I've been reading the complete thread, it's been very useful so let me share my own experience with the Yamaha 3080. I've bought for my new house a 3080 with a NuPrime STA-9 for the Front, 2 MusicCast 20 for the Surround to build a 5.1.2 system. The center and the front are ELAC speakers (203 and 209 JET) and the Atmos are Klipsch RP140SA. Sub is an Audience CGA30. At the beginning, I was a bit afraid of the association of my ELAC speaker with the Yamaha but it really sounds great to my point of view.
I've started installing progressively the new receiver this way:
- Connecting the center, front left & right and sub directly to the 3080. The ELAC are 4 ohms speakers so I was a bit worried as the documentation indicates you can only connect 4 ohms speakers for the left & right after switching to 6 ohms into the advanced setup. But it did work well without issue.
- Then I've connected the Atmos speakers (8 ohms)
- Then I've connected the NuPrime STA-9 using XLR cables
- Then I've connected the wireless surround speakers using the MusicCast app
I haven't manged to connect the wireless surround immediately, I had a strange unclear error while I was trying to do so. Before trying to associate the speakers to the 3080, I had tested them separately in stereo. I was then wondering if this could have generated an issue. I have then reset them and rediscover them in the MusicCast app and been able to immediately transform them as surround speakers for the 3080. It was weird but it worked.
My second issue was with ARC. I've got an LG 77G7 supposed to be able to send Atmos via ARC (already tested successfully with a Samsung N950 soundbar). I first tried everything I've found in the documentation and the forums but the ARC association didn't work at first. The way I've managed to make it work: unplug the TV from the wall to be sure it's really off, wait a couple of seconds and replug it. Same for the receiver. The TV finally managed to send the sound out to the receiver and I even had Atmos being decoded by the Yam from the Netflix Smart TV app. However, I wasn't able to control the volume from the TV remote control. After spending time searching what could cause this issue, I've found it. I have a DVDO iScan Mini 4K scaler behind the TV receiver that was putting some mess in the HDMI chain with ARC. It looks like that ARC is very sensitive to any perturbation on the HDMI chain, it's not the first time I'm having those kind of issues. After removing the iScan, everything worked as expected: ARC with Atmos and remote control of the TV controlling the volume of the Yamaha. HDR10 and Dolby Vision were working perfectly too going through the receiver from the Apple TV and the Xbox One X.
I've then decided to start using the YPAO feature with the mic. First surprise: I wasn't able to use the multi measures feature nor the angle measures. After talking with someone from Yamaha, this is due to the connection set with the rear Yamaha MusicCast 20 wireless speakers. So don't be surprised if those 2 options are "unavailable" when you try to use them with the same setup. What I did: I've disconnected the MC20 and run the YPAO multi measures & angles setup with only the front speakers, then I connected the rear speakers and set the values manually for the distances.
During the first set of measures, the receiver switched off automatically. I first suspected a bug in the YPAO software, so I've switched it back on and restarted the setup which works well this time. But it was the first autoprotection issue of a long series... Please note: the receiver perfectly worked only 1 day. This 1st issue arrived on the 2nd day of usage.
After that, in a random timing, the receiver started to automatically switched off as if an autoprotection feature was turned on. Sometimes the receiver could be restarted immediately, sometime trying to switch it back on was impossible, it was immediately going back to autoprotection. Still, the video pass-through was still working and I was still able to go to the advanced menu.
I've started so many things to try to fix it: disconnect every cables on the rear of the receiver (I've got the 7 HDMI inputs used...), and sometimes even with ALL the cables removed, the receiver didn't want to start. Yamaha first advised me to do a software reset which temporally fixed the issue but quickly the receiver started again to automatically switched off in a random way... until I can't even more manage to start it at all. Video pass-through is still working as well as the advanced setup but nothing else.
Conclusion: my reseller has ordered a brand new Yamaha 3080 to switch with this failing unit. I'm going to do the switch today. But I'm a bit worried by this story as it's not the first time I'm having this kind of reliability issue with a brand new Yamaha product. Hopefully, last time the same story happened to me, with a Yamaha YST-2700 soundbar, it was also at the very beginning, the reseller gave me another one in exchange and the unit is working perfectly fine for years now. Let's hope this will be the same for the 3080.
I've seen in this thread that a couple of guys had similar autoprotection issues. I do hope this is very rare.
Except that, the sound quality was really great when both the Yamaha 3080 and STA-9 and I was surprised that the MusicCast 20 were really great for surround speakers. Alone the Yamaha 3080 was already great to my point of view, I didn't manage to spend enough time with it to really notice the difference between with and without the NuPrime. But the NuPrime doesn't care about 4 or 8 ohms which doesn't seem to be the case for the Yamaha.