The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 330Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 1158 Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Member
 
abilyeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
Have you tried the MusicCast app? Does that show you what you're after?

I have the MusicCast app, but I never use it because it seems a lot less useful than the AV controller app. I can check it tonight, but I doubt it has any technical data like that.
abilyeu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1158 Old 09-25-2018, 02:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
I just went over this in the lower 2018 Aventage thread and worth discussing here as well. Although the lower "A" models shipped with this feature on board, these higher models will receive the feature via a future firmware update (ETA unknown). Note however, that when using MusicCast speakers as wireless surrounds, you are limited to a 5.1 setup only.



Although it wasn't an RX-A1080/2080/3080... I did play with a wireless rear speaker today on an RXV685.
It was setup in a 5.1.2 configuration and the rear speakers worked happily during the ATMOS demo disc.
However, when I reconfigured it to run 7.1, the amplifier wouldn't allow me to use surround backs as well as the WX050 speaker.
Sooooo - it appears that you can run L/C/R and SR / SL + front heights...
But not L/C/R/SR/SL/RL/RR...
dunnersfella is offline  
post #63 of 1158 Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,009
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22015 Post(s)
Liked: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
Although it wasn't an RX-A1080/2080/3080... I did play with a wireless rear speaker today on an RXV685.
It was setup in a 5.1.2 configuration and the rear speakers worked happily during the ATMOS demo disc.
However, when I reconfigured it to run 7.1, the amplifier wouldn't allow me to use surround backs as well as the WX050 speaker.
Sooooo - it appears that you can run L/C/R and SR / SL + front heights...
But not L/C/R/SR/SL/RL/RR...
Did you confirm there was audio coming from the height speakers?
jdsmoothie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 1158 Old 09-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Did you confirm there was audio coming from the height speakers?

Yes, which is why your comment re: 5.1 confused me.
Interestingly enough the WXA50 received a firmware update yesterday (something about automatically adjusting the crossover when paired with a MusicCast sub)... but I did notice that after that update came through pairing to the receiver was a lot faster. I had changed the receiver to have a static IP address (hard wired) so that may have explained the increase in setup speed?
dunnersfella is offline  
post #65 of 1158 Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,009
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22015 Post(s)
Liked: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
Yes, which is why your comment re: 5.1 confused me.
Interestingly enough the WXA50 received a firmware update yesterday (something about automatically adjusting the crossover when paired with a MusicCast sub)... but I did notice that after that update came through pairing to the receiver was a lot faster. I had changed the receiver to have a static IP address (hard wired) so that may have explained the increase in setup speed?
That suggests that a 5.1.4 will likely work as well with the A2080/A3080.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #66 of 1158 Old 10-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Member
 
pngasius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha rx-3080 upmixing

Hello, does anyone know if the 3080 can apply dolby surround to a dts signal and apply dts neural to a dolby signal?
pngasius is offline  
post #67 of 1158 Old 10-03-2018, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngasius View Post
Hello, does anyone know if the 3080 can apply dolby surround to a dts signal and apply dts neural to a dolby signal?
You can use Dolby Surround on any bitstreamed source, even a DTS signal,
But you cannot use DTS based Neural:X on any Dolby Digital, DD+, or Dolby TrueHD bitstream on any 2018 Yamaha model.
(only models 2017 or lower can do both with either format)

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #68 of 1158 Old 10-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Craig Mecak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngasius View Post
Hello, does anyone know if the 3080 can apply dolby surround to a dts signal and apply dts neural to a dolby signal?

Yes to the first part of your question, and no to the second.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
Craig Mecak is offline  
post #69 of 1158 Old 10-04-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
billmich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
Yes to the first part of your question, and no to the second.
and this is a dolby restriction that may (or may not) be implemented to older models via firmware
billmich is offline  
post #70 of 1158 Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 AM
Member
 
paesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to get a 1080 to hookup with my Emotiva XPA-3. I will be using my Emotiva to drive the fronts and center. Will I be able to do a 5.1.2 Atmos setup with the 1080 and the Emotiva. Thanks.

Last edited by paesan; 10-05-2018 at 04:32 AM.
paesan is offline  
post #71 of 1158 Old 10-22-2018, 08:17 AM
Member
 
dstewart51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Lake Hughes, CA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My all Yamaha surround setup - upgrade

It all started after I decided to ditch the using a 10 year old laptop connected via HDMI to a 12 year old 32" tub HD TV. We live in a very rural mountain area with no cable or OTA service. At least I can get bonded DSL for streaming. On a trip to Costco I decided to pickup a modestly priced Samsung OLED 49" SmartTV, my wife correctly predicted this would lead to upgrading everything else. I was okay with just the TV until I wanted to run sound to my mid 90's vintage Kenwood receiver, but could not find either an analog output on the TV or a digital input on the receiver. This led down a path of trail and error with multiple returns to various retailers.

Funny how the TV is simple and relatively inexpensive where as the audio is complicated and can get pricey. I ended up with a new TV, HT Receiver, Main speakers, Subs, Blu Ray player, basically everything.

After going through three receivers, I ended up with the Yamaha RX-A2080, this powers the main NS-777's using two channels each (not really convinced I am gaining anything bi-amping here, but I have the extra channels so why not). The center is the NS-C444, surround NS-333 and surround back NS-333's again. I started with one NS-SW300 sub, but added a second for better fill in the large open room. Its far from an ideal room for sound, but I have been super impressed with the overall quality. Mounting the NS-333's over the stairs was an experience. I read many reviews on the Yamaha speakers in the AVS Forums, I know they are generally not considered higher-end or even higher-end of the mid grade. But they sure are an improvement over the mid 90's DCM's they replaced and a good place to start.

Anyway... it's done, now I need to work on adding some sound damning to the room, going to start with an area rug under the couch which will cover up a large area up to the entertainment center (9x12').

Here are some photos of what I had to work with;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8027.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	2471814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8030.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	585.2 KB
ID:	2471816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8021.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	588.5 KB
ID:	2471818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8025.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	669.4 KB
ID:	2471820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8019.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	560.5 KB
ID:	2471822  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8029.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	2471824  
SleepyKat and highd3f like this.
dstewart51 is offline  
post #72 of 1158 Old 10-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Member
 
HiDefbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
After going through three receivers, I ended up with the Yamaha RX-A2080, this powers the main NS-777's using two channels each (not really convinced I am gaining anything bi-amping here, but I have the extra channels so why not). The center is the NS-C444, surround NS-333 and surround back NS-333's again. I started with one NS-SW300 sub, but added a second for better fill in the large open room. Its far from an ideal room for sound, but I have been super impressed with the overall quality. Mounting the NS-333's over the stairs was an experience. I read many reviews on the Yamaha speakers in the AVS Forums, I know they are generally not considered higher-end or even higher-end of the mid grade. But they sure are an improvement over the mid 90's DCM's they replaced and a good place to start.
Did you choose to connect both pairs of surround speakers to the 2080 as 7.2 or did you try connecting the rear surrounds as presence for a 5.2.2?
HiDefbg is offline  
post #73 of 1158 Old 10-25-2018, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefbg View Post
Did you choose to connect both pairs of surround speakers to the 2080 as 7.2 or did you try connecting the rear surrounds as presence for a 5.2.2?
I'm pretty sure that's not an option, at least it wasn't on any pre 2018 Yamaha's
When only Two presence speakers are enabled they have to be Front Height or Top Overhead,
I don't think you can add Rear Presence speakers unless you already have a Front or Overhead Pair hooked up to the Front Presence speaker outputs. (5.2.4)

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #74 of 1158 Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Member
 
dstewart51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Lake Hughes, CA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefbg View Post
Did you choose to connect both pairs of surround speakers to the 2080 as 7.2 or did you try connecting the rear surrounds as presence for a 5.2.2?

I went with 7.2, surround with surround back.
dstewart51 is offline  
post #75 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 AM
Member
 
HiDefbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not an option, at least it wasn't on any pre 2018 Yamaha's
When only Two presence speakers are enabled they have to be Front Height or Top Overhead,
I don't think you can add Rear Presence speakers unless you already have a Front or Overhead Pair hooked up to the Front Presence speaker outputs. (5.2.4)
I haven't tried it myself, but doesn't the following description from the 2070/3070 manual make it sound like you can configure the hook up of rear presence speakers independent of the front presence speakers?:

Presence speaker layout

The unit provides three layout patterns for presence speakers (Front Height/Rear Height, Overhead and Dolby Enabled SP). Choose a layout pattern that suits your listening environment.

• You can enjoy Dolby Atmos, DTS:X or Cinema DSP HD3 with any layout pattern.
• You can configure the placement patterns for front presence and rear presence speakers separately.

Front Height/Rear Height

Install the presence speakers on the front/rear side wall.
It delivers a natural sound field with excellent linkage of left, right, top and bottom sound spaces, and sound extensity effectively.
HiDefbg is offline  
post #76 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefbg View Post
I haven't tried it myself, but doesn't the following description from the 2070/3070 manual make it sound like you can configure the hook up of rear presence speakers independent of the front presence speakers?:

Presence speaker layout

The unit provides three layout patterns for presence speakers (Front Height/Rear Height, Overhead and Dolby Enabled SP). Choose a layout pattern that suits your listening environment.

• You can enjoy Dolby Atmos, DTS:X or Cinema DSP HD3 with any layout pattern.
• You can configure the placement patterns for front presence and rear presence speakers separately.

Front Height/Rear Height

Install the presence speakers on the front/rear side wall.
It delivers a natural sound field with excellent linkage of left, right, top and bottom sound spaces, and sound extensity effectively.
Have you setup your system for ATMOS/DTS:X audio?

I've had a Yamaha 7.4.4 ATMOS/DTS:X setup for about 3 years now
Utilizing Front Height + Rear Height bookshelf speakers on swivel mounts.

If you only have Two presence speakers configured in a Yamaha AVR,
ATMOS/DTS:X audio will be sent to them when playing ATMOS/DTS:X tracks assuming the speakers are placed mid ceiling or in front of you.

They certainly don't go behind you, but you can ask that in the ATMOS thread if you don't believe me:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...r-version.html

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-2-setups.html



From the 2080/3080 Manual:
(Still reads the same as the previous 3050/3060/3070 models)








Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Presence Speakers_1.png
Views:	1768
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	2473834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Presence Speakers_2.png
Views:	1702
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2473836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Presence Speakers_4.png
Views:	51
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2473840   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.1.2_Setup.png
Views:	1761
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2473870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Presence Speakers_3.png
Views:	1763
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2473880  


The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-26-2018 at 06:06 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #77 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Member
 
HiDefbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Have you setup your system for ATMOS/DTS:X audio?
I'm set up for 7.1.2 + Zone 2, with presence speakers high up on my front wall. Without using an external amp, configuring for Zone 2 meant I needed to configure my rear wall mounted speakers as rear surrounds instead of rear presence, which I would have preferred.

Pio, we're discussing two separate things: You're correctly pointing out that in an ideal Dolby Atmos configuration, you would not choose to place your only height speakers behind you. Agreed. However, not everybody can place height speakers in ideal places, including the ceiling or on the from wall. I submit that any height information that you can provide the unit, will provide the listener with a more 3D spacial sound experience than configuring all speakers in one plane, e.g., a 7.x configuration. In that regard, dstewart51 should consider adding two up-firing "Dolby Enabled" front speakers. But wouldn't it be nice if instead, dstewart51 could convert the rear surrounds into rear height speakers?

Putting aside for a moment what is or is not ideal placement of height speakers, I'm wondering if the unit can be successfully configured with rear height speakers only. If so, and YPAO could then be run with Angle Measurements for those rear height speakers only, then the resulting configuration would be superior to running four surround speakers. The Angle Measurement ensures that Yamaha's Cinema DSP will steer sound info correctly to the different speakers which the unit then knows are on different planes.

Concluding, to take this out of the hypothetical, has anybody successfully configured a rear presence only setup?
HiDefbg is offline  
post #78 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefbg View Post

Pio, we're discussing two separate things: You're correctly pointing out that in an ideal Dolby Atmos configuration, you would not choose to place your only height speakers behind you. Agreed. However, not everybody can place height speakers in ideal places, including the ceiling or on the from wall. I submit that any height information that you can provide the unit, will provide the listener with a more 3D spacial sound experience than configuring all speakers in one plane, e.g., a 7.x configuration. In that regard, dstewart51 should consider adding two up-firing "Dolby Enabled" front speakers. But wouldn't it be nice if instead, dstewart51 could convert the rear surrounds into rear height speakers?

Putting aside for a moment what is or is not ideal placement of height speakers, I'm wondering if the unit can be successfully configured with rear height speakers only. If so, and YPAO could then be run with Angle Measurements for those rear height speakers only, then the resulting configuration would be superior to running four surround speakers. The Angle Measurement ensures that Yamaha's Cinema DSP will steer sound info correctly to the different speakers which the unit then knows are on different planes.

Concluding, to take this out of the hypothetical, has anybody successfully configured a rear presence only setup?
Read the manual, there is NO setting to do what you are proposing, (ATMOS or Not).

When 7 speakers are being used, you have only Two choices. 7.1 OR 5.1.2 and the .2 can never be Rear Heights
(Only the Front Presence speaker jacks are active when amp assignment mode is set to 5.1.2)





The only way is to add Front presence speakers and create a 5.1.4 layout to enable the rears as Presence and not Back Surrounds.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.1.2 vs 7.1.png
Views:	1731
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2474100  
ChromeJob likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-26-2018 at 02:55 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #79 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 06:12 PM
Member
 
HiDefbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Only the Front Presence speaker jacks are active when amp assignment mode is set to 5.1.2. The only way is to add Front presence speakers and create a 5.1.4 layout to enable the rears as Presence and not Back Surrounds.
Makes sense that only the Front Presence speaker jacks are active when Amp Assign is set for 5.1.2, as you're telling the unit you're not using two amp channels. But what if you set Amp Assign for 5.2.4, but connect rear presence speakers to "EXTRA SP 2" terminals while leaving the "EXTRA SP 1" unused?

Regardless, what dstewart51 could definitely try is this experiment:

Set up a Pattern 2 configuration for Amp Assign of 5.1.2, and re-connect his rear surrounds into the Front Presence speaker jacks. Next, set Presence Speaker Layout to Front wall presence speakers, as that is where his rear presence speakers are hooked up to. Then run YPAO with Angle Measurements.

The idea is to get height info into the his 2080 so a Dolby Atmos stream will send height sound to his measured rear "heights." It doesn't really matter that the heights are not ideally located. The operating premise is: Any height info is better than no height info at all!

Dstewart51 can easily A/B test such a set up by downloading LEAF, or any other good Dolby Atmos material and play it back with both his Pattern 1 (7.2), and his Pattern 2 (5.2.2). Then decide which sounds better!

Importantly, from looking at dstewart51's great pics, it doesn't look like front up-firing Atmos Enabled speakers would even work in his environment, what with those irregular ceilings. And most importantly, why waste the 2080's ability to process and take advantage of the Dolby Atmos carnival ride?
HiDefbg is offline  
post #80 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefbg View Post
Makes sense that only the Front Presence speaker jacks are active when Amp Assign is set for 5.1.2, as you're telling the unit you're not using two amp channels. But what if you set Amp Assign for 5.2.4, but connect rear presence speakers to "EXTRA SP 2" terminals while leaving the "EXTRA SP 1" unused?

Regardless, what dstewart51 could definitely try is this experiment:

Set up a Pattern 2 configuration for Amp Assign of 5.1.2, and re-connect his rear surrounds into the Front Presence speaker jacks. Next, set Presence Speaker Layout to Front wall presence speakers, as that is where his rear presence speakers are hooked up to. Then run YPAO with Angle Measurements.

The idea is to get height info into the his 2080 so a Dolby Atmos stream will send height sound to his measured rear "heights." It doesn't really matter that the heights are not ideally located. The operating premise is: Any height info is better than no height info at all!

Dstewart51 can easily A/B test such a set up by downloading LEAF, or any other good Dolby Atmos material and play it back with both his Pattern 1 (7.2), and his Pattern 2 (5.2.2). Then decide which sounds better!

Importantly, from looking at dstewart51's great pics, it doesn't look like front up-firing Atmos Enabled speakers would even work in his environment, what with those irregular ceilings. And most importantly, why waste the 2080's ability to process and take advantage of the Dolby Atmos carnival ride?
I'm not sure you understand that ATMOS height meta data is embedded in the core 7.1 TrueHD Bit Stream. ATMOS is Not a separate audio track.
All the ATMOS decoder does is extract flagged "height" content from the core Bed Layer (ear level) speakers and moves it up to the Height speakers.

It's the separation between ear level speakers and height speakers that creates the "Bubble" around and above you for correct object placement.

Since Dstewart51 has his Back Surround speakers mounted high, there is nothing to be gained because
nothing is going to be relocated/extracted that normally would be there anyway in the core 7.1 track.

And a 5.1.4 amp assignment with only 2 presence speaker wired would potentially throw away half the intended height audio.
Not a good idea when you've already dismissed the back surround channels and replaced them with Front Height effects from the Front L/C/R speakers
The correct assignment would be 7.1.2 with the Front Presence jacks used as the only pair and configured as Overhead. Let YPAO do its thing.

When an object circles my 7.1.4 room in an ATMOS demo, there is no way Front Height specific meta data is going to be placed correctly in my space
if my Front Height speakers were relocated to sit high on my Rear wall (where my Rear Height speakers are) That's just absurd and wrong in every way.


The only way Dstewart51 can get proper Height/ATMOS/DTS:X/3D DSP effects in that space is to move from 7.1 to 5.1.4 by undoing his Bi-Amped Front L/R speakers
and adding 2 Front L/R Height Speakers above his Bay Window, the same way he did the other surrounds. Then wire those high mounted Back Surrounds to his Rear Presence speaker terminals,
Re-Run YPAO (His 9 Channel RX-A2080 can certainly do 5.1.4 without an additional external Amp) and ideally, the side surrounds should be dropped to ear level on stands.

Again, I encourage you to challenge the experts in the ATMOS section if you don't trust what I'm trying to explain to you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...r-version.html

Most of us there are in agreement that 5.1.4 is far superior to 7.1.2 configurations (if you can't accommodate 7.1.4)
But it has to be done correctly and the guidelines are pretty straight forward in regards to speaker placement.
ChromeJob likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-29-2018 at 10:29 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #81 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 11:35 PM
Member
 
dstewart51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Lake Hughes, CA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just watched the Martin in 7.1, I was pretty pleased with the results, though my wife kept telling me it was too loud.

Yamaha RX-A2080 | NS-F901 FL/FR | NS-C901 Center | 2x NS-SW300 Sub's | NS-333 SL/SR + SBL/SBR
Yamaha BD-S681 Blu Ray | Samsung MU6290 4K UHD TV - 7.2 config
dstewart51 is offline  
post #82 of 1158 Old 10-26-2018, 11:55 PM
Member
 
HiDefbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
When an object circles my 7.1.4 room in an ATMOS demo, there is no way Front Height specific meta data is going to be placed correctly in my space

The only way Dstewart51 can get proper Height/Presence/ATMOS/DTS:X/3D DSP effects in that space is to go 5.1.4 by undoing his Bi-Amped Front L/R floorstanders
and adding 2 Front Height Speakers above his Bay Window, the same way he did the others, THEN hook those high mounted Back Surrounds to his Rear Presence speaker jacks
Re-Run YPAO (His 9 Channel RX-A2080 can certainly do 5.1.4 without an additional external Amp) and ideally, the side surrounds should be dropped to ear level on stands.
Compliments on your appropriately branded Man Cave where a man can place speakers where ever he pleases! Unfortunately, my home theater environment -- like dstewart51's -- is also living space and is as challenging as his. Still, I don't understand why, when an object is circling in your room in an ATMOS demo, there is no way Front Height specific meta data is going to be placed correctly in your space. Why?

There's an LG OLED app called "Dolby Access" with an excellent Dolby Atmos demo called See. Hear. Spectacular. Even in my challenging 7.1.2 setup, the Dolby Atmos object based soundtrack is precisely placed in the bubble of my 3D space. Choose the receiver's Enhanced DSP mode, and the imaging is even better. Victims, I mean friends, who witness this demo wish they were seat belted in!

Whichever way dstewart51 decides to proceed -- Pio's suggestions are all good too -- definitely rejigger your setup for ATMOS!
HiDefbg is offline  
post #83 of 1158 Old 10-27-2018, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefbg View Post
Compliments on your appropriately branded Man Cave where a man can place speakers where ever he pleases! Unfortunately, my home theater environment -- like dstewart51's -- is also living space and is as challenging as his. Still, I don't understand why, when an object is circling in your room in an ATMOS demo, there is no way Front Height specific meta data is going to be placed correctly in your space. Why?
You miss-quoted me, that's not what I said at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

When an object circles my 7.1.4 room in an ATMOS demo, there is no way Front Height specific meta data is going to be placed correctly in my space
if my Front Height speakers were relocated to sit high on my Rear wall (where my Rear Height speakers are) That's just absurd and wrong in every way.


Either you totally missed my point, or you're intentionally trolling

Demos play exactly as intended around my room with upper pans circling from left to right and front to rear without issue.
Often the Front Upper Height speakers have directional cues that are shared with the Front Speakers, this is a especially true on DTS:X material for those who
have not setup two speaker patterns with Presence Speakers configured as Overhead for ATMOS content and configured as Height for DTS:X content.

I have configured both speaker patterns and saved them into separate Scene selections,
so it's a one button press to swap from ATMOS/Dolby Surround (overhead) to DTS:X/Neural:X (height) depending on my source.

I was suggesting that "IF" took my current speaker configuration (which works perfectly as designed because it matches Both Dolby/DTS spec for immersive audio)
and changed it to match what you were suggesting by using only Two Presence speakers at the Rear Height location of the room, it would not sound accurate.

Your layout works because the two presence speakers are up Front, not on the upper rear wall.
Rear Height only works when its accompanied by an appropriate Front Height/Overhead pair. Front or Top work fine on their own.
That's why its an option in all ATMOS capable AVR's menu system and Your suggested 2 Rear Height speakers only is Not.



FYI, YPAO Angle measurement is in Azimuth on the horizontal plane, not a vertical angle...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Height Speakers.png
Views:	1691
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	2474350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Angle.png
Views:	1665
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	2474356  
ChromeJob likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-27-2018 at 07:04 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #84 of 1158 Old 10-28-2018, 01:40 AM
Member
 
HiDefbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
When an object circles my 7.1.4 room in an ATMOS demo, there is no way Front Height specific meta data is going to be placed correctly in my space
if my Front Height speakers were relocated to sit high on my Rear wall (where my Rear Height speakers are) That's just absurd and wrong in every way.
I didn't mean to misquote you. My screen broke your sentence after the word "space," but I see now that your next line was a continuation and not the start of a new sentence. Now that I get what you're saying it makes a lot more sense and I'm both relieved that you're enjoying good height panning with your x.x.4 array, and apologetic for misreading what you wrote!

Here's a summary of my point of view regarding our back-and-forth:

While I intellectually admire the quest for perfection, I think too many consumers are intimidated by all the choices of hooking up these AVRs and end up not experimenting with Height. Dolby Atmos is capable of supporting up to 24 bed level speakers and 10 overheads. Is it long before maybe the RX-A3090 will have 34 internal amps (while still quoting wattage driving two speakers) and 101 Amp Assignments? And think of the all the questions on hookup you'll be fielding when that happens!

Then there are online pundits that claim psychoacoustics is a crock and you're hallucinating if you believe Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers are accomplishing anything. So up-firing modules aren't as good as actual height speakers, but they're a lot better than nothing.

Is it any wonder that people throw up their hands and go out and buy a Dolby Atmos Soundbar and call it quits?

That leads to our discussion of four overhead speakers vs two in the front (or middle of the ceiling is OK too) vs two in the back. Here's my opinion and it's just my opinion: while four well placed ceiling speakers will definitely provide the best rendered height panning experience, two front placed ceiling speakers provide a better height experience than none, and yes, two in the rear ceiling or back wall are still better than an all bed level array. I say this fully aware and grateful for all the helpful charts, diagrams, and warnings you've been posting. And I say this fully aware that rear mounted heights will have the downsides you've warned about. Yet I bet that sending what should be front height objects to the rear height of the room will be a compromise, it will still provide a more enjoyable listening experience than what either a Dolby Atmos Soundbar can deliver or no height rendering at all.

And when I have time, I'm gonna test my theory that these AVENTAGE's can be successfully wired up, and YPAOed for two rear heights!
HiDefbg is offline  
post #85 of 1158 Old 10-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Got my RX-A2080 a few days ago, switched from RX-V683, and I'm extremly pleased with the upgrade so far.
Only thing that keeps bugging me is that I cant set the remote to power down my AVR and TV at the same time. Did that on my RX-V683 with no problems (using my TV remote though). Went through all the CEC settings on my KS7000(8000 US), but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.
Banezza is offline  
post #86 of 1158 Old 10-28-2018, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banezza View Post
Got my RX-A2080 a few days ago, switched from RX-V683, and I'm extremly pleased with the upgrade so far.
Only thing that keeps bugging me is that I cant set the remote to power down my AVR and TV at the same time. Did that on my RX-V683 with no problems (using my TV remote though). Went through all the CEC settings on my KS7000(8000 US), but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.
You have to go into the Yamaha setup menu to turn HDMI Control to "On"

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #87 of 1158 Old 10-28-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,021
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post

Anyway... it's done, now I need to work on adding some sound damning to the room, going to start with an area rug under the couch which will cover up a large area up to the entertainment center (9x12').
Looks great, was the wire fishing bad?
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #88 of 1158 Old 10-28-2018, 06:53 PM
Member
 
dstewart51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Lake Hughes, CA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Looks great, was the wire fishing bad?



Not at all! I lucked out and the home builder already ran speaker wire to three of the four locations. I just used that to pull the extra channel and new wire.


I have to admit, with all the Atmos talk, I'm starting to consider adding another set of NS-333's above the bay window.
PioManiac and Dr Steve like this.
dstewart51 is offline  
post #89 of 1158 Old 10-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
You have to go into the Yamaha setup menu to turn HDMI Control to "On"
Thanks, but I've already done that, still no control
Banezza is offline  
post #90 of 1158 Old 10-29-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,685
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
… After going through three receivers, I ended up with the Yamaha RX-A2080, this powers the main NS-777's using two channels each (not really convinced I am gaining anything bi-amping here, but I have the extra channels so why not). The center is the NS-C444, surround NS-333 and surround back NS-333's again. I started with one NS-SW300 sub, but added a second for better fill in the large open room. Its far from an ideal room for sound, but I have been super impressed with the overall quality. Mounting the NS-333's over the stairs was an experience. I read many reviews on the Yamaha speakers in the AVS Forums, I know they are generally not considered higher-end or even higher-end of the mid grade. But they sure are an improvement over the mid 90's DCM's they replaced and a good place to start.…
Bi-amping speakers is almost always a waste of time, effort, and cable. I wouldn’t bother.

From your pics, I think 7.2 was the way to go in that space.

I have a NS-C444 and have been impressed with its clarity and strength. Your speakers are probably well-matched.

If the wife said it was too loud, she likely has a point. I know lots of home theater buffs like to show off the shock and awe of all those speakers working, but the REAL treat for me is when the volume of the content isn’t high, but you hear things positioned as they would be in the film/show. IIRC reference volume is something like 89 dB, so for comfortable listening, volume should be down like -20 dB or more, IMHO of course. You might need the rear and back surrounds tweaked up 2-3 relative to the fronts if you’re sitting closer to the screen and have large Left and Right speakers. Just spitballing here, mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefbg View Post
… The idea is to get height info into the his 2080 so a Dolby Atmos stream will send height sound to his measured rear "heights." It doesn't really matter that the heights are not ideally located. The operating premise is: Any height info is better than no height info at all!
I disagree. IMHO height speakers in the wrong place could be confusing for content that actually uses those.
dstewart51 likes this.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 10-31-2018 at 01:35 PM.
ChromeJob is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth headphones , yamaha 1080

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off