"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 237Likes

post #631 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
I thought for sure that I just couldn't find how to access it!
On my old RX-V867 the Enter button brings up a menu with various function including other menus. BTW, there's a bug in my series: to stop streaming Pandora (or other NET stuff) you need to select a dead input to kill the stream. I usually select Sirius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
On my old RX-V867 the Enter button brings up a menu with various function including other menus. BTW, there's a bug in my series: to stop streaming Pandora (or other NET stuff) you need to select a dead input to kill the stream. I usually select Sirius.
It is terribly unfortunate they did not carry this over to the 7850. I don't mind using my phone for control, but I don't always have it in my pocket when I'm in the house. I'd love to be able to start the streaming with my Harmony One and browse different stations without having to go get the phone. It's probably a simple software change - do we have any way of making requests to Yamaha?
post #633 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is terribly unfortunate they did not carry this over to the 7850. I don't mind using my phone for control, but I don't always have it in my pocket when I'm in the house. I'd love to be able to start the streaming with my Harmony One and browse different stations without having to go get the phone. It's probably a simple software change - do we have any way of making requests to Yamaha?
I follow the thread for the latest Yamaha for the last few years. I see less and less functionality with each new version.

When I want to contact a company, I use Twitter. Amazing how well that works. I found nothing on their web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've asked a couple of questions over the past few days about the 7850, just a few more I'm hoping you all can help with before I make a decision about keeping the unit. I bought it on a whim when at Costco last week because I felt I was in need of a new receiver to replace my older Onkyo TX-SR806.
  • How would you say the amp compares in the 7850 vs. my old Onkyo? In size and weight, the Onkyo feels like double the unit of the 7850. On these factors alone, I feel like I'm taking a step backwards in terms of power and headroom.
  • How does the YPAO compare to the Audyssey in my Onkyo? From what I thought I had initially read of YPAO, I was under the impression that it would allow for multiple position measurements and that it will EQ each of the speakers for the appropriate response (in addition to setting other parameters like distance, delay, etc.) much like Audyssey. What I see in the instructions now is that it's a single-point measurement, and I'm not sure if it has similar EQ functionality to Audyssey. Maybe higher-end Yamahas have a different YPAO algorithm?
  • The two reasons I really wanted to upgrade from the Onkyo were (1) it had dated HDMI ports which wouldn't pass 4K and (2) it had no network capability. As mentioned in a previous post, I'm already disappointed that the 7850 requires I use the Musiccast app on my phone to browse the streaming services. Is this pretty standard for receivers at this price point, or do others have a better interface for these features?
  • Another disappointment was the lack of iPod Classic control. Believe it or not, I still use the Classic for much of my music library and would have liked to maintain it because it is still functional in my vehicles as well. Come to find out that the Yamaha doesn't have an iPod interface. I don't believe my Onkyo even had a USB input, and maybe this functionality doesn't exist on any receivers any more. I may have to tinker with NAS to see if there is a way to have the same iTunes library available to the 7850 as well as to sync to my iPod. Anyone aware of a solution?
  • One thing I really do like on the 7850 is the standby passthrough for HDMI. I don't like the AVR running when the kids are watching cartoons, and the standby passthrough allows me to switch the inputs using my Harmony One without having to turn the unit on. My Onkyo needs to be powered up and powered down each time an input changes if I want to use it in standby. Are there other brands that will have this functionality? I knew Yamaha had it, and that was one of the reasons I selected this brand.

I'm left deciding between keeping my Onkyo as my AVR (and adding something to get me Airplay, streaming, etc.), keeping the 7850, or selecting a different unit entirely to try. I know the Onkyo is on borrowed time, as most develop HDMI issues before too long (I have only started using the HDMI inputs/outputs on the receiver in the past couple of months, never had it connected for video before).

Thanks much for your continued feedback.

Last edited by mooch91; 03-29-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #635 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I have the 7850 and it serves me well, everything I need.
Do I miss anything? Maybe, it's just that I don't know yet.
There are tons of other decent AVRs on the market that I'm sure will meet your preference.
Spend wise for the best and don't look back.

Also, Yammy also takes away the multi-position(?) YPAO off the 7850.
A lot of people prefer the older version, 7810.
post #636 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
I'll be replacing my 18 year old RXV800 with the TSR-7850 for my 5.1 set up in a day or two. The V800 still works well but does have some issues: No HDMI's, front panel light is very intermittent, changing channels and inputs causes a loudish bumps from the sub...and it is old. Got the 7850 because it was a good buy from Costco, I like Yamaha's reliability, and as I am not an audiophile, I felt I didn't need to get an AVR comparable to the V800...and, of course, I felt that the 7850 would be a good unit. I do have some questions and most likely will have more after setting up the 7850 in a few days.

1. Over the years things must have gotten much simpler as I note that the 7850's enclosed manual is about 1/4 the size of the V800's and certainly isn't as detailed?
2. Why is it recommended that the HDMI from the 7850 to the TV be via the ARC than the #2 output? My TV (Panny 50V10) doesn't have an ARC HDMI input, just regular HDMIs; will this make a difference?
Many questions are answered in the manual, though you will have to read a bit into the specific features. The glossary at the back of most Yamaha manuals will get you started. Wikipedia can provide add'l help in understanding some of the technology that is new to you.

1. Yes and no.

2. HDMI-ARC is an update for S/PDIF which carries audio from teh TV ("over the air," or OTA, apps) back to the AVR on a wire in the HDMI cable. Where S/PDIF was limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM 2.0, ARC can carry Dolby Digital Plus, which can include encoded Atmos (height) information. If your TV is older and doesn't support HDMI-ARC, don't worry about it. If it DOES have ARC, the input should be clearly labeled.

I encourage you to browse this thread fr post 51 (page 3) onward. Many common questions from new users have already been asked, and answered.

Quote:
  1. How would you say the amp compares in the 7850 vs. my old Onkyo? In size and weight, the Onkyo feels like double the unit of the 7850. On these factors alone, I feel like I'm taking a step backwards in terms of power and headroom.
  2. How does the YPAO compare to the Audyssey in my Onkyo? From what I thought I had initially read of YPAO, I was under the impression that it would allow for multiple position measurements and that it will EQ each of the speakers for the appropriate response (in addition to setting other parameters like distance, delay, etc.) much like Audyssey. What I see in the instructions now is that it's a single-point measurement, and I'm not sure if it has similar EQ functionality to Audyssey. Maybe higher-end Yamahas have a different YPAO algorithm?
  3. ... As mentioned in a previous post, I'm already disappointed that the 7850 requires I use the Musiccast app on my phone to browse the streaming services. Is this pretty standard for receivers at this price point, or do others have a better interface for these features?
  4. Another disappointment was the lack of iPod Classic control. Believe it or not, I still use the Classic for much of my music library and would have liked to maintain it because it is still functional in my vehicles as well. Come to find out that the Yamaha doesn't have an iPod interface. I don't believe my Onkyo even had a USB input, and maybe this functionality doesn't exist on any receivers any more. I may have to tinker with NAS to see if there is a way to have the same iTunes library available to the 7850 as well as to sync to my iPod. Anyone aware of a solution?
  5. One thing I really do like on the 7850 is the standby passthrough for HDMI. I don't like the AVR running when the kids are watching cartoons, and the standby passthrough allows me to switch the inputs using my Harmony One without having to turn the unit on. My Onkyo needs to be powered up and powered down each time an input changes if I want to use it in standby. Are there other brands that will have this functionality? I knew Yamaha had it, and that was one of the reasons I selected this brand.
1. No idea. But Yamaha reliability has trumped Onkyo's in past years.
2. There are fans and detractors of both. Looks like the 7850 has single-point YPAO like the 683 (perhaps the 685).
3. Someone mentioned there's a separate manual that describes using the MusicCast functions.
4. Direct connection of an iPod to an AVR is becoming a bit "old hat." A new method is streaming from your Mac or iOS device via Airplay, or playing the collection from an Apple TV (either from your Mac, or from your iCloud music collection). If your music is in iTunes, you may fall in love with an Apple TV (I have the 4gen model and it works fine, still getting updates.)
5. Other brands may have pass-through, you'd have to research that. Not really apropos to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Same on my older unit. I think the intent is that you aren't interrupting the established stream, so if you switch to TV to hear that news bulletin on the screen, then back to Pandora/Spotify/whatever, the music is still playing, and you don't have to re-select the radio station/playlist to start again. Make sense? I think that's convenient. But yes, it's annoying that it may continue streaming for quite a while during which time you've been playing a DVD/BD or played a video game.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-29-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added responses
post #637 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
...I encourage you to browse this thread fr post 51 (page 3) onward. Many common questions from new users have already been asked, and answered.

Thanks for the response and the tutorial lead...I'll be reading it.
post #638 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

By the way if you have an iOS or Android device, the Yamaha AV Setup app is a great "helper" for initial configuration.
post #639 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Same on my older unit. I think the intent is that you aren't interrupting the established stream, so if you switch to TV to hear that news bulletin on the screen, then back to Pandora/Spotify/whatever, the music is still playing, and you don't have to re-select the radio station/playlist to start again. Make sense? I think that's convenient. But yes, it's annoying that it may continue streaming for quite a while during which time you've been playing a DVD/BD or played a video game.
Makes sense. I use Pandora a lot, so I've become used to the various methods of navigation on different devices. I must have 5 different versions of the app on my stuff.
post #640 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread

Accidental double post. Sorry. Please delete.

Last edited by coolguy949; 03-29-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #641 of 910 Old 03-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I've asked a couple of questions over the past few days about the 7850, just a few more I'm hoping you all can help with before I make a decision about keeping the unit. I bought it on a whim when at Costco last week because I felt I was in need of a new receiver to replace my older Onkyo TX-SR806.

• How would you say the amp compares in the 7850 vs. my old Onkyo? In size and weight, the Onkyo feels like double the unit of the 7850. On these factors alone, I feel like I'm taking a step backwards in terms of power and headroom.
  • How does the YPAO compare to the Audyssey in my Onkyo? From what I thought I had initially read of YPAO, I was under the impression that it would allow for multiple position measurements and that it will EQ each of the speakers for the appropriate response (in addition to setting other parameters like distance, delay, etc.) much like Audyssey. What I see in the instructions now is that it's a single-point measurement, and I'm not sure if it has similar EQ functionality to Audyssey. Maybe higher-end Yamahas have a different YPAO algorithm?
  • The two reasons I really wanted to upgrade from the Onkyo were (1) it had dated HDMI ports which wouldn't pass 4K and (2) it had no network capability. As mentioned in a previous post, I'm already disappointed that the 7850 requires I use the Musiccast app on my phone to browse the streaming services. Is this pretty standard for receivers at this price point, or do others have a better interface for these features?
  • Another disappointment was the lack of iPod Classic control. Believe it or not, I still use the Classic for much of my music library and would have liked to maintain it because it is still functional in my vehicles as well. Come to find out that the Yamaha doesn't have an iPod interface. I don't believe my Onkyo even had a USB input, and maybe this functionality doesn't exist on any receivers any more. I may have to tinker with NAS to see if there is a way to have the same iTunes library available to the 7850 as well as to sync to my iPod. Anyone aware of a solution?
  • One thing I really do like on the 7850 is the standby passthrough for HDMI. I don't like the AVR running when the kids are watching cartoons, and the standby passthrough allows me to switch the inputs using my Harmony One without having to turn the unit on. My Onkyo needs to be powered up and powered down each time an input changes if I want to use it in standby. Are there other brands that will have this functionality? I knew Yamaha had it, and that was one of the reasons I selected this brand.

I'm left deciding between keeping my Onkyo as my AVR (and adding something to get me Airplay, streaming, etc.), keeping the 7850, or selecting a different unit entirely to try. I know the Onkyo is on borrowed time, as most develop HDMI issues before too long (I have only started using the HDMI inputs/outputs on the receiver in the past couple of months, never had it connected for video before).

Thanks much for your continued feedback.

I would just open it up and try it if you already have it. The beauty of Costco is that they will take it back for any reason. I did the same thing with picking up a Denon X4500H at Frys using one of the special 20% coupons but sat on it for almost two weeks deciding if I wanted it or a Yamaha. You won’t know until you try it, despite how much research you do. I probably read every Yamaha vs Denon thing on the internet before just trying it. Tomorrow my return policy ends but it would have been nice to have not burned 2 weeks of time not testing it. Regardless, I have been very happy with the unit so I will be keeping it anyway. I say open it up and give it a shot. The 7850 is a great unit and you might be surprised. It was on my short list until I decided to pick up my current AVR. Power rating isn’t everything. I went down 15W per channel moving to my Denon and it sounds incredible and just as powerful compared to my previous Pio Elite SC-27.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChromeJob likes this.
post #642 of 910 Old 04-01-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster
Setting up a new Yamaha 7850 with an older TV (Panny 50V10) that doesn't have ARC. On page 30 of the downloaded manual, it says that "If TV doesn't support ARC, a digital optical out cable is needed." Although I did some reading as I am not familiar with ARC, it was my understanding that I still can use ARC out from the Yammy into the TV's HDMI without any problems...although I won't get the back and forth exchange???
Already answered this above.

The answer to your question is that your TV's lack of ARC is irrelevant to other HDMI functions. It simply means that you'll need to use older S/PDIF (TOSlink or coax digital audio) to carry TV program sound back to the AVR. Your 7850 manual will describe this, and tell you which audio input to use so that the "TV Viewing" SCENE works out of the box.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-01-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #643 of 910 Old 04-01-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I recently setup the TSR-7850. Thus far I am impressed with its features. I am a Yamaha fanboy so didn't bother comparing to others. The Yamaha RXV-995 served me well (on sale should someone want it - under classifieds). My setup includes:
  • Panasonic UB900 UHD player
  • Xbox 360 (may move my Xbox One from upstairs to this setup)
  • Had an old VHS/DVD combo sitting around, why not, hooked it up as well as I still have some old VHS tapes
  • Same with an old Technics Phono
  • For now, an Acer projector, good old 720P which is being replaced by BenQ HT3550 hopefully soon
  • I have Definitive Technology bipolar BP7002 mains, center and rear surround. I had two Radio shack bookshelves sitting around, need to upgrade these to get a 7.0 system (the woofer is built into the mains so I guess it's 7.0)

I ran the YPAO with the included Mic and it set it up as 7 channel system, the distances seem to be accurate and the sound sounds balanced.
Love the internet radio feature.
Love the flexibility of Scenes, played around with it a little bit. For some reason it doesn't auto turn on my xbox but it does turn on the Panasonic blu ray player in its respective scene. Neither scene turns on the Projector but maybe we're talking old technology here (even though they are both hooked up via HDMI). To do this, I had to turn on HDMI control in settings.
The .5db increments in volume up or down gives granular control but I feel like I am sitting on the button a lot more than I like, maybe there's a way to increase it more quickly. I have the startup volume set low because I have nearly blown speakers (kids leaving it on the highest volume settings in the past).
Not sure what the four colors buttons do just yet, need to read the manual.
The old RX-V995 remote works with it by the way.
The new remote can control the Panasonic. No back light though which is a miss here.
I like how you can filter inputs you don't use often.
I like how you can rename scenes and inputs.

As for the phono, I probably need a new needle cartridge. It doesn't have a ground wire maybe but the sound is too muffled. Or maybe I haven't listened to vinyl in a long time, it just sounds bad. I recommend this receiver.
post #644 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Already answered this above.

The answer to your question is that your TV's lack of ARC is irrelevant to other HDMI functions. It simply means that you'll need to use older S/PDIF (TOSlink or coax digital audio) to carry TV program sound back to the AVR. Your 7850 manual will describe this, and tell you which audio input to use so that the "TV Viewing" SCENE works out of the box.

Well, I've also ran an optical cable along with the ARC HDMI between the AVR and the TV. Only problem here is that one can't just turn on the TV to watch as no sound comes from the TV. However, the sound out of the box (without any tweaking) was pretty good...realize here that I'm jsut looking for good sound and I'm no audiophile. Nonetheless, I plan on studying the Yammy manual today to do some better understanding and tweaking. BTW, I find the remote to be perhaps on of the worst I ever used...just ugly, no backlight, hard to tell what your doing in the dark. Hopefully, I'll be able to program it into my Harmony 1...another project that will probably take me days to do as the last time I programmed the H1 was years ago, and of course I have forgotten everything.
post #645 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone have experience with the TSR-7850 with recent Samsung QLEDs? I purchased the 7850 a week or two ago, upgrading from a Denon x1000. The ARC worked flawlessly with my Samsung Q6F, but once I switched to the 7850, it worked at first, but a day or so later, the ARC appeared to stop working (can't choose the receiver as an audio output on the TV) Also, when I unplug the HDMI from the TV and re-insert it, it takes a long time trying to identify the receiver and ultimately fails, calling it "unknown" and having me manually set it up. \

After trying for a couple of days fiddling with everything, I decided to swap back my denon and the TV recognized it immediately and ARC worked flawlessly again.

My queston is: is this a problem with the Yamaha? Should I take ti back to costco and swap it? Or is it an incompatibility between yamaha and samsung?

TIA
post #646 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
Liked: 3456
Quote:
Originally Posted by srogue2 View Post

My queston is: is this a problem with the Yamaha? Should I take ti back to costco and swap it? Or is it an incompatibility between yamaha and samsung?

TIA
Hard to say for sure but if it did once work then this suggests it has nothing to do with a "firmware incompatibility" issue but rather a weak signal. All HDMI transmitting devices have a built in "HDMI amp" and they vary in strength. It could be Denon's is stronger than Yamaha's. Sometimes when the signal strength arriving at the receiving device is borderline it will seem to work on some days, or with some HDMI cables, but not others.

Is the outgoing cable long? If so you might try testing a short cable as an experiment [you may have to move the devices so they are right next to each other] .If that works it implies my suspicion is correct and the solution is to buy a fatter HDMI cord [they are measured in AWG where a smaller number means a thicker, lower resistance wire, hence easier on that HDMI amp to drive over a long distance] or better yet an amplified HDMI cord such as what monoprice calls "redmere", for example. There are also HDMI booster amps out there. I have no direct experience with these booster devices though.
post #647 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone have experience with the TSR-7850 with recent Samsung QLEDs? I purchased the 7850 a week or two ago, upgrading from a Denon x1000. The ARC worked flawlessly with my Samsung Q6F, but once I switched to the 7850, it worked at first, but a day or so later, the ARC appeared to stop working (can't choose the receiver as an audio output on the TV) Also, when I unplug the HDMI from the TV and re-insert it, it takes a long time trying to identify the receiver and ultimately fails, calling it "unknown" and having me manually set it up. \

After trying for a couple of days fiddling with everything, I decided to swap back my denon and the TV recognized it immediately and ARC worked flawlessly again.

TIA
I have the same combo.
Well, tell you the truth, I am neither a fan of ARC nor CEC.
I usually disable those features.

For you, make sure ARC/CEC enabled on both units (TV and AVR) and yes, BOTH ARC and CEC, not just one.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #648 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Hard to say for sure but if it did once work then this suggests it has nothing to do with a "firmware incompatibility" issue but rather a weak signal. All HDMI transmitting devices have a built in "HDMI amp" and they vary in strength. It could be Denon's is stronger than Yamaha's. Sometimes when the signal strength arriving at the receiving device is borderline it will seem to work on some days, or with some HDMI cables, but not others.

Is the outgoing cable long? If so you might try testing a short cable as an experiment [you may have to move the devices so they are right next to each other] .If that works it implies my suspicion is correct and the solution is to buy a fatter HDMI cord [they are measured in AWG where a smaller number means a thicker, lower resistance wire, hence easier on that HDMI amp to drive over a long distance] or better yet an amplified HDMI cord such as what monoprice calls "redmere", for example. There are also HDMI booster amps out there. I have no direct experience with these booster devices though.
I've tried two different cables. One was about 3 feet, the other 6 feet. Neither is currently working. I will check into the redmere, that may be something that could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
I have the same combo.
Well, tell you the truth, I am neither a fan of ARC nor CEC.
I usually disable those features.

For you, make sure ARC/CEC enabled on both units (TV and AVR) and yes, BOTH ARC and CEC, not just one.
ARC/CEC is enabled on both units. I must ask, since you don't like/use ARC or CEC, do you transfer any audio from the TV to the receiver? The main reason I am wanting to do this, is that my TV is a smart TV and I want to be able to watch Hulu/Netflix/DiscoveryGO etc and get the sound to go through my receiver. I just went to the store and purchased a TOSLINK cable, and so far this is working, but the sound is limited to DD. Is there a better solution for this? Would I have to just buy a firestick/Roku to get better sound? Seems like such a pitty since I already have all that built into the TV.
post #649 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Scanned the manual looking for how to use the remote so that one button click would start the TV, STB, and 7850. I believe it can be done with the Scene approach, but these old eyes just couldn't see how to do it.

I couldn't figure out the difference between TV watching and STB? Also, how does one get the remote to pair with the STB and with the TV...didn't see any references to this in the manual.

My setup is running hdmis to 7850 from STB, Firestick, and non-ARC TV (but also have an optical cable between them) and then out to the TV for 5.1 surround sound.

I will be studying the manual more intensely tomorrow, but would appreciate a head start from you guys. Thanks.
post #650 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Scanned the manual looking for how to use the remote so that one button click would start the TV, STB, and 7850. I believe it can be done with the Scene approach, but these old eyes just couldn't see how to do it.

I couldn't figure out the difference between TV watching and STB? Also, how does one get the remote to pair with the STB and with the TV...didn't see any references to this in the manual.

My setup is running hdmis to 7850 from STB, Firestick, and non-ARC TV (but also have an optical cable between them) and then out to the TV for 5.1 surround sound.

I will be studying the manual more intensely tomorrow, but would appreciate a head start from you guys. Thanks.
This was my next task to figure out. If there was a way to click one button to put it into the TV mode, switch the audio and have everything set with one button... Scenes.. ok I will look this up too. Thanks!
post #651 of 910 Old 04-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Did you guys see what I posted just a couple of posts prior? Does it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #652 of 910 Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ARC/CEC is enabled on both units. I must ask, since you don't like/use ARC or CEC, do you transfer any audio from the TV to the receiver? The main reason I am wanting to do this, is that my TV is a smart TV and I want to be able to watch Hulu/Netflix/DiscoveryGO etc and get the sound to go through my receiver. I just went to the store and purchased a TOSLINK cable, and so far this is working, but the sound is limited to DD. Is there a better solution for this? Would I have to just buy a firestick/Roku to get better sound? Seems like such a pitty since I already have all that built into the TV.
I am not totally disabling it.
It works but taking too many steps to get it to work.
Give me some times, I will check and let you know EXACTLY what I have on my combo for it to work.

To answer your question, I do use the optical OUT but I am using it for karaoke on Youtube only
I do have a Nvidia Shield TV so everything goes through it, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Youtube, Google Play Movies, etc.
post #653 of 910 Old 04-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

@flycaster

Just to give you a quick intro to HDMI and ARC.
"HDMI" carries both high definition video and audio signals.
For instance,
AVR ----video----> TV
AVR ----audio----> TV
"HDMI ARC" is a special feature in the HDMI that can carries the audio signal on the reverse direction as the name implied "Audio Return Channel"
AVR <----audio return---- TV

If you have a HDMI cable connecting between an AVR's HDMI non-ARC and a TV's HDMI's non-ARC, you can watch and hear things on TV. No problem.
But you cannot get any audio signal from TV back to the AVR.
In order to accomplish this, you need ARC-enabled port on BOTH units, not just one.
Without ARC, as you know, Optical OUT is needed.

Regarding to setting up Scene buttons, I believe it is much easier than getting ARC/CEC to work.
I'm sure you can get it done.
post #654 of 910 Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most if not all input, espeically its names, are assignable so don't worry about what being labeled.
If you connect your TV box to HDMI-1 and want to watch TV, then switch to HDMI-1 in your AVR.
You can change the input name in the AVR's settings.
Also, you can assign Scene, say Scene-1 to be HDMI-1, and so on.
post #655 of 910 Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've tried two different cables. One was about 3 feet, the other 6 feet. Neither is currently working. I will check into the redmere, that may be something that could help.

The primary advantage of HDMI-ARC over good ol' S/PDIF (TOSlink or coax) is that SPDIF is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 (or PCM 2.0) and ARC can now carry Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.x (with Atmos object data encoded into the stream). If you're not running any height speakers, then it's just a convenience of one less cable.

Dedicated streaming devices connected directly to an HDMI input offer a lot of advantages over teh "smart apps" on a TV. Better audio capability, as well as teh device OS and the streaming apps potentially being updated more frequently, and over a longer lifetime. Apple, Roku, and Amazon offer great products. I feel a Chromecast is an affordable and essential device for the ability to "cast" from the Chrome browser as well as iOS and Android apps ... only US$35 for the basic model.

Quote:
This was my next task to figure out. If there was a way to click one button to put it into the TV mode, switch the audio and have everything set with one button... Scenes.. ok I will look this up too. Thanks!
SCENE configurations are great, not only do they turn on all the desired components but switch to the right connections ... UNLESS you have a TV like mine that likes to switch the AVR to "TV watching" even though the Apple TV was selected. Welcome to the wacky wild world of CEC.

When you get deeper into SCENE customization, you can decide what playback settings and options you'd like saved into the SCENE. IMHO Scene buttons are a good WAF solution.

post #656 of 910 Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Setting up a new 7850 on my 5.1 system. Just did the YPAO setup and there seem to be a problem with registering the subwoofer. At the start of the process, the sub appears on the TV screen. However, when the sound test first gets to the sub, there is no sound and then the sub disappears from the TV (never to return) as the testing continues. There were no error or warning messages. Furthermore, there are no measurements for the sub. I have all speakers, including sub, set to small (as they should be as they are small). The sub's (Paradigm PDR10) volume is at half and the crossover is at max. All speaker connections are good. And interestingly, the first time that I ran the YPAO, the sub was measured and recorded. I cancelled this and then on several retests (turning the AVR off and on each time, still no sub??? Assuming we will fix the sub problem, I also do have some other questions about how to handle the test results:

1. If the distance for a speaker is off by a foot or two from a manual measurement, should I change it manually? How?

2. If sound levels from the speakers differ (range from -1.5dB to +4dB,) do I leave it like that or should I try to make them all the same level? Make them all 0dB? How?

EDIT:
Problem with sub is solved. Had to tighten up the cable. However, in addition to questions 1 and 2, I have one more:

3. After the successful YPAO, the L/C/R speakers were reset to large (at least in the TV picture,) whereas I originally had set them to small. But when i go to speaker config in setup, they are still listed as small. What's up?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by flycaster; 04-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #657 of 910 Old 04-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Setting up a new 7850 on my 5.1 system. Just did the YPAO setup and there seem to be a problem with registering the subwoofer. At the start of the process, the sub appears on the TV screen. However, when the sound test first gets to the sub, there is no sound and then the sub disappears from the TV (never to return) as the testing continues.
If you've got the sub set to "auto_on", initial test signal duration may not be quite long enough to trigger it - try turning it "on" before YPAO setup.

Oops: eyeballed the manual - appears that sub lacks a On::Auto_On::Off switch

You may have to dial in the sub using manual setup. Given the possible level sensitivity (failure to turn on for the initial YPAO test tone), you'd best set the sub trim level in the receiver to +6db, & dial in the desired volume using the sub's level control.

Possible workaround:hack - get the sub to turn on using the manual setup test tone, then immediately run YPAO - before the sub's auto_off engages.
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by scotthal; 04-05-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Additional info
post #658 of 910 Old 04-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Scotthal: Solved sub problem. Needed to tighten cable...Duh! However, re-read my post as I've added a new question.
post #659 of 910 Old 04-05-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
Liked: 3456
Quote:
1. If the distance for a speaker is off by a foot or two from a manual measurement, should I change it manually?
No. You can measure the distance with a tape measure but you can't measure any electrical delays, especially common with subwoofer amplification and processing circuits, and this matters and needs to be accounted for in setting the effective distance. YPAO does this.

Quote:
2. If sound levels from the speakers differ (range from -1.5dB to +4dB,) do I leave it like that or should I try to make them all the same level? Make them all 0dB?
No. You leave it as YPAO sets it. The whole point of YPAO is to first measure and then set everything automatically. You shouldn't need to set anything if everything is working correctly and usually is works correctly

Rooms are never perfectly symmetrical, causing different reflections, so don't be surprised if YPAO uses a slightly different value for each speaker level even for the exact same speaker at the exact same distance.

Quote:

3. After the successful YPAO, the L/C/R speakers were reset to large (at least in the TV picture,) whereas I originally had set them to small. But when i go to speaker config in setup, they are still listed as small. What's up?
To the best of my knowledge YPAO unfortunately leans more heavily in the direction of selecting "large" instead of "small" but whatever you override it to be in manual settings is what's used.
ChromeJob and tinhvo like this.
post #660 of 910 Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
No. You can measure the distance with a tape measure but you can't measure any electrical delays, especially common with subwoofer amplification and processing circuits, and this matters and needs to be accounted for in setting the effective distance. YPAO does this.

No. You leave it as YPAO sets it. The whole point of YPAO is to first measure and then set everything automatically. You shouldn't need to set anything if everything is working correctly and usually is works correctly

Rooms are never perfectly symmetrical, causing different reflections, so don't be surprised if YPAO uses a slightly different value for each speaker level even for the exact same speaker at the exact same distance.

To the best of my knowledge YPAO unfortunately leans more heavily in the direction of selecting "large" instead of "small" but whatever you override it to be in manual settings is what's used.
Hey Zillich, an excellently helpful reply. As I thought, but wasn't quite sure that the YPAO process takes into account many variables, and thus the differences between real and measured distances, levels, etc. One of the things I noticed was that when I left the front speakers at Large, lipsync seemed to be off a little, but when I manually changed their setting to Small, all was well.

If you don't mind, another question. With sub set as 1/4 volume and Max x-over, viewing the YPAO results' images, my R/C/F speakers' (after resetting to all small) were shown with 40Hz each and the two rears (small) were at 120Hz. I then set the sub at 1/2 max volume, and the rears were reduced to 100Hz, but there was no Hz indication for F/C/R. I'm thinking all this has something to do with the x-over/volume setting of the sub, but what? Finally, when going to setup>spkrs>config, F/C/R shows with 40Hz and the rears as 100Hz, confirming that only the Hz for the rears changed. Perhaps, another excellent explanation is called for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth , hdmi 2.1 , multicast , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , wx-021 , Yamaha , yamaha rx , yamaha tsr-7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page