 13 Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDude View Post
Theory is nice, but has anyone tried Surround:AI? I'd like to know what it really sounds like.

Picked up a RX-A2080 about a week ago, been very happy with it and personally I love the AI button. Only watched 3 movies so far, but it's done a great job, Jurassic World, Mad Max Furry Road, Ant man and the Wasp. The dialog is very good, not heard any added reverb. I'm kind of new to the surround world, so the AI button is kind of like an easy button.

RX-A2080 running in 7.2, bi-amp + 2.0 zone 2
NS-777 left + right front (bi-amp)

NS-C444 center
NS-333 left + right surround
NS-333 left + right surround back
NS-SW300 x2

Stream via Netflix 4k or Amazon Prime or Google Play. Just picked up a Blu Ray player the other day, Yamaha BD-S681, going to watch The Martin (7.1 encoded) this week.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
Picked up a RX-A2080 about a week ago, ….
Please note that there is now a 2018 Yamaha RX-A Series thread for owners.
dstewart51 likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 10-31-2018 at 12:38 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-30-2018, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
RX-A2080 running in 7.2, bi-amp + 2.0 zone 2
NS-777 left + right front (bi-amp)

NS-C444 center
NS-333 left + right surround
NS-333 left + right surround back
NS-SW300 x2
Wow, this was my first home theater set up. Back then I used a basic RX-V565 receiver and later when Yamaha unveiled the Aventage series upgraded to RX-A1020. That little subwoofer made me feel like I was in a real cinema, and the NS-777 with the 8-inch woofers really made the front stage pop out of the screen when watching movies. I really hope you're enjoying your Yamaha speakers as I still have lots of fond memories of those first years going through my music library, enjoying the dynamic sound, re-watching my favorite movies and experiencing the surround nirvana. They must really shine with your new A2080 and those dual SW300 shaking the walls.
dstewart51 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post
Wow, this was my first home theater set up. Back then I used a basic RX-V565 receiver and later when Yamaha unveiled the Aventage series upgraded to RX-A1020. That little subwoofer made me feel like I was in a real cinema, and the NS-777 with the 8-inch woofers really made the front stage pop out of the screen when watching movies. I really hope you're enjoying your Yamaha speakers as I still have lots of fond memories of those first years going through my music library, enjoying the dynamic sound, re-watching my favorite movies and experiencing the surround nirvana. They must really shine with your new A2080 and those dual SW300 shaking the walls.

I am and it's an amazing upgrade from what I had, so it sounds amazing and will rock the house with ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
ai surround , cedia 2018 , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page