The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 390Likes

post #751 of 1381 Old 03-18-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
I read - here - before, someone uses different speaker layout/pattern for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X and change it depending on the source. But how? I mean, I think you don't change the speakers from Height 1-2 to Overhead 1-2 (not in settings, but real). So what do you do?
You can go into manual setup>layout>speaker configuration to set up two different patterns
(no need to re-run YPAO, just copy Pattern 1 > Pattern 2 and re-configure Front and Rear Overhead (for ATMOS) to Front and Rear Height (for DTS:X).

I took it one step further and setup a Scene for each format that loads the specified Speaker Pattern
Here's the setup for my old RX-A3050, shortly after DTS:X was first released (April 2015)

Pattern 1 with presence speakers configured as Overhead for ATMOS
Pattern 2 with presence speakers configured as Height for DTS:X

Screen shot of the Yamaha AV controller app on my tablet:

The speaker locations don't physically change, just the configuration in the Yamaha.

If you don't do it that way, (and leave presence speakers as Overhead)
DTS:X speaker call-outs for Height channels bleed into the bed layer speakers below.

The first disc released with DTS:X speaker call outs that revealed the flaw was The Last Witch Hunter

Shortly after many of us started taking advantage of Yamaha's two speaker patterns.
Dolby spec'd Height speakers as 30º and Overhead speakers as 45º
DTS spec'd Height speakers as 45º and Overhead as 60º

Since 45º fore/aft of the listeners ears was the only common location shared by both ATMOS/DTS:X
it was determined that was the ideal location for your presence speakers, then just configure them Height for DTS:X and Overhead for ATMOS in the AVR

richlife and ChromeJob like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-18-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1381 Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
You can go into manual setup>layout>speaker configuration to set up two different patterns
(no need to re-run YPAO, just copy Pattern 1 > Pattern 2 and re-configure overhead (for ATMOS) to height (for DTS:X).
Thank you very much! It's more than great!

Unfortunately my height/overhead speakers are on the sidewalls ceiling contact point, around 2.7 meters height (3.8 meters wide room). I tried them before, to calibrate for height speakers, but in that case the DTS:X wasn't good, Atmos was still good. If I use them as overhead both Atmos and DTS:X was fine. So I did not change the patterns, used all formats for Atmos overhead (Denon/Marantz). But now I have Yamaha for a while and a few days ago I started thinking about someone used Yamaha for different speaker patterns for Atmos and forDTS:X source, that's why I asked.

Now I understand the reason, why you use it, so maybe I give it a last try, make pattern2 with Height for DTS:X and we'll see. The worst case I won't use it.

Thanks again!

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE

Last edited by Renatto; 03-18-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #753 of 1381 Old 03-19-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may not be the place to ask this but is there any info out on the upcoming lineup of AVENTAGE receivers? I thought I saw a few pages back that someone said Yamaha will be keeping the current models for another year but that would be surprising for how fast the industry moves these days.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1381 Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision View Post
This may not be the place to ask this but is there any info out on the upcoming lineup of AVENTAGE receivers? I thought I saw a few pages back that someone said Yamaha will be keeping the current models for another year but that would be surprising for how fast the industry moves these days.

Thanks!

The poster of that info probably has more reliable contacts than anyone else on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #755 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
yes I am new to this forum.
I have a RXV1085 (Australia) (posting here as the RXV top two models have the same internal gadgets as the Adventage models
I have searched around these forums and found lots of interesting bits and pieces that I am grateful for.

Since upgrading from previous Yamaha AV I have a few issues. One being ARC wanting to put to Audio 1 each time I turn on my Blue-ray player - I think I found the answer to this and have switched off CEC and perhaps I also need to just give up on ARC and use an Optical connection from the TV.

I have a cable box and blue ray all connected to the AVR

I am experiencing volume spikes and I dont know if it is the remote, or ? Happens when using the blue ray player. (mixed up in this effort to get to AV1) Sudden jumps in volume and then shuts down speakers and at time scrambles what is coming out of different speakers. Another example was I played a DVD and the volume level was so high that it sent a 'shock'through the system. So it looks like I have to adjust the volume right down low before starting it up in case this is something regular. Now that I have turned off CEC for the blue ray player, perhaps the problem is gone.
Is the speaker shutdown a safety thing?. Is ARC and CEC linked together? If I just use a Optical cable from the TV to the AV, will I still get reasonable sound with the AI taking care of things?. any pointers would be appreciated.
post #756 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal7of9 View Post
I am thinking purchasing a Yamaha RX-A3070 or RX-A3080 and saw some the changes made within the 3080. I was wondering if the 3080 was Superior when it comes to YPAO. I've heard in the past that YPAO doesn't correct for frequencies lower than 31 Hertz. Has that changed? Is the room correcting EQ superior in the 3080 vs 3070? Does anyone feel the 3080 is worth $350 more then the 3070. Thanks.
I don’t think the 3070 has surround A/I like the 3080 does- for me that would be worth 350
post #757 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6667
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision View Post

Thanks!
If they are coming out this year it will be early July, that is a ways from now........ Yamaha has put there new models out in early July for years....
billmich likes this.
post #758 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hayes View Post
yes I am new to this forum.
I have a RXV1085 (Australia) (posting here as the RXV top two models have the same internal gadgets as the Adventage models
I have searched around these forums and found lots of interesting bits and pieces that I am grateful for.

Since upgrading from previous Yamaha AV I have a few issues. One being ARC wanting to put to Audio 1 each time I turn on my Blue-ray player - I think I found the answer to this and have switched off CEC and perhaps I also need to just give up on ARC and use an Optical connection from the TV.

I have a cable box and blue ray all connected to the AVR

I am experiencing volume spikes and I dont know if it is the remote, or ? Happens when using the [blu] ray player. (mixed up in this effort to get to AV1) Sudden jumps in volume and then shuts down speakers and at time scrambles what is coming out of different speakers. Another example was I played a DVD and the volume level was so high that it sent a 'shock'through the system. So it looks like I have to adjust the volume right down low before starting it up in case this is something regular. Now that I have turned off CEC for the blue ray player, perhaps the problem is gone.
Is the speaker shutdown a safety thing?. Is ARC and CEC linked together? If I just use a Optical cable from the TV to the AV, will I still get reasonable sound with the AI taking care of things?. any pointers would be appreciated.
1. The RX-V and RX-A models have some similarities (some even share the same cabinet, front panel, and power specs), but I'm skeptical that they share the "same internal gadgets" (UNLESS you meant features, not components). There may be some differences aside from warranty coverage and the notorious fifth foot, e.g. the AM/FM or FM-only tuner in the RX-A2080 and RX-V2085.

2. ARC and CEC are often coupled in some manufacturer's devices. Most likely, your TV's HDMI-CEC is telling the AVR to switch to the HDMI-ARC input after turning on, though you've told the AVR to switch to another component. I have the same problem with turning on an Apple TV and a Samsung TV -- the Samsung turns on more slowly, so 9 out of 10 times switches the AVR to the ARC input. Even using the Yamaha SCENE button isn't enough (though that's my recommended way to initiate power on with all components). I would guess it's NOT your BD player's fault.

3. Volume spikes are worrisome. I would use the AVR setup to set initial volume at a lower level than you may desire. I have mine power on at -40 db though I will play music or movies from -30 dB to -20 dB. That way I can turn it on and play music at a quiet level without touching the volume (actually, using a Chromecast or Apple TV, I don't have to even be in the same room as the AVR, I just connect and play).

How is the BD player connected to the AVR, via HDMI? A particular DVD shouldn't be "louder" unless it was very badly mixed. What WAS the DVD you were playing?

Check all your cabling. Are your speaker cables properly terminated with no stray wires exposed? Are you using banana plugs, or bare wire? Are the HDMI cables in good shape, none of them kinked, bent or worn? Are connectors in good shape?

4. ARC and S/PDIF (optical cable from the TV) have roughly the same limitations: compressed 5.1 sound, or uncompressed PCM 2.0 (as Piomaniac reminded me, ARC can send DD+ which can include 5.1.x). If you can run S/PDIF optical to your AVR from the TV and disable the TV's CEC feature, that may eliminate the TV's tendency to mandate the AVR switch to the ARC input, but will also remove the ability to turn the TV on and off from AVR activity. Older Yamaha remotes had a separate "TV Power" button, check if yours does.

Seems like Yamaha announces new product news in March, April timeframe ( @jdsmoothie , @Scott Wilkinson correct me if I'm wrong), if not during CES (January), so based on earlier reports that Yamaha will wait until 2020 for new models featuring HDMI 2.1 features, I wouldn't hold my breath on new model unveiling. We could get a surprise, though.
Alan P and Peter Hayes like this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-20-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #759 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

4. ARC and S/PDIF (optical cable from the TV) have roughly the same limitations: compressed 5.1 sound, or uncompressed PCM 2.0.
The biggest difference that concerns some people with a smart TV is ARC (via HDMI) is capable of sending DD+ for ATMOS Audio decoding in the AVR.
Streaming services provided through the TV's built-in apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are quite good at sending ATMOS via DD+.

You give up ATMOS capability by going to S/PDIF that's limited to DD 5.1 (no"+")
scotthal, ChromeJob and Zoland2020 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #760 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
1. The RX-V and RX-A models have some similarities (some even share the same cabinet, front panel, and power specs), but I'm skeptical that they share the "same internal gadgets" (UNLESS you meant features, not components). There may be some differences aside from warranty coverage and the notorious fifth foot, e.g. the AM/FM or FM-only tuner in the RX-A2080 and RX-V2085. .

US specs on the RX-V2085 are incorrect. It does have an AM/FM tuner, & ships with a standard AM loop antenna.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #761 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah, good to know. Neither usa.yamaha.com or au.yamaha.com offer a manual for the 2085. The AU 2085 page offers a 1085 manual in error. Kinda cheesy support for a $1500 MSRP AVR.

Edit: see below. Online and PDF manual's discovered; excellent work, Dr. Livingstone.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-22-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: see below
post #762 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Ah, good to know. Neither usa.yamaha.com or au.yamaha.com offer a manual for the 2085. The AU 2085 page offers a 1085 manual in error. Kinda cheesy support for a $1500 MSRP AVR.
Grasshopper, u lack diligence - au.yamaha.com hosts a PDF 3085_2085 manual, but it's only indexed on the 3085: https://au.yamaha.com/files/download...om_A_En_B0.pdf
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by scotthal; 03-21-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #763 of 1381 Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
1. The RX-V and RX-A models have some similarities (some even share the same cabinet, front panel, and power specs), but I'm skeptical that they share the "same internal gadgets" (UNLESS you meant features, not components). There may be some differences aside from warranty coverage and the notorious fifth foot, e.g. the AM/FM or FM-only tuner in the RX-A2080 and RX-V2085.

2. ARC and CEC are often coupled in some manufacturer's devices. Most likely, your TV's HDMI-CEC is telling the AVR to switch to the HDMI-ARC input after turning on, though you've told the AVR to switch to another component. I have the same problem with turning on an Apple TV and a Samsung TV -- the Samsung turns on more slowly, so 9 out of 10 times switches the AVR to the ARC input. Even using the Yamaha SCENE button isn't enough (though that's my recommended way to initiate power on with all components). I would guess it's NOT your BD player's fault.

3. Volume spikes are worrisome. I would use the AVR setup to set initial volume at a lower level than you may desire. I have mine power on at -40 db though I will play music or movies from -30 dB to -20 dB. That way I can turn it on and play music at a quiet level without touching the volume (actually, using a Chromecast or Apple TV, I don't have to even be in the same room as the AVR, I just connect and play).

How is the BD player connected to the AVR, via HDMI? A particular DVD shouldn't be "louder" unless it was very badly mixed. What WAS the DVD you were playing?

Check all your cabling. Are your speaker cables properly terminated with no stray wires exposed? Are you using banana plugs, or bare wire? Are the HDMI cables in good shape, none of them kinked, bent or worn? Are connectors in good shape?

4. ARC and S/PDIF (optical cable from the TV) have roughly the same limitations: compressed 5.1 sound, or uncompressed PCM 2.0 (as Piomaniac reminded me, ARC can send DD+ which can include 5.1.x). If you can run S/PDIF optical to your AVR from the TV and disable the TV's CEC feature, that may eliminate the TV's tendency to mandate the AVR switch to the ARC input, but will also remove the ability to turn the TV on and off from AVR activity. Older Yamaha remotes had a separate "TV Power" button, check if yours does.

Seems like Yamaha announces new product news in March, April timeframe ( @jdsmoothie , @Scott Wilkinson correct me if I'm wrong), if not during CES (January), so based on earlier reports that Yamaha will wait until 2020 for new models featuring HDMI 2.1 features, I wouldn't hold my breath on new model unveiling. We could get a surprise, though.
Thank you for the reply @ChromeJob ( I have already done up a details reply, but seems to have vanished)Re the points you gave
1. yes I meant features, although the ESS 384 kHz / 32-bit SABRE Premier DAC ES9007S were a selling point along with AI DSP.
In Aus we havea DAB turner in lieu of a AM tuner also

2. My Sony TV turns on slowly also, you have a good point with the switching process
3. I have contacted the supplier today for the 2nd time after having it in for warranty repair - although the service centre said noting was wrong. So possible replacement on the way. The unit is only 5 months old.
Cabling is OK, recently re did, checked again, nothing changed. No banana plugs, they have not included them on Aust models. HDMI all new, to go with 4k tv and the Yamaha, unless of course the cables are no good, but all works well when the receiver is operating correctly

4. Just about had it with ARC & CEC think that when I re-connect things, I will play apps through the Blueray-HDM-receive-HDMi-TV. (might have to upgrade to a 4k player). Although if the receiver continues to turn out to be faulty, all may be OK with the replacement.

thanks for the reply.
post #764 of 1381 Old 03-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12290
Quote:
Yamaha is not replacing the models in this thread this year, rather they will continue for 2019 and be replaced in 2020, most likely with HDMI 2.1 at that time.
post #765 of 1381 Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Grasshopper, u lack diligence ...
Or just lack of time. Turns out though the 2085 page lists the 1085 manual as a download, the Manual Library does find it.[1] Maybe they need to tie their kangaroo down and code their product pages more diligently.

[1] https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/co..._visual&k=2085

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #766 of 1381 Old 03-22-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I know that some of you are running your 3080 as a pre-pro using an external power amp. Have you compared this directly with The amplifier section within the 3080? Using the same speakers in the same room?In other words do you find a definite improvement in the refinement of sound with an external amp? I honestly love this receiver so much I’m thinking about making some more changes to my home theater
post #767 of 1381 Old 03-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Flat EQ setting is "Through" not "YPAO Flat", I love my 3080 again!
I've had my 3080 for several months now. I continue to play with various settings and features learning my way through the very complicated options. Maybe too many options for this old timer.
Anyway, after the initial honeymoon period, the 3080 started sounding flat and dull. I reran YPAO and it did not improve. My frustration and disappointment grew. I finally had a slow day, so I reread the manual (Doh) and discovered that the Parametric EQ setting of "YPAO Flat" is not Flat. Looking more closely, the tiny EQ curves shown are actual EQ curves not icons as I had erroneously thought. "Through" is the flat setting. So I was confused and in error.
I changed the EQ setting to "Through" and I am back in love with my 3080, the deep rich base is back and the annoying volume drop around 2400 hz is gone.
I have pretty nice speakers, Revel F52s and Monitor Audio Golds so I have always run a flat EQ with my old Denon and new Yamaha. Both Audyssey XT32 and YPAO do a great job normalizing speaker volumes and setting speaker distances to correct time delays. But for me, the room EQ corrections never seem improvements and generally detract, at least for moderate volume levels.

I believe there were a couple of posts in the last few months where folks were disappointed in the Yamaha x080 sound performance. I am submitting this post in case anyone else misunderstood the Parametric EQ setting names and were using a bad room EQ when intending to be flat.

On a separate topic,I have found that the "AirPlay" and Radio allow separate video selections for listening to music while watching TV. I could not figure out a way to watch TV while using "Audio 1-4" inputs with a digital source.

I very much appreciate the posters and knowledge base of the board.
Cheers, Cy
Alan P likes this.

Last edited by cyesp; 03-24-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #768 of 1381 Old 03-24-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
When should we expect to hear about the 2019 models? I might be eyeing a RX A2090.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #769 of 1381 Old 03-24-2019, 03:17 PM

hevetica, if you check the most recent 4 pages you will see some discussion on your question.
Short answer is may not update until 2020 when hdmi2 arrives. If there is an update will be in July.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
When should we expect to hear about the 2019 models? I might be eyeing a RX A2090.

helvetica bold and ChromeJob like this.
post #770 of 1381 Old 03-24-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
I know that some of you are running your 3080 as a pre-pro using an external power amp. Have you compared this directly with The amplifier section within the 3080? Using the same speakers in the same room?In other words do you find a definite improvement in the refinement of sound with an external amp? I honestly love this receiver so much I’m thinking about making some more changes to my home theater
Dr Steve, I am running a separate amp for my front speakers and using the 3080 for my center and surrounds. I have not compared to running through the Yamaha alone. For me, tThe reason to use a separate amp would have more to do with the number of speakers driven and their sensitivity. I believe the difference in sound between good amplifiers at moderate volumes with average sensitivity speakers is a minor,second order effect. Especially if you use the 80hz cut-off to your sub. (low frequencies gobble up power)

I, on rare occasions, crank up the stereo and want the extra volume headroom. Plus, for stereo audio I drive my full range speakers without a sub.

And if you are driving 7 speakers for movies, say Hacksaw Ridge, at high volumes, I could see the 3080 running out of gas.
JMO.
Cy
Torch60 likes this.
post #771 of 1381 Old 03-24-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyesp View Post
hevetica, if you check the most recent 4 pages you will see some discussion on your question.
Short answer is may not update until 2020 when hdmi2 arrives. If there is an update will be in July.

Ha, that’s what I was afraid of. I have a new LG C9 OLED on order and I’m looking for HDMI 2.1 receiver to go along with it.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #772 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12290
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Ha, that’s what I was afraid of. I have a new LG C9 OLED on order and I’m looking for HDMI 2.1 receiver to go along with it.

You'll have to wait until 2020 as the 2018 models are continuing through 2019, although moot point as the C9 is only a 4k model.
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 03-25-2019 at 01:43 AM.
post #773 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyesp View Post
Flat EQ setting is "Through" not "YPAO Flat", I love my 3080 again!
I've had my 3080 for several months now. I continue to play with various settings and features learning my way through the very complicated options. Maybe too many options for this old timer.
Anyway, after the initial honeymoon period, the 3080 started sounding flat and dull. I reran YPAO and it did not improve. My frustration and disappointment grew. I finally had a slow day, so I reread the manual (Doh) and discovered that the Parametric EQ setting of "YPAO Flat" is not Flat. Looking more closely, the tiny EQ curves shown are actual EQ curves not icons as I had erroneously thought. "Through" is the flat setting. So I was confused and in error.
I changed the EQ setting to "Through" and I am back in love with my 3080, the deep rich base is back and the annoying volume drop around 2400 hz is gone.
I have pretty nice speakers, Revel F52s and Monitor Audio Golds so I have always run a flat EQ with my old Denon and new Yamaha. Both Audyssey XT32 and YPAO do a great job normalizing speaker volumes and setting speaker distances to correct time delays. But for me, the room EQ corrections never seem improvements and generally detract, at least for moderate volume levels.

I believe there were a couple of posts in the last few months where folks were disappointed in the Yamaha x080 sound performance. I am submitting this post in case anyone else misunderstood the Parametric EQ setting names and were using a bad room EQ when intending to be flat.

On a separate topic,I have found that the "AirPlay" and Radio allow separate video selections for listening to music while watching TV. I could not figure out a way to watch TV while using "Audio 1-4" inputs with a digital source.

I very much appreciate the posters and knowledge base of the board.
Cheers, Cy

Flat is not Through, Through is just that, no EQ is applied via YPAO. Flat, Natural and Front incorporate YPAO correction/calibration to all channels except Front which attempts to timbre match the channels that you are using to your front speakers.

If you selected Through, then you are not using YPAO correction/calibration. You would need to document some measurements with the proper hardware and software to review and understand the results.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #774 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post
Flat is not Through, Through is just that, no EQ is applied via YPAO. Flat, Natural and Front incorporate YPAO correction/calibration to all channels except Front which attempts to timbre match the channels that you are using to your front speakers.

If you selected Through, then you are not using YPAO correction/calibration. You would need to document some measurements with the proper hardware and software to review and understand the results.
First I used Through, but after a while, I read that recommended use the EQ and the most used for Movie/Cinema is Natural, so I use this for months. Should I keep using it or through is maybe better?
I really don't know, I should believe the movie engineers made a great job, so use Through or believe that Yamaha's engineers make even more better (at least in my room) so use Natural/Flat?! I think I should use all the features my Yamaha has, but some of them are useless for me (YPAO Volume).

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #775 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post

Are you saying that running YPAO Flat does not affect the front L/R?

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080
post #776 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First I used Through, but after a while, I read that recommended use the EQ and the most used for Movie/Cinema is Natural, so I use this for months. Should I keep using it or through is maybe better?

I really don't know, I should believe the movie engineers made a great job, so use Through or believe that Yamaha's engineers make even more better (at least in my room) so use Natural/Flat?! I think I should use all the features my Yamaha has, but some of them are useless for me (YPAO Volume).
Use what sounds good to you. It may vary from one film to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
“Flat” should apply PEQ to all channels. “Front” applies PEQ to speakers other than Left and Right to make the others conform to the Left and Right speakers’ measured response in the room.
Matthew Pool likes this.

post #777 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
No, Flat is YPAO’s attempt at a flat frequency response through the audio range that your system is capable.

Front is YPAO’s attempt to eq and calibrate your center and surround speakers to “sound like” or timbre match to your front left and right channels meaning that it will not apply YPAO correction to your front left and right channels but it will to your remaining speakers that you have connected.

Natural is basically Flat YPAO eq with a roll off at the high frequencies

Through does not apply YPAO correction to any of your speakers that you have connected which is similar to what we did years ago before room correction which was to set distance/delay and calibrate the channel levels.
Matthew Pool likes this.
post #778 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You'll have to wait until 2020 as the 2018 models are continuing through 2019, although moot point as the C9 is only a 4k model.
HDMI 2.1 is needed to fully support what can be done with 4k (4k >30hz 10/12bit RGB for example).

An HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps chipset) AVR and the C9 would be a great match.
post #779 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You should use what sounds best to you and enjoy it, not everyone embraces room correction and there are still many people who do not use it. As posted in my post above, before room correction software, we would set distance/delay and then calibrate the channels levels with a Radio Shack meter and and enjoyed our systems.

You have 5 choices: Flat, Front, Natural, Through and Manual. Use the one that you enjoy the most.
post #780 of 1381 Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!

Thank you for agreeing with what I had said.

Quote:
Use what sounds good to you. It may vary from one film to another.

“Flat” should apply PEQ to all channels. “Front” applies PEQ to speakers other than Left and Right to make the others conform to the Left and Right speakers’ measured response in the room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth headphones , yamaha 1080

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page