"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes

post #991 of 1016 Old 08-07-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 178
For most daily driving for me any universal remote, especially with CEC enabled, gives me what I need. For anything "more complicated" I use the Android/IOS Yamaha app and/or grab the AVR remote from the basket on the end table. Do this with my 1020's and my 7850.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
Just purchased a 7850 to replace a 10 y/o Denon 998 that served me well for many years. The set up was easy. I'm a little disappointed by the speaker binding posts (feel cheap) but otherwise am happy with my purchase.

Question for the Forum: has anyone had experience using a Universal Remote with the 7850?

I've programmed my STB remote to recognize the 7850 but functions are severely limited. I'm leaning towards the Logitech 665 but wondered if anyone's tried to use it? I'm not interested in spending 1/2 the price of the receiver on a remote. If there's not one that works at a reasonable price I'll just get a bigger basket for the couch and keep the Yamaha remote handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1016 Old 08-07-2019, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would you mind sharing which of the Android Yamaha app are you using? I found 4 if then made Yamaha in Google play store.
post #993 of 1016 Old 08-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please pardon my ignorance as newbie. I just purchased Yamaha TSR 7850 as my first receiver. The house I moved into has 2 front in-wall speakers, and 2 in-ceiling rear speakers. There's wiring for center speaker and subwoofer. Should I be looking for passive center speaker and subwoofer?
Any recommendations for entery level devices for this purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1016 Old 08-07-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa151 View Post
Would you mind sharing which of the Android Yamaha app are you using? I found 4 if then made Yamaha in Google play store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oller&hl=en_US
post #995 of 1016 Old 08-08-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My 2085 arrived yesterday. Wow, it's a beast!

I wish there was a setup wizard. Did I miss something?? My Denon had one and it was pretty helpful. The 2085, though, is by far a better piece of equipment.

I'm experienced with AVRs but this was a bit daunting. With that said, though, I got the inputs assigned/renamed and ran YPAO. Amazing!! I had recently bought a SACD (Guess Who, Road Food/10; amazing) and could barely hear the center channel with my Denon. It's super clear and crisp with the 2085.

Got it working with my Harmony 650, but thanks for the advise re using the app for the audio settings.

Going to wade through the manual and see what is what. On default settings, though, it's fantastic.
red_5ive likes this.

Last edited by Umlaut56; 08-08-2019 at 08:15 AM.
post #996 of 1016 Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There should also be two web interfaces from your browser. YES, you need the terminating '/'

IP.ADDR.OF.AVR/

and

IP.ADDR.OF.AVR/Setup/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaut56 View Post
My 2085 arrived yesterday. Wow, it's a beast!

I wish there was a setup wizard. Did I miss something?? My Denon had one and it was pretty helpful. The 2085, though, is by far a better piece of equipment.

I'm experienced with AVRs but this was a bit daunting. With that said, though, I got the inputs assigned/renamed and ran YPAO. Amazing!! I had recently bought a SACD (Guess Who, Road Food/10; amazing) and could barely hear the center channel with my Denon. It's super clear and crisp with the 2085.

Got it working with my Harmony 650, but thanks for the advise re using the app for the audio settings.

Going to wade through the manual and see what is what. On default settings, though, it's fantastic.
post #997 of 1016 Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
There should also be two web interfaces from your browser. YES, you need the terminating '/'

IP.ADDR.OF.AVR/

and

IP.ADDR.OF.AVR/Setup/
Thanks, I'll assign an IP address and give it a shot
post #998 of 1016 Old 08-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Thanks, I'll assign an IP address and give it a shot

You can also see the current IP in the OSD settings, but yeah I otherwise always assign a static IP.

I'd also recommend getting the Yamaha AV Controller App, which will allow you to control the unit (select scenes, dsp, adjust sound settings, etc). I mostly use it for music when I don't want the TV on. And side-note, it'll also display the IP address. And if you intend to use any of the streaming music services (i.e., Pandora), you'll also need the Yamaha Music-Cast app to set it up. I believe there are third party versions of Music-Cast, but I always stick with the actual Yamaha app.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #999 of 1016 Old 08-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
You can also see the current IP in the OSD settings, but yeah I otherwise always assign a static IP.

I'd also recommend getting the Yamaha AV Controller App, which will allow you to control the unit (select scenes, dsp, adjust sound settings, etc). I mostly use it for music when I don't want the TV on. And side-note, it'll also display the IP address. And if you intend to use any of the streaming music services (i.e., Pandora), you'll also need the Yamaha Music-Cast app to set it up. I believe there are third party versions of Music-Cast, but I always stick with the actual Yamaha app.
Red, thanks; I downloaded it and will try it out after work. I'm using a NAS with Plex via my Apple TV (Great interface!) for my 28,000 songs; I see that the Yamaha will also let me stream directly or via Airplay to the receiver but I find it easier to use the ATV (plus, my girlfriend would be LOST using DNLA!)

Do I need any of the other Yamaha apps? They seem superfluous.

Any thoughts about add-on Atmos speakers (such as NHT) that sit on the fronts and aim to the ceiling? I'd like to experience Atmos, but cannot add ceiling speakers.

Thanks for all your help!
post #1000 of 1016 Old 08-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Red, thanks; I downloaded it and will try it out after work. I'm using a NAS with Plex via my Apple TV (Great interface!) for my 28,000 songs; I see that the Yamaha will also let me stream directly or via Airplay to the receiver but I find it easier to use the ATV (plus, my girlfriend would be LOST using DNLA!)

Do I need any of the other Yamaha apps? They seem superfluous.
If you only grabbed the AV Controller App, I think you'll also need the Music-Cast app. I haven't configured my NAS yet nor do I have an ATV, but I had to use the Music-Cast app to initially set up Pandora. After that I'm able to control Pandora from the AV Controller App which is my preference. For reference, I don't think Music-Cast was a thing yet when I bought my 3020 6 years ago so I only ever needed the AV Controller App until getting the 2085, so this portion of the setup is also new to me. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Any thoughts about add-on Atmos speakers (such as NHT) that sit on the fronts and aim to the ceiling? I'd like to experience Atmos, but cannot add ceiling speakers.

Thanks for all your help!
This is also my first Atmos setup so I have no direct experience with Atmos-enabled speakers. I have read though that they are more effective with lower ceilings (like 8'-10') vs say, a vaulted ceiling. I've also read conflicting anecdotes for and against.

That said, I have presence speakers still in place from my prior Yamahas for DSP effects, so I'm currently using those for Atmos with the "height" layout. I don't think this is a Dolby recommended configuration for Atmos (although the manual says heights can be used with Atmos), but I swear it sounds better with movies over the Yamaha proprietary DSPs. But, I'm also not entirely sure yet if Surround:AI is also influencing things as I haven't spent enough time with it. Nevertheless, I am getting much more overhead effects, like right now I'm watching Ready Player One, and the club scene where they're suspended over that chasm/pit thing, there's all kinds of sound above me.

My point with this is, with height channels apparently not spec'd for Atmos, it really sounds like it's making a difference. So that and because it seems like Atmos reflecting speakers are a YMMV thing, I think it'd be worth trying out since they're spec'd for Atmos, keeping in mind the ceiling height thing.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.

Last edited by red_5ive; 08-08-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #1001 of 1016 Old 08-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
If you only grabbed the AV Controller App, I think you'll also need the Music-Cast app. I haven't configured my NAS yet nor do I have an ATV, but I had to use the Music-Cast app to initially set up Pandora. After that I'm able to control Pandora from the AV Controller App which is my preference. For reference, I don't think Music-Cast was a thing yet when I bought my 3020 6 years ago so I only ever needed the AV Controller App until getting the 2085, so this portion of the setup is also new to me. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

This is also my first Atmos setup so I have no direct experience with Atmos-enabled speakers. I have read though that they are more effective with lower ceilings (like 8'-10') vs say, a vaulted ceiling. I've also read conflicting anecdotes for and against.

That said, I have presence speakers still in place from my prior Yamahas for DSP effects, so I'm currently using those for Atmos with the "height" layout. I don't think this is a Dolby recommended configuration for Atmos (although the manual says heights can be used with Atmos), but I swear it sounds better with movies over the Yamaha proprietary DSPs. But, I'm also not entirely sure yet if Surround:AI is also influencing things as I haven't spent enough time with it. Nevertheless, I am getting much more overhead effects, like right now I'm watching Ready Player One, and the club scene where they're suspended over that chasm/pit thing, there's all kinds of sound above me.

My point with this is, with height channels apparently not spec'd for Atmos, it really sounds like it's making a difference. So that and because it seems like Atmos reflecting speakers are a YMMV thing, I think it'd be worth trying out since they're spec'd for Atmos, keeping in mind the ceiling height thing.
Thanks again for the advice. Got it dialed in on my Harmony remote, and still messing around with the settings. Overall, it sounds amazing and the interface is stellar!
red_5ive likes this.
post #1002 of 1016 Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha V2085 driving multi-room audio?

All,

After roughly a year of annoyance and frustration with my old Yamaha V675 not having a digital out and having to do an HDMI>Analog converter that resulted in an HDMI handshake fail roughly 40% of the time, I finally pulled the trigger on a V2085 during their latest sale. While I'm quite a bit happier with the receiver, I'm wondering if there's a way to set it up so that I can skip my second Onkyo receiver for multi-room audio.

I currently have a 5-speaker setup in my TV room, two speakers in my kitchen, and two in my dining room. In the past, if I wanted to send audio to my kitchen/dining, I'd just turn on the second Onkyo receiver and thanks to the HDMI>Analog converter - viola! - multi-room audio! I could do the same with "party mode" on the new receiver which is what I wanted, but I'm wondering if I can take it a step further and skip the second receiver.

I tried and can plug and get audio on all nine speakers on the V2085, but I'm plugging the kitchen/dining speakers into "Presence" and getting that resultant "kind of distant" surround sound in the kitchen/dining. Is there a way to basically mirror the audio channel being pushed to L/R front to these ports instead of the "surround" channel?

Secondly, bring able to turn on/off these channels when I'm not using them is pretty important, as it's fine for music but makes TV/dialog a tad echo-y across the first floor. Is there a way to set up a custom AV profile that disables these "presence" ports?

Last edited by hoqenishy; 08-14-2019 at 05:46 AM.
post #1003 of 1016 Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi guys currently have a Yamaha V685. I've got KEF Q950 towers and a sub in a 2.1 setup. Now when i play music I have it on STRAIGHT which outputs to the towers and leaves the sub silent. however I've noticed whilsts the Q950s are amazing in the mid and high end the bass could be a bit better.

One solution is setting the towers to SMALL instead of LARGE in the avr settings and then setting a crossover.

however is there a way I could just get both the sub and the towers to output low end signals all at once? From memory my older Yamaha avr's allowed me to do this but can't seem to find it in the menu settings anywhere with the V685. I mean I could just use an artificial DSP mode but then the music just sounds BAD! any ideas?

Last edited by buddy287; 08-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #1004 of 1016 Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy287 View Post
Hi guys currently have a Yamaha V685. I've got KEF Q950 towers and a sub in a 2.1 setup. Now when i play music I have it on STRAIGHT which outputs to the towers and leaves the sub silent. however I've noticed whilsts the Q950s are amazing in the mid and high end the bass could be a bit better.

One solution is setting the towers to SMALL instead of LARGE in the avr settings and then setting a crossover.

however is there a way I could just get both the sub and the towers to output low end signals all at once? From memory my older Yamaha avr's allowed me to do this but can't seem to find it in the menu settings anywhere with the V685. I mean I could just use an artificial DSP mode but then the music just sounds BAD! any ideas?

Here a good article by Bob Pariseau:

https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/6/...ss-begins-here

And from https://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin specifying your KEF.

AV Receiver / Processor:

Recommended Speaker/Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (Hz) 60 Hz
post #1005 of 1016 Old 08-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi guys!

I picked up my new RX V685 today.

What is the best way to start the setup of the new receiver (replacement for a old RX-V663)? Follow the manual? Firmware update?
post #1006 of 1016 Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH_man View Post
Hi guys!

What is the best way to start the setup of the new receiver (replacement for a old RX-V663)? Follow the manual? Firmware update?

I just ran firmware update and then did the YPAO process by sticking in the mic and done. If I didn't like anything i just went in manually and tweaked things up a little. didn't bother reading the manual as everything is so self explanatory and there's a question mark button on your remote which explains every page onscreen.
post #1007 of 1016 Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoqenishy View Post
All,

After roughly a year of annoyance and frustration with my old Yamaha V675 not having a digital out and having to do an HDMI>Analog converter that resulted in an HDMI handshake fail roughly 40% of the time, I finally pulled the trigger on a V2085 during their latest sale. While I'm quite a bit happier with the receiver, I'm wondering if there's a way to set it up so that I can skip my second Onkyo receiver for multi-room audio.

I currently have a 5-speaker setup in my TV room, two speakers in my kitchen, and two in my dining room. In the past, if I wanted to send audio to my kitchen/dining, I'd just turn on the second Onkyo receiver and thanks to the HDMI>Analog converter - viola! - multi-room audio! I could do the same with "party mode" on the new receiver which is what I wanted, but I'm wondering if I can take it a step further and skip the second receiver.

I tried and can plug and get audio on all nine speakers on the V2085, but I'm plugging the kitchen/dining speakers into "Presence" and getting that resultant "kind of distant" surround sound in the kitchen/dining. Is there a way to basically mirror the audio channel being pushed to L/R front to these ports instead of the "surround" channel?

Secondly, bring able to turn on/off these channels when I'm not using them is pretty important, as it's fine for music but makes TV/dialog a tad echo-y across the first floor. Is there a way to set up a custom AV profile that disables these "presence" ports?
If I understand what you want to do correctly, it seems you could simply use Zone 2 speaker outputs for your kitchen/dining audio. Since you are running 5.1 in Zone 1, you have two of the unit's amps available for Zone 2.
hoqenishy likes this.
post #1008 of 1016 Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer14 View Post
If I understand what you want to do correctly, it seems you could simply use Zone 2 speaker outputs for your kitchen/dining audio. Since you are running 5.1 in Zone 1, you have two of the unit's amps available for Zone 2.

Thanks Lowflyer

After your comment, I went back to the user manual - my problem was in the "power amp" setting. I guess by default it treats these as "presence", so you have to go in and explicitly label them "Zone2/3" and then in a submenu, remove Zone 3 and make both outputs Zone 2 (for my purposes).

Thanks!
post #1009 of 1016 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
tsr7850 main speaker turn off, and front speaker not available

me again... I finally got my zone 2 to play with m. zilch help, but I continue to struggle.

Is there an easy way to turn off the main speakers while playing zone 2 speakers?

Also, while setting speaker configuration I never have the option for "front speakers" no matter which setup I've chosen (7.1, 5.1. 5.1 w/bi amp, etc.) When I want to configure front speakers I get the "not available" so I use front presence because that is what the 7850 allows. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help
post #1010 of 1016 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkel View Post
me again... I finally got my zone 2 to play with m. zilch help, but I continue to struggle.

Is there an easy way to turn off the main speakers while playing zone 2 speakers?

Also, while setting speaker configuration I never have the option for "front speakers" no matter which setup I've chosen (7.1, 5.1. 5.1 w/bi amp, etc.) When I want to configure front speakers I get the "not available" so I use front presence because that is what the 7850 allows. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help

1. Double check connections. https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...627522571.html
https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...831494411.html

2. Controlling Zone2 https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...836060427.html

Basic procedure for playing back music in Zone2 is as follows.
  1. Set MAIN/ZONE 2 to “ZONE 2”.
  1. Press z (receiver power).
  • Each time you press the key, Zone2 output is enabled or disabled. When Zone2 output is enabled, “ZONE2” lights up in the front display.
  1. Use the input selection keys to select an input source.
NOTE
  • Presses NET repeatedly to select a desired network source.
  • You cannot select Bluetooth, USB and network sources exclusively for each zone. For example, if you select “SERVER” for Zone2 when “USB” is selected for the main zone, the input source for the main zone also switches to “SERVER”.

1. Start playback on the external device or select a radio station.
NOTE
  • The on-screen operations are not available for Zone2. Use the front display to control Zone2.
  • AirPlay is available in Zone2 only when AirPlay playback is ongoing in the main zone.
  • Press SCENE to select the input source and settings with just one touch using the SCENE function. For details on the SCENE function, see the following:
  • To set the sleep timer (120 min, 90 min, 60 min, 30 min, off), press SLEEP repeatedly. The Zone2 output will be disabled after a specified period of time.
  • To adjust the Zone2 volume, press VOLUME or MUTE (when using the unit’s internal amplifier).
  • To enable the Compressed Music Enhancer function, press ENHANCER.
  • The Zone2 input automatically switches in conjunction with the input source selected in the main zone when “Main Zone Sync” is selected as the Zone2 input.
  • To play back DSD audio in Zone2, select “Main Zone Sync” as the Zone2 input or use the party mode.
  • Depending on the “Remote Key” setting, the PROGRAM Key may be also available in Zone2.

CAUTION
  • To avoid unexpected noise, never play back DTS-CDs in Zone2.

Last edited by mrfranc; Yesterday at 09:58 AM.
post #1011 of 1016 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yank24 View Post
Tried scanning the thread and not sure I found my specific case, so here goes:

Just picked up the RX-v685 over the weekend. Finally decided to upgrade to a receiver that could handle 4k pass through so I could connect all my sources through the receiver (instead of managing input switching on both the TV and the receiver at the same time). Everything seems to be working as expected, with one exception.

Any time I trigger a device with that device's dedicated remote, it signals the receiver and the receiver auto-switches. But there is one exception. My xfinity DVR is not doing it. Unfortunately, that's the one I need to work the most, because it's the one my wife uses most and she really wants to be able to use the comcast remote without having to worry about keeping track of receiver inputs or other remotes.

Does anyone know of the right settings on the x1 box, or the receiver, to make sure the auto-switch is triggered from the box like all the other devices?

Gonna try one more time and see if anyone has an idea. My v685 is setup with the following devices:

PS4 Pro - HDMI 1
Roku Premiere+ - HDMI 2
Apple TV - HDMI 3
Xfinity X1 - HDMI 4
XBOX ONE - HDMI 5

HDMI Out using ARC port to a Sony 65" LED

If I turn on the PS4 or XBOX One, or press a button on either the ATV or Roku remotes, the receiver switches automatically. No matter what I press on the X1 remote, it stays on whatever input it's already on.
post #1012 of 1016 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4851 Post(s)
Liked: 3604
Quote:
Gonna try one more time and see if anyone has an idea. My v685 is setup with the following devices:

PS4 Pro - HDMI 1
Roku Premiere+ - HDMI 2
Apple TV - HDMI 3
Xfinity X1 - HDMI 4
XBOX ONE - HDMI 5

If I turn on the PS4 or XBOX One, or press a button on either the ATV or Roku remotes, the receiver switches automatically. No matter what I press on the X1 remote, it stays on whatever input it's already on.
Not sure, and I hear ARC can be a nightmare so I've never used it, but you might try turning off all manifestations of the HDMI communication protocol called HDMI-CEC (or just CEC, consumer electronics control), which goes by many names per brand unfortunately. I suspect some device is sending a code to another box in the chain.

Some devices. like many TVs and AVRs, have a "last memory mode" toggle feature where you can set it to return to a blank slate, or a set of values including things like volume , surround mode, and input, everytime it turns on. Check that too.

[ARC functionality may require some CEC to be left on, not sure.]
post #1013 of 1016 Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does Dolby Atmos work with ARC (not eARC)?

Thanks
M_C
post #1014 of 1016 Old Today, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_carpet View Post
Does Dolby Atmos work with ARC (not eARC)?

Thanks
M_C
Yes, I get Atmos from my LG smart TV Netflix and Prime apps via ARC. You may see a very, very slight lip synch issue though.
post #1015 of 1016 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoqenishy View Post
... I currently have a 5-speaker setup in my TV room, two speakers in my kitchen, and two in my dining room. In the past, if I wanted to send audio to my kitchen/dining, I'd just turn on the second Onkyo receiver and thanks to the HDMI>Analog converter - viola! - multi-room audio! I could do the same with "party mode" on the new receiver which is what I wanted, but I'm wondering if I can take it a step further and skip the second receiver.

Have you looked in the manual for the 9ch Stereo option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy287 View Post

Check pages 49 and 83 in your manual for Extra Bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH_man View Post
Hi guys!

I wouldn't update firmware just yet. There have been complaints on the forums about the most recent round of updates. If nothing's broken, don't "fix" it with an update you don't need.

If your model doesn't have a quick start guide, why not download the Yamaha AV Setup app for Android or iOS and let that guide you. Then after all the connections are done and double-checked. Run the automated YPAO setup/configuration tool.

Quote:

PS4 Pro - HDMI 1
Roku Premiere+ - HDMI 2
Apple TV - HDMI 3
Xfinity X1 - HDMI 4
XBOX ONE - HDMI 5

Sure as heck sounds like the Xfinity X1 doesn't support HDMI-CEC very well. So ... just use a configured SCENE button. That's how I turn my AVR/TV on 98% of the time. My Samsung Tv and Apple TV don't play well (the TV grabs the ARC connection after everything's turned on and ready), but it's a minor glitch solved by ... touching the appropriate SCENE button again.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1016 of 1016 Old Today, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfranc View Post
1. Double check connections. https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...627522571.html
https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...831494411.html

2. Controlling Zone2 https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...836060427.html

Basic procedure for playing back music in Zone2 is as follows.
  1. Set MAIN/ZONE 2 to “ZONE 2”.
  1. Press z (receiver power).
  • Each time you press the key, Zone2 output is enabled or disabled. When Zone2 output is enabled, “ZONE2” lights up in the front display.
  1. Use the input selection keys to select an input source.
NOTE
  • Presses NET repeatedly to select a desired network source.
  • You cannot select Bluetooth, USB and network sources exclusively for each zone. For example, if you select “SERVER” for Zone2 when “USB” is selected for the main zone, the input source for the main zone also switches to “SERVER”.

1. Start playback on the external device or select a radio station.
NOTE
  • The on-screen operations are not available for Zone2. Use the front display to control Zone2.
  • AirPlay is available in Zone2 only when AirPlay playback is ongoing in the main zone.
  • Press SCENE to select the input source and settings with just one touch using the SCENE function. For details on the SCENE function, see the following:
  • To set the sleep timer (120 min, 90 min, 60 min, 30 min, off), press SLEEP repeatedly. The Zone2 output will be disabled after a specified period of time.
  • To adjust the Zone2 volume, press VOLUME or MUTE (when using the unit’s internal amplifier).
  • To enable the Compressed Music Enhancer function, press ENHANCER.
  • The Zone2 input automatically switches in conjunction with the input source selected in the main zone when “Main Zone Sync” is selected as the Zone2 input.
  • To play back DSD audio in Zone2, select “Main Zone Sync” as the Zone2 input or use the party mode.
  • Depending on the “Remote Key” setting, the PROGRAM Key may be also available in Zone2.

CAUTION
  • To avoid unexpected noise, never play back DTS-CDs in Zone2.
Thanks, mrfranc! My connections weren't quite right. I have zone 2 working now!

I have another issue tho.... we never play two sources (one in the viewing area, and one in the kitchen because the rooms are close to each other). Which is the easiest way to play the same source in both rooms? Party mode?

I tried using the same settings for the Main and Zone 2, but the sound is out of sync. That is, the kitchen speakers lag behind the Main zone. I'm at a loss on how to remedy that.

I get that Zone 2 is neat for playing a second source, but what I really need are the old A, B or AB speaker like settings. Is that doable or are the only options Main and/or Zone 2, or Party Mode?

I hope I'm making sense. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth , hdmi 2.1 , multicast , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , wx-021 , Yamaha , yamaha reciever streaming network 685 , yamaha rx , yamaha tsr-7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page