The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 306Likes

post #601 of 1079 Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
I think maybe you might have misread my post. I am very pleased with the bass of the built in subs in the 8040’s. To my “bad ears” they blend perfectly. I could connect them to the LFE but choose not to because of how well everything blends so nicely.
I do not try make decision on you system like "Good" ore "Bad". If you like - it is OK. Just not correct. No good for cinema and additional bass heavy load for AVR.

Last edited by Torch60; 02-26-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1079 Old 02-26-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
i have the RX3070
i'm sad it won't get eARC
But ... do you need eARC? Is something unsatisfactory in your setup that eARC will improve? ... I wouldn't worry with a 3000 series Aventage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarzan View Post
Thanks, I just changed my sub to flat. I adjusted the speaker distances after YPAO to what closer to what they are. It had the sub at 20'. I changed to 12'. YPAO also makes all of my speakers large and I change those back to small, good? The front left and right are the cheaper Klipsch towers with 6.5" speakers. I think the matching Klipsch center channel has 5.25" speakers.
As mentioned, the "distance" setting is a misnomer, it's how YPAO is trying to compensate for measured delays. Consider leaving as YPAO set them, particularly if you use a PEQ setting.
zeuspaul and Torch60 like this.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #603 of 1079 Old 02-27-2019, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
i have the RX3070
i'm sad it won't get eARC
You need an eARC tv too if you want to USE it. I think not a big deal now, because you still can get DolbyAtmos via ARC with DolbyDigital+. It’s lossy but still good.

Dolby Atmos 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1079 Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 AM
tdx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Any of these models getting Airplay 2?
post #605 of 1079 Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch60 View Post
YPAO try find full distance between you and SW using time delay measurement. And then SW is in a corner of room - this distance may be more, then real distance, cose you hear summ straight and reflected from the wall sound. Better do not change it.
I've gone through ypao calibration again testing 3 times. I installed Sound Analyzer App on my android phone. I set the volume on my 3080 to about half way. The front, center and rear speakers are more or less level around 90dBA and the sub is about 72dBA. Does this sound correct? thanks!!!
post #606 of 1079 Old 02-27-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I've gone through ypao calibration again testing 3 times. I installed Sound Analyzer App on my android phone. I set the volume on my 3080 to about half way. The front, center and rear speakers are more or less level around 90dBA and the sub is about 72dBA. Does this sound correct? thanks!!!
If you want have correct result - you should use correct tools. Any software on any phone without calibration - just nice toys. From other side - all, what you do - you do for yourself. It means you target - god sound for you hears, not for phone. Try for example watch Metallica - Through the Never Dolby Atmos - very good drum sound. Ore "Jurassic Park" - dinosaur steep sound. And Be Happy!
post #607 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@gitarzan
After you got through the YPAO calibration, did you check the results?
Did you go through all the 8 points?

-What was the sub level? -6dB or what? Try to manually increase that...

-Put all the speakers to SMALL and set the crossover to 80Hz (THX recommendation)

-Also on the remote there is a OPTION-button, push that.
There is settings listed. Go over to VOLUME TRIM -> Subwoofer Trim -> Increase that.

What kind of sub you got?
There should be a knob on the back panel labeled "GAIN" or "VOLUME" etc.
Turn that to "12 o'clock" or little over.
post #608 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyV View Post
OoooooK. I understand - but that sounds a bit more fiddly than it was before. All I had to do was turn on the AppleTV while switched to a CD or Record player input and boom, I was in business.

Whats the least fiddly way to be able to accomplish this? Scenes?

I have this same "problem".
My CD-player is connected to AUDIO2 and my HTPC is connected to AV3

I have spoked with Yamaha area manager and he said that there is no way to connect these that way that

you can watch something from AV3 and still hear music coming from AUDIO2 inputs.

Other than...

Connect your CD-player to PHONO-inputs or ... bear with me, connect your player to AUX-inputs (which are located behind the front cover)

Last edited by Phenix; 02-28-2019 at 04:17 AM.
post #609 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
@gitarzan
After you got through the YPAO calibration, did you check the results?
Did you go through all the 8 points?

-What was the sub level? -6dB or what? Try to manually increase that...

-Put all the speakers to SMALL and set the crossover to 80Hz (THX recommendation)

-Also on the remote there is a OPTION-button, push that.
There is settings listed. Go over to VOLUME TRIM -> Subwoofer Trim -> Increase that.

What kind of sub you got?
There should be a knob on the back panel labeled "GAIN" or "VOLUME" etc.
Turn that to "12 o'clock" or little over.
ypao set the sub to -4.5. I only went through 3 points. I have changed all speakers to small 80hz after ypao. Sub is a Klipsch RW-12 with digital controls (no knobs). I set volume to a little over half way, I set low pass to 120hz and phase to 0 degrees. Manually increased the sub to 0 and played around with subwoofer trim and enhanced bass. Still not quite right.
post #610 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch60 View Post
If you want have correct result - you should use correct tools. Any software on any phone without calibration - just nice toys. From other side - all, what you do - you do for yourself. It means you target - god sound for you hears, not for phone. Try for example watch Metallica - Through the Never Dolby Atmos - very good drum sound. Ore "Jurassic Park" - dinosaur steep sound. And Be Happy!

Yes, calibrated the app on my phone during quiet. Can't get sub setting t right. Not sure why. Certain it worked correct when I first set it up. Back to thinking something not right with the sub output on the 3080.
post #611 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ypao set the sub to -4.5. I only went through 3 points. I have changed all speakers to small 80hz after ypao. Sub is a Klipsch RW-12 with digital controls (no knobs). I set volume to a little over half way, I set low pass to 120hz and phase to 0 degrees. Manually increased the sub to 0 and played around with subwoofer trim and enhanced bass. Still not quite right.
My suggestion: don't use "extra bass" or "enhanced bass." If your main speaker woofers are smaller than 8", just mark the speakers "small," set bass cross over to 80 Hz (a bit higher if woofers are smaller than 6"), and enjoy.

If YPAO set the sub level to -4.5 dB, the gain might be a wee bit hot. See below.

Quote:
Yes, calibrated the app on my phone during quiet. Can't get sub setting t right. Not sure why. Certain it worked correct when I first set it up. Back to thinking something not right with the sub output on the 3080.
Mics on phones aren't calibrated, so Torch is relatively correct, phone SPL apps are toys. You can buy a calibrated mic and run REW if you want to graduate to super-tweaker level, but it shouldn't be necessary to set up the AVR.

I suspect you're suffering from "tweak-itis." Just run YPAO again, set the subwoofer's gain control and repeate until YPAO sets the subwoofer to between -3 dB and +3 dB. FYI, the "test tone" feature generally plays much quieter through the sub than the speakers. Don't base your impression on that.

Some believe that most consumers turn their surrounds and their subwoofer too high so they "can hear them." Take your disappointment with a grain of salt, and just watch some movies, listen to some music, and really see if you're missing something. Use the tone controls or subwoofer volume adjust (on some models) to adjust for the content (e.g. jazz music versus Michael Bay movie).
Torch60 likes this.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #612 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Some believe that most consumers turn their surrounds and their subwoofer too high so they "can hear them." Take your disappointment with a grain of salt, and just watch some movies, listen to some music, and really see if you're missing something. Use the tone controls or subwoofer volume adjust (on some models) to adjust for the content (e.g. jazz music versus Michael Bay movie).
I try say same. But my English is seek )) (I am from Russia).
post #613 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi,
Recently upgraded my AVR from Marantz SR 7005 to Yamaha Rx A3080. I'm using Oppo BDP 93 Bluray player. Connected Bluray player via HDMI to AVR. When I play Video files from Bluray player only video plays and there is no audio. Tried to play only Audio FLAC files and changed to "Bitstream" in Bluray player audio settings, the files play but there is no audio output. Any body please suggest remedy for this.
Shashi
post #614 of 1079 Old 02-28-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3744 Post(s)
Liked: 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashidharga View Post
Hi,
Recently upgraded my AVR from Marantz SR 7005 to Yamaha Rx A3080. I'm using Oppo BDP 93 Bluray player. Connected Bluray player via HDMI to AVR. When I play Video files from Bluray player only video plays and there is no audio. Tried to play only Audio FLAC files and changed to "Bitstream" in Bluray player audio settings, the files play but there is no audio output. Any body please suggest remedy for this.
Shashi
This is an issues with HDCP 2.2, the older Oppo fails on HDCP handshakes. You have 2 options: Set the Yamaha to HDMI Mode-2, or contact Oppo support and get the special firmware to fix the handshake. Be aware that the newer Oppo firmware will eliminate ISO file playback - in case you've been using that.
rlb and ChromeJob like this.
post #615 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,
Shashi
Try putting some of the FLAC files on a USB drive and plug into the USB port. Do they play then?

If you have any other HDMI devices, do they play audio normally?

post #616 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6308 Post(s)
Liked: 6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
eARC via firmware update confirmed for 2018 Yamaha AVRs. You can check it on the Yamaha website.
That is a nice add on
post #617 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Shashi
IMHO - try resole problem completely - just change 93 to 203.
post #618 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
My Amazon 4K Firestick works fine plugged directly into my Sony A9F TV, BUT not at all plugged into my Yamaha 3080 receiver. I've tried 3 different inputs on the 3080, 2 different firesticks. The first firestick worked for 3 weeks then stopped. Makes me think I hit a setting on the 3080 somehow, but haven;t a clue what. Anyone know what's going on here? Thank you.
post #619 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Thanks rdgrimes and Chromejob for your fast reply.
I've Nvidia Sheild TV with HDMI and it works fine with Yamaha 3080 video and audio plays. When playing with Oppo BDP 93 the any audio files plays but there is no Audio (sound).
post #620 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a 1080 that’s been working fine since it got it. Setup has been the same. Wired Mains center and Sub. MusicCast 20s as wireless Surrounds as my rears. Have had 0 problems. Then today rears suddenly have no sound.

I’ve turned everything on an off, unplugged everything, unlinked and relinked rears, tested playing directly to the rears through both air play and Spotify connect as solo speakers and as musiccast stereo link works perfect. Relinked everything, system says they’re linked, network is fine, when I hit power on one of them they turn off the receiver so the link is clearly there. But can’t get any sound out of them, not on any input, through any preset, not even a straight test tone.

Not sure where to troubleshoot next. Any help would be great. Thanks! - TM
post #621 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've Nvidia Sheild TV with HDMI and it works fine with Yamaha 3080 video and audio plays. When playing with Oppo BDP 93 the any audio files plays but there is no Audio (sound).
I think @rdgrimes has a clue here, the Oppo 93 is a 2012-ish model and may have compatibility issues. Click the link for help.

This page might provide some help, too. Make sure that HDMI Audio is not set to OFF. Based that page's info, I'd try Auto, then switch to Bitstream if that doesn't work.

As I suggested, find some digital media files that don't play from the Oppo (according to the manual, you can play from a USB or e-SATA drive), then try them via the AVR's USB drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
eARC via firmware update confirmed for 2018 Yamaha AVRs. You can check it on the Yamaha website.
Link please?

post #622 of 1079 Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Link please?
SII9437 installed.
post #623 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Link please?
Here, at "Video features", as I see all of RX-A/RX-V series got this info (so will get).
ChromeJob likes this.

Dolby Atmos 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE

Last edited by Renatto; 03-02-2019 at 02:04 AM.
post #624 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I think @rdgrimes has a clue here, the Oppo 93 is a 2012-ish model and may have compatibility issues. Click the link for help.

This page might provide some help, too. Make sure that HDMI Audio is not set to OFF. Based that page's info, I'd try Auto, then switch to Bitstream if that doesn't work.

As I suggested, find some digital media files that don't play from the Oppo (according to the manual, you can play from a USB or e-SATA drive), then try them via the AVR's USB drive.

Link please?
Hi,
Today recieved a mail from Oppo Technical Support team and they provided a firmware upgrade for my Oppo BDP 93. I'l install it and revert back.
Thank you all .
post #625 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Your problem is HDCP. Please read the last few pages in the BDP-93 thread, this has been discussed at length.
rlb likes this.
post #626 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your problem is HDCP. Please read the last few pages in the BDP-93 thread, this has been discussed at length.
Updated the firmware sent by Oppo Support. Now the audio and video both are playing. Thank you all for your valuable guidance.
Shashi
rlb likes this.
post #627 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for help enabling the pre-outs on an A1080. Trying to set up an external PA. The OM pg 31, "Connecting an external power amplifier", shows the setup but not the configuration settings to get there. My Polk front towers are 4 ohm, and an older Nikko PA drove them great for many years. My new A1080 has already gone into protect mode once and I'd like to prevent it.

External porch (Zone 2) speakers are also 4 ohm. The A1080 doesn't seem to like less than 6 ohm, despite what their web specs say.

The setup app displays an "external PA: disabled" mode but no info or option to enable it.
post #628 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGFL View Post
Looking for help enabling the pre-outs on an A1080. Trying to set up an external PA. The OM pg 31, "Connecting an external power amplifier", shows the setup but not the configuration settings to get there. My Polk front towers are 4 ohm, and an older Nikko PA drove them great for many years. My new A1080 has already gone into protect mode once and I'd like to prevent it.

External porch (Zone 2) speakers are also 4 ohm. The A1080 doesn't seem to like less than 6 ohm, despite what their web specs say.

The setup app displays an "external PA: disabled" mode but no info or option to enable it.
The preamp outputs are always active in the main zone. Just connect the RCA to your amp and cables to your speakers. Nothing more is needed.

For zone2 you may need to change an option in the speaker configuration.

The setting to change the speaker impedance is only there to limit current output so the receiver doesn't go into protect mode. Lower it if this happens (as in your case). Otherwise leave it at the higher of the two options (which I believe is 8 Ohm). This only applies to speakers connected directly to the receiver. If you are using an external power amplifier this setting does not apply.
post #629 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 01:31 PM

^^^ Doesn't Zone 2 have its own dedicated analog output? No configuration required, but you do have to turn on the power to Zone 2 with the remote.
post #630 of 1079 Old 03-02-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGFL View Post
... My Polk front towers are 4 ohm, and an older Nikko PA drove them great for many years. My new A1080 has already gone into protect mode once and I'd like to prevent it.

If your AVR has gone into protect mode, that's one big whopping giant-size clue that you may be overdriving the amp with those 4 ohm speakers. Are they technically rated that way? Did they come from an HTiB?

I would enable the 6 ohm mode in Advanced Setup if using any of those speakers further (OM p. 23, p. 138). Note in most Yamaha AVRs this only protects against left and right speakers, and other speakers must be 8 ohm, but the 1080 OM doesn't specify this that I can see. If you're driving your AVR near reference volume, strongly recommend 8 ohm speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth headphones , yamaha 1080

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page