How to test Subwoofer output......... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2018, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 846
How to test Subwoofer output.........

How can i test the subwoofer output on my receiver if I do not currently have a subwoofer?

My sub got toasted (RIP) in a nasty lightning storm. I mean it got blasted. The smell from this thing was sickening. (Yes, it was on a surge protector/conditioner).

My receiver and all my other gear is working fine. So the hunt begins for a new sub.

I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with the sub output jack on my receiver. But I would love some reassurance. Is there a way
I could check the output? Maybe using a volt/ohm meter or something else?

Any suggestions?

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-203 Blu Ray, Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo RZ-900 Receiver (7.1 Config)
Klipsch R28F, RC64ii, RS400, RB600, R-12SW Sub
Mac Mini/PS3/Wii, Harmony Smart Control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2018, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The receiver sub-woofer output is line level. So to test you could connect to a line level input (e.g., Aux) of a separate amplifier and listen through headphones or speakers that can handle low bass frequencies while playing something with low bass content through the receiver you are testing. If you don't have another amplifier, alternatives would be to connect to an oscilloscope or voltmeter set to AC 0-1V or 0-10V and check for a reading.

Could also test by connecting to the line level input of a laptop or PC, but would require an adapter to go from RCA coax connector to 3.5 mm phono plug.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 10-07-2018 at 08:25 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Unless you get real whole-house surge protector designed to protect against lightning strikes, you won't be protected from them. Typical surge 'protectors' and power conditioners (what a scam, it's just rack decoration) won't do a thing about lightning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-08-2018, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
The receiver sub-woofer output is line level. So to test you could connect to a line level input (e.g., Aux) of a separate amplifier and listen through headphones or speakers that can handle low bass frequencies while playing something with low bass content through the receiver you are testing. If you don't have another amplifier, alternatives would be to connect to an oscilloscope or voltmeter set to AC 0-1V or 0-10V and check for a reading.

Could also test by connecting to the line level input of a laptop or PC, but would require an adapter to go from RCA coax connector to 3.5 mm phono plug.
Thanks for the suggestion, will try the volt meter later today.

post #5 of 6 Old 10-08-2018, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
Unless you get real whole-house surge protector designed to protect against lightning strikes, you won't be protected from them. Typical surge 'protectors' and power conditioners (what a scam, it's just rack decoration) won't do a thing about lightning.
I agree. In my line of work I see it often. Customers often ask me how to stop it. I tell them you can't. All you can do is try to put the odds more in your favor.

I have even seen the "whole house" solutions fail to stop it. The solutions offered by the power company's themselves here in Florida (considered the lightning capital) seem to help ($$$), but the power company will only pay out if you lose an appliance like a stove, washing machine, hot water heater, etc. They will not pay out for anything electronic like tv's, audio equipment, computers.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2018, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1967 View Post
I agree. In my line of work I see it often. Customers often ask me how to stop it. I tell them you can't. All you can do is try to put the odds more in your favor.

I have even seen the "whole house" solutions fail to stop it. The solutions offered by the power company's themselves here in Florida (considered the lightning capital) seem to help ($$$), but the power company will only pay out if you lose an appliance like a stove, washing machine, hot water heater, etc. They will not pay out for anything electronic like tv's, audio equipment, computers.
Yeah. I have a whole house surge protector as well as individual protectors for my AV gear and computers. But didn't stop a series of surges from apparently taking out my Yamaha RX-V777's digital i/o board. When there is power outage here (all too frequent) due to downed line, or whatever, the utility's breakers will often try to reset two or three times, so power is off, on, off, on, off, on. Just lovely for electronics and appliances. Maybe these surges also came in through my ISP's feed. However nothing else failed, so I suppose could just have been a weak component in the Yamaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page