"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 296Likes

post #1261 of 1309 Old 11-20-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMurf View Post
Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate it. I have managed to get a video feed of our cable box using the single HDMI directly to the receiver as you mentioned. The TV and receiver both appear to have arc enabled (I assume it would have to work as I'm getting a video signal). Problem now seems to be audio. I have gone through as many audio settings on the TV (TCL 4 series) and the receiver as I can find. My only luck has been to attach RCA cables as well and play TV audio through the AV input. Sounds terrible. All audio coming directly from the TV sounds great on the other hand such as Netflix etc.

So to reiterate, the only remaining issue I'm experiencing is the TV cable box audio. Are there any specific settings on the receiver or TV I should be looking for to confirm? I have a brand new HDMI cord coming in today so I will try that as well....

Once again, really appreciating the help of complete strangers here; there are good corners of the internet it seems!
Even if you didn't have ARC enabled in the tv and the receiver you would still get video just not audio, which seems to be your exact issue. The TV usually only has one HDMI input that is ARC supported. Your receiver only has one HDMI output. That single output does support ARC. have you gone into the receiver and television menus and set them both to allow ARC?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1309 Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate it. I have managed to get a video feed of our cable box using the single HDMI directly to the receiver as you mentioned. The TV and receiver both appear to have arc enabled (I assume it would have to work as I'm getting a video signal). Problem now seems to be audio. I have gone through as many audio settings on the TV (TCL 4 series) and the receiver as I can find. My only luck has been to attach RCA cables as well and play TV audio through the AV input. Sounds terrible. All audio coming directly from the TV sounds great on the other hand such as Netflix etc.

So to reiterate, the only remaining issue I'm experiencing is the TV cable box audio. Are there any specific settings on the receiver or TV I should be looking for to confirm? I have a brand new HDMI cord coming in today so I will try that as well....

Once again, really appreciating the help of complete strangers here; there are good corners of the internet it seems!

One additional comment. I only have rear surround speakers hooked up right now. Would it be possible that my cable box feed would only work for front facing speakers, or should I be hearing audio from the rears regardless?
post #1263 of 1309 Old 11-20-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
One additional comment. I only have rear surround speakers hooked up right now. Would it be possible that my cable box feed would only work for front facing speakers, or should I be hearing audio from the rears regardless?
If the audio signal from your cable box was only in stereo and you were not upmixing it to some 5.1 or higher audio format than you would not hear any sound from the rear speakers if your cable box was only sending a stereo signal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1309 Old 11-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
If the audio signal from your cable box was only in stereo and you were not upmixing it to some 5.1 or higher audio format than you would not hear any sound from the rear speakers if your cable box was only sending a stereo signal.

So, strangely it seems to work when I connect my cable box directly to the TV. I assume the ARC connection still catches that somehow despite the fact that there is no direct connection between the cable box and the Yamaha receiver....
post #1265 of 1309 Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2124 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Wait, what? Only have REAR surrounds? As in Left, Right, Center, Surround Back Left, Surround Back Right? (hockey buzzer) No.

Not even sure if the AVR lets you do this unless you have enabled the regular Surrounds without speakers (BAD IDEA!). Open the manual and set up as per the instructions for 5.1, which is Left, Center, Right, Surround Left, Surround Right, subwoofer. Or if that's not possible do 3.1: Left, Center, Right, subwoofer.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1266 of 1309 Old 11-23-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do I modify "scenes" in TSR-7850?

Sorry but I've not found an answer yet to this by searching. How do I modify or change the default settings in the "scenes" of a TSR-7850?
I've only found the setting to activate or deactivate any scene by just clicking the boxes on or off (and accepting the default settings).

PER
-----------------------------------------------
I'm one of the few that shouldn't be allowed to die...
post #1267 of 1309 Old 11-23-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5546 Post(s)
Liked: 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by perosete View Post
Sorry but I've not found an answer yet to this by searching. How do I modify or change the default settings in the "scenes" of a TSR-7850?
I've only found the setting to activate or deactivate any scene by just clicking the boxes on or off (and accepting the default settings).
The way it works is you invoke the conditions you seek and then you lock it in to a particular "Scene" button by pressing the particular Scene button continuously for about 4 seconds. "SET Complete" will be displayed on the front panel display showing you have successfully locked in the preferred conditions.
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 11-23-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #1268 of 1309 Old 11-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The way it works is you invoke the conditions you seek and then you lock it in to a particular "Scene" button by pressing the the particular Scene button continuously for about 4 seconds. "SET Complete" will be displayed on the front panel display showong you have successfully locked in the preferred conditions.
Ha! Great! Thanks.

PER
-----------------------------------------------
I'm one of the few that shouldn't be allowed to die...
post #1269 of 1309 Old 11-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I own an RX-V2085 and I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic DP-UB820. Can you think of any reason why these two might not play nice together?

Is there a different player that you would consider to be a better choice?

My TV is relatively new but nothing special (Samsung UN55NU800DFXZA). I tried to include a link to the television specs, but new guys like me are not allowed that liberty.
post #1270 of 1309 Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieSurfer View Post
Spoiler!
If that’s a BD player, should be fine. Any reason why they WOULDN’T work together?

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1271 of 1309 Old 11-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How can you even tell eArc is working? I checked the menu and it doesnt have an option to turn it on or off like my tv does. flashed latest firmware
post #1272 of 1309 Old 11-24-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post
How can you even tell eArc is working? I checked the menu and it doesnt have an option to turn it on or off like my tv does. flashed latest firmware
If HDMI-ARC is carrying anything higher than Dolby Digital Plus or PCM 2.0, then it must be working. Check the Audio Information onscreen info.

post #1273 of 1309 Old 11-25-2019, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
If HDMI-ARC is carrying anything higher than Dolby Digital Plus or PCM 2.0, then it must be working. Check the Audio Information onscreen info.
Is there any way to check off screen? Since I'm passing eARC data from the TV I'm not able to pull up the on screen menu
post #1274 of 1309 Old 11-25-2019, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Yamaha RX-V585 and Virtual Surround Back Speakers

Hi,

In the RX-V585 product page is clearly mentioned the ability to engage the ability to use the virtual back surround speakers. However I don't see any mention into the setup menu or into the manual. The big brother RX-V686 has the option into the setup menu: “Sound” > “Virtual Speaker” > “VSBS”.

So what's wrong with that? How can I enable the VSBS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2019-11-25 alle 11.26.17.png
Views:	16
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2645334  
Tsip likes this.

Video: LG OLED 55 B7v | Calibration: i1D3 OEM, Calman Enthusiast.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V585, Polk s15e, Polk s10e, Polk s35ce, Klipsch N12 SW.
post #1275 of 1309 Old 11-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsip View Post
I noticed in user manual and saw someone else saying that the RX-V685/RX-A780/RX-A880/TSR-7850 models do not allow for a set-up for what I call "6.1" surround; i.e. not using a using a center channel speaker. My old Onkyo works very well set up that way (as well as my previous older Sony did). I really like not having a center channel speaker (for several reasons). Is there a way around this with these mid-level AVRs or another comparable brand that can be used this way? Main important upgrades for me would be 2 HDMI outs with ARC capability.
6.1 means a front center and a rear center. This feature is no longer supported by most brands, as I understand it.

Using no centers, front nor back, but with a sub is called 4.1. They all support that. The old term for this was "phantom center" because the front L and R each get half of the center channel content and create the illusion of a front center.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1276 of 1309 Old 11-27-2019, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
Question Center Channel options

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
6.1 means a front center and a rear center. This feature is no longer supported by most brands, as I understand it.

Using no centers, front nor back, but with a sub is called 4.1. They all support that. The old term for this was "phantom center" because the front L and R each get half of the center channel content and create the illusion of a front center.
Ok..thanks for the clarification. I have 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, 2 backs, and 1 sub. So, bottom line: I am very happy using my AVR in "phantom center" mode. Does anyone know if any mid-level AVRs by Yamaha or comparable makes allow for this. Onkyo/Pioneer newer models would probably not work for me because of HDMI issues (I have a long HDMI cable run).

Proverbs 26:11
post #1277 of 1309 Old 11-27-2019, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Ok..thanks for the clarification. I have 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, 2 backs, and 1 sub. So, bottom line: I am very happy using my AVR in "phantom center" mode. Does anyone know if any mid-level AVRs by Yamaha or comparable makes allow for this. Onkyo/Pioneer newer models would probably not work for me because of HDMI issues (I have a long HDMI cable run).

I'm reading the manual of TSR-7850. On page 110, it says that the center speaker can be turned off (set to None) and the front speakers will produce center channel audio.
Tsip likes this.
post #1278 of 1309 Old 11-27-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent.5 View Post
I'm reading the manual of TSR-7850. On page 110, it says that the center speaker can be turned off (set to None) and the front speakers will produce center channel audio.
Ouch....missed that...thanks

Proverbs 26:11
post #1279 of 1309 Old 11-27-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Ok..thanks for the clarification. I have 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, 2 backs, and 1 sub. So, bottom line: I am very happy using my AVR in "phantom center" mode. Does anyone know if any mid-level AVRs by Yamaha or comparable makes allow for this.
Any Yamaha describing itself as being "7.1", when the user selects "center speaker: None" in the initial setup should fit the bill. { I see now I'm late to the party.}

Also as far as I know when you run the auto calibrate mode, "YPAO", it pings all the speakers with a supplied test mic and will automatically go into phantom center mode when it hears nothing from that ping.
Tsip likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 11-27-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #1280 of 1309 Old 11-28-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
If that’s a BD player, should be fine. Any reason why they WOULDN’T work together?

Yes, it is BD player, and my reading on this site indicates that it is pretty good. I don't know of a reason why they wouldn't work together. I thought that if there were some form of incompatibility between the two devices, the folks participating in this thread might know the details.

Happy Thanksgiving!
post #1281 of 1309 Old 11-28-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post
Is there any way to check off screen? Since I'm passing eARC data from the TV I'm not able to pull up the on screen menu
Hrm, good point. You're limited to what the front panel display offers ... maybe the web interface or Android/iOS app. Trying the web interface, append /Setup to it to enter advanced options, which might display the audio input information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieSurfer View Post
Yes, it is BD player, and my reading on this site indicates that it is pretty good. I don't know of a reason why they wouldn't work together. I thought that if there were some form of incompatibility between the two devices, the folks participating in this thread might know the details.
HDMI interconnected devices will now negotiate compatibillty and capability, the likelihood of a 2018 AVR and 2018/2019 BD player "not working together" are practically nil. Like asking, "Buying a Tesla, will it charge from my town's electricity?"

post #1282 of 1309 Old 11-30-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Zone 2 and sub?

I'm considering buying the TSR-7850...it's on sale at Costco now...seems like a great deal.

Will Zone 2, when set to be powered by the internal amp, utilize a subwoofer?

Last edited by am_dew; 11-30-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #1283 of 1309 Old 11-30-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
I'm considering buying the TSR-7850...it's on sale at Costco now for USD$xxx...seems like a great deal.

Will Zone 2, when set to be powered by the internal amp, utilize a subwoofer?
1. No discussion of street prices outside the deal threads, please.

2. I believe you only have 2.0 stereo speaker terminals, so you'd have to hook Zone 2 through a subwoofer in passive mode (using the sub's high pass filter).

post #1284 of 1309 Old 11-30-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
1. No discussion of street prices outside the deal threads, please.

2. I believe you only have 2.0 stereo speaker terminals, so you'd have to hook Zone 2 through a subwoofer in passive mode (using the sub's high pass filter).

Thank you very much. I will edit my OP and remove the price mention. I figured I would probably have to run the Zone 2 speaker lines to the sub first.
post #1285 of 1309 Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New User w/ Power Issues

Here is my setup.
AVR = TSR-7850 w/ latest FW (replaced an Onkyo TX-SR607; didn't have the issues described below)
HDMIOUT1 / AUDIO1 = Samsung PN58C6500 Plasma TV w/ optical audio output (ARC not supported so disabled)
HDMI1 = PS4
HDMI2 = Roku

Issues:
  1. When I power on my TV, Roku, PS4 CEC doesn't power on the AVR. I always have to power it on manually. I have forced 1.4 config for all HDMI for compatibility's sake. If AVR is already powered and ROKU or PS4 are powered on the AVR will auto switch inputs.
  2. After hour(s) of time while listening to the Tuner and Broadcast TV the AVR will power off. I can power it back on without issue and it picks up where it left off. I can't find any sleep timer set. This has happened ~ 4 times now.
UPDATE: May have figured out #2 . Auto Power Standby was set to 2 hours. I forgot about it but also ignored it thinking that the AVR was active, but it seems if the AVR is on TUNER or AUDIO1 it will start the countdown. My guess is any non-HDMI inputs aren't counting as active.

Last edited by AMinorThreat; 12-01-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #1286 of 1309 Old 12-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hrm, good point. You're limited to what the front panel display offers ... maybe the web interface or Android/iOS app. Trying the web interface, append /Setup to it to enter advanced options, which might display the audio input information.

HDMI interconnected devices will now negotiate compatibillty and capability, the likelihood of a 2018 AVR and 2018/2019 BD player "not working together" are practically nil. Like asking, "Buying a Tesla, will it charge from my town's electricity?"

There's an app for this receiver? Interesting.

Also does anyone know if we can have multiple YPAO presets? I have a few different sitting positions and it'd be nice to have a toggle
post #1287 of 1309 Old 12-02-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question New Yamaha A780 Center / Front L-R Channel / Issue, Configuration Help Request

All:
New to this forum, as well as an AV novice; so, please bare with me.

Just acquired a new LG OLED55C9 and a Yamaha TSR-7850 (essentially the Costco version of the RX-A780). And am now in the midst of configuring both. My issue is how the receiver distributes sound to the front three speakers for differing programs. In some cases, the sound is being processed correctly to all speakers (front, center, surround, etc.), in some cases the front sound is directed to ONLY the center channel or in some cases the front sound is directed to ONLY the Front L-R channel(s) - creating a hollow, tin-ny sound from the L/R speakers. Maybe the issue is associated with not having the AVR configured correctly OR maybe it is my understanding of how differing programs are going to be processed by the AVR - I just don't know. I would like to think the AVR is going to do the best it can with the quality of the audio signals it is receiving from the individual programs it is receiving. And I would like to think that I only need ONE correct HDMI (2.0+) cable to connect the OLED TV and the Yamaha AVR (since they are both HDMI ARC capable) and without having to use another optical digital cable to connect the two.
I have gone through the LG OLED setup / configuration process (and believe I have all the configuration options set correctly) and I have gone through the Yamaha AVR setup / configuration process (other than running the Yamaha YPAO program since my rear surround speakers are not yet setup) and I believe I have the Yamaha configuration items setup correctly. When complete, I will have a fully functioning 7.1 system in the "Main" zone plus a Zone-2.
Any thoughts on configuration items I must have set correctly OR alternately what I am missing in my understanding of the sound distribution in the front three speakers based on the television programs being viewed would be very mush appreciated.

Thank you vey much, in advance.
Dave H ("Grumps")
post #1288 of 1309 Old 12-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 196
What sources do you use and how are they connected?
Do you use the TV apps?

Do you check what sound mode is used when you think it sounds right or off?
And what the input signal type is.
post #1289 of 1309 Old 12-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGrumps View Post
All:
New to this forum, as well as an AV novice; so, please bare with me.

Just acquired a new LG OLED55C9 and a Yamaha TSR-7850 (essentially the Costco version of the RX-A780). And am now in the midst of configuring both. My issue is how the receiver distributes sound to the front three speakers for differing programs. In some cases, the sound is being processed correctly to all speakers (front, center, surround, etc.), in some cases the front sound is directed to ONLY the center channel or in some cases the front sound is directed to ONLY the Front L-R channel(s) - creating a hollow, tin-ny sound from the L/R speakers. Maybe the issue is associated with not having the AVR configured correctly OR maybe it is my understanding of how differing programs are going to be processed by the AVR - I just don't know. I would like to think the AVR is going to do the best it can with the quality of the audio signals it is receiving from the individual programs it is receiving. And I would like to think that I only need ONE correct HDMI (2.0+) cable to connect the OLED TV and the Yamaha AVR (since they are both HDMI ARC capable) and without having to use another optical digital cable to connect the two.
I have gone through the LG OLED setup / configuration process (and believe I have all the configuration options set correctly) and I have gone through the Yamaha AVR setup / configuration process (other than running the Yamaha YPAO program since my rear surround speakers are not yet setup) and I believe I have the Yamaha configuration items setup correctly. When complete, I will have a fully functioning 7.1 system in the "Main" zone plus a Zone-2.
Any thoughts on configuration items I must have set correctly OR alternately what I am missing in my understanding of the sound distribution in the front three speakers based on the television programs being viewed would be very mush appreciated.

Thank you vey much, in advance.
Dave H ("Grumps")
Have you tried the test tones and or YPAO to see if you have correct connections. (regardless of whether you have all you speakers connected, you can always run it again when you wan to correct the sound)
Your issue also sounds a bit like one I had with sounds coming out of different speakers at random. (RXV1085) My issue ended back at the service center where some soldering was need to correct the problem with a volume control point - has been fine every since.
post #1290 of 1309 Old 12-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I posted this as well over in the Sony TV owners thread, but I thought better of it and posted it here as well. If this violates some posting rule, I apologize and kindly ask the moderators to delete the duplicate post.

I'm stumped a little bit and need your help. I'm trying to get ARC to work properly. All cables are certified high speed Monoprice.

My setup:
TV: Sony 900F
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V485
Blu-ray player: LG UBK80
Streaming box: Apple TV 4k
Cable box: Arris

All devices are hooked up to the receiver through individual HDMI ports and the receiver is hooked up to the TV using the ARC hdmi port. I disabled audio passthrough in the receiver so it plays the sound and nothing can come out of the TV speakers. I turned on CEC in the TV and the receiver to enable ARC. CEC is turned off in the Apple TV and there's no options anywhere to change CEC in the LG blu-ray player of cable box. I'm disappointed that LG doesn't have any CEC options to manipulate.

Everything works exactly as it should except for one thing: When I play a blu-ray disc, the receiver changes the sound input from the blu-ray player's HDMI port to the port the receiver uses for ARC and no sound comes out. When I manually change it back to the blu-ray HDMI port while the disc is playing, the player stops playing the disc.

Sound works as it should when playing content from the Apple TV and cable box.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or this is just the consequences of CEC and ARC?

It seems like this created some infinite sound ARC loop. Could this in any way damage my system?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Edit for clarity:

ARC assigns audio to "AUDIO 1" (on receiver). If I select cable box on my receiver (HDMI 2 on receiver), sound from my cable box comes out from the tv source (HDMI 2 on receiver). If I select Apple TV (HDMI 3 on receiver), sound comes out of the Apple TV (HDMI 3). If I select my tv's native app, ARC changes sound to AUDIO 1. If I select blu ray (HDMI 1 on receiver) and begin to play a disc, sound switches to AUDIO 1 and no sound comes out. When I hit HDMI 1 to try to force sound, the disk stops playing. Super weird.

It makes no sense that 2 devices work fine but 1 doesn't.

Last edited by hodgjy; 12-03-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth , hdmi 2.1 , hdmi arc , lg oled c9 , multicast , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , speaker configuration , wx-021 , Yamaha , yamaha a780 , yamaha reciever streaming network 685 , yamaha rx , yamaha ts-7850 , yamaha tsr-7850