"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #1441 of 1486 Old 01-05-2020, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hayes View Post
HI,
Have you tried downloading the Musiccast app and setting up your headphones as if they are a musiccast device. Create a "room" for the headphones to receive audio and connect that way? Did the headphones also come with a app (that you can put on you phone and use its choices to help connect. ) When I rang Yamaha about my issue the young guy rattled off that this was the easiest way!!, I will reserve my judgement on that, but it is working.

On your other note, I first had a cheap set of JBL phones that connect with no issue?? why and how I dont know, but they are not noise cancelling and that was a feature I wanted. The JBL noise cancelling ones I brought of course, found out that the brand does not support the copy protection, so of course dont know why the cheap ones do.

I should add that on occasions I have to power on the headphones a couple of times before getting the audio, even though the headphones say they are connected.
Many thanks, Peter. The MusicCast approach didn't work for me because I was unable to make the app set up its system. I have no idea why.

However, in the process I decided to unplug the AVR, wait 20 seconds, and try the normal (as described in the manual) method again. The headset paired perfectly! I also learned that having a previously paired item (such as a cellphone) nearby with its BT turned on will prevent the pairing.

My wife is now very happy and here's hoping that our discussion on this forum will help someone else. Thanks again!
Peter Hayes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1486 Old 01-08-2020, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
For the RX-V485 owners, How do you guys like this receiver ? I'm wondering how it stacks up against the Denon X1600 and S750. I want to buy a receiver with Earc.

Thanks.
I just replaced my RX-A840 with this 7850 and love it. It sounds much better straight out of the box, and that's saying a lot since the 840 was amazing. For the price Costco had it, it was too good a deal to pass up so that our entire setup is 4k/HDR/Atmos friendly. I've noticed the soundstage overall is much more open and 3d with this receiver. Instead of a great surround envelope, it's like the sounds are right in front of me or a bit above me, more localized and more lively than before.

\m/
post #1443 of 1486 Old 01-08-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdigital View Post
I just replaced my RX-A840 with this 7850 and love it. It sounds much better straight out of the box, and that's saying a lot since the 840 was amazing. For the price Costco had it, it was too good a deal to pass up so that our entire setup is 4k/HDR/Atmos friendly. I've noticed the soundstage overall is much more open and 3d with this receiver. Instead of a great surround envelope, it's like the sounds are right in front of me or a bit above me, more localized and more lively than before.
I was asking about the RX-V485.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 1486 Old 01-11-2020, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it possible to have several Bluetooth receivers connected at the same time?

Hi all,

My first post here, my first question...

Would it be possible to have two or more Bluetooth headphones connected to an RX-V685? After checking the whole thread and the documentation is still not clear what is the maximum number of Bluetooth receivers connected at the same time.

Thanks and best regards,
Jaime
post #1445 of 1486 Old 01-11-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I was asking about the RX-V485.
Your post has been merged by a moderator to the dedicated "Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 owners thread." You're welcome to search the thread for -485 owners' posts and impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Garcia View Post
Hi all,

Would it be possible to have two or more Bluetooth headphones connected to an RX-V685? After checking the whole thread and the documentation is still not clear what is the maximum number of Bluetooth receivers connected at the same time.

Thanks and best regards,
Jaime
Welcome! So far's I know, Bluetooth is intended for 1:1 connections for audio, not one-to-many. MusicCast should do what you want with compatible devices.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #1446 of 1486 Old 01-12-2020, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks and best regards,
Jaime
You could try it but I read that only one at a time. In the Musiccast app the controls only indicate you can choose on connect at a time. Also in the bluetooth controls in the avr, there is only the option of choosing one connection.

Last edited by Peter Hayes; 01-12-2020 at 01:14 AM. Reason: other info
post #1447 of 1486 Old 01-12-2020, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hayes View Post
You could try it but I read that only one at a time. In the Musiccast app the controls only indicate you can choose on connect at a time. Also in the bluetooth controls in the avr, there is only the option of choosing one connection.
Thanks, then it seems it is not possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Your post has been merged by a moderator to the dedicated "Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 owners thread." You're welcome to search the thread for -485 owners' posts and impressions.

Welcome! So far's I know, Bluetooth is intended for 1:1 connections for audio, not one-to-many. MusicCast should do what you want with compatible devices.
Thank you, but Bluetooth is designed to create a small network with one master device and several slaves (up to 7 if I am not wrong). For example, the Avantree Audikast Plus device allows to transmit the input received from a jack to up to two devices.

This is what they say in the web:
Quote:
Bluetooth 5.0 audio transmitter for TV, PC with no audio delay. 100ft long range Class 1 wireless audio adapter with direct volume control via button +/-

Dual link aptX Low Latency for two Headphones. Support OPT, RCA, AUX or USB audio output ports.
I cannot find any AVR with this functionality
post #1448 of 1486 Old 01-12-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Thank you, but Bluetooth is designed to create a small network with one master device and several slaves (up to 7 if I am not wrong). For example, the Avantree Audikast Plus device allows to transmit the input received from a jack to up to two devices.

... I cannot find any AVR with this functionality
True, true but I think that is specific to better BT headphone solutions. Not always the case for audio playback e.g. on my ThinkPad, I can't select multiple BT output devices at the same time.

As you said, for consumer grade AVRs where the manufacturer is balancing the most appealing array of features for the most people (at the price point), cost to produce, cost of software licensing, cost to market, et al, something like a specialized one-to-many BT may be hard to find. YMMV.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #1449 of 1486 Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trouble getting Atmos via Nvidia shield Pro

I am not experienced and having trouble getting my new TSR-7850 to decode Atmos. i am getting DD+ from Amazon Prime movies. I upgraded Netflix to the HD and the format is Atmos/DD+. I have the shield going to input 1 (movie) and only one output from the arc to the TV. I am pretty sure the shield is setup right, but i could be wrong. most likely i am missing a setting on the receiver? any help would be appreciated. My questions are is the Atmos/DD+ the best i am going to get? My display says HDMI 1, but I would like it to say what is being decoded. and not really related, but my last question is whether i need adjust the cross-over after doing YPAO or leave it to maximum? thanks.
post #1450 of 1486 Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I took the plunge for an HTR-6072/RX-V685 and I'm having visible lip sync issues over ARC. Sound is behind video.

Sound being sent is DD+ and output delay is set to zero everywhere. I recorded and compared to my Samsung Q9FN's built in speakers and the delay seems to be 80ms. Is this normal?

Attached it is the measurement I used to determine the delay difference. It's recorded at 60fps so each frame would be about 17ms. Purple is receiver audio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha_arc_delay.png
Views:	13
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	2669400  
post #1451 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Sometimes the signal strength weakens from a poorly seated connection. Back in the days when I sold this gear professionally it became clear to me and my coworkers that video monitors we had on display in our store where the HDMI jack was vertical instead of horizontal, there was a stronger likelihood the connection would eventually fail over time {months} because the weight of the wire itself was constantly applying a "disconnect" strain on the junction. HDMI ports have no "lock" so they rely on friction. This usually isn't a problem however the weight of an especially beefy wire can be enough to sever the connection eventually. TVs connected this way often needed to be tended to months after connection whereas ones with horizontal jacks were usually worry free.

I would suggest turning off all gear and then disconnecting and immediately reconnecting all HDMI jacks in your system, including on the back of the video display, to be sure they are secure and fully seated, all the way in. This action also tends to clean the connections from the scrape motion, sort of like when you have a bad headphone connection merely rotating it or remaking it can cure the issue, at east for the time being.
Since this post, I replaced the HDMI cables, to no effect. This, while not a huge problem, is still really disappointing. Is there any chance that the problem is the receiver itself? Disconnecting everything and attempting to exchange it is really a nuclear option for a lot of reasons, and I prefer to avoid it, unless it carries a substantial chance of success.
post #1452 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffortune View Post
I took the plunge for an HTR-6072/RX-V685 and I'm having visible lip sync issues over ARC. Sound is behind video.

Sound being sent is DD+ and output delay is set to zero everywhere. I recorded and compared to my Samsung Q9FN's built in speakers and the delay seems to be 80ms. Is this normal?

I've done a bunch of testing and it seems the likely culprit here may be the Samsung Q9FN's audio processing.
I'll have to get a Shield or similar instead of using the built in apps, which is a bit of a shame as they do work incredibly well otherwise.
post #1453 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffortune View Post
I've done a bunch of testing and it seems the likely culprit here may be the Samsung Q9FN's audio processing.
I'll have to get a Shield or similar instead of using the built in apps, which is a bit of a shame as they do work incredibly well otherwise.
FWIW, I was disappointed and frustrated with smart apps on my Samsung TV, particularly Netflix (unexplained audio dropouts; Samsung blamed Netflix, Netflix blamed Samsung). I installed an Apple TV and haven't looked back. Nvidia Shield and Roku devices are highly rated too.

post #1454 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight123 View Post
Since this post, I replaced the HDMI cables, to no effect. This, while not a huge problem, is still really disappointing. Is there any chance that the problem is the receiver itself? Disconnecting everything and attempting to exchange it is really a nuclear option for a lot of reasons, and I prefer to avoid it, unless it carries a substantial chance of success.
Yes it is possibly the receiver. It could be this model in general has a weaker than average HDMI amp in it or yours in particular is flaky (that second option is unlikely though so swapping for the exact same unit is not likely to help.)

Besides differnt models and different brands varying slightly in HDMI strength, different input and output ports are said to sometimes matter. Like HDMI 1 vs HDMI 2 OUT mattering. Have you tried that swap?
post #1455 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes it is possibly the receiver. It could be this model in general has a weaker than average HDMI amp in it or yours in particular is flaky (that second option is unlikely though so swapping for the exact same unit is not likely to help.)

Besides differnt models and different brands varying slightly in HDMI strength, different input and output ports are said to sometimes matter. Like HDMI 1 vs HDMI 2 OUT mattering. Have you tried that swap?
But if it’s not my machine versus the model generally, why am I having trouble with an Apple TV when nobody else is reporting this?
post #1456 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 PM

Hi All, first post here.

I am trying to decide between an RX-v683 or a RX-v685. It is about $100 more for the V685, and the V683 is just barely discontinued. I like the front HDMI input on the V683, and the remote on the V683 is the old style, which it seems is preferred for some people compared to the new remote.

What is the the most compelling reason or reasons to go with the V685 instead of the V683? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth paying the extra $100 for the V685.

I understand that the V685 has these features, that the V683 doesn't have:

Pre-out for front speakers (lacking in V683)
2 HDMI out ports (instead of 1)
5 HDCP2.2 HDMI (instead of just 3)
WIFI a/b/g/n/ac (instead of just a/b/g/n)

Any other things that the V685 has that the previous V683 doesn't have, that would be a compelling reason to go with the V685?
post #1457 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight123 View Post
But if it’s not my machine versus the model generally, why am I having trouble with an Apple TV when nobody else is reporting this?
I don't know, sorry.
post #1458 of 1486 Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Luker View Post
Any other things that the V685 has that the previous V683 doesn't have, that would be a compelling reason to go with the V685?
Probably not worth $100 but newer units have longer product support including firmware updates.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #1459 of 1486 Old 01-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wireless headphone for Yamaha 7850?

I have a Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR. It is hooked up to the TV, the Hotwire STB, and a Panasonic blueray player for 5.1 sound. I'm getting a little hard of hearing and would like to hook a wireless headphone into the system for TV viewing. I don't require a "super" headphone, just one that is wireless and easy to install and will allow the sound to go through my speakers at the same time. My problem is that before I choose a headphone, I'm not sure how it is to be hooked up. I'm thinking that the headphone transmitter is to be hooked into the AVR's phone jack as I am looking for an easy hook up. All suggestions eagerly awaited. Thanks.
post #1460 of 1486 Old 01-15-2020, 03:10 PM

^Plugging into the front headphone jack automatically disconnects the speaker outs so you can't have both of those active at once.

You could use the "zone 2 out" RCA jacks on the back though. I use this for a similar purpose and it works but you have to get used to pressing "zone control" on the front panel every time you want to adjust something like volume for the zone outs, because the default is to control the main room speakers, not the secondary zone.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-15-2020 at 03:13 PM.
post #1461 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a situation that I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance/resolution on:

I'm using both HDMI outputs on my 685 depending on whether it's daylight or night time (connected to my LG B8, the 2 HDMI inputs have different brightness configuration). My problem is that I've noticed intermittent bright sparkles on a dark image. If I switch to a different HDMI output (same source - Apple Tv), they go away. It can't be the cables because A) it happens regardless of whether I start on one input/output or the other and B) when toggling, why would the effect go away? But the cables I'm using are high quality Monoprice 18 Gbps 6'. Once I do toggle, the effect is gone for good until I start the tv up all over again in the next viewing session.

Thoughts?
post #1462 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
^Plugging into the front headphone jack automatically disconnects the speaker outs so you can't have both of those active at once.

You could use the "zone 2 out" RCA jacks on the back though. I use this for a similar purpose and it works but you have to get used to pressing "zone control" on the front panel every time you want to adjust something like volume for the zone outs, because the default is to control the main room speakers, not the secondary zone.

OK, let's see if I understand the setup and what I'll be getting. Transmitter directly into the AVR's headphone jacks will only be useful for one person as there will be no sound from the speakers...bummer! This being so, I'll need to get a wireless headphone with a transmitter that will be able to utilize RCA jacks to go into the AVR's zone2 at its back. I'm now assuming that just about all wireless headphone transmitters are able to accommodate RCA jacks to the back? If so, perhaps you may recommend a headphone or two...nothing "super," but reasonably good. Thanks again for your help.
post #1463 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
OK, let's see if I understand the setup and what I'll be getting. Transmitter directly into the AVR's headphone jacks will only be useful for one person as there will be no sound from the speakers...bummer! This being so, I'll need to get a wireless headphone with a transmitter that will be able to utilize RCA jacks to go into the AVR's zone2 at its back. I'm now assuming that just about all wireless headphone transmitters are able to accommodate RCA jacks to the back? If so, perhaps you may recommend a headphone or two...nothing "super," but reasonably good. Thanks again for your help.

Bluetooth headphones should do what you want.
post #1464 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 484
On the TSR 7850 can the x-over point be set per speaker, or is it a global setting requiring comprises?
post #1465 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
On the TSR 7850 can the x-over point be set per speaker, or is it a global setting requiring comprises?

It is a setting for each speaker type (eg. Front, Center, Surround, etc)
D Bone likes this.
post #1466 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
It is a setting for each speaker type (eg. Front, Center, Surround, etc)
Perfect.... thanks for your time.
post #1467 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post
I have a situation that I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance/resolution on:

I'm using both HDMI outputs on my 685 depending on whether it's daylight or night time (connected to my LG B8, the 2 HDMI inputs have different brightness configuration). My problem is that I've noticed intermittent bright sparkles on a dark image. If I switch to a different HDMI output (same source - Apple Tv), they go away. It can't be the cables because A) it happens regardless of whether I start on one input/output or the other and B) when toggling, why would the effect go away? But the cables I'm using are high quality Monoprice 18 Gbps 6'. Once I do toggle, the effect is gone for good until I start the tv up all over again in the next viewing session.

Thoughts?
Sparkles indicates a borderline HDMI signal level. It can even differ day to day and seem fine some days yet not others so it can be a real bear to diagnose.

Different devices have different signal strengths, heck sometimes even different HDMI ports on the same device can differ , plus long thin wires are sometimes an issue.

Possible solutions:

-try a different output port
-try a different input port
-try a different device
-try a different, thicker AWG wire [don't be fooled by the insulation thickness. You need to research what the actual AWG is]
-try a different length wire (shorter the better)
-try an in line booster amp
-try a "self amplified" HDMI cable. Monoprice used to call them "Redmere series" when they were first released but I don't know what they are called these days.
post #1468 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I'm now assuming that just about all wireless headphone transmitters are able to accommodate RCA jacks to the back? If so, perhaps you may recommend a headphone or two...nothing "super," but reasonably good. Thanks again for your help.
Yes, nearly all will work although some my not supply the adapter cable in the box.

I once owned some Sennheisser [spelling?] cordless I liked but this was a decade or more ago and I know nothing about what's on the market now.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-16-2020 at 11:58 AM.
post #1469 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One more question for the TSR 7850. To use eARC, does HDMI control need to be ON? (On Denons you can set eARC ON without having to turn on HDMI Control is why I ask)
post #1470 of 1486 Old 01-16-2020, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
If I understand you question ; If you want audio from the speakers at the same time you would need to use Bluetooth headphones and be sure to buy compatible headphones. Other posts on previous page explains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
audio-video receiver , bluetooth , crossover frequency , hdmi 2.1 , hdmi arc , lg oled c9 , multicast , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , speaker configuration , subwoofer , wx-021 , Yamaha , yamaha a780 , yamaha reciever streaming network 685 , yamaha rx , yamaha rx-v385 , yamaha ts-7850 , yamaha tsr-7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page