• 1 Post By Russdawg1

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2018, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Marantz + QSC?

Wow, wouldn’t have ever dreamt of asking this question until a month ago. I am building a home theater in my room. Nothing big, hoping to have room for expansion and upgradability in the future. I have my eyes on a preowned Marantz AV7005 and 3 QSC CX series pro amplifiers. Is this a crazy idea? Am I much better off going with a simple receiver? Would I see any noticeable differences between either option? Yell your responses at me if you like, just wondering if I’m just a lunatic trying to waste my money.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The QSC's are nice pro amps and with 3 you will have tons of power. Paired with the Marantz it should be a nice setup. What you may give up (slightly at least) is ease of use verses a receiver. No remote with the QSC's mean you will have to turn them on and off manually every time you use them. If you have family that may end up being a pain. There maybe a way to "trigger" them, not really sure. It may come down to the price and how good of a deal the Marantz/QSC is.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
There maybe a way to "trigger" them, not really sure.
you can get a power strip/outlet that is activated via the 12v trigger function. a Search on amazon or ebay will give you plenty of options.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I would not put fan-cooled pro amplifiers (with a few exceptions known to be judicious in their usage of said fans, such as Crown XLS) in the same room used for listening. If you have a separate room or closet for the equipment, they will work fine.
vzphoneman likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
The QSC's are nice pro amps and with 3 you will have tons of power. Paired with the Marantz it should be a nice setup. What you may give up (slightly at least) is ease of use verses a receiver. No remote with the QSC's mean you will have to turn them on and off manually every time you use them. If you have family that may end up being a pain. There maybe a way to "trigger" them, not really sure. It may come down to the price and how good of a deal the Marantz/QSC is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
I would not put fan-cooled pro amplifiers (with a few exceptions known to be judicious in their usage of said fans, such as Crown XLS) in the same room used for listening. If you have a separate room or closet for the equipment, they will work fine.
Well I have a closet that I will be storing the equipment in. I might also be building a temperature controlled av rack too, so I don’t think the loudness of the fans, if at all, since they are variable speed fans, should be a problem. As for the clicking the switches, I don’t think I will have a problem as I honestly enjoy the sound the switches make 🙂

What would be a decent price for the Marantz? $350 seems to be the average price on audiogon, and with a $1600 retail this cant exactly be a bad deal? Craigslist will give me two QSC CX502s and a CX302 for $180, not too sure about the details of these, enlighten me on them if you have the time 🙂

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2018, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
qsc cx amps are great. If you will be in a passive setup and the marantz is handling dsp functions then it will work fine. However if you plan to do any type of biamping or triamping you will need a qsc dcm,dcp,or xc3. If noise is a concern the fans can be switched out with aftermarket fans that are quieter. In an enclosed rack the noise negligible
post #7 of 7 Old 11-06-2018, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbromley View Post
qsc cx amps are great. If you will be in a passive setup and the marantz is handling dsp functions then it will work fine. However if you plan to do any type of biamping or triamping you will need a qsc dcm,dcp,or xc3. If noise is a concern the fans can be switched out with aftermarket fans that are quieter. In an enclosed rack the noise negligible
Hehe I appreciate your input, however I landed on a newer Onkyo Receiver with more bells and whistles than the older AV7005. I didn't want to spend $500 on my electronics so I went with a $225 receiver.

Thank you however and I'll let you know if I ever circle back to something like this
vzphoneman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page