Does anyone make a compact, 2 channel receiver/amp? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DS-21

post #1 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone make a compact, 2 channel receiver/amp?

Folks:

My wife really enjoys our 2 channel configuration in our kitchen/living room area. She listens to streaming music quite often from her iPhone (Amazon music, Apple Music, etc). The config is two 4 ohm monitor speakers of very high quality connected a Denon 8 AV Receiver. Unfortunately, she wants to change the configuration of the room--but keep the speakers and the audio they produce. So that means I need to find a smaller receiver than the large, 17 inch wide and very deep Denon AV unit. This receiver is large and heavy, as most multi-channel AV Receivers are. It would support a theater room and I clearly only need a receiver to support 2 channel audio as we do not connect this system to anything else. We don't even need AM/FM. I currently use an Apple Airport Express router to push signal Optical Digital in port to stream music.

Any suggestions of what I should search for? Do any such devices exist? When I speak of compact, I would say that the 17 inch wide Denon wouldn't fit in many slim or smaller table stands she is thinking of. So maybe something between 8 to 12 inches--if that even exists.

I'm so new to such an offering/area that I thought I would reach out first.

Thx.

TKH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 412
This is probably what you are looking for but the only issue is that it is rated at 6 ohm's and not sure it will handle 4 ohm speakers. Might want to ask Adorama guys.

https://www.adorama.com/yacrx332bl.h...SABEgJxwPD_BwE

Another more expensive unit but does handle 4 ohms.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/teac-re...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
post #3 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
This is probably what you are looking for but the only issue is that it is rated at 6 ohm's and not sure it will handle 4 ohm speakers. Might want to ask Adorama guys.

https://www.adorama.com/yacrx332bl.h...SABEgJxwPD_BwE

Another more expensive unit but does handle 4 ohms.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/teac-re...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Teac idea in that it would record a great deal of audio. Wife would like to play her top 10 albums just via the device and not have to use her phone. Only downside is it does NOT have Optical Digital Audio Inputs. I think I would like one of those to allow for streaming devices to connect. That said, this is a solid start. Thx again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
A bit of an overkill with 100-w/ch [REAL, low distortion Watts]....and Bluetooth Receiver so you can Stream from an iPhone [includes Power Supply Module]:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BQC7GNL [19-VDC Power Supply means ~80-w/ch]

Above uses Texas Inst. TPA3116 Class D Amplifier Chip PAIRS in Push-Pull configuration on each channel, whereas the fol. use just ONE Chip:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slos708g/slos708g.pdf [Fig 8 shows 50-w/ch into 4-ohms with low distortion for 24-VDC...and 15-w/ch for 12-VDC]

These less expensive Amps [ with Bluetooth Receiver] use just ONE TPA3116 Chip to provide 50-w/ch into 4-ohms with low distortion [includes Power Supply Module]:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Aud.../dp/B076XSBCCL [19-VDC Power Supply means ~40-w/ch]
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Aud.../dp/B07C2MC9TK[12-VDC Power Supply means 15-w/ch]
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Bluet.../dp/B072Q157FY[12-VDC Power Supply means 15-w/ch]

Last edited by holl_ands; 10-07-2018 at 12:46 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Yamaha WXA-50 MusicCast Wireless Streaming Amplifier
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...ast/index.html

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #6 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Marantz M-CR510

Crutchfield wireless

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #7 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 130
New Amp | Sonos

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #8 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Use your AirPort Express with an analog cable, and pick up a Parasound Zamp or similar for power.
head_unit likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #9 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5338 Post(s)
Liked: 3850
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKHanson View Post
Do any such devices exist?
With the same quality, power, and features (but 2 ch. and not needing an internal tuner)? No.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 306
It sounds like this is probably what you are looking for but right now its only on preorder

https://www.svsound.com/products/pri...less-soundbase
post #11 of 16 Old 10-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Depending on your power requirements, what about a simple 2-channel AMP? It has optical, coaxial/subwoofer output, USB and Bluetooth with a remote https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amp...70_&dpSrc=srch
post #12 of 16 Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Most of the inexpensive chip-amp based units work with a WIDE range of input voltage and really shine when fed 20-40v from a capable power supply. I'd pick one with the capabilities you're looking for that doesn't come with a power supply, then separately buy a quality 36v 100w power supply.

Also, do you currently have any smart home infrastructure or integration? Sounds like the perfect system to be driven by a Google Home Mini, Amazon Echo Dot, Chromecast Audio, etc.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2018, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Most of the inexpensive chip-amp based units work with a WIDE range of input voltage and really shine when fed 20-40v from a capable power supply. I'd pick one with the capabilities you're looking for that doesn't come with a power supply, then separately buy a quality 36v 100w power supply.

Also, do you currently have any smart home infrastructure or integration? Sounds like the perfect system to be driven by a Google Home Mini, Amazon Echo Dot, Chromecast Audio, etc.

So I don't have a google home mini nor echo dot. I limit smart home to just thermostat, to be honest.

Can you tell me, Stephen, a bit about these chip-amp based units? Give me some examples of such. Curious.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-09-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Pretty much all of the amplifiers listed above (save for probably the Yamaha, Marantz, and maybe the TEAC) are chip-amps. Anywhere you see "TI Chips" listed, it's an amplifier-on-a-chip device. The biggest differences from one to the next are what chips, how many, and in what configuration, as well as the power supply voltage/current/wattage. Quality Control and build quality can also vary, so I'd probably order from Amazon and not from eBay (especially from China). They could all be driven by your Airport Express without any change to how you interact with it, simply eliminating the large AVR.

For this application, especially since WAF is a big part of it, I'd strongly consider one of the more basic amps above driven by either a Google Home Mini (if the speaker has Bluetooth... if it doesn't, the addition of a Chromecast Audio or inexpensive Bluetooth receiver fixes that) or Echo Dot (which can be connected over 3.5mm to either 3.5mm or Stereo RCA). This method allows you to consider only what amplification you want/need without the need to consider UI, storage, etc. The device can be driven either purely by voice, or through your phone (either via casting or as a basic Bluetooth speaker) if desired as well.

The ability to say "Hey Google, play Cooking Playlist on Spotify" or "Hey Google, play the news" is a bit of a game changer and can likely integrate with your thermostats as well. I honestly listen to way more music and other content around the kitchen than I EVER did before, just due to the ease of use of voice control (compared to having to drive a Bluetooth speaker from my phone). The biggest drawback would be the lack of voice access to Apple Music, depending on how much you rely on that... though it can still be driven from your phone through Bluetooth, similar to how you currently do through the Airport Express. You also open up the ability to easily/cheaply expand into Sonos-style whole home audio through the addition of Google/Alexa devices in other rooms. You can set up groups of speakers and, for example, say "Hey Google, play Party Mix on Spotify on the First Floor" or "Hey Google, play Cleaning Mix on Spotify everywhere".

If you like the idea of working with an Echo but don't want a more purpose-built and higher-quality combination, maybe wait for the Echo Link Amplifier that Amazon is releasing. To me, it seems pricey for what it is but I expect it to be a quality piece of equipment and integrate with the Echo ecosystem extremely smoothly. You'll still need an Echo Dot to receive your voice directions, but you could probably save a few dollars and get an older second-gen since you won't need the improved sound quality of the third-gen.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #15 of 16 Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
I am considering the marantz network receivers which are reasonable size and power, can be used as a 5.1 or 7.1 if needed, and have airplay 2 built in. They also give you the advantage of some room correction stuff.

Blazar!
post #16 of 16 Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKHanson View Post
I currently use an Apple Airport Express router to push signal Optical Digital in port to stream music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Use your AirPort Express with an analog cable, and pick up a Parasound Zamp or similar for power.
Stereophile tested that https://www.stereophile.com/digitalp...ple/index.html
and the DAC is good but not as good as something like
https://www.psaudio.com/products/spr...ted-amplifier/
which could fit your need for something compact but very nice. Do NOT get the original Sprout, it has NONDEFEATABLE huge 70 Hz boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page