"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 236Likes

post #781 of 907 Old 04-28-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi all!

Yamaha RX-V685 comes with Bluetooth capability. I have following questions / scenarios for feedback:

1) I'm planning to expand my music experience to our summer terrace simply by purchasing a decent BT speaker. I have been considering JBL Flip 4 as one alternative, would you recommend those for random use?

2) How in general does the Yamaha's BT signal carry from indoors (from amplifier) to outdoors (there's non-concrete wall and window between)? In my case the distance is like 8 meters (less than 30 feet) say in 45 degree angle from the A/V?

3) Can I output the music playing to *only* to the BT speaker and not to my attached 5.1 speakers? If yes, how to achieve that?

//t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 907 Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Everyone,

New member, first post.

I have a Tivo Roamio as my OTA DVR solution with HDMI (In) from the Tivo into the HDMI Out (ARC) on the Yamaha.

I used the YPAO fucntion to optimize the 7.1 and all speakers are detected, however when I program the Tivo remote control to control the Yahama power, volume and mute function (which works), when I use the Tivo power button to shut down everything and hit the Tivo power button again to turn everything on, I lose my two satellite speakers, that is unless I re-run YPAO which will detect the two satellites.

What is odd is if I use the Yamaha remote control to power cycle everything, I never lose the two satellite speakers. But if I use the Tivo remote control to power cycle everyhing I do lose the two satellites.

And I use the Tivo remote control as the primary remote control since it has all the primary tivo button functions.

In a nutshell using the Tivo remote control to power cycle everything loses two satellites, but using the Yamaha remote control to power cycle everything, works as desired.

Thoughts anyone?
post #783 of 907 Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
Hi Everyone,
New member, first post.
I have a Tivo Roamio as my OTA DVR solution with HDMI (In) from the Tivo into the HDMI Out (ARC) on the Yamaha.
I used the YPAO fucntion to optimize the 7.1 and all speakers are detected, however when I program the Tivo remote control to control the Yahama power, volume and mute function (which works), when I use the Tivo power button to shut down everything and hit the Tivo power button again to turn everything on, I lose my two satellite speakers, that is unless I re-run YPAO which will detect the two satellites.
What is odd is if I use the Yamaha remote control to power cycle everything, I never lose the two satellite speakers. But if I use the Tivo remote control to power cycle everyhing I do lose the two satellites.
And I use the Tivo remote control as the primary remote control since it has all the primary tivo button functions.
In a nutshell using the Tivo remote control to power cycle everything loses two satellites, but using the Yamaha remote control to power cycle everything, works as desired.
Thoughts anyone?
The use of CEC/HDMI control is new with TiVo. I'll guess if you disable CEC on the Yamaha and the TiVo you don't have an issue? I can't help much, since I never used CEC with anything. I have an older Yamaha AVR and three TiVo boxes (plus Blu-ray and Roku) feed it. I only control the AVR's volume and mute. Changing the input and power on of the Yamaha is done with a Scene button.

You might repost here: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...oamio-dvrs.74/

If you have the latest TiVo software, you can try here: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun....570792/unread

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 907 Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsuominen View Post
Hi all!

Yamaha RX-V685 comes with Bluetooth capability. I have following questions / scenarios for feedback:

1) I'm planning to expand my music experience to our summer terrace simply by purchasing a decent BT speaker. I have been considering JBL Flip 4 as one alternative, would you recommend those for random use?

2) How in general does the Yamaha's BT signal carry from indoors (from amplifier) to outdoors (there's non-concrete wall and window between)? In my case the distance is like 8 meters (less than 30 feet) say in 45 degree angle from the A/V?

3) Can I output the music playing to *only* to the BT speaker and not to my attached 5.1 speakers? If yes, how to achieve that?

//t
If your receiver is like my TSR-7850, I doubt your idea will work. I have not been able to get any output via BT to a wireless speaker (although BT transmission to headphones will work.) and the output is relatively weak. My unit will find and connect to the speaker, but no sound output despite the fact that the speaker meets the stated specs. The manual for the TSR-7850 says that the 5.1 speakers will continus to play.
post #785 of 907 Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Look at your manual for the BT specs. I'll bet it's a Class 2 device which means in the most ideal of situations the PAN (Personal Area Network) is spec'd to a max of 33ft. How and what can be connected/played via BT is also all in the manual. Not trying to be a smart a.., it's just a lot of "ifs and buts" you need to read!

Quote:
Hi all!

//t
ChromeJob likes this.
post #786 of 907 Old 04-29-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
I was going to suggest that the 7850 manual doesn't mention the SCMS-T restriction like the Bluetooth addendum does, as I posted in the linked reply, but they updated the manual in 12/2018 from the original 3/2018 edition.

Does it make mention of SCMS-T compatible devices? ... No. Pffft. I wonder how many people who complain "my Bluetooth [device] has no sound" are encountering this restriction.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #787 of 907 Old 04-30-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I was going to suggest that the 7850 manual doesn't mention the SCMS-T restriction like the Bluetooth addendum does, as I posted in the linked reply, but they updated the manual in 12/2018 from the original 3/2018 edition.

Does it make mention of SCMS-T compatible devices? ... No. Pffft. I wonder how many people who complain "my Bluetooth [device] has no sound" are encountering this restriction.
Thanks, ChromeJob. I'm sure a lot of folks like me are encountering this BT issue. The problrm is that the BT manual states that connected devices that are not SCMS-T compliant, "some content may not be played back." It appears that it should state that "no" content will be played back.
post #788 of 907 Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer14 View Post
.. The problrm is that the BT manual states that connected devices that are not SCMS-T compliant, "some content may not be played back." It appears that it should state that "no" content will be played back.
Yamaha's statement is probably accurate. Any content that is not HDCP restricted may play just fine over most Bluetooth audio devices. E.g. DRM-free music that you're playing via DLNA, USB drive, CD. Not sure how region free Blu-ray Discs (over HDMI) work, if those discs have HDCP restriction on them or not.

This is new to me (SCMS-T Bluetooth), so I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot it other than trying different audio sources, i.e. try with a CD player connected over TOSlink or coax.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #789 of 907 Old 04-30-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 54
"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread

Mute your 5.1 speakers by turning the big volume knob to zero and adjust volume through your Bluetooth speakers. I can’t comment on speaker if it actually works but my headphones work that way just fine and my 5.1 stays quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #790 of 907 Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Mute your 5.1 speakers by turning the big volume knob to zero and adjust volume through your Bluetooth speakers. I can’t comment on speaker if it actually works but my headphones work that way just fine and my 5.1 stays quiet

With regards to my BT inquiry, all responses much appreciated - seems there is some unclarities still in the air and other interests as well. As next step, I shall try to loan such speaker first for evaluation.

//timo
post #791 of 907 Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was out away for ten days, and we hen I got back today my 7850 appeared to be dead. Nothing would turn it on (harmony, the app, Alexa) until I manually held in the Power button on the AVR for 10 seconds. I think it went into some sort of standby. Just noting.
post #792 of 907 Old 05-02-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
With regards to my BT inquiry, all responses much appreciated - seems there is some unclarities still in the air and other interests as well. As next step, I shall try to loan such speaker first for evaluation.

//timo
tjsuominen,
I'll be very interested to hear how your borrowed BT speakers work out. I have now tried a pair of non SCMS-T compliant headphones and they work just fine on a variety of input sources. It remains a mystery to me why my BT speaker still gets no output from ANY (including the same) input sources when they have specs that are identical to the headphones.
post #793 of 907 Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Suggestion: Don't upgrade the Firmware past 1.31 for best Music Sound Quality

My old JVC 8010 finally bit the dust so I decided to do some research and get a good receiver to match the quality of my Polk Monitor 10B's.

When I tried the V485, it was my first Yamaha, and I LOVED the sound quality out of the box when playing music - it was so clear and had a lot of image. I was sold!

Note: I had the YPAO's EQ disabled (set to "Through"), so everything was flat with bass/treb disabled and set to 2-channel stereo. Ext Bass was off, but the Sound Enhancer was ON. And I used 192k WMA music files.

The only problem I had was that the bass in a lot of songs seemed to howl a bit. So, I did some research and found out this was due to a standing wave in my listening room. So, I downloaded the android spectrum analyzer app "Spectroid" and could see a huge spike at 49Hz when I heard the howling. Unfortunately the 485's EQ can't create a good notch filter because each band has a wide Q factor, but I noticed the V685 has an advanced EQ in that you can create a real-narrow Q factor and can also adjust the center frequency. So, I exchanged the 485 for the 685 and I was able to setup a 49.5Hz notch filter and the standing wave was gone!

Now I was enjoying really good sound quality, especially with the sound enhancer ON with my WMA music files and Bluetooth. As a previous member said in this forum, it put a smile on my face every time I would listen to music.

But, then I noticed a firmware 1.41 update (out of the box my receiver was v1.31), so I flashed the newer 1.41, and boy what a mistake. The "sibilance" (high end "hiss" as when singer says "S"s) was harsh and I hated it - it downgraded the listening enjoyment to a point that it actually got me in a bad mood. Also note that I still had everything flat (YPA0's eq off/Through). So it wasn't a EQ or treble setting that was causing this harshness at the high end - the settings were the same as when I have 1.31.

Basically, every time a singer would sing a word with an "S" in it, it just sounded harsh Whereas with the v1.31, the "s"s were just clear and smooth.

So, I called Yamaha up and they said they never heard of this problem before. Keep in mind, I am far from a real audiophile, so my 50+ old ears are nothing special. But I could hear the difference pretty easily with certain songs, like Bebe Rexha's "I'm A Mess".

So, after a few calls, a support tech was able to locate the v1.31 firmware file and sent it to me. I was able to flash down to it with no problems using a USB stick, and yup the sound quality returned to being excellent. As a test to make sure something didn't happen when I did the 1.41 update, I flashed back up to the 1.41 and the harshness returned. I flashed back to the 1.31 and its back to sounding great.

The curious thing is that the 1.31 firmware file is 92k in size, and both the 1.41 and 1.47 are only 42k in size - thanks a huge reduction. So I don't know exactly what changed, maybe they changed the algorithm for the sound enhancer, who knows, but I just hated the sound quality of the later firmware versions.

So, I just wanted to express my findings and if you do have a version higher then 1.31, you may want to try as a test to downgrade to 1.31 and see if you can notice the sound quality of music take a significant step-up in clearness and smoothness. And if you do, maybe if more of us report this to Yamaha, they will fix the cause because right now I'm stuck at version 1.31 - I can't get future fixes or new features like the Bluetooth output without sacrificing the sound quality.

And if anyone upgrades to 1.41 or 1.47 (from 1.31) and notices the high-end seems harsher, it's not your imagination - the upgrade somehow downgrades the audio quality (at least to me).

NOTES:
1) When Yamaha sent me the 1.31 firmware file it was named "V685-0131.BIN", but make sure you rename it to "000402-0131.BIN" so the receiver will properly "see" it on the USB stick. Please don't ask me for the file, you should get it from the trusted source: Yamaha
2) Flashing up or down was extremely easy and safe - I didn't even loose any of the receiver settings after flashing in either direction. So you really have nothing to loose trying 1.31. Yamaha did a good job with their flashing feature.
prsut and JoeKustra like this.

Last edited by johnjohn; 05-02-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #794 of 907 Old 05-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

//timo

Np. To add, is there a way to delete a Bluetooth profile on this unit? I want to remove ( not disconnect) a headset altogether. I was able to factory reset my headphone and I could turn off the setting on the receiver where it searches for and connects to known devices but it's not ideal.

Last edited by home4sale2; 05-02-2019 at 01:36 PM.
post #795 of 907 Old 05-03-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone gotten the new firmware they announced in a press release s few weeks ago?
post #796 of 907 Old 05-04-2019, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 24
7850: How listen to player music with TV Off?

This question is aimed at being able to listen to music CDs via my Panasonic BD-85 player and not have the TV On, or at least showing a blank screen, if possible. And an explanation as to why HDMI 4 is involved in the start up process. Although I think (but not really sure) that the latter was once the case when initially setting up the 7850 a month or so ago. But, now in order to listen to music from the player, the TV (Panasonic TC-P50V10-non ARC) must be on.

Here is my set up: for 5.1: HDMI from player to AV=HDMI 1, HDMI from STB to AV=HDMI 2, HDMI from AV to TV and optical cable between AV and TV.

Presently, the only way that music will play is with the TV On. Let me describe what I see on the AV, player and TV screens at the start up of the music. As the player is connected to the AV's HDMI 1's port, I assume that setting the AV to HDMI 1 will bring on the music, but that doesn't appear to be the case...no music, nothing on TV screen. However, using the AV's remote to set the AV to HDMI 4, I get music and the TV screen shows the CD tracks with HDMI 1 showing in the upper left hand corner??? Turning the TV Off stops the sound while the player is still playing. Furthermore, the player's screen first shows HDMI 1, but then switches to HDMI 4 as the music starts??? Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
Think I came up with a solution how to play music without having the TV On, but still have no idea why HDMI 4 comes into play.

Originally, using my UCR 2025B2's "Watch TV" button, the TV, STB and the AV would all go on set to HDMI 2 (opening setting to watch/listen to TV.) Then using the UCR's STB button to turn it OFF, and the DVD button to turn player On. So, now the AV, player and TV are On. Then using the AV remote's Input, setting it to HDMI 1 (player's port)...no sound. Moving on to HDMI 4, got the music sound. Now turn TV Off, no more sound. The solution: Not using the UCR's "Watch TV" button. Instead, turn on the player and AV using the UCR's specific buttons, but not the TV button...music sound with TV Off. Still don't understand why TV had to be On in situation before solution?

Last edited by flycaster; 05-04-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #797 of 907 Old 05-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dialogue Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Have you tried adjusting Option > Dialogue > Dialogue Level (manual, pg 96)? If that helps ameliorate yr problem, you can park the adjusted setting in a dedicated Scene (manual, pg 126) - just tick the "Surround" option.
Thanks for the replies from you and m. zillch, things are sounding better. I took awhile getting back, because if you keep replaying the same TiVo saved dialogue that you didn't understand the first time around, it becomes too familiar to judge if you're actually hearing improvements with any adjustments. I needed some 'freshly aired' material from the weekly shows. The dialogue is clearer now and I will still be looking through the settings you guys suggested in the manual to make things optimal.
m. zillch likes this.
post #798 of 907 Old 05-04-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlauren View Post
Has anyone gotten the new firmware they announced in a press release s few weeks ago?
Checking the Yamaha Firmware/Software updates, there doesn't seem to be any new release for the *85 series yet.

post #799 of 907 Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@djxpress Please bear in mind that street price discussions are limited to the forum "Deals" threads. Since this is a Costco-only model, mentioning the published price (i.e. it's an MSRP) is probably permitted. Discussion of rebate amounts and reduced prices should be in the Deals thread.

This unit had manufacturer instant rebates from the holidays and well into 2019. I wouldn't hold your breath for the rebate returning, but hope springs eternal.

post #800 of 907 Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 2162
Please do not post street pricing or where to buy discussions in the tech threads. As Chrome stated they belong in deals stickies or deals forum.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #801 of 907 Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 5
question. I'm using my receiver to watch Netflix with only 2 front speakers until I get the center channel and rear surrounds. I have Netflix set to 2 channel stereo for audio and have the receiver set to 2 channel, either standard mode or movie mode - drama. I've set the receiver dynamic range to maximum as well as minimum/auto with not much difference. The audio just doesn't seem that loud. I have to turn it up to the -35 db range in order to really hear the voices and I sit about 8 feet away from the tv/speakers. It's plugged into my Vizio PQ-65F1 running the Smart Cast Netflix through the HDMI 1 ARC cable.

I know a center channel would help, but I'm still waiting for that speaker to ship. If I change the receiver to listen to net radio, or even tuner, the audio is so much louder at a lower db (say - 45db). Right now I have some front Klipisch R-41M reference speakers. I haven't done the YPAO yet since I don't have the surrounds, sub or center.

Am I setting something up incorrectly?
post #802 of 907 Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4630 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
Did you run YPAO? As far as I know it helps get things right even for just two speakers. For instance, if your system thinks you own a center , yet you don't, that will make the sound bad.

I stay away from the sound modes like Drama, etc. I would suggest starting with "Straight" for a while to get used to what's normal first. Then after knowing what that's like for a few weeks, then try the alternate modes. Also keep in mind "Standard" in not standard. That is a horrible misnomer. It is simply another one of the others.
post #803 of 907 Old 05-07-2019, 10:02 AM

I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable the receiver from turning on/off every time I turn on my PQ-65F1? I have the TV connected to the receiver via HDMI 1 ARC as that is how I have the sound pass through to the receiver. I realize I can go to Settings > Video/HDMI > HDMI Control and turn it off/on and that will make it so the receiver doesn't turn off/on when I turn the TV on with the TV remote. But when I do that, I can no longer get the audio to pass through the HDMI 1 ARC to hear the TV when I do have both the receiver and TV on? I've looked through the 200 pg manual but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?
post #804 of 907 Old 05-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable the receiver from turning on/off every time I turn on my PQ-65F1? I have the TV connected to the receiver via HDMI 1 ARC as that is how I have the sound pass through to the receiver. I realize I can go to Settings > Video/HDMI > HDMI Control and turn it off/on and that will make it so the receiver doesn't turn off/on when I turn the TV on with the TV remote. But when I do that, I can no longer get the audio to pass through the HDMI 1 ARC to hear the TV when I do have both the receiver and TV on? I've looked through the 200 pg manual but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...317852555.html

Linking the standby modes of the unit and the TV

Select whether to use HDMI control to link the unit's standby mode to the TV's power when “HDMI Control” is set to “On”.
Note
  • For details on “HDMI Control” in the “Setup” menu, see the following:

Setup menu
“Video/HDMI” > “HDMI Control” > “Standby Sync”

Settings

Off
Does not set the unit to standby mode when the TV is turned off.

On
Sets the unit to standby mode when the TV is turned off.

Auto
Sets the unit to standby mode when the TV is turned off only when the unit is receiving TV audio or HDMI signals.
post #805 of 907 Old 05-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfranc View Post
https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...317852555.html

Linking the standby modes of the unit and the TV

Select whether to use HDMI control to link the unit's standby mode to the TV's power when “HDMI Control” is set to “On”.
Note
  • For details on “HDMI Control” in the “Setup” menu, see the following:

Setup menu
“Video/HDMI” > “HDMI Control” > “Standby Sync”

Settings

Off
Does not set the unit to standby mode when the TV is turned off.

On
Sets the unit to standby mode when the TV is turned off.

Auto
Sets the unit to standby mode when the TV is turned off only when the unit is receiving TV audio or HDMI signals.
I tried that...All it does is keep the receiver on when I turn off the TV.

I'd like to be able to turn on the TV without the receiver coming on every time. The only thing I can think of is manually disabling CEC from my TV every time I don't want it to activate the receiver.
post #806 of 907 Old 05-08-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
question. [spoiler[I'm using my receiver to watch Netflix with only 2 front speakers until I get the center channel and rear surrounds. I have Netflix set to 2 channel stereo for audio and have the receiver set to 2 channel, either standard mode or movie mode - drama. I've set the receiver dynamic range to maximum as well as minimum/auto with not much difference. The audio just doesn't seem that loud. I have to turn it up to the -35 db range in order to really hear the voices and I sit about 8 feet away from the tv/speakers. It's plugged into my Vizio PQ-65F1 running the Smart Cast Netflix through the HDMI 1 ARC cable.

I know a center channel would help, but I'm still waiting for that speaker to ship. If I change the receiver to listen to net radio, or even tuner, the audio is so much louder at a lower db (say - 45db). Right now I have some front Klipisch R-41M reference speakers. I haven't done the YPAO yet since I don't have the surrounds, sub or center.[/spoiler]

Am I setting something up incorrectly?
Run YPAO. If you like how your speakers sound, set PEQ to “Through” in manual setup, but YPAO will make other adjustments to levels and delays that you want to leave be. Run YPAO again when you add speakers.

The Cinema DSP modes you referred to won’t do anything very useful with only two speakers. Stick to 2ch stereo (which will mix down multichannel content to your two speakers) until you get more.
Quote:
I tried that...All it does is keep the receiver on when I turn off the TV.

I'd like to be able to turn on the TV without the receiver coming on every time. The only thing I can think of is manually disabling CEC from my TV every time I don't want it to activate the receiver.
On some equipment, HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC are paired together. If you don’t want HDMI-CEC enabled, run audio from the TV via TOSlink or coax (depending upon the TV), sometimes called SPDIF.
djxpress likes this.

post #807 of 907 Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 PM

I ran upon another question. Vizio PQ-65F1 with this receiver using the built in streaming apps. HDMI ARC cable is the only cable running from my tv to the receiver (HDMI 1 ARC). In order to get to the system menu screen, I have to switch my tv input to HDMI 1 obviously (from either the Smart Cast input or the Antenna Coaxial input from the TV input menu). Then I can see the menu screen. My issue is trying to see the Sound > Information screen. All this lists is basic PCM 2 channel 48 khz audio. It doesn't seem to list the audio source I have coming from the Netflix or Amazon Prime built in app. I know when I run say Game of Thrones on Amazon Prime/HBO and press the receiver Info screen, it shows the signal as DD+ which is what I'd expect.

Not sure why the receiver screen isn't picking this up when I switch to the HDMI 1 to see the menu?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4193.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	788.2 KB
ID:	2564412  
post #808 of 907 Old 05-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
I ran upon another question. Vizio PQ-65F1 with this receiver using the built in streaming apps. HDMI ARC cable is the only cable running from my tv to the receiver (HDMI 1 ARC). In order to get to the system menu screen, I have to switch my tv input to HDMI 1 obviously (from either the Smart Cast input or the Antenna Coaxial input from the TV input menu). Then I can see the menu screen. My issue is trying to see the Sound > Information screen. All this lists is basic PCM 2 channel 48 khz audio. It doesn't seem to list the audio source I have coming from the Netflix or Amazon Prime built in app. I know when I run say Game of Thrones on Amazon Prime/HBO and press the receiver Info screen, it shows the signal as DD+ which is what I'd expect.

Not sure why the receiver screen isn't picking this up when I switch to the HDMI 1 to see the menu?
I think the behavior is consistent to what you expect. By switching the TV input to HDMI 1, you would have exited the streaming apps on your Vizio TV and wouldn't have any advanced audio input signal from your TV's ARC through the streaming app. You will have nothing playing on the TV and only see the default PCM signal info.

I have a similar setup, Vizio E65-E1 paired with RX-V2085. When streaming from any of the TV's app the only way to see the audio signal info is to use the physical info button on the receiver.

I will have to add that the HDMI-CEC in the *85 series seems buggy. I came from an RX-A2010 and when HDMI-CEC is enabled, pushing the receiver's remote on screen button will automatically end whatever is playing on the TV, switch the TV to HDMI 1 and display the receiver's menu screen. With RX-V2085, the HDMI-CEC functionality a bit buggy so it does not switch over most of the time. I have to use the TV's remote to change to HDMI 1 before seeing the receiver's menu.
I guess it's might be due to the quality of parts used in the RX-A series.
djxpress likes this.
post #809 of 907 Old 05-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does anyone know if this RX-V685 will pass through VRR and ALLM from the Xbox One X?
post #810 of 907 Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Does anyone know if this RX-V685 will pass through VRR and ALLM from the Xbox One X?
Check the specs online or in the downloadable manual. I’m not familiar with those acronyms, so could you explain what they are?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth , hdmi 2.1 , multicast , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , wx-021 , Yamaha , yamaha rx , yamaha tsr-7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page