"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 240Likes

post #571 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking to get this receiver. Does this receiver support 5.1.4 configuration? I am currently on 5.1.2 and would like to get to 5.1.4 in the future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemulasri View Post
I am looking to get this receiver. Does this receiver support 5.1.4 configuration? I am currently on 5.1.2 and would like to get to 5.1.4 in the future?
I have the TSR 7850 and according to the manual from what I'm seeing it doesn't support 5.1.4.
timkeller likes this.
post #573 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy61 View Post
I have the TSR 7850 and according to the manual from what I'm seeing it doesn't support 5.1.4.
Thank you. Any recommendations for 5.1.4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4672 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkeller View Post
Is the Yamaha TSR-7850 and exclusive Costco only line that Yamaha makes for Costco? Also, how does that receiver compare to their AVENTAGE series with the same number of inputs? By spending the extra money, do you get a MUCH BETTER receiver by going to their AVENTAGE series?
According to Yamaha, Aventage AVRs are "upscale" and have better performance. According to me they cost more and give you a 3 yr warranty instead of 2, when bought from an authorized dealer, however they don't "sound" better. That's my 2 cents.

I don't think Costco is the only dealer for the TSR-7850, by the way. I bought my similar TSR-7810, last year's version, off another dealer on ebay.
timkeller likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #575 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I went through the manual and searching for 7.1 Stereo this was the only answer:
"Use this program to output sound from all speakers. When you play back
multichannel sources, the unit mixes down the source to 2 channels, and
then outputs the sound from all speakers. This program creates a larger
sound field and is ideal for background music at parties."

I didn't see any "menu". BTW, I set 7.1 Stereo with the Music button on my Yamaha and it sounds great.
I feel like an idiot. The sound from the center speaker was incredibly bad. It sounded muffled, or hollow or something. I couldn't quite describe it. I finally realized it was crackling on higher pitched speech. I swapped the center for one of my rear speakers and it was coming in clearly. The reason I thought the 7.1ch setting fixed it was because the sound was suddenly coming through the other front speakers and I wasn't hearing the center anymore.

I returned my original center and the replacement sounds great.
post #576 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
This company only sells factory refurbished units, with one year warranties. I give the link because of their useful search function. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?number_channels[]=9&home_audio_key[]=HDR&home_audio_key[]=hdcp22

You can get a brand new Denon AVR-X4400H (2017 model) at closeout pricing from the large Internet sellers (Amazon, Crutchfield, etc.) It's a 9 channel AVR. It also processes 11 channels, so it can be expanded to 7.2.4 Atmos by adding an inexpensive external stereo amp.

(I'm biased. I own its 2016 ancestor, the AVR-X4300H.)
ChromeJob likes this.
post #577 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
This company only sells factory refurbished units, with one year warranties. I give the link because of their useful search function. https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...y[]=hdcp22

You can get a brand new Denon AVR-X4400H (2017 model) at closeout pricing from the large Internet sellers (Amazon, Crutchfield, etc.) It's a 9 channel AVR. It also processes 11 channels, so it can be expanded to 7.2.4 Atmos by adding an inexpensive external stereo amp.

(I'm biased. I own its 2016 ancestor, the AVR-X4300H.)

Thank you. I have been using onkyo for the last 11 years and may be I will go with NR787. Would have been good if I bought the RZ830 when it was on sale last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #578 of 952 Old 03-07-2019, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
In the Yamaha world, you'd be shopping for an RX-A2080 or RX-A3080, their flagship 9.2 channel receivers. Here's the thread for those AVRs:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...vr-thread.html

... Or the RX-V2085. Yamaha product info pages:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...mps/index.html

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #579 of 952 Old 03-08-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 9
OK, so two weeks with my RX-V685 (and first receiver ever) and getting the hang of it (by reading and experimenting 24/7 basically) A big thanks to ChromeJob by the way, you are such a help - I have like 20 of your posts in a file for future reference. You should get paid for this, really

Anyway, I am currently in the process of setting audio decoding for my main 4 scenes. I've generally figured out my PC (movies via VLC player) should be "straight" (HDMI audio only, no sound card involved). Also "straight" for my PS4 scene (yet to decide on PCM vs bitstream). And my tuner scene will be set per preference, currently 7-channel stereo DSP.

However my TV scene's audio doesn't make sense. I'd like to keep it at "Auto surround" because it works nice with cable channels with a lot of talking, etc. Based on reading here and on other places I was under the impression that if I use "auto surround" DSP and switch to a movie (a TV channel or streaming app - Netflix or HBO) which has native 5.1 channels, the receiver will detect that and automatically turn off the processing and allow the native 5.1 channels to play in "straight" mode. However when testing on Netflix this doesn't seem to be the case. Dark Knight sounds much different (and better) in "straight", compared to "auto surround". Yet to test this on a cable movie channel, but am I wrong to assume "auto surround" DSP will detect and pass through native 5.1 channels unprocessed?

Cheers

P.S. How do you do a multi-position YPAO set-up without having such an option in the menu at all? If I make several consecutive measurements based on this article (https://simpleonline.blog/2017/05/23...the-right-way/) and only my latest measurement is stored in terms of distance, levels, etc. It doesn't make sense, maybe this range of receivers can't do it?
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by lyubohar; 03-08-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #580 of 952 Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

(Blush, and deep bow.)

My older AVR model would switch from Sur Decode to Straight based on incoming audio content, but with the replacement of Dolby PL II decoder with Dolby Surround upmixer, this behavior may’ve changed. I haven’t played with a live *85, sorry.

The multi-position YPAO is a feature on some of the higher models, check the Yamaha product page & specs.
lyubohar likes this.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #581 of 952 Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM

Thanks. I'll dig a bit more on the surround upmixer topic.

Regarding YPAO - it doesn't say specifically if it's single or multi-position, but no "multi" option is available for sure, so I guess it's single-position. Higher tier models mention "multi-positioning" indeed.

On the other hand when I read about this on the internet it sounds as if multi-positioning is something you can do with any receiver by (and this is only my assumption) just repeating the procedure so that the receiver collects a lot of samples. But it wouldn't work since only the latest one is taken into account.
post #582 of 952 Old 03-08-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dont’ believe everything you read on the Internet, always practice healthy skepticism and consider the source. (Including moi.)
lyubohar likes this.

post #583 of 952 Old 03-08-2019, 09:38 AM

You bet, mine is even unhealthy

PS4 Pro
post #584 of 952 Old 03-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Liked: 0
Random TV shutdown with Yamaha TSR-7850 and Xbox One X

I recently bought a TSR-7850 to connect my consoles, Xbox One X, PS4 and an Nvidia Shield TV to a Vizio P55-E1. I've been having this problem where I'm playing my xbox and after around 15-30 minutes the TV simply shuts off for no reason. If I connect the Xbox directly to the TV the issue disappears. I've tried also upgrading the firmware, on both the TV and the Receiver. I've tried plugging the receiver by using the ARC port and moving it to some other port and the problem persists. I know that I have experienced a few times a sudden short HDCP error message on my shield when using it with the TV. However, since using the receiver that issue seems to have gone away. I'm at a bit of a loss trying to figure out if it's an Xbox setting, a TV setting or a Receiver Setting even though when connecting the consoles directly to the TV I don't seem to have big issues.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
post #585 of 952 Old 03-10-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroryusan View Post
I recently bought a TSR-7850 to connect my consoles, Xbox One X, PS4 and an Nvidia Shield TV to a Vizio P55-E1. I've been having this problem where I'm playing my xbox and after around 15-30 minutes the TV simply shuts off for no reason. If I connect the Xbox directly to the TV the issue disappears. I've tried also upgrading the firmware, on both the TV and the Receiver. I've tried plugging the receiver by using the ARC port and moving it to some other port and the problem persists. I know that I have experienced a few times a sudden short HDCP error message on my shield when using it with the TV. However, since using the receiver that issue seems to have gone away. I'm at a bit of a loss trying to figure out if it's an Xbox setting, a TV setting or a Receiver Setting even though when connecting the consoles directly to the TV I don't seem to have big issues.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
When you unplugged the Xbox from the AVR and plugged into the TV, did you use the Xbox -> AVR HDMI cord? Or did you use the one AVR -> TV? Just to eliminate a problem with a faulty cable, change the cable under use when you plug the Xbox into the TV, perhaps the one you were NOT using when you tested the Xbox -> TV connection has a problem.

Is the Nvidia Shield connected through the AVR when you have the HDCP errors, or directly to the TV?

post #586 of 952 Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Yamaha TSR-7850 to Yamaha RX-A2080 ?

Is this can be significant upgrade or not really. With klipsch speakers 2 atmos in front 7.1.2 system.
Trying to value the differences, most important to me is the sound, other all things are secondary for me.
post #587 of 952 Old 03-12-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
Is this can be significant upgrade or not really. With klipsch speakers 2 atmos in front 7.1.2 system.
Trying to value the differences, most important to me is the sound, other all things are secondary for me.
There is almost never a firmware update that has anything to do with sound or power. They are almost always in regards to minor fixes to quirks in communication protocols to outboard devices.

One firmware to fear is one demanded by DOLBY which will limit the unit's ability to apply Dolby Upmixing to non-Dolby encoded material. I susect they will conceal it when it arrives by using super generic verbiage: "A firmware upgrade has been applied to correct a parameter protocol handshake designation acceptance token verification sensor manifestation device constraint application system standard connection interface integration, and other minor fixes"
Scarriere and lyubohar like this.
post #588 of 952 Old 03-12-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
One firmware to fear is one demanded by DOLBY which will limit the unit's ability to apply Dolby Upmixing to non-Dolby encoded material. I susect they will conceal it when it arrives by using super generic verbiage: "A firmware upgrade has been applied to correct a parameter protocol handshake designation acceptance token verification sensor manifestation device constraint application system standard connection interface integration, and other minor fixes"
My bet: "Stability improvement." Same old yada yada yada, that no one pays attention, no one scrutinizes it, totally under the radar.

post #589 of 952 Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can the 2085 stream from amazon music? Doesn't look like it.
post #590 of 952 Old 03-16-2019, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi! I'll be buying a new receiver in the near future and this one adjusts to what I'm looking for, but eArc is mandatory for me and all I read are promises of a firmware patch. When can we expect this firmware to arrive? Thanks!
post #591 of 952 Old 03-16-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkenobi View Post
Can the 2085 stream from amazon music? Doesn't look like it.
You'll need an AVR with Amazon Music built-in, or ... investigate a Fire TV Stick, see if that will stream Amazon Prime Music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vk Thor View Post
Hi! I'll be buying a new receiver in the near future and this one adjusts to what I'm looking for, but eArc is mandatory for me and all I read are promises of a firmware patch. When can we expect this firmware to arrive? Thanks!
Until Yamana announces, anything we say will be conjecture.

post #592 of 952 Old 03-16-2019, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vk Thor View Post
RX-V2085 hardware supports eARC; firmware implementing the protocols has been promised, w/no ETA. Bin file is common to RX-A3080/RX-V3085/RX-A2080/.. I'd be surprised if the update isn't available by the end of the 3rd quarter (sheer speculation).

Might not be relevant, but the RX-V2085 is onsale now for a really great price (50% below RX-A2080 retail). Check the 'Great Found Deals' thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-g...-receiver.html

Bought one myself to replace a non-HDCP 2.2 compliant RX-A2040. Have really been enjoying the Surround: AI functionality (simple 5.2.2 speaker layout)
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by scotthal; 03-16-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #593 of 952 Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I recently got the TSR 7850 and have been upgrading the rest of my home theatre elements over the past couple weeks. Today I added the Pioneer SP-C22 center channel to my 5.1.2 system. Its the match to my L and R Andre Jones upfiring Atmos speakers that I've loved.

I re-ran the setup with the microphone, and I saved it. I was hoping the new speaker would add clarity to dialogue. It sort of does, but the problem is the new center speaker sounds really "big" almost like voices, esp bass male voices, are in a cave. Are there any settings I should adjust.
post #594 of 952 Old 03-18-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
I recently got the TSR 7850 and have been upgrading the rest of my home theatre elements over the past couple weeks. Today I added the Pioneer SP-C22 center channel to my 5.1.2 system. Its the match to my L and R Andre Jones upfiring Atmos speakers that I've loved.

I re-ran the setup with the microphone, and I saved it. I was hoping the new speaker would add clarity to dialogue. It sort of does, but the problem is the new center speaker sounds really "big" almost like voices, esp bass male voices, are in a cave. Are there any settings I should adjust.
Big, like echoey? Big, like louder? Hard to say. Are you watching 5.1 content, or 2.0 content upmixed by Dolby or Neo:X?

Make sure you're not using DSP mode "7ch Stereo." Turn off any DSP. Check the YPAO PEQ mode, if you're in something other than "Through," select that. Is the speaker set as "Small" or "Large?" If "large," set to "small" -- those 4" woofers aren't going to make the speaker full spectrum.

Finally it could be the speaker, it doesn't look very robust. The speaker should be a good match (woofer size, tweeter) to the left and right channels, not the Atmos speakers, iMHO.

post #595 of 952 Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Big, like echoey? Big, like louder? Hard to say. Are you watching 5.1 content, or 2.0 content upmixed by Dolby or Neo:X?

Make sure you're not using DSP mode "7ch Stereo." Turn off any DSP. Check the YPAO PEQ mode, if you're in something other than "Through," select that. Is the speaker set as "Small" or "Large?" If "large," set to "small" -- those 4" woofers aren't going to make the speaker full spectrum.

Finally it could be the speaker, it doesn't look very robust. The speaker should be a good match (woofer size, tweeter) to the left and right channels, not the Atmos speakers, iMHO.
Yes, Big as in echoey. Also like I've turned on something like NEO X (but only in the front), but I keep those filters off. I've hit Through to be sure. I set it to Small, re-ran the mike setup (and saved) and it looks like it was set back to Big. So I went in again and set it to small again. There may be some improvement now, so I'm going to test it for awhile. It may just be a matter of getting used to the bigger speaker. Its like 4Xs bigger in size than my previous center channel. I'll try to attach a photo. I have a weird corner setup, and with the new panel those speakers are slightly behind panel.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	2541404  
post #596 of 952 Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Sorry for the basic question, but how do I check/verify that the TSR-7850 is receiving and decoding surround information? For example, I have the DSP on standard and one disk is supposed to be Dolby TrueHD and the other DTS-HD and both show PCM on the LCD display of the unit. I wonder if the player is sending the correct info through the HDMI.
post #597 of 952 Old 03-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, Big as in echoey.
Many if not most of Yamaha's surround modes sound echoey (and not to my taste) so I always use "Straight"/Dolby Surround or just 2ch Stereo. Might you have one of those echo modes turned on?

They have the audacity to label one of these echo modes "Standard" which is ridiculous because it is not anyone's "standard" where the music was made.

Edit: [I posted this without reading the above by nekoavs.]
ChromeJob likes this.
post #598 of 952 Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I just got the 7850 for my small living room set up. It says it can pass digital sources to zone 2 but I'm not having any luck.

I have the cable box running into the arc input and hdmi out to the TV.

I'm using the 7.1 set up so Zone 2 is active in the 1st slot.

Zone 2 is showing as "off" in my scenes, even when I have turned on Zone 2 with the remote.

Any ideas?
post #599 of 952 Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, Big as in echoey. Also like I've turned on something like NEO X (but only in the front), but I keep those filters off. I've hit Through to be sure. I set it to Small, re-ran the mike setup (and saved) and it looks like it was set back to Big. So I went in again and set it to small again. There may be some improvement now, so I'm going to test it for awhile. It may just be a matter of getting used to the bigger speaker. Its like 4Xs bigger in size than my previous center channel. I'll try to attach a photo. I have a weird corner setup, and with the new panel those speakers are slightly behind panel.!
Based on the pic and specs I read of those speakers, they're "small" for the purposes of bass management.

IMHO you have your left, center, and right speaker way too close together (all bunched up around the TV) to get any separation. Spread 'em out a bit, if only for a comparison test.

If playing Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, I would use "Straight" or "Dolby Surround" only. Don't run it through Neo:X. If DTS HD MA soundtrack, use "Straight" or "Neo:x."

If it's still "echoey," try the PEQ "Flat" setting from your YPAO tests.

@Baron5 , there is NO HDMI ARC input to the AVR. All HDMI IN connections are HDMI IN. The HDMI OUT connection to a display device may support HDMI-ARC or "audio return channel" from the display device. As far as Zone2 issues, check the manual. Ensure you're hooked up properly to use Zone 2 while you're configured for 7.1 main zone speakers (p. 27).

post #600 of 952 Old 03-19-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron5 View Post
I just got the 7850 for my small living room set up. It says it can pass digital sources to zone 2 but I'm not having any luck.

I have the cable box running into the arc input and hdmi out to the TV.

I'm using the 7.1 set up so Zone 2 is active in the 1st slot.

Zone 2 is showing as "off" in my scenes, even when I have turned on Zone 2 with the remote.

Any ideas?

Not sure, may be misreading yr post. Typically the TV should be jacked in to HDMI OUT 1 (ARC), default for the cable box would be HDMI 2 (5 STB). You're trying to run a 7.1 + 1 zone setup; rear surrounds jacked into EXTRA SP2, ZONE2 speakers jacked into EXTRA SP1 (or an external amp, fed by the ZONE OUT pre-outs). Are you just trying to get audio to ZONE2? And if so, from which input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth , hdmi 2.1 , multicast , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , wx-021 , Yamaha , yamaha reciever streaming network 685 , yamaha rx , yamaha tsr-7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page