* Need Help - Best Sounding/Most Musical Surround Receiver under $750? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
* Need Help - Best Sounding/Most Musical Surround Receiver under $750?

Hey All -- Could really use some good advice.

My Rotel RSX-965 Surround Receiver is now 18 years old. Yeah, I was kind of surprised myself when I stumbled upon the old receipt. Good Lord, where does the time go?

So I'm looking to replace it, with the caveat that whatever I get sounds FANTASTIC for straight-up 2-Channel music. I play a lot of FLAC and HI-RES stuff through my Oppo BDP-95 and time spent listening to music over playing Blu-Ray and other movie files is probably 5 to 1. Listening to music/audio alone is definitely a priority.

Could some kind members please recommend something in the $750 or under range? I've looked at a ton of "Best Of" lists, but when I read the Amazon reviews on a lot of their choices there are often 30% or more One Star reviews with all sorts of quality issues, etc. I'm sincerely hoping avsforum can point me in the right direction.

Cheers and many thanks for any help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsteiner View Post
Hey All -- Could really use some good advice.

My Rotel RSX-965 Surround Receiver is now 18 years old. Yeah, I was kind of surprised myself when I stumbled upon the old receipt. Good Lord, where does the time go?

So I'm looking to replace it, with the caveat that whatever I get sounds FANTASTIC for straight-up 2-Channel music. I play a lot of FLAC and HI-RES stuff through my Oppo BDP-95 and time spent listening to music over playing Blu-Ray and other movie files is probably 5 to 1. Listening to music/audio alone is definitely a priority.

Could some kind members please recommend something in the $750 or under range? I've looked at a ton of "Best Of" lists, but when I read the Amazon reviews on a lot of their choices there are often 30% or more One Star reviews with all sorts of quality issues, etc. I'm sincerely hoping avsforum can point me in the right direction.

Cheers and many thanks for any help in advance!
You're going to get mostly recommendations of what the poster owns and uses. So I'll go first with exactly that.

The Onkyo RZ820 $599, lots of power, doesn't run hot and can be set to pure direct- no processing, no sub etc... Crutchfield has a 60 day trial period.
Yellbean and sgtsteiner like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 852
I would say Marantz... because that is what I picked.

If you are running HDMI or USB look at what DAC is being used. If you use the Analog outs from the Oppo you should be able to use anything... as long as it's Marantz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-11-2018, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have any recommendations? Many thanks!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Receivers are built with mostly commodity electronic parts. The main "sound quality" difference is going to be the room-correction software. In this price range, your best bet in the Denon/Marantz lines is going to be a Denon X3400 on closeout (check the deals thread). It will have XT32 (the best version of Audyssey). Higher up the Denon/Marantz lines gets you more channel processing but not better room correction.

I am not that familiar with Onkyo or Yamaha room correct software, but that is going to be the big difference in the sound between these manufacturers in this price range. I don't think you can get into a DIRAC or Anthem-ARC capable receiver in this price range (but have not checked that closely).
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2018, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Receivers are built with mostly commodity electronic parts. The main "sound quality" difference is going to be the room-correction software. In this price range, your best bet in the Denon/Marantz lines is going to be a Denon X3400 on closeout (check the deals thread). It will have XT32 (the best version of Audyssey). Higher up the Denon/Marantz lines gets you more channel processing but not better room correction.

I am not that familiar with Onkyo or Yamaha room correct software, but that is going to be the big difference in the sound between these manufacturers in this price range. I don't think you can get into a DIRAC or Anthem-ARC capable receiver in this price range (but have not checked that closely).
Thanks @jjackkrash -- Interesting. One question I have is whether you have to use the room correction software or not? Is there someway to set things up normally without any sort of computerized assistance? Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page