The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 493Likes

post #1741 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 279
New Look for Aventage 2020 Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Not sure I care for the look of the new Aventage receivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Damn I like it but WTF. They didn't learn from the sneaky Denon x3600 release. If they wanted to step it up and get Onkyo guys like me to jump onto the Yamaha train, the A4 (1080) should have been able to expand to 9 channels and the A6 (2080) should have been able to expand to 11. [snip]
I guess I'm on middle ground. Don't love it or hate it. When I unpack a new receiver I'm usually smiling with excitement when I first look it over. However, once I get it calibrated and in placed in my entertainment center or rack... other than an occasional look at the display, I can't say I spend anymore time studying the overall esthetics of the receiver.

whirling likes this.

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Panasonic DP-UB820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch60 View Post
Cose Chromecast Ultra connected to TV from output 1 and for AVR input from splitter out 2. In this case you split video (for TV) and audio (for AVR)
OK. I understand that setup, thanks.

I could to that and fortunately, the 2x1 HDMI switches aren't very expensive. It would require use of the projector's 2nd HDMI input connection (not really an issue) but also another 25' cable run from my AV closet through finished ceilings and walls, to the projector. In my case, I'm running Vanco Evolution EV4k2006 HDMI Extenders (baluns) over Cat5 cable to feed my projector. (See the link to my System Pix & Diagrams in my signature below.) The extenders work great and eliminate the need for long HDMI cables that don't always work. BUT, they cost about ~$200 a pair. So, the splitter could be a solution (I assume it'd work), but not very easy due to the enclosed ceilings and walls and not cheap due to the added HDMI hardware. All of this for a $60 Chromecast Ultra that wants to be connected directly to the projector.

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS

Last edited by lflorack; 01-12-2020 at 10:22 AM.
post #1743 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch60 View Post
Cose Chromecast Ultra connected to TV from output 1 and for AVR input from splitter out 2. In this case you split video (for TV) and audio (for AVR)
OK. I understand that setup, thanks.

I could to that and fortunately, the 2x1 HDMI switches aren't very expensive. It would require use of the projector's 2nd HDMI input connection (not really an issue) but also another 25' HDMI cable run from my AV closet through finished ceilings and walls, to the projector. In my case, I'm running Vanco Evolution EV4k2006 HDMI Extenders (baluns) over Cat5 cable to feed my projector. The extenders work great and eliminate the need for long HDMI cables that don't always work. BUT, they cost about ~$200 a pair. So, the splitter could be a solution (I assume it'd work), but not very easy due to the enclosed ceilings and walls and not cheap due to the added HDMI hardware. All of this for a $60 Chromecast Ultra that wants to be connected directly to the projector.
I would just ditch the Chromecast Ultra and get an nVidia Shield TV Pro 2019. It has Chromecast built-in and also it's own UI and apps, so you get all the functionality of a Chromecast Ultra device plus a access to a ton of apps (so you don't need a separate phone or tablet to use it if you don't want too). I use the nVidia Shield TV Pro 2019 with an RX-A3070 and it has no HDMI/4k compatability issues.
junior00027 likes this.

Main: Marantz AV8805, 5x Behringer NX4-6000, Epson 6050UB, Stewart Greyhawk 120", LG C8 65", DISH H3, Panasonic UB820, ATV4k, FTV4k, 7.2.6+2: DefTech BP2000, CLR2000, Di 5.5BPS, UIW BPZ/A, Di 8R, M&K MX-125. Bedroom: Yamaha RX-A3070, LG C8 55", DISH 4k Joey, FTV4k, 5.1.4: DT RCS II, RSS II, IW Sub Ref. Basement: Yamaha RX-A3040, 3x Marantz MA700U, Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Panasonic P65VT50, 6.1: DT BP2000, CLR2000, Di 6.5R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
I guess I'm on middle ground. Don't love it or hate it. When I unpack a new receiver I'm usually smiling with excitement when I first look it over. However, once I get it calibrated and in placed in my entertainment center or rack... other than an occasional look at the display, I can't say I spend anymore time studying the overall esthetics of the receiver.

That is quite true. Looks more like a Marantz unit with the rounded front corners. I wonder if the CX replacement will have the same design, and still have only 11 channel processing? I kind of think Yamaha has no plans to go beyond 11 channels anytime soon, since they just came out with the new MX model not long ago. Most places have started to finally clearance the original MX 11 channel model just recently.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #1745 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, just got an RX-A3080. Upgraded firmware to 1.72
I use a 4K Sony UBP-X700 DVD player.
When I play an Atmos DVD, I select that in the Audio option of the DVD. (it still shows me Dolby TrueHD 7.1 in the on-screen display of the DVD)
And on the RX-A3080 I have the the Surround Decoder to Auto.

As i play it, in the Information of the the receiver, i see input as Dolby Atmos and output as 7.1.4 (nowhere does it say Atmos)
In the On-screen display also its says on the Left (Atmos) on the right (Surround Decoder)
I spoke to the dealer I got it from and he says it ok and that's how it should be..I'm not entirely convinced

I'm confused. Neither on the AV receiver panel, does it say Atmos, nor on the on-screens (Tried multiple Atmos DVDs). I'm sure its not to do with the 4K Player.
Also repeated the same with a DTS-X DVD and got the same results.

Any ideas, what setting am I missing if at all?

Speakers: 11.1 setup with 4 Top Presence (Front and Rear). Using an external Power Amp for the Front.

Thank you for your repsonses
Bryan
post #1746 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 01:51 PM

Hi, in my previous Denon AVR-4400H, i could play my stereo in a 2.1 config (using my sub)

In the RX-A3080, I only see 2 channel and 9 channel stereo . Is there way to enable 2channel stereo to use the subwoofer effectively making it 2.1

Thanks
post #1747 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Spoiler!
I then chatted with Google's Chromecast Support line. In a nutshell, they say that Chromecast (of any type or level) doesn't support connections to anything other than a TV/projector. Although I have another, non-4k, Chromecast that works fine connected to an AVR, that doesn't mean that it's a supported configuration. This stance from Google/Chromecast seems ludicrous to me, but if that's their stance, is there any hope for my setup to work?

TIA.
Rereading this, I am inclined to "call 'BS'" on this. I have a 1gen conventional CC plugged into my AVR, always on, no issues. It could be that they "recommend" plugging the CC Ultra directly into the display device, but it should make zero difference except perhaps for HDMI-CEC issues (my CC never turns on the AVR it's plugged into, ONLY the TV on the AVR output).

I suppose if we take Google at their word, then you have to plug the CC Ultra into your display, and use HDMI-ARC, eARC, or SPDIF to feed audio back to the AVR. Pffft! Out of luck if your PROJECTOR doesn't support this. (And this is why I call BS.) Chromecasts are also about audio, particularly since the bargain basement Chromecast Audio has been discontinued in favor of adding newer Chromecasts to speaker groups for multi-room music casting. The Chromecast Ultra should NOT be just for display devices.

If you open Google Home, and the settings for the CC Ultra, you might be able to sign that CC up to the "preview" channel for firmware updates. You get bug fixes or enhancements a little faster. I would go on the Google Product Support forums for the Chromecasts and start raising a stink, too. If it were me, "I did NOT buy this top o' the line Chromecast just for pictures and video on my projector! Does the Amazon Fire TV have the same limitation?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrota View Post
New yamaha Aventage 2020
Its in french skip to 5:30
https://youtu.be/-Rqz8pYVq-c
FYI not available, or at least not available in the US.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #1748 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Pinto View Post
Hi, in my previous Denon AVR-4400H, i could play my stereo in a 2.1 config (using my sub)

In the RX-A3080, I only see 2 channel and 9 channel stereo . Is there way to enable 2channel stereo to use the subwoofer effectively making it 2.1

Thanks
You have four ways to accomplish having your subwoofer(s) active during 2-channel playback, in order of preference:
(1) Set your mains to small and use an appropriate crossover value. The speakers and subwoofers will play together in 2-channel mode or straight mode blended at the crossover frequency.
(2) Turn "Extra Bass", which will copy the low frequency information sent to the mains and send it to the subwoofers. The speakers and subwoofers will play together in 2-channel mode or straight mode with both active and outputting low frequencies (which might result in too much bass).
(3) Listen with an upmixer active: Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU), or Neural:X. This will result in all your speakers being active during music playback.
(4) If your subwoofer has both LFE and mains inputs, then wire both the mains and the LFE preamp outputs from the AVR to your subwoofers. Adjust your subwoofer crossover frequency (the control on the subwoofers themselves) to whatever sounds best. This will cause the subwoofers to play both the LFE input and the audio from the mains. It will work like option 2: except the subwoofers will be active even though the AVR will only show 2.0 output.

Main: Marantz AV8805, 5x Behringer NX4-6000, Epson 6050UB, Stewart Greyhawk 120", LG C8 65", DISH H3, Panasonic UB820, ATV4k, FTV4k, 7.2.6+2: DefTech BP2000, CLR2000, Di 5.5BPS, UIW BPZ/A, Di 8R, M&K MX-125. Bedroom: Yamaha RX-A3070, LG C8 55", DISH 4k Joey, FTV4k, 5.1.4: DT RCS II, RSS II, IW Sub Ref. Basement: Yamaha RX-A3040, 3x Marantz MA700U, Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Panasonic P65VT50, 6.1: DT BP2000, CLR2000, Di 6.5R
post #1749 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Rereading this, I am inclined to "call 'BS'" on this. I have a 1gen conventional CC plugged into my AVR, always on, no issues. It could be that they "recommend" plugging the CC Ultra directly into the display device, but it should make zero difference except perhaps for HDMI-CEC issues (my CC never turns on the AVR it's plugged into, ONLY the TV on the AVR output).

I suppose if we take Google at their word, then you have to plug the CC Ultra into your display, and use HDMI-ARC, eARC, or SPDIF to feed audio back to the AVR. Pffft! Out of luck if your PROJECTOR doesn't support this. (And this is why I call BS.) Chromecasts are also about audio, particularly since the bargain basement Chromecast Audio has been discontinued in favor of adding newer Chromecasts to speaker groups for multi-room music casting. The Chromecast Ultra should NOT be just for display devices.
I agree that Google's stance on this is a cop out. It's just a way to avoid offering support on their device that should work just fine when connecting it to TV, projector, AVR, soundbar or whatever. FWIW, I too have a non-4k version Chromecast plugged into another Yamaha AVR system too. Works great.

Quote:
Does the Amazon Fire TV have the same limitation?!"
Well, Amazon may claim it has the same issues, but I've not needed to check with them because the 4k Fire TV I have runs fine on the same system that the Chromecast Ultra doesn't.

Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #1750 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 67
uhhhh please tell me those are not the new Yammie line..... ugly.. ugh I love the way they (usually) look and they always sound great (hopefully still do ) but ugh.. I think I am going to upgrade my A5000 to a 5200 but no way a 5300 if it looks like that LOL!!

post #1751 of 1781 Old 01-12-2020, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Pictures of the new 2020 line seem very ugly.
May be I will have to buy a Axx80 when they will be discounted.
If not HDMI 2.1 will be with another brand.
post #1752 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I agree that Google's stance on this is a cop out. It's just a way to avoid offering support on their device that should work just fine when connecting it to TV, projector, AVR, soundbar or whatever. FWIW, I too have a non-4k version Chromecast plugged into another Yamaha AVR system too. Works great.

Well, Amazon may claim it has the same issues, but I've not needed to check with them because the 4k Fire TV I have runs fine on the same system that the Chromecast Ultra doesn't.
I looked at your system pix. Your not allowing for ventilation of your 1080. Mine runs quite warm at moderate to high volume. Yamaha suggests 8"-10" clearance.
post #1753 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maur53 View Post
I looked at your system pix. Your not allowing for ventilation of your 1080. Mine runs quite warm at moderate to high volume. Yamaha suggests 8"-10" clearance.

Thank you for your concern.

I view that clearance recommendation as needed when it’s in a closed or mostly enclosed space. Since my 1080 is sitting on a wire mesh shelf, in a very large AV closet, with a lot of space on every side except for the 5-disk CD player on top of it with about 1-1.5” clearance there, i think that it has more than sufficient ventilation. I’ve felt the relative temperature of the 1080 after several hours of operation and it’s not very warm. I think I’m good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1754 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
You have four ways to accomplish having your subwoofer(s) active during 2-channel playback, in order of preference:
(1) Set your mains to small and use an appropriate crossover value. The speakers and subwoofers will play together in 2-channel mode or straight mode blended at the crossover frequency.
(2) Turn "Extra Bass", which will copy the low frequency information sent to the mains and send it to the subwoofers. The speakers and subwoofers will play together in 2-channel mode or straight mode with both active and outputting low frequencies (which might result in too much bass).
(3) Listen with an upmixer active: Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU), or Neural:X. This will result in all your speakers being active during music playback.
(4) If your subwoofer has both LFE and mains inputs, then wire both the mains and the LFE preamp outputs from the AVR to your subwoofers. Adjust your subwoofer crossover frequency (the control on the subwoofers themselves) to whatever sounds best. This will cause the subwoofers to play both the LFE input and the audio from the mains. It will work like option 2: except the subwoofers will be active even though the AVR will only show 2.0 output.
Thank you. I will try Option 1 and 2. Option 3 is not stereo. Option 4 i can't do due to the wiring limitations. I do wish Yamaha kept it simple like the Denon. For Option 1, my fronts crossover at 60Hz (B&W 604s), Subwoofer crossover is set to 80Hz. All speakers changed to small after YPAO. Should that work?
post #1755 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hardly ever touch my receiver once it’s in place. I would prefer the front panel to not have any knobs or buttons with the exception of a small power button, only have a digital display.
post #1756 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I do wish Yamaha kept it simple like the Denon.
I own both Denon/Marantz and Yamaha and this is accomplished the same way on AVRs from both manufacturers.

Quote:
For Option 1, my fronts crossover at 60Hz (B&W 604s), Subwoofer crossover is set to 80Hz. All speakers changed to small after YPAO. Should that work?
So, in the Yamaha AVR settings you have your fronts set to small and the crossover frequency set to 60Hz, and the subwoofer preamp out of the AVR connected to your subwoofer's LFE in.

If that's the case, then the subwoofer's own crossover dial should be bypassed. But, in case it's not you should disable the crossover on your subwoofer, or if you can't bypass it then turn it all the way up to its highest frequency. Using it will add an additional roll-off of high frequencies beyond what the AVR is doing, and also roll off LFE effects channels in movies (which can go up to 120Hz). Both are undesirable.

And yes, the way you've got it setup, using a 2-channel source, and 2-channel stereo or straight mode will result in 2.1 playback. Pure Direct mode will still disable the subwoofer though.

post #1757 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread

Finally time for me to upgrade later this year!
When does Yamaha release new AVRs, in the Fall?

Edit: sorry I’m LTTP!

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1578904789

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #1758 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No image on PT-AT6000E beamer from Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver

Hello there,

This is my very first post on the forum and i hope somebody can shed a light on this puzzle.
I recently switched from an RX-A3010 to an RX-A2080 for our home theatre setup.
We are using a Panasonic PT-AT6000E projector and a Raspberry Pi with Kodi as a source. All cables are HDMI.

Untill now, i've been unable to get a picture from the RX-A2080 on the projector. It worked perfectly before on the RX-A3010.
I've now narrowed it down to a setttings problem on the RX-A2080, but i can't figure it out...

Ruled out: the raspberry pi connected directly to the projector gives a perfect image.
All the HDMI cables work fine.
The raspberry pi passing video through the RX-A2080 to a random computer LCD monitor gives a perfect image.
When the monitor is connected, you can select HDMI off, 1 or 2, 1+2 and the red HDMI lights light up.
When the projector is connected, you can still select the HDMI out options, but only the red HMDI IN light lights up, none of the OUT lights, and there is no image from the beamer.

I have also tried to switch the HDMI control setting on the RX-A2080 ON or OFF but it does not seem to make a difference....

I'm a bit out of ideas right now, i'm pretty sure it must be a setting on the RX-A2080 but i can't figure it out....

Is there anybody that can help?

thanks a lot in advance,
Geert
post #1759 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

My A3080 stopped playing sounds from spotify or bluetooth today, audio from hdmi input or tuner works just fine, any ideas?

Thanks
post #1760 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Thank you for your concern.

I view that clearance recommendation as needed when it’s in a closed or mostly enclosed space. Since my 1080 is sitting on a wire mesh shelf, in a very large AV closet, with a lot of space on every side except for the 5-disk CD player on top of it with about 1-1.5” clearance there, i think that it has more than sufficient ventilation. I’ve felt the relative temperature of the 1080 after several hours of operation and it’s not very warm. I think I’m good.
Not enough IMHO. Your "hand touch" test may seem fine, but heat rises so that warm air the AVR is trying to vent out is going right up to the disk player, perhaps stagnating, perhaps acting like a disc-player-stove. I'd put some foam blocks or something under the disc player's feet for more than 1" of space. Just my 2¢.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post
uhhhh please tell me those are not the new Yammie line..... ugly.. ugh I love the way they (usually) look and they always sound great (hopefully still do ) but ugh.. I think I am going to upgrade my A5000 to a 5200 but no way a 5300 if it looks like that LOL!!

Mine is behind a glass panel. It can have a My Little Pony on the front for all I care. (Well,… But you get the gist.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanej View Post
Hello,

My A3080 stopped playing sounds from spotify or bluetooth today, audio from hdmi input or tuner works just fine, any ideas?
No. More info might help....

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #1761 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No. More info might help....
It happened playing a song, when I play something via HDMI or tuner I can see the icons for all the speakers on the bottom-right corner, but when I try to play a song from spotify there are no icons although I can see the song title, same for bluetooth
post #1762 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not enough IMHO. Your "hand touch" test may seem fine, but heat rises so that warm air the AVR is trying to vent out is going right up to the disk player, perhaps stagnating, perhaps acting like a disc-player-stove. I'd put some foam blocks or something under the disc player's feet for more than 1" of space. Just my 2¢.

I am aware that heat rises. Based on your earlier comment, I’m also aware that you disagree with my understanding with Yamaha’s recommendation regarding cooling distances is based on being in an enclosed area. All I can say is that I’ve never had any issues with the application of my understanding over several (7?) Yamaha AVRs.

Appreciate the conversation.

post #1763 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshtnut View Post
I hardly ever touch my receiver once it’s in place. I would prefer the front panel to not have any knobs or buttons with the exception of a small power button, only have a digital display.
Well, I guess I'm just too old school. I like my receivers to be able to be controlled from the front panel. I literally despise the shift to having to use a stupid mobile phone to control stuff. I have never been fond of phones (even back in the '50s when we had only one in our house and it was a party line with about 5 other families using the same line). I do use Philips Pronto TSU9400 universal remotes for most of my systems, but they have physical buttons for the primary operations.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #1764 of 1781 Old 01-13-2020, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Well, I guess I'm just too old school. I like my receivers to be able to be controlled from the front panel. I literally despise the shift to having to use a stupid mobile phone to control stuff. I have never been fond of phones (even back in the '50s when we had only one in our house and it was a party line with about 5 other families using the same line). I do use Philips Pronto TSU9400 universal remotes for most of my systems, but they have physical buttons for the primary operations.
Party lines-That's funny. I'll bet only people here that are over 60 even know what that was!
ChromeJob likes this.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #1765 of 1781 Old 01-14-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7019 Post(s)
Liked: 7036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2018 View Post
I’ve called around 7 Yamaha dealers around me in a span of 200kms radius and no one has stock of the xx80 models. They’re all showing ETAs of February for new inventory.

Wonder what’s in store! I’m assuming Chassis design change (or atleast front plate change) will occur with x1xx series change. Unless they skip the 3090 and jump into the 2020 models with x1xx
I take it you are not in the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2018 View Post
I was about to say the same. I’m not liking them much, they look more Samsung and Harmon kardons for the looks.
Wow, go back to the old way
post #1766 of 1781 Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi I'm having problems with my 2080. Two problems actually that might be related.

The first was not being able to access Amazon Music via the MusicCast app. I'm not able to get to the log in screen as an Access Error occurs. (I can, however, play amazon music on my network-connected PC and via my Amazon box connected to the amp) I've tried other services via Music Cast ie Tindel and that works fine I can log in and playback with no problem. Following an email exchange with Yamaha support, they suggested I change the units DNS servers which I did. But still no luck in connecting. I changed them back to the google ones that I was using before (which I seem to remember reading about earlier in this thread). I still can't connect to Amazon Music. Now another issue has occurred - this time with Net Radio. Before I changed the DNS servers I had no issues with net radio playback but now all the radio stations I have tried play for about 25 seconds then cut off with an access error. After a further 20 seconds or so they restart only to drop out again. The amp is connected via cable, not wifi.

So is it my router at fault and worth replacing? It's a NetGear N600 DGND3700, which must be a few years old now. Or am I doing something wrong with the DNS settings? Should they, for example, be the same as the ones set in the router?

I've benefited a lot from this forum so am hopeful someone can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200107_141558861_iOS.png
Views:	33
Size:	687.3 KB
ID:	2670226  
post #1767 of 1781 Old 01-15-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
I own both Denon/Marantz and Yamaha and this is accomplished the same way on AVRs from both manufacturers.

So, in the Yamaha AVR settings you have your fronts set to small and the crossover frequency set to 60Hz, and the subwoofer preamp out of the AVR connected to your subwoofer's LFE in.

If that's the case, then the subwoofer's own crossover dial should be bypassed. But, in case it's not you should disable the crossover on your subwoofer, or if you can't bypass it then turn it all the way up to its highest frequency. Using it will add an additional roll-off of high frequencies beyond what the AVR is doing, and also roll off LFE effects channels in movies (which can go up to 120Hz). Both are undesirable.

And yes, the way you've got it setup, using a 2-channel source, and 2-channel stereo or straight mode will result in 2.1 playback. Pure Direct mode will still disable the subwoofer though.
Thank you. Option 1 worked. Now, when i play 2 channel, it uses the SW and shows the 3 peakers in use on the display.
post #1768 of 1781 Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
How front/rear subwoofers map to subwoofer 1 and 2

Just got RX-A3080. Subwoofers pre-outs on the back panel are marked as front and rear but with monoaural x2 layout they are shown in speaker configuration as subwoofer 1 and 2. Any idea how these are mapped to front/rear on the back panel? I am tempted to say that subwoofer 1 is front and subwoofer 2 is rear but would like to be sure.
post #1769 of 1781 Old 01-18-2020, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Useful tips and tricks for setting up rx-a3080?

I have made a considerable jump from tsr-7850 to rx-a3080, and it is a bit of a different beast. I wonder if there is a nice summary of useful tips and tricks for setting up rx-a3080. I did multiple searches but can't find a good guide, only bits and pieces, not really enough to feel comfortable that I set it up to its full potential. I did run YPAO and tinkered with results. It was quite a bit different than experience with YPAO on tsr-7850. For one, I got a report about reverse polarity on a speaker and every time i would re-run YPAO, I would get a reverse polarity report either on the same speaker or on a different one or on several at once. That was a first for me. I do know that electrically the speakers are connected correctly, and they sound fine so I ignored it but it was not a big nice welcome I was hoping for :-).

How does Surround: AI figure into YPAO? On tsr-7850 I got good sound after running YPAO. On rx-a3080, the sound is even better... but only if Surround:AI is On. If I turn it Off, the sound is markedly worse. And markedly worse than with tsr-7850. I could see Surround:AI making good sound better but I feel like I should get good sound with it Off, too. Am I doing something wrong here? Some advice is welcome.

One other thing that I can't resolve in my head so far. I played The Incredible Hulk on my Apple TV 4K, and it was the only film so far when I had to go above 0 db level to get sound close to what I'd like to hear. With any other programming I'd be deaf at this level (I rarely go above -15 db). I run YPAO at -24 so by -15 everything is pretty loud. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

All in all I can't escape the feeling that I haven't set the receiver up quite correctly but I don't know where I may have gone wrong and where to look for correction. That's why I feel such a need for a nice guide to how set up your rx-a3080 to sound its very best :-).

Help :-)?
post #1770 of 1781 Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wine.scribbler View Post
Hi I'm having problems with my 2080. Two problems actually that might be related.

The first was not being able to access Amazon Music via the MusicCast app. I'm not able to get to the log in screen as an Access Error occurs. (I can, however, play amazon music on my network-connected PC and via my Amazon box connected to the amp) I've tried other services via Music Cast ie Tindel and that works fine I can log in and playback with no problem. Following an email exchange with Yamaha support, they suggested I change the units DNS servers which I did. But still no luck in connecting. I changed them back to the google ones that I was using before (which I seem to remember reading about earlier in this thread). I still can't connect to Amazon Music. Now another issue has occurred - this time with Net Radio. Before I changed the DNS servers I had no issues with net radio playback but now all the radio stations I have tried play for about 25 seconds then cut off with an access error. After a further 20 seconds or so they restart only to drop out again. The amp is connected via cable, not wifi.

So is it my router at fault and worth replacing? It's a NetGear N600 DGND3700, which must be a few years old now. Or am I doing something wrong with the DNS settings? Should they, for example, be the same as the ones set in the router?

I've benefited a lot from this forum so am hopeful someone can help.
Hi there!
Even if I don't have either Amazon Music or Tidal on my RX-A20280, I still have and use Net Radio (which works fine, BTW), so I think I could give you some ideas to try at least.

Therefore, presumably your other devices (PC and Box) that you can use for Amazon Music, have the IP settings getting automatically set from the router, right? Then I would say just try this on the Yamaha too.

Meaning:
1. set the router itself with the DHCP for the IP settings that you receive from Internet Provider (including the DNS, so no altering in any way with different DNS's or VPN's or whatever else)
2. set the IP settings on the Yamaha also as DHCP from your router, via cable as you mentioned (as I consider the best)
3. reset Yamaha completely after at least 1 minute of having changed the IP settings (power off, and pull the power cable out for at least 2-3 minutes, better 5 minutes)
4. re-power and try it
5. let us know the results

Yet, I'm not completely sure what you meant by using MusicCast app, since I use only (and exclusively) use the Yamaha AV Controller app, and I have all settings and controls there, including selecting the source (like Tidal, Amazon, NetRadio, etc.). Can somehow this be your issue, actually?

Also would be great if you would specify if you have the latest firmware on Yamaha or not (if not yet, please DO NOT du update just now, first let's figure out with the above settings and then you can upgrade too, especially if still not working).

BTW, I also presume any other audio programs and sources you use with your Yamaha works well, no problems there too, like for example clipping or sudden shut off of the unit, right?

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth headphones , yamaha 1080

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page