The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes

post #1351 of 1508 Old 09-28-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2853 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaGreg View Post
I think it depends on how you're going to use the receiver and what I'm about to say I'm not 100% sure of. In addition to HDMI, HDCP is also upgrading in the next generation of receivers and if you play 4K content everything has to be under the new HDCP generation or else it won't play in 4K. (if true, that seems really F'd up to me but the new HDCP gives better copyright protection so I'm thinking there's some validity to this). My hold up on this and reason I'd probably wait until 2020 receivers is I'd like to use my receiver for a decade or more so I'd like to future proof.

Then the new HDMI 2.1 is of critical importance to me because I game a lot in my theater. The extra bandwidth of 2.1 will only help. Lastly, I'm secretly hoping Yamaha allows individual eq of the two subwoofer outputs. If you ever get the chance to shoot a machine gun or a sniper rifle in a game in a theater with monster subwoofer(s) its better than the real thing and you feel concussion of each shot. I'd love to really tweak multiple subwoofers for this.

I dearly need a new receiver but unfortunately I'm holding out until the next generation Yamaha's come out which will probably be Aug/Sept. 2020. If I find a smoking deal on something ahead of that I might go for it but it would have be an extraordinary deal.
The 2017-2018 Yamaha AVR's have the latest HDCP 2.3. https://hub.yamaha.com/future-proof-...with-hdcp-2-3/

HDMI 2.1 is true, but most features are for gamers ([email protected], VRR) or [email protected]/60Hz, but some of them can be achieved via HDMI 2.0 (ALLM/eARC...). And as we can see at the LG OLED C9, the HDMI 2.1 has many issues, so I expect more issues in the "first round" of HDMI 2.1 devices. I think only 2021 will be the real game changer. (And in fact if you have a HDMI 2.1 TV you can connect the - HDMI 2.1 - devices to it directly and with eARC send the sound forward)
What are these issues with the C9 OLED and HDMI 2.1? I asked in that thread and the 2 responses I got so far didn't mention any problems.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1508 Old 09-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6759 Post(s)
Liked: 6762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
After good YPAO calibration the mids and highs are much cleaner and clearer IMO. When I first heard it I did not like it. But I believe that was because I had never heard clean clear (kinda flat) but distinctive audio. I had, like I believe most people up to that point only heard thick bassy sound thorough all frequencies. If that makes any sense. Same thing with my Rythmik subs. At first I thought they were going to explode with bass due to the stellar reviews... They can if you want them to but dialed in properly they blend in non localized and clean. The more I learned and listened I realized good bass is suppose to be below "duh" the other freqs and not always present. It's supposed to be additive to the higher octaves, not present all the time...
You have a pro step in there you would probably be even more amazed at what can be done with better calibration equipment and more calibration experience.......
Matthew Pool likes this.
post #1353 of 1508 Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
What are these issues with the C9 OLED and HDMI 2.1? I asked in that thread and the 2 responses I got so far didn't mention any problems.
Sorry, I meant the issue with the ARC/eARC + Receivers. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58227636

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - SVS SB12-NSD - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE

Last edited by Renatto; 09-28-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 1508 Old 09-28-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Sorry, I meant the issue with the ARC/eARC + Receivers. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58227636
After a quick glance.

6/8 channel LPCM through earc is one of the features missing that would be nice to have.

Hard to call it an issue.

The rest seems to be related to other device issues.

None of it seems HDMI 2.1 specific.
post #1355 of 1508 Old 09-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2853 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Thanks, might wait another year for other reasons anyhow

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
post #1356 of 1508 Old 09-30-2019, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quick question. Just set up my 3080 and playing with various modes. When using the DSP settings (concert hall, etc) while playing 2 channel music, it only utilizes the LR speakers, and turns off the surround speakers. Is this normal?
post #1357 of 1508 Old 09-30-2019, 12:37 AM

One more question re: adjusting EQ settings after running YPAO. I want to leave the lower frequency EQ adjustments, but run the speakers flat in the higher frequencies. However, although I can see the EQ curves that YPAO sets, I cannot adjust them. I can only adjust them if I go into manual mode. But then, the curves start flat. Do I just write down the EQ changes that YPAO sets (those that I want to preserve) and then enter them manually? I read in another thread that even if in manual mode although it shows the curve starting as flat, that's it's already applied the YPAO curves, and that any manual settings are just on top of those. But that seems odd to me. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
post #1358 of 1508 Old 09-30-2019, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
One more question re: adjusting EQ settings after running YPAO. I want to leave the lower frequency EQ adjustments, but run the speakers flat in the higher frequencies. However, although I can see the EQ curves that YPAO sets, I cannot adjust them. I can only adjust them if I go into manual mode. But then, the curves start flat. Do I just write down the EQ changes that YPAO sets (those that I want to preserve) and then enter them manually? I read in another thread that even if in manual mode although it shows the curve starting as flat, that's it's already applied the YPAO curves, and that any manual settings are just on top of those. But that seems odd to me. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

When you go into manual mode you can scroll down past all the different speakers and you'll get to the option to copy the YPAO settings into manual mode. You can copy 'Flat', 'Front' or 'Natural' onto the manual settings, and then do your own trimming from there. The graphs will show a copy of the original YPAO result until you make your changes.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1359 of 1508 Old 09-30-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks
For the DSP stereo: on my 2080 I can hear all speakers (some cases without center) except if use Pure Direct mode or Straight with 2 channel source.

Manual EQ: at bottom you can reset curves or copy curves data from Flat/Fromt/Natural. I hope this help.

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - SVS SB12-NSD - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #1360 of 1508 Old 09-30-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjguk View Post
When you go into manual mode you can scroll down past all the different speakers and you'll get to the option to copy the YPAO settings into manual mode. You can copy 'Flat', 'Front' or 'Natural' onto the manual settings, and then do your own trimming from there. The graphs will show a copy of the original YPAO result until you make your changes.
Ah ok, I must've not scrolled down far enough. Thanks

Quote:
For the DSP stereo: on my 2080 I can hear all speakers (some cases without center) except if use Pure Direct mode or Straight with 2 channel source.
Hmmm, def not the case for me. I don't know what's going on. If I choose surround decode, then it will play the virtual multichannel audio with all speakers. But if I choose DSP it folds back to 2 channel only. I actually don't care that much because I have no interest in those modes really. Just curious to know if it's normal behavior.
post #1361 of 1508 Old 09-30-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Hmmm, def not the case for me. I don't know what's going on. If I choose surround decode, then it will play the virtual multichannel audio with all speakers. But if I choose DSP it folds back to 2 channel only. I actually don't care that much because I have no interest in those modes really. Just curious to know if it's normal behavior.
What do you see in the "info" menu for the speakers? I mean for source channel and output channel. Did you try it (DSP select) directly from the sound menu?

Last edited by Renatto; 09-30-2019 at 11:18 AM.
post #1362 of 1508 Old 10-05-2019, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I want to buy Yamaha RX-A1080 and I don't know how it would drive 8ohm vs. 6ohm vs. 4ohm speakers.

Specifications:

8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven - 110 W (0.06% THD)
6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven - 120 W (0.06% THD)

8ohm speakers are easier to drive than 6ohm and 6ohm are easier to drive than 4ohm.

So, if I connect two 8ohm speakers to the receiver, it would drive them with 110W per channel and if I connect 6ohm speakers it would drive them with 120W per channel?

And if I connect 4ohm speakers?
post #1363 of 1508 Old 10-06-2019, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Speaker setup

Had a Yamaha RX 3050 +ext Poweramp with 11 speakers for atmos. Using Front top and Rear Top as per diagrams.
Since bought a Denon X8500 and added a pair of overhead ceiling speakers to utilze the 13 channels.
I am at a point of moving on the Denon as its been a disappointment from denon warranty wise.
So question is, if I go back to Yamaha I have to ditch 1x pair of speakers. Having cut holes in the ceiling I dont want to ditch them, so what to do? None of the Yamaha Speaker layouts show overhead speakers in ceiling speakers?
Option looks like getting rid of Rear Heights or maybe Rear Surrounds?

Ideas?

Infocus SP8600 DLP, Denon AVC X8500H, Sony UBP X800 player, Denon DBT3313 Player, Kef 203/1 Main, 202C Center, Kef204ds Surround, HTS 2001 Rear Surround and FP, RP, Kef Ci130er Top, 2x Kenwood SW-X1 12" Subs fitted DLS DS3004BP plate amps.
Vinyl - Technics SL1210, Reson Reca, Decca London Maroon, Denon 103R, Rotel RQ970BX Modified or EAR834P.
post #1364 of 1508 Old 10-06-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Yamaha supports a total of 4 height speakers. They can be either in/on wall overhead or front height and rear height or a combination of the two.

All other speakers are bed channels or floor/ear level speakers. Yamaha supports 7 of those (plus subwoofer(s)).
post #1365 of 1508 Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Am I missing something or did Yamaha eliminate the On Screen Display for inputs in favor of having to use the phone app? I have the 3080
post #1366 of 1508 Old 10-07-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaction View Post
Had a Yamaha RX 3050 +ext Poweramp with 11 speakers for atmos. Using Front top and Rear Top as per diagrams.
Since bought a Denon X8500 and added a pair of overhead ceiling speakers to utilze the 13 channels.
I am at a point of moving on the Denon as its been a disappointment from denon warranty wise.
So question is, if I go back to Yamaha I have to ditch 1x pair of speakers. Having cut holes in the ceiling I dont want to ditch them, so what to do? None of the Yamaha Speaker layouts show overhead speakers in ceiling speakers?
Option looks like getting rid of Rear Heights or maybe Rear Surrounds?

Ideas?
I am not a Denon supporter by any means due to my own abysmal experiences with their support, but did you have problems with the 8500H. I dont see that situation very often at all as it is actually a very solid piece or are you getting in front of something due to a bad taste in your mouth. That is certainly supported as well. I decided to do just that and while it was hard it also made me feel like I did what was right after 15 years of exclusive brand loyalty.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #1367 of 1508 Old 10-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SskylineE View Post
So, if I connect two 8ohm speakers to the receiver, it would drive them with 110W per channel and if I connect 6ohm speakers it would drive them with 120W per channel?
The short answer is yes, although I would use the word "can" instead of "would". For example it can drive those speakers at even more W per channel, at the expense of greater distortion.

Comparing amplifier specifications can be difficult because different manufacturers will use different criteria whereas a true comparison requires identical criteria. In other words, if you're going to compare your Yamaha to something else, everything needs to be the same: speaker impedance, frequency, THD, number of channels. 2 channel output is typically used because it's kind of a lowest common denominator, but the other criteria vary all over the place.

Yamaha is probably better than most at publishing those specs because 0.06% THD is (at least arguably) negligible. They (or anyone else) could obviously advertise a lot more W/Ch at the expense of greater THD. Marantz for example publishes values for 0.08% THD. Denon publishes both 0.05% and 0.08%. I seriously doubt I could perceive such tiny differences, but you get the idea. And then there are manufacturers who advertise the total number of watts, or... don't get me started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SskylineE View Post
And if I connect 4ohm speakers?
The answer is "it depends". All else being equal (again) the receiver should be capable of providing even greater power to 4Ω speakers than either 6 or 8Ω, but lacking any specifics a definitive answer cannot be provided.
post #1368 of 1508 Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
I am not a Denon supporter by any means due to my own abysmal experiences with their support, but did you have problems with the 8500H. I dont see that situation very often at all as it is actually a very solid piece or are you getting in front of something due to a bad taste in your mouth. That is certainly supported as well. I decided to do just that and while it was hard it also made me feel like I did what was right after 15 years of exclusive brand loyalty.

Had it in March and been back for HDMI board (failed) and then had to go back again as they didn't set region on HDMI board. In the meantime they dropped the unit at the workshop and dented the front panel. I am still in discussion with dealer and Denon. Hardly used it in the six months I have had it. So it looks like moving it on.

There is a very desirable CX5100 MX5000 for sale for similar money.

Ideally If Yamaha made a receiver with 11 amps and Pre-out with 13 channel processing, for the extra two channels, that wouuld be ideal.

Infocus SP8600 DLP, Denon AVC X8500H, Sony UBP X800 player, Denon DBT3313 Player, Kef 203/1 Main, 202C Center, Kef204ds Surround, HTS 2001 Rear Surround and FP, RP, Kef Ci130er Top, 2x Kenwood SW-X1 12" Subs fitted DLS DS3004BP plate amps.
Vinyl - Technics SL1210, Reson Reca, Decca London Maroon, Denon 103R, Rotel RQ970BX Modified or EAR834P.
post #1369 of 1508 Old 10-08-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 254
damn that sounds similar to my experience with United Radio. After a lot of emails and back and forth, they eventually exchanged a 7200wa with a damaged door from packing to an nib 8500h. As my final salute to D&M I was the bigger person and with all my strength just sold it ending a 15 year supportive relationship for the brand. Best of luck. I went to Yamaha as well. I have one Denon and one Marantz still left in the house. I will change out a Denon 3300w soon for an aventage 10xx series sooner or later when I find something that works for me cost wise. I just dont want the headaches anymore. The Marantz is a slim line and has been fairly solid thus far and I like it in the bedroom.

post #1370 of 1508 Old 10-08-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
Am I missing something or did Yamaha eliminate the On Screen Display for inputs in favor of having to use the phone app? I have the 3080
I'm guessing you may've disabled the "short message" option. But I doubt they are phasing out any on-screen displays.

Still, I love the app for iOS and Android. One of the best I've seen.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1371 of 1508 Old 10-09-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I'm guessing you may've disabled the "short message" option. But I doubt they are phasing out any on-screen displays.

Still, I love the app for iOS and Android. One of the best I've seen.
The App is good but sometimes I'll forget to bring my phone with me into the theater room and would rather have the OSD with my remote. What I probably need to do is figure out which button triggers the OSD with the new Yamaha remote and reprogram the Universal I have.
post #1372 of 1508 Old 10-10-2019, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
What are default settings in terms of sound when watching eg. Netflix Dolby Atmos.
Should be switched to Dolby Surround or 9ch stereo in AV Controller?
I’m a little confused thus made some presets under Settings in my 2080.
post #1373 of 1508 Old 10-10-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papylon View Post
What are default settings in terms of sound when watching eg. Netflix Dolby Atmos.
Dolby Surround or straight. But I think it's auto select if the source is Atmos.

post #1374 of 1508 Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Dolby Surround or straight. But I think it's auto select if the source is Atmos.

Thx
post #1375 of 1508 Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question on Spotify Connect if I may.
Both 1080 and my smartphone are on the same WiFi, but I'm having trouble finding the yamaha on the connected device list. All my other connect devices are there, it's just the receiver missing. Is there a setting I missed?
post #1376 of 1508 Old 10-13-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
The App is good but sometimes I'll forget to bring my phone with me into the theater room and would rather have the OSD with my remote. What I probably need to do is figure out which button triggers the OSD with the new Yamaha remote and reprogram the Universal I have.
Look in the manual, and in the AVR settings, for "Short message." Should be under "Display."

Quote:
Originally Posted by papylon View Post
FYI 9ch Stereo is a mode that mixes any content down to stereo and then plays back through all channels. 99% of the time, you don't want that for native multichannel content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev12 View Post
Quick question on Spotify Connect if I may.
Both 1080 and my smartphone are on the same WiFi, but I'm having trouble finding the yamaha on the connected device list. All my other connect devices are there, it's just the receiver missing. Is there a setting I missed?
Try putting your AVR on a static IP address that is not being used by your router for DHCP (automatically assigned) addresses. Worked wonders for my older model.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1377 of 1508 Old 10-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Is it true that YPAO in the A2080 is 32 bits? It was 64 bits on my previous A2070, but now 64 bits is listed in the A3080 as a step up from the A2080

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Optoma HD20 - Panasonic 50PZ80 - Samsung 32C650 - LG M2380D
Speakers: Focal Aria 948- Focal Aria 906 - Focal CC900 - BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Roksan K3 - Yamaha RX-A2070 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
post #1378 of 1508 Old 10-15-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey Guys,

I'm running the RX-V2085,(thats the Australian version of the 2080) had it for about 6 months, I've been getting this random "Thud" coming through my sub woofer for about half a second. It happens maybe once or twice a day randomly, I figured it was just the sub woofer, but after connecting a 2nd sub, I'm also getting this random (and very loud) THUD.

Its very quick, but i've noticed that during the thud, all the other speaker channels stop working for about half a second while the thud kicks in, then everything is back to normal.

Doesn't matter what source the input is coming from, it just happens randomly.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Cheers
post #1379 of 1508 Old 10-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone uses spotify connect with this? Is it normal it disconnects all the time? I mean I want to skip a song and i need to connect to the 3080 again to do it, playback is just fine but controls are not from my cell phone
post #1380 of 1508 Old 10-17-2019, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanej View Post
Does anyone uses spotify connect with this? Is it normal it disconnects all the time? I mean I want to skip a song and i need to connect to the 3080 again to do it, playback is just fine but controls are not from my cell phone

I use Spotify Connect quite a bit with this. I have full control from my cell phone. I have had an occasional disconnect but very RARELY. My 3080 is hardwired to my network with a reserved IP address. Don't know if that makes any difference.

LG OLED65C9, Yamaha RX-A3080, Paradigm Reference Studio 80 Mains, Atmos 5.1.4 config, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth headphones , yamaha 1080

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page