"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 363Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1381 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,161
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borka105 View Post
I just received the Yamaha TSR 850 receiver. I’ve done the setup, but am experiencing 2 issues I cannot resolve:

1) My goal: I’d like to have a standard 5.1 setup in my family room and then setup a separate Zone 2 to play a variety of speakers that are connected to a 4 pair speaker selector. Those speakers are located in family room (in the ceiling), hallway, and living room. The speaker selector let’s me toggle which speakers to activate so that I can play music throughout the house.

What I’ve done- for the 5.1 I’ve got the FL, C, FR, SW, SL, SR plugged into the receiver. I then have the wires from the speaker selector plugged into SP1. When I run the YPAO the receiver though is identifying what I have plugged into SP1 as FPL & FPR and creating a 5.1.2 setup (FL, C, FR, SW, SL, SR, FPL, FPR). As I result, when I switch to Zone 2 it outputs the 5.1 configuration of (FL, C, FR, SW, SR, SR). This makes no sense to me... and I can’t seem to do anything to solve the issue.

I can’t figure out how to simply have it output FL, C, FR, SW, SL, SR as Zone 1 and then treat SP1 (speaker selector speakers) as my Zone 2 speakers ONLY.


2) When I switch to HMDI 2 for Comcast Cable I am seeing a very saturated/ tinted picture with no audio and the receiver is displaying the message: “Input Reference SW”. I’ve tried to reset the comcast box, try different hdmi points, different hdmi cables and nothing is solving the issue. Any idea on what this description mean? Any idea on why this is happening? Everything worked fine on my previous Sony Receiver which I replaced with this one for the 4K output.

Thank you all in advance
1. Run YPAO with the zone 2 folderol disconnected. As far as the speaker configuration, your manual should illustrate what you're trying to achieve, you'll then select the appropriate config in the AVR settings.

2. Plug the cable box into TV ... same? If you've tried all the HDMI IN ports and swapped cables, I'm inclined to think the cable box's config is wrong, or something's wrong with the AVR. I don't recognize the message "Input Reference SW," so calling Yamaha Support is probably in order to get a definition.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1382 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 08:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
1. Run YPAO with the zone 2 folderol disconnected. As far as the speaker configuration, your manual should illustrate what you're trying to achieve, you'll then select the appropriate config in the AVR settings.

2. Plug the cable box into TV ... same? If you've tried all the HDMI IN ports and swapped cables, I'm inclined to think the cable box's config is wrong, or something's wrong with the AVR. I don't recognize the message "Input Reference SW," so calling Yamaha Support is probably in order to get a definition.
I tried your suggestion for #1 but then then the AVR doesn’t recognize at all what’s plugged into SP1. It shows the same speakers as Zone 1 and Zone 2.

I am not following why it’s not reading what I have in SP1 as Zone 2.

Unfortunately, I am also not seeing anywhere where I can exactly specify which speakers I want it to use for Zone. It seems odd that this manual selection/ config is not available unless I am not seeing where in the settings to do this.
Borka105 is offline  
post #1383 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 223
The manual tells you to use one set of binding posts for Z2 in a 7.1 and another in a 5.1.2 with a second zone (SP1 vs SP2)

You set your 7.1 vs 5.1.2 selection in "Speaker -> Power Amp Assign" and that tells you which set of binding posts to use for Zone 2 (SP1 vs SP2). Leave the other empty for just a 5.1 setup.

When you run YPAO it will not detect the missing speakers not attached to the OTHER binding posts (SP1 or SP2) and you should then get your desired 5.1 "always" results.

This is all part of the "dynamic assignment feature" such that you can "normally" have a 5.1.2 or 7.1 in your main room that then changes to 5.1 when Zone 2 is powered on (the amp for two main room speakers is dynamically reassigned to the Zone 2 speakers).

Here is an excerpt but I encourage you to read the manual on this. The pictures provided are quite good compared to most manuals (IMO).

https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...317147275.html
https://manual.yamaha.com/av/18/tsr7...831697803.html
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...om_U_En_D0.pdf

I have a 5.1.2 with a second zone on the patio. Sorry for the orientation, I never have any luck on this site with rotating images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borka105 View Post
I just received the Yamaha TSR 850 receiver. I’ve done the setup, but am experiencing 2 issues I cannot resolve:

1) My goal: I’d like to have a standard 5.1 setup in my family room and then setup a separate Zone 2 to play a variety of speakers that are connected to a 4 pair speaker selector. Those speakers are located in family room (in the ceiling), hallway, and living room. The speaker selector let’s me toggle which speakers to activate so that I can play music throughout the house.

What I’ve done- for the 5.1 I’ve got the FL, C, FR, SW, SL, SR plugged into the receiver. I then have the wires from the speaker selector plugged into SP1. When I run the YPAO the receiver though is identifying what I have plugged into SP1 as FPL & FPR and creating a 5.1.2 setup (FL, C, FR, SW, SL, SR, FPL, FPR). As I result, when I switch to Zone 2 it outputs the 5.1 configuration of (FL, C, FR, SW, SR, SR). This makes no sense to me... and I can’t seem to do anything to solve the issue.

I can’t figure out how to simply have it output FL, C, FR, SW, SL, SR as Zone 1 and then treat SP1 (speaker selector speakers) as my Zone 2 speakers ONLY.


2) When I switch to HMDI 2 for Comcast Cable I am seeing a very saturated/ tinted picture with no audio and the receiver is displaying the message: “Input Reference SW”. I’ve tried to reset the comcast box, try different hdmi points, different hdmi cables and nothing is solving the issue. Any idea on what this description mean? Any idea on why this is happening? Everything worked fine on my previous Sony Receiver which I replaced with this one for the 4K output.

Thank you all in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191227_111432.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	624.1 KB
ID:	2659660  

Last edited by rakstr; 12-27-2019 at 09:17 AM.
rakstr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1384 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Elton Noway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
[snip]...
I have a 5.1.2 with a second zone on the patio. Sorry for the orientation, I never have any luck on this site with rotating images
I've been using IMGUR for years. It not only creates a link you can use for posting photos in forums and message boards... but lets you edit and rotate images as needed. (Thumbnail is the original image)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191227_111432.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	624.1 KB
ID:	2659708  

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Panasonic DP-UB820

Last edited by Elton Noway; 12-27-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Elton Noway is offline  
post #1385 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been doing as you described. I’ve also read and reread the manual over and over. I am just very new to this...

My latest setup is the 5.1 in the main room and then the Speaker Selector output for zone 2 plugged into SP2. The YPAO is correctly no longer seeing the FPL and FPR in the main zone, but once again displays the Zone 2 speakers as the same as 5.1 setup (FL, FR, C, SR, SL).

Maybe I am not understanding the premise of Zone 2. I want the option for the receiver to cut out the sound from Zone 1 and just play Zone 2 OR mimic each other (Party Mode) OR play different outputs in each zone. All I am seeing right now is either Zone 2 being ignored all together or the same Output coming out for Zone 1 & Zone 2.
Borka105 is offline  
post #1386 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seems to be working! As I switch between Zone 2 and Main on the remote I can start to definitely control what’s playing.

Now I am not sure if/how to get different things to play in each zone, but I am now able to successfully have something play in Zone 2 while Zone 1 is silent and vice versa.

I guess my next item is whether it’s worth doing a true 5.1.2 setup since 2 of the zone 2 speakers are in the ceiling of my main zone and could be used for a true 5.1.2 setup and then my Zone 2 would be comprised of fewer speakers. Is a 5.1.2 setup that much better from an enjoyment perspective compared to a 5.1 setup?

Thank you.
Borka105 is offline  
post #1387 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 223
This is one of the very few forums that even if I rotate the original it shows up "as taken". I'll live with it as I don't want another tool that exposes my PC/photos to the web (making an assumption since you said it creates a link).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
I've been using IMGUR for years. It not only creates a link you can use for posting photos in forums and message boards... but lets you edit and rotate images as needed. (Thumbnail is the original image)

rakstr is offline  
post #1388 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 223
For ME the easiest way to control Zone output and volume is via the Yamaha app from the Playstore or iTunes.

There are also web access interfaces as "IP ADDRESS OF 7850" and "IP ADDRESS OF 7850/setup/". YES you need the last "/" on the second one. For THIS reason I include my 7850 as a fixed DHCP map in my router so it always has the same IP.

You can also use the front panel and the OSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borka105 View Post
I have been doing as you described. I’ve also read and reread the manual over and over. I am just very new to this...

My latest setup is the 5.1 in the main room and then the Speaker Selector output for zone 2 plugged into SP2. The YPAO is correctly no longer seeing the FPL and FPR in the main zone, but once again displays the Zone 2 speakers as the same as 5.1 setup (FL, FR, C, SR, SL).

Maybe I am not understanding the premise of Zone 2. I want the option for the receiver to cut out the sound from Zone 1 and just play Zone 2 OR mimic each other (Party Mode) OR play different outputs in each zone. All I am seeing right now is either Zone 2 being ignored all together or the same Output coming out for Zone 1 & Zone 2.
rakstr is offline  
post #1389 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Trapskin View Post
Same post with better grammer
I have a similar issue with V385 receiver, 2 months after purchase stopped getting video and audio output from my 4K bluray, but bypassing receiver with same cables showed that the bluray and tv working as it should. Contacted Yamaha support and they suggested doing a hard reset (as doing a power off/on only would fix the issue for a day or so). That did the trick, for about six months until same exact issue happened again this week. By doing a hard reset I lose all custom room settings, so not something I want to do frequently. This time around I also did a firmware update, so hoping this is an issue that has been fixed along the way (went from 1.02 to 1.06). Reason I discovered this forum was to see if anyone was having similar problems.
Chris Witeck is offline  
post #1390 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My current setup routing is as follows:

Source > Yamaha Receiver > Hue Sync Box > TV > Sound Bar Via Optical.

I am happy with my soundbar and only purchased this yamaha receiver because the input selection for the hue sync box is not available with the Harmony Hub.
My issue is that by default the sound output of the yamaha receiver must be through the speakers (that I do not have!)
I purchased this unit without a remote and cannot find a way to change the output of sound to HDMI instead of speakers.

Before adding the receiver everything worked as intended with the sound. Any advice on how to get sound working again?

Thanks in advance
Tony Costanzo is offline  
post #1391 of 1753 Old 12-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Newbie
 
chevell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On my Apple TV 4K and Vizio 4K TV, Dolby Vision only works when directly connected to each other. When I connect the Yamaha AVR in the middle, however, I can only get HDR10. Dolby Vision isn’t an option. I have set the 4K mode to 1 and tried pure direct. Made sure I’m using the HDCP compliant ports and am using 18Gbps cables. Any ideas? Thanks!
chevell is offline  
post #1392 of 1753 Old 12-28-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,161
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Costanzo View Post
My current setup routing is as follows:

Source > Yamaha Receiver > Hue Sync Box > TV > Sound Bar Via Optical.

I am happy with my soundbar and only purchased this yamaha receiver because the input selection for the hue sync box is not available with the Harmony Hub.
My issue is that by default the sound output of the yamaha receiver must be through the speakers (that I do not have!)
I purchased this unit without a remote and cannot find a way to change the output of sound to HDMI instead of speakers.

Before adding the receiver everything worked as intended with the sound. Any advice on how to get sound working again?

Thanks in advance
I answered you in the other thread. Unfortunately for the RX-V*85 models we have some topic overlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevell View Post
On my Apple TV 4K and Vizio 4K TV, Dolby Vision only works when directly connected to each other. When I connect the Yamaha AVR in the middle, however, I can only get HDR10. Dolby Vision isn’t an option. I have set the 4K mode to 1 and tried pure direct. Made sure I’m using the HDCP compliant ports and am using 18Gbps cables. Any ideas? Thanks!
Not sure, you might have to update firmware for DV support as with the *83 models. What version are you on? Also: check which HDMI version you're set to in Advanced Setup -- you might have to be in Mode 1.

This thread's firmware update log is in post 51.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-28-2019 at 10:46 AM.
ChromeJob is online now  
post #1393 of 1753 Old 12-28-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,161
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
ChromeJob is online now  
post #1394 of 1753 Old 12-28-2019, 12:51 PM
Newbie
 
chevell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVR is running latest firmware. Not sure what’s up here but bypassing the amp for video is working to make DV work. It just looks terrible in low light. SDR looks much better. Not sure if it’s the TV or the ATV.

Ideas?
chevell is offline  
post #1395 of 1753 Old 12-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
artseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Front Display Dimming Function

I'm thinking about getting the Yamaha TSR-7850. I noticed that the front display can be dimmed from -4 to 0. Can someone tell me if -4 is "off." I like to have a very dark set of components under my TV. Thanks. (PS: I know I can use a film to cover but there are times when I want to see the display). Art

Art in Seattle
artseattle is offline  
post #1396 of 1753 Old 12-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone speak to whether they change the scenes when listening to programming or if they leave it at “auto”? I see so many options in the app, but wasn’t sure what the preferred method/approach was.

E.g. watching a football game vs. a movie...

Thanks!
Borka105 is offline  
post #1397 of 1753 Old 12-29-2019, 09:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rephrasing my original question (Re: Quirky Music Cast speakers link to TSR-7850)

I have my main AV system (TSR-7850) and 2 old Yamaha Music Cast speakers (WX-010) connected to and recognized by the Music Cast app. I can start Music Cast and link either of the 2 speakers (or both) to the main AV link. No problems there.

But, here's where I'm stuck: Without running Music Cast app (IOW, it's "off" and not residing in memory), when I turn on my main AV system, one of the speakers also turns "On." Usually the same speaker. Only way I have found to prevent an unwanted power "on" is to unplug it -- or mute it.

Any ideas why this is happening? Better yet, how can I prevent it?

TIA

PER
-----------------------------------------------
I'm one of the few that shouldn't be allowed to die...
perosete is offline  
post #1398 of 1753 Old 12-29-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,161
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by artseattle View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Yamaha TSR-7850. I noticed that the front display can be dimmed from -4 to 0. Can someone tell me if -4 is "off." I like to have a very dark set of components under my TV. Thanks. (PS: I know I can use a film to cover but there are times when I want to see the display). Art
-4 is not all the way off AFAIK. If you use a semi-opaque film cover you should be able to read it at 0, then it would be almost completely dark at -4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borka105 View Post
Can anyone speak to whether they change the scenes when listening to programming or if they leave it at “auto”? I see so many options in the app, but wasn’t sure what the preferred method/approach was.

E.g. watching a football game vs. a movie...
Um,... what? Referring to p. 126 ("Configuring the Scene settings"), what is "auto?"

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is online now  
post #1399 of 1753 Old 12-29-2019, 05:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently switched from an older but still great Samsung Plasma F8500 and Denon Receiver to a new LG OLED C9 65” and Yamaha TSR-7850 from Costco due to the great deals and warranty as well as wanting to enjoy 4K and HDR for movies and gaming. Unfortunately, it’s been one headache after another getting the TV and receiver to play nicely. At first I had major issues getting 4K content to work and that was remedied by purchasing newer high speed HDMI Cables. Then I had a consistent issue with the receiver deciding to switch to the Audio 1 input all by itself which is still ongoing.

My main issue and question is with the delay between switching inputs from the time I push the button to the new input image appearing on screen. I have HDMI-CEC turned on with the TV and ARC and HDMI control enabled with the receiver as well as the ARC HDMI input on both the TV and receiver in use. If I’m switching from the Apple TV to Cable for instance, the delay will be over 10+ seconds before the new input is ready to go! It seems like the tv and receiver fight each other to decide how to get to the new input with the screen going black, then to an LG no input screen, then back to black, then a different LG screen, then to the LG no input and finally to the new input I selected.

I’ve tried switching off the CEC on the tv and having the receiver do all the work but that didn’t seem to help at all. The same issue occurs when turning everything on and off with the power on button, with the receiver taking 7+ seconds longer than the tv to turn on and then another lengthy period of time before finding the right input. Is there something I’m missing here because it’s driving me nuts? I appreciate any advice or tips because I’m ready to return the receiver at this point because this was never once a problem with my older non-4K Denon receiver.
OBmoto is offline  
post #1400 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 06:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Um,... what? Referring to p. 126 ("Configuring the Scene settings"), what is "auto?"
An auto program means no adjustment or editing just the original, right ?

I always hear that these programs ruin the true experience so I always use auto but yesterday I tried Standard and I really liked since it gives me more of my sides speaker which is really bothering me and and wondering if is it a receiver issue ,thanks
dabdoub81 is offline  
post #1401 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,161
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdoub81 View Post
An auto program means no adjustment or editing just the original, right ?

I always hear that these programs ruin the true experience so I always use auto but yesterday I tried Standard and I really liked since it gives me more of my sides speaker which is really bothering me and and wondering if is it a receiver issue ,thanks
The SCENES function the OP referred to doesn't have an "auto" setting. They may be referring to Cinema DSP, or Surround Decode (Dolby Surround, DTS), or something else. I'm really not sure. Give me a page reference in the manual and then I'll probably grok what's talking about.

As far as playback modes, I suggest new users put the receiver in "Straight" mode until familiarized yourself with the other listening options in the manual.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is online now  
post #1402 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,161
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBmoto View Post
I recently switched from an older but still great Samsung Plasma F8500 and Denon Receiver to a new LG OLED C9 65” and Yamaha TSR-7850 from Costco due to the great deals and warranty as well as wanting to enjoy 4K and HDR for movies and gaming. Unfortunately, it’s been one headache after another getting the TV and receiver to play nicely. At first I had major issues getting 4K content to work and that was remedied by purchasing newer high speed HDMI Cables. Then I had a consistent issue with the receiver deciding to switch to the Audio 1 input all by itself which is still ongoing.

My main issue and question is with the delay between switching inputs from the time I push the button to the new input image appearing on screen. I have HDMI-CEC turned on with the TV and ARC and HDMI control enabled with the receiver as well as the ARC HDMI input on both the TV and receiver in use. If I’m switching from the Apple TV to Cable for instance, the delay will be over 10+ seconds before the new input is ready to go! It seems like the tv and receiver fight each other to decide how to get to the new input with the screen going black, then to an LG no input screen, then back to black, then a different LG screen, then to the LG no input and finally to the new input I selected.

I’ve tried switching off the CEC on the tv and having the receiver do all the work but that didn’t seem to help at all. The same issue occurs when turning everything on and off with the power on button, with the receiver taking 7+ seconds longer than the tv to turn on and then another lengthy period of time before finding the right input. Is there something I’m missing here because it’s driving me nuts? I appreciate any advice or tips because I’m ready to return the receiver at this point because this was never once a problem with my older non-4K Denon receiver.
HDMI-CEC can be finicky depending upon the manufacturer. Read back in this thread a few pages and you'll see examples. Your example of the TV making the receiver switch to Audio 1 (the HDMI-ARC input IIRC) is one I experience too -- when my Samsung TV turns on. My solution is to have my TV on already, then use the AVR's SCENE buttons to switch everything.

The conventional forum wisdom is to buy 4K HDMI cables that are "Certified," it's too easy to buy brands and cables that are not necessarily reliable. Put the Receiver video processing in "Through" vice "Processing," this may help switching delays a bit. 4K UHD content has way more bits to send through cables, so understand that there's going to be a bit more syncing and thinking on all these components' part.

My 2¢: stick with the receiver a while longer. You're probably just climbing a learning curve, and you have a generous return window.
rakstr likes this.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is online now  
post #1403 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 08:07 AM
Member
 
am_dew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
Has anyone replaced an Onkyo TX-NR609 with the TSR-7850 (or equivalent Yamaha) and if so, how do they compare and which one do you prefer and why?

I bought the TSR-7850 from Costco and installed it, replacing an Onkyo TX-NR609. I have a standard 5.1 speaker configuration. I ran the YPAO calibration and was somewhat disappointed in the results. It set all of my speakers to "Large" (all are what I would consider to be "Small") so I changed them all to small with the crossover set to 80. I am a little disappointed in the "surround" effect with this AVR as compared to the Onkyo it replaced. I even raised the level of the surround speakers by 4 dB and while that helps, it still seems a little weak. Even my girlfriend noticed this and she is not by any means into good sound like I am. I also raised the level of the sub a decent amount to get what seemed to be comparable output as what the Onkyo provided. Comments and/or suggestions welcome.
am_dew is offline  
post #1404 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 08:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdoub81 View Post
An auto program means no adjustment or editing just the original, right ?

I always hear that these programs ruin the true experience so I always use auto but yesterday I tried Standard and I really liked since it gives me more of my sides speaker which is really bothering me and and wondering if is it a receiver issue ,thanks
The SCENES function the OP referred to doesn't have an "auto" setting. They may be referring to Cinema DSP, or Surround Decode (Dolby Surround, DTS), or something else. I'm really not sure. Give me a page reference in the manual and then I'll probably grok what's talking about.

As far as playback modes, I suggest new users put the receiver in "Straight" mode until familiarized yourself with the other listening options in the manual.
Let me try something when I go home and I will update , I think you are right
dabdoub81 is offline  
post #1405 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
Has anyone replaced an Onkyo TX-NR609 with the TSR-7850 (or equivalent Yamaha) and if so, how do they compare and which one do you prefer and why?

I bought the TSR-7850 from Costco and installed it, replacing an Onkyo TX-NR609. I have a standard 5.1 speaker configuration. I ran the YPAO calibration and was somewhat disappointed in the results. It set all of my speakers to "Large" (all are what I would consider to be "Small") so I changed them all to small with the crossover set to 80. I am a little disappointed in the "surround" effect with this AVR as compared to the Onkyo it replaced. I even raised the level of the surround speakers by 4 dB and while that helps, it still seems a little weak. Even my girlfriend noticed this and she is not by any means into good sound like I am. I also raised the level of the sub a decent amount to get what seemed to be comparable output as what the Onkyo provided. Comments and/or suggestions welcome.
This is disappointing to me also and I am thinking to switch reciever over this but I want to give it a try and play around with surroundings setups since if you try standard or other movie programs you would feel more surroundings and what I am reading on the manual that can be increased and adjusted.
dabdoub81 is offline  
post #1406 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Member
 
am_dew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdoub81 View Post
This is disappointing to me also and I am thinking to switch reciever over this but I want to give it a try and play around with surroundings setups since if you try standard or other movie programs you would feel more surroundings and what I am reading on the manual that can be increased and adjusted.

Please post what you did if/when you get things sounding to your liking. I am already using the "Standard" DSP setting. I could not figure out which setting might help other than simply raising the level of the surround speakers.
am_dew is offline  
post #1407 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The learning curve on AVRs can be tricky. Especially if new to one or changing brands or even updated models.
I would not rush to return one if you get it set up. A lot of the YPAO or similar auto setups are never perfect and, you have to fiddle with it to get the settings to be right for you. Sometimes, altering a significant portion of it.
Also, don't assume you have large speakers. Even physically large speakers may be considered small. Large is a measure of the dynamic range more than size (if even I understand its use correctly!)
My “large” MMG planar fronts are actually small. Changing that setting did the trick.
Plus, learning the whole Yamaha way of using an AVR. You have to spend weeks or months with the manual to fully understand the settings, what they do, how other devices work (CEC and ARC can be a bitch if you are not slow and careful in understanding how they all interact), and over layering all of this is how much you want to invest in it. If you are a plug and play kind of person, just get a sound bar and be done with it.
Subwoofer set up is another thing people get all wrong. Let the AVR do it. Which means setting the back of the sub controls as directed by the AVR manual or what the sub makers says to do with an AVR. Then, experimenting with the best crossover setting for your speakers and room. I was at 80, then 60, then 80, no back to 60. I guess if it did 70, I'd be good. But, years later, 60 for me seems best overall. But some people want it higher… depends… The sub brand matters too… My sub is a terrible fit for planar speakers but, I really like it when it works, particularly for music. I am willing to accept it.
The variables are endless with AVR set up. Take your time. It is daunting at first but, you get a good result in the end.
lyubohar and am_dew like this.
pointthinker is offline  
post #1408 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,145
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 4441
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
I am already using the "Standard" DSP setting.
Just a heads up: "Standard" on Yamaha AVRs is rather misleading because it is nothing more than just one of their many arbitrary echo/reverb presets like "Drama", "Adventure", "Hall in Vienna", etc.. There is absolutely nothing "standard" about it and the actual content creators certainly never intended you to hear the movie/music that way.

The beauty of using plain Jane Dolby and DTS decoding, (which I guess you get when using "Straight" mode), is any echos/reverberation the creators intended is what you get: Indiana Jones when in a cavernous cave will sound like he is in a cave and R2D2 and C3PO when talking in an echo-free dessert will sound like they are in an echo-free environment [no walls equals no echos].



If you dig using a particular surround mode then by all means do so, however if your goal is to experience the performance as closely to how the artists intended (my goal, aka "high fidelity") then only use the surround format the content is encoded in.
ChromeJob likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-30-2019 at 09:06 AM.
m. zillch is offline  
post #1409 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Member
 
am_dew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Just a heads up: "Standard" on Yamaha AVRs is rather misleading because it is nothing more than just one of their many arbitrary echo/reverb presets like "Drama", "Adventure", "Hall in Vienna", etc.. There is absolutely nothing "standard" about it and the actual content creators certainly never intended you to hear the movie/music that way.

The beauty of using plain Jane Dolby and DTS decoding, (which I guess you get when using "Straight" mode), is any echos/reverberation the creators intended is what you get. Indiana Jones when in a cave will sound like he is in a cave and R2D2 and C3PO when talking in an echo-free dessert will sound like they are in an echo-free environment [no walls equals no echos].

If you dig using a particular surround mode then by all means do so, however if your goal is to experience the performance as closely to how the artists intended (my goal, aka "high fidelity") then only use the surround format the content is encoded in.

Thanks. Yes, having had a low-end Yamaha AVR, I understand what "Standard" is and you are absolutely correct. However, I personally find that "Standard" does not alter the original source in a bad way for standard Dolby D sources but I do tend to use "Straight" for the higher quality sources found in DVDs or BluRay discs.
am_dew is offline  
post #1410 of 1753 Old 12-30-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 5,161
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdoub81 View Post
This is disappointing to me also and I am thinking to switch reciever over this but I want to give it a try and play around with surroundings setups since if you try standard or other movie programs you would feel more surroundings and what I am reading on the manual that can be increased and adjusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
Please post what you did if/when you get things sounding to your liking. I am already using the "Standard" DSP setting. I could not figure out which setting might help other than simply raising the level of the surround speakers.
As M.Zillch said, "Standard" is one of the Cinema DSP modes. Stick with "Straight" or "SUR DECODE" (Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X or whatever they call it now) while you learn the AVR's bells & whistles. The AV Controller app from the Play store or iTunes on a large phone or tablet can make this easier IMHO. The essential options and modes are up front and easy to access, and the app will emulate the full remote as needed.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
ChromeJob is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
anynet , arc , audio-video receiver , avr , bluetooth , crossover frequency , discussion , dsp , hdmi , hdmi 2.1 , hdmi arc , ir codes , lg oled c9 , multicast , owner , programs , questions , r-n602 , rx-v1085 , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , Samsung , speaker configuration , subwoofer , tsr-7850 , Universal Remote , wx-021 , yahama tsr-7850 , Yamaha , yamaha a780 , yamaha reciever streaming network 685 , yamaha rx , yamaha rx-v385 , yamaha ts-7850 , yamaha tsr-7850

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off