The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 524Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 1839 Old 04-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
See here now its on Page 164
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3080.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	2548214

7.2.4 Atmos Setup with 82" Samsung QLED, Using Yamaha RX-A3080 11.2 Channel Receiver
JBL Studio 590 Fronts L/R Mains, JBL Studio 270 Rear Surround L/R , JBL Studio 520C Center, JBL Studio 550P Pair Subs L/R, JBL Studio 210 Side Wall L/R , JBL Pro Control 26C/T Ceiling Speakers for Atmos (4)
Behl Info is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 1839 Old 04-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Member
 
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behl Info View Post
See here now its on Page 164
Got it. FWIW, this is also available separately at the bottom of this page - https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...downloads.html

1) Vizio PQ65-F1 and 2) Visio D32F-F1
Yamaha RX-A3080 - Darbee Darblet DVP-5000
Roku - 4) Ultra, 1) nVidia Shield
SageTV v9 - HD300, Tablo QUAD, AirTV Pro, FireTV Cube
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun units (10 tuners)
RonBoyd is offline  
post #813 of 1839 Old 04-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought that I knew the answer to these questions, but now I’m unsure. I want to ensure that my Yamaha is receiving the highest quality signal possible with my current equipment.

I have a Synology DS214 play. All my music is stored on this NAS in FLAC format ripped from CD’s using DBpoweramp. I stream my music to my 3080 using the DS Audio app on my Android phone (or IPad mini) and a Chromecast.


1) Does the Synology DS Audio program transcode or is it simply passing the info through to the Yamaha for transcoding?


2) Does the CC transcode or is it also simply passing through the file to the Yamaha for transcoding?


3) The mobile app for DS Audio has a selection for transcoding. Is the transcoding only for playback directly on the mobile device?


4) How can I tell what format is being sent/received by the receiver?











Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chevybob20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #814 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,923
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3977 Post(s)
Liked: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevybob20 View Post
4) How can I tell what format is being sent/received by the receiver?
Most people find that the Info screen in the OSD tells them what they want to know about the audio input.

There isn't really any "transcoding" to do with FLAC, its just being unpacked and restored to PCM. Doesn't really matter where that is done as long as its not being done badly. Pretty sure you're using a DNLA server rather than file sharing, so its probably the Synology doing the unpacking.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #815 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
fonz5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Any way to get rid of my 2070 to get the 2080??? The xx70 models were supposed to get an eARC updated and now they are not. I'm super pissed about this.
fonz5000 is offline  
post #816 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Renatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hungary - EU
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Today the ARC stopped working here, so no sound via the receiver. The TV doesn't turn on the receiver, but if I turn the tv off, still turn off the receiver. The receiver's display shows "Decoder off", so seems doesn't get audio signal. The tv speakers are good and the receiver too (has sound). When I change to TV signal still change the receiver to TV Audio, but no sound. If I return to HDMI, the tv put the sound to Xbox on the receiver and has sound for it. Turned everything off, unplugged, but nothing. Previously I could turn up/down the receiver volume with the TV remote, but now I get a "crossed-out circle" on the tv. What should I do? How can I check the ARC line, so figure out which end has problem? Both have guarantee fortunately.

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - SVS SB12-NSD - LG OLED65C9 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE

Last edited by Renatto; 04-05-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Renatto is offline  
post #817 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,081
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevybob20 View Post
I thought that I knew the answer to these questions, but now I’m unsure. I want to ensure that my Yamaha is receiving the highest quality signal possible with my current equipment.
I have a Synology DS214 play. All my music is stored on this NAS in FLAC format ripped from CD’s using DBpoweramp. I stream my music to my 3080 using the DS Audio app on my Android phone (or IPad mini) and a Chromecast.

1) Does the Synology DS Audio program transcode or is it simply passing the info through to the Yamaha for transcoding?
2) Does the CC transcode or is it also simply passing through the file to the Yamaha for transcoding?
3) The mobile app for DS Audio has a selection for transcoding. Is the transcoding only for playback directly on the mobile device?
4) How can I tell what format is being sent/received by the receiver?
Depending upon your AVR model, OPTION, On Screen Info (3080/2080 manual, p. 118) or SETUP, Sound, Information (p. 136) for more detailed information.

As to which of those apps is decoding, you should read the Help information for those. The AVR will simply tell you what it is receiving from the Chromecast or other device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
Any way to get rid of my 2070 to get the 2080??? The xx70 models were supposed to get an eARC updated and now they are not. I'm super pissed about this.
NSFW


Or you could send it to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
Today the ARC stopped working here, so no sound via the receiver. The TV doesn't turn on the receiver, but if I turn the tv off, still turn off the receiver. The receiver's display shows "Decoder off", so seems doesn't get audio signal. The tv speakers are good and the receiver too (has sound). When I change to TV signal still change the receiver to TV Audio, but no sound. If I return to HDMI, the tv put the sound to Xbox on the receiver and has sound for it. Turned everything off, unplugged, but nothing. Previously I could turn up/down the receiver volume with the TV remote, but now I get a "crossed-out circle" on the tv. What should I do? How can I check the ARC line, so figure out which end has problem? Both have guarantee fortunately.
All your symptoms point to HDMI-CEC (aka "HDMI control) being disabled on one or both devices. Check that it's on. -OR- "Crossed out circle" suggests that maybe MUTE is enabled on the TV...?

I don't know what "If I return to HDMI, the tv put the sound to Xbox on the receiver and has sound for it" means. If you're using translation software (Google, other), it's not ideal. Sorry, I empathize if there's a language barrier.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #818 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Most people find that the Info screen in the OSD tells them what they want to know about the audio input.

There isn't really any "transcoding" to do with FLAC, its just being unpacked and restored to PCM. Doesn't really matter where that is done as long as its not being done badly. Pretty sure you're using a DNLA server rather than file sharing, so its probably the Synology doing the unpacking.


It should be DLNA.

I can see the bit rate on the onscreen. I believe it is being streamed as FLAC. (I’m at work or I would state the indicated rate. I believe it was 96 khz 24 bit). I also believe that if I use my ATV the indication is only PCM on the onscreen. No hz or bit rate indication.

What I believe it’s doing is sending directly from the NAS to the Chromecast to the receiver. The mobile app/phone is only directing the traffic. I just wanted to be sure.

When streaming from the NAS to the phone (mobile listening), the NAS/DS Audio program is transcoding FLAC to MP3 on the fly.

I do appreciate the responses. I work 12 shifts and it is sometimes difficult to allot time to play.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chevybob20; 04-05-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Chevybob20 is offline  
post #819 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Renatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hungary - EU
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post


All your symptoms point to HDMI-CEC (aka "HDMI control) being disabled on one or both devices. Check that it's on. -OR- "Crossed out circle" suggests that maybe MUTE is enabled on the TV...?

I don't know what "If I return to HDMI, the tv put the sound to Xbox on the receiver and has sound for it" means. If you're using translation software (Google, other), it's not ideal. Sorry, I empathize if there's a language barrier.

Sorry I'm tired. CEC is enabled on both and worked well until now. If I switch back (on the TV) to HDMI from TV signal , then the receiver change the source back from TV Audio To HDMI (xbox) and the sound is good, which - I think - means the HDMI-CEC connection is ok. Now I played with Xbox, and when the receiver turned off there was no sound on the TV, so the pass through not working or something wrong with the TV HDMI.

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - SVS SB12-NSD - LG OLED65C9 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE

Last edited by Renatto; 04-05-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Renatto is offline  
post #820 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I found the answer.

The Audio Station server app on the Synology NAS is the device in the DLNA/UPNP device string that does the transcoding if any occurs. It will transcode if the targeted device/player does not support the native file OR if Audio Station is set to always transcode a format.

So, in my case, all devices in the stream support FLAC files so, FLAC files are streamed unmolested.

But, in the case of my iPad being the player, the NAS transcodes FLAC to the selected format of either wav or mp3. This selection is accomplished via the DS Audio mobile app.

I hope this helps others out. I find it frustrating to not understand what is actually happening in each device in the stream.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/d...tware_spec/dsm


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chevybob20 is offline  
post #821 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,081
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
Sorry I'm tired. CEC is enabled on both and worked well until now. If I switch back (on the TV) to HDMI from TV signal , then the receiver change the source back from TV Audio To HDMI (xbox) and the sound is good, which - I think - means the HDMI-CEC connection is ok. Now I played with Xbox, and when the receiver turned off there was no sound on the TV, so the pass through not working or something wrong with the TV HDMI.
Still confusing, maybe it's my fatigue level. Okay, can you explain or illustrate how things are connected? Or using ASCII ART.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-05-2019 at 11:13 PM.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #822 of 1839 Old 04-05-2019, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
jch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
RX-A3080 Removed Support for 6.1 (i.e. single center SB speaker)?

I have two RX-A3010s and an RX-A3040, all of which support a single surround back channel. I have three home theater setups in my home that all use a single in-ceiling center mounted surround back speaker. So, technically I have a 6.2.2 system with front presence speakers and a single surround back. On page 18 of the RX-A3040 manual it says "When using only one surround back speaker, place it straight behind the listening position (middle of "SBL" and "SBR" in the diagram). On these models you can set the surround back to None, Small x1, Large x1, Small x2, Large x2. However, none of these models support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, so I am stuck looking at upgrading.

When I look at the RX-A3080 manual, on page 15 it is missing the indicator light for "SB", and on page 28, it says "When using surround back speakers, be sure to connect the surround back left and right speakers. Using only one surround back speaker was discontinued." It looks like these units no longer support 6.1.x. Any idea what it was discontinued, a Dolby thing maybe?

It looks like I have a few options:
(1) Buy an RX-A3080 and buy one new matching speaker for each setup, cut new holes, run new wires, and patch the old ones, and upgrade them all to 7.2.2 systems. This is a real pain. Existing systems were pre-wired before sheetrock went up. Running new wires now will be very challenging. On the bright side, I do know a master sheetrock guy that can patch my knockdown ceilings and make any ceiling holes disappear without having to redo the entire ceiling.
(2) Buy an RX-A3080 and add new speakers for surround left/right (my existing surround left/right speakers might be too far back anyway, greater than 30 degrees angle), use my existing surround left/right as surround back L/R, and use the center rear speaker as a rear presence speaker by using the 11.2 mode with an external amp for rear presence with a mono amp that takes left and right pre-amp inputs and merges them.
(3) Buy an RX-A3070 which still supports a single surround back. Plus, I still get my fully featured web interface and front panel HDMI jack, both of which I find useful. I don't need Surround AI (read on this thread it's not useful), Wireless Multi-Cast (I used wires), Zone 2 HDMI output (I use zones but only for audio with an external amp), Bluetooth 4.2 (don't use it), 5.8Ghz Wifi (I use wired gigabit).

Quick questions:
(1) Can anyone with a unit confirm that the Surround Back Small x1 and Large x1 options are truly gone from the RX-A3080? Check the on-screen and the web control center with "/Setup" appended to see if Small x1 is an option for Surround Back? See my attached screenshot of the /Setup web page on my RX-A3040 and the options it has for surround back.
(2) What will I miss by going with the RX-A3070 instead the RX-A3080? Are there any features that I would really miss by not going with the RX-A3080?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

-J.C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha RX-A3040 Surround Back.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	2549558  

Last edited by jch2; 04-05-2019 at 11:35 PM.
jch2 is offline  
post #823 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Renatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hungary - EU
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Still confusing, maybe it's my fatigue level. Okay, can you explain or illustrate how things are connected? Or using ASCII ART.

Yes, and sorry, it's not my mother tongue.
Xbox goes to the receiver HDMI IN 3. The receiver - HDMI OUT 1 ARC - connected to the TV - HDMI 2 ARC.
I use Over-The-Air TV signal, so use the built-in digital tuner for watching TV. For the rest I use the TV's HDMI 2 port.
If I turn on the TV it should turn on the receiver (not working now) and when turn off should turn off the receiver (still working).
If I change the source back and forth on TV - HDMI <> Tuner - the receiver recognize so switch to HDMI (Xbox) or TV audio. But no sound on TV Audio. I tried the built-in media player, but no sound.
The Himedia & Xbox works well (home theater speakers).
BUT, when I turn off the Yamaha while use the XBOX or Himedia, the sound went through and the TV speakers worked. Now It's not. I have to change to TV Speakers and I have sound again.
The problem is between the receiver and the TV in the ARC line, because the rest still working, but I don't know which end, so the TV or the Receiver has the problem.

Finally got it. Figured it out, if the Xbox plugged in (but still off) I have the problem, but If I disconnect the Xbox HDMI or unplug the XBOX, everything is fine. Maybe an update the reason, but sill so strange...

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - SVS SB12-NSD - LG OLED65C9 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE

Last edited by Renatto; 04-06-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Renatto is offline  
post #824 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Member
 
FTracy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
3080 w 4ohm speakers?

Anybody have any thoughts on whether the Yamaha RX A-3080 will work ok with a surround set up in which the fronts are 4 ohm and the center is nominal 6/minimum 4 ohm? They currently work ok with my outdated Pioneer SC-65 (130X9) system although it will (rarely) shut down if I crank a movie up really loud. I'm tempted to buy the 3080 but don't want sufficient power issues (I realize it's a more powerful amp but still want to make sure).
FTracy3 is offline  
post #825 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,030
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 907
I currently drive 4 ohm speakers for my front L/C/R with the rest 8ohm nominal. My stuff is all a little high(er) efficiency though (~95db).

The 3080 can drive 4 ohm speakers, but how well will depend on what you are demanding of it.

It really depends on the speakers, your listening distance, and your desired SPL level.
ChromeJob likes this.
dwaleke is online now  
post #826 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
Quick questions:
(1) Can anyone with a unit confirm that the Surround Back Small x1 and Large x1 options are truly gone from the RX-A3080? Check the on-screen and the web control center with "/Setup" appended to see if Small x1 is an option for Surround Back? See my attached screenshot of the /Setup web page on my RX-A3040 and the options it has for surround back.


Thank you in advance for your feedback.

-J.C.

I can confirm that the Surround Back Small x 1 / Large x 1 option is truly gone.
It is not a recommended speaker configuration on the 80 series Aventage AVR's as it would not work for Dolby Surround - ie there will be no signal sent for a single surround back speaker.
It's not in the manual / website - it's gone.
ChromeJob likes this.
dunnersfella is offline  
post #827 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,081
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile7 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my system and was looking to get the speakers below. The question is will the Yamaha A1080 be able to handle the Martin Logan's rated at 4-5 ohms and a recommended power output of 20-200 watts while my rear's and atmos are 8ohms? I'm willing to go up to the A2080's as well. I'm a big fan of Yamaha receivers.

Center: Martin Logan SLM XL (4 Ohms. Compatible with 4, 6 or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers)
Front L/R: Martin Logan Motion 15 (5 Ohms. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers)
Rear L/R: SR9040 Bipolar (8 Ohms)
Atmos: Definitive Technology DT Series DT6.5R (8 Ohms)

Worst case I'm willing to opt for the B+W 707 S2 but I loved the sound of the Martin Logan Motion 15's in comparison.

Thanks in advance.
I have lower ohm speakers, I just set the maximum volume to be less than reference volume i.e. limiting master volume to no higher than -15 dB, so as to not overdrive speakers or overheat the amplifiers. I was convinced by others' compelling arguments not to use Yamaha's "low impedance" protection option as it just reduced internal voltages, thus handicapping the AVR.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #828 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
jch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
Quick questions:
(1) Can anyone with a unit confirm that the Surround Back Small x1 and Large x1 options are truly gone from the RX-A3080? Check the on-screen and the web control center with "/Setup" appended to see if Small x1 is an option for Surround Back? See my attached screenshot of the /Setup web page on my RX-A3040 and the options it has for surround back.


Thank you in advance for your feedback.

-J.C.

I can confirm that the Surround Back Small x 1 / Large x 1 option is truly gone.
It is not a recommended speaker configuration on the 80 series Aventage AVR's as it would not work for Dolby Surround - ie there will be no signal sent for a single surround back speaker.
It's not in the manual / website - it's gone.
There's so little information ever sent to the Surround Back speakers and it's easy to virtually create the SBL and SBR with SL+SB and SR+SB (what the models prior to the RX-A3080 do) that the difference between having two vs one SB speaker is pretty negligible. But the cost of changing from 6.2.2 to 7.2.2 (or 5.2.4) is pretty high. I wonder why it was eliminated?

Thanks for the confirmation.

Main: Marantz AV8805, 5x Behringer NX4-6000, Epson 6050UB, Stewart Greyhawk 120", LG C8 65", DISH H3, Panasonic UB820, ATV4k, FTV4k, 7.2.6+2: DefTech BP2000, CLR2000, Di 5.5BPS, UIW BPZ/A, Di 8R, M&K MX-125. Bedroom: Yamaha RX-A3070, LG C8 55", DISH 4k Joey, FTV4k, 5.1.4: DT RCS II, RSS II, IW Sub Ref. Basement: Yamaha RX-A3040, 3x Marantz MA700U, Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Panasonic P65VT50, 6.1: DT BP2000, CLR2000, Di 6.5R
jch2 is offline  
post #829 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I have lower ohm speakers, I just set the maximum volume to be less than reference volume i.e. limiting master volume to no higher than -15 dB, so as to not overdrive speakers or overheat the amplifiers. I was convinced by others' compelling arguments not to use Yamaha's "low impedance" protection option as it just reduced internal voltages, thus handicapping the AVR.
After months of research I finally pulled the trigger on the entire setup. I'm crossing my fingers that the Yamaha won't have any issues. Agreed, I read the same with the low impedance protection option.
audiophile7 is offline  
post #830 of 1839 Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,081
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
There's so little information ever sent to the Surround Back speakers and it's easy to virtually create the SBL and SBR with SL+SB and SR+SB (what the models prior to the RX-A3080 do) that the difference between having two vs one SB speaker is pretty negligible. But the cost of changing from 6.2.2 to 7.2.2 (or 5.2.4) is pretty high. I wonder why it was eliminated?...
This is pure, industrial strength conjecture, but I suspect it could've been licensing restrictions from Dolby ("If you want Dolby Surround and Atmos, you have to conform to our new minimum standard of a two-channel Surround Back"). Compare and contrast with their rather petty move last year to ask the manufacturers to proscribe use of the Dolby Surround upmixer on non-Dolby audio content (or was it only DTS content?). IMHO Dolby Labs' a big player, they can wield that clout, reasonably or otherwise.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #831 of 1839 Old 04-07-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,267
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7035 Post(s)
Liked: 7068
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
Any way to get rid of my 2070 to get the 2080??? The xx70 models were supposed to get an eARC updated and now they are not. I'm super pissed about this.
Sure list on Ebay, Amazon, craigslist, or here in the classified section on AVS.....
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #832 of 1839 Old 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Newbie
 
rcreff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just want to confirm...I can run this with Dolby Atmos with
Front L/R
Center
Side Surround L/R
Rear Surround L/R
Ceiling 2x speakers
Subwoofer

Just bought this for $800 on Adorama...anyone think of a reason I should have spent $800 more for the Denon AVR-X4500H?

Thanks,
Rob
rcreff is offline  
post #833 of 1839 Old 04-07-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,081
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Sorry, you're in the wrong thread if you want confirmations you should'a bought that Denon. Go to the Denon thread, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #834 of 1839 Old 04-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
scotthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreff View Post
Just want to confirm...I can run this with Dolby Atmos with
Front L/R
Center
Side Surround L/R
Rear Surround L/R
Ceiling 2x speakers
Subwoofer
Yep, it'll work - standard 7.2.2 speaker layout - pg 22 of the manual.

Last edited by scotthal; 04-07-2019 at 07:00 PM.
scotthal is offline  
post #835 of 1839 Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone know the "right way" of using "Configurations" on the RX-A3080? Is there a specific crossover that I should set all of the speakers to? Because I currently have all of my speakers set to "80hz", mainly because I want anything under 80hz to be sent to my subs.

Am I doing this right?
dannphou is offline  
post #836 of 1839 Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Newbie
 
godey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
web browser control

I just ordered the rx-v2085, upgrading from rx-a2010.
Yamaha does not have a manual for rx-v2085 so I am inferring everything from the rx-2080 manual because I read somewhere both are comparable except with the 5th foot and maybe internal components.

From reading, I seem to get the impression yamaha removed the web browser control you get by going to the ip address of the receiver.

Anyone with rx-A*80 care to post screenshot if the web control center is still available or what they see when they enter the ip address into a browser.

Thanks.
godey is offline  
post #837 of 1839 Old 04-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
scotthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by godey View Post
Yamaha does not have a manual for rx-v2085.
Try https://au.yamaha.com/files/download...om_A_En_B0.pdf
ChromeJob likes this.
scotthal is offline  
post #838 of 1839 Old 04-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Newbie
 
godey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Try //au.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/1206424/web_AV17-0235_RX-V3085_2085_om_A_En_B0.pdf[/URL]
Appreciated. Do you know if yamaha yanked the web control features? It's still not mentioned in the rx-v2085 manual. (quick search).

If is removed I'd just cancel the order before it is shipped.
godey is offline  
post #839 of 1839 Old 04-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
scotthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by godey View Post
Anyone with rx-A*80 care to post screenshot if the web control center is still available or what they see when they enter the ip address into a browser
Hadn't tried this before; web interface on my RX-V2085 seems rudimentary, w/limited functionality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web Settings.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2550492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advanced Settings.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	2550494  
scotthal is offline  
post #840 of 1839 Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Newbie
 
godey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Hadn't tried this before; web interface on my RX-V2085 seems rudimentary, w/limited functionality.
What a bummer! Why did they take away such a nice feature? It used to have some basic controls all for volume, scene, party mode. And if you add /setup/ you get all controls
godey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth headphones , yamaha 1080

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off