"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes

post #1891 of 2015 Old 05-24-2020, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my TSR-7850 from the woot deal. When I first plugged it in, it didn’t try to do an initial setup. Is that normal? Every other receiver I’ve had always wants to do an initial setup to detect speakers, etc.

I updated the firmware a couple times and am now on 1.80, then did YPAO setup. Now every time I turn it on, it wants to do YPAO setup even though I’ve already done that. The mic isn’t plugged in. The first time it unexpectedly asked to do YPAO setup, I didn’t get any sound from HDMI inputs but ARC from the TV worked. I did a factory reset (all) and now it’s still asking to do YPAO setup on every start, but sound on HDMI inputs works if I press the return arrow button to cancel out of that.

Is there some other way to get it to stop asking to do YPAO setup? I guess it’s only an annoyance at this point, but still. It’s not like it’s losing the YPAO settings. After setup, I make a few changes (speakers large to small, set crossover, parametric eq to through). If I reload the YPAO settings it goes back to the result of the last time I ran setup with the mic attached.

Also, the way to do the factory reset is to press the power button after selecting “all” in the init menu, right? It seemed like the settings went back to the default but I didn’t see a confirmation of the reset on the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2015 Old 05-24-2020, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkucera View Post
Now every time I turn it on, it wants to do YPAO setup even though I’ve already done that.
It doesn't smell correct to me. Since it is in warranty, you could contact Yamaha support. Based on my memory, there has been several reports for 7850 purchased from Woot including me which doesn't work right initially.
post #1893 of 2015 Old 05-24-2020, 12:51 PM

Speaker set to 'large' or 'Small'

I finally got my 7850 back from Yamaha which fixed the issue of no LFE out. Now when I do YPAO test, it sets all my speaker to 'large' except the two front presence speakers. Should I manually modify all 'large' to 'small' so my subwoofer is used for low frequency sound? If I manually modify it, would those YPAO test result still effective?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 2015 Old 05-24-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6784 Post(s)
Liked: 4999
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC8813 View Post
I finally got my 7850 back from Yamaha which fixed the issue of no LFE out. Now when I do YPAO test, it sets all my speaker to 'large' except the two front presence speakers. Should I manually modify all 'large' to 'small' so my subwoofer is used for low frequency sound? If I manually modify it, would those YPAO test result still effective?
"Small" is shorthand for "use bass management", i.e., direct not just the LFE ".1 channel" but also the deep bass of that channel to the sub(s). This lessens the burden to that channel's amp and to the woofer of that speaker. This lowers distortion and increases maximum possible SPL.

Dolby and DTS were both designed to work this way from the get-go and it is exactly what we experience in commercial movie theaters.

I recommend using bass management regardless of the size of the speakers, as does Audyssey Labs.

EDIT TO ADD: All other YPAO adjustments stay intact once you manually override "Large" and change to "Small".
ItzMe, HTPC8813 and ChromeJob like this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-24-2020 at 01:01 PM.
post #1895 of 2015 Old 05-24-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
"Small" is shorthand for "use bass management", i.e., direct not just the LFE ".1 channel" but also the deep bass of that channel to the sub(s). This lessens the burden to that channel's amp and to the woofer of that speaker. This lowers distortion and increases maximum possible SPL.

Dolby and DTS were both designed to work this way from the get-go and it is exactly what we experience in commercial movie theaters.

I recommend using bass management regardless of the size of the speakers, as does Audyssey Labs.

EDIT TO ADD: All other YPAO adjustments stay intact once you manually override "Large" and change to "Small".
Thanks, m. zillch for the advice.
m. zillch likes this.
post #1896 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
YPAO often will make a recommendation of "Large" versus "small" which, though probably great for YPAO, aren't always in line with the user's preference. It adds to the confusion when people have speakers they think "are large enough" or "those aren't small!" when it only refers to enabling bass management based on the results of the mains and subs testing.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #1897 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post
I'd suggest using a speaker selector with built-in volume controls for each zone (i.e. Monoprice 38159), or, better, install in-wall volume controls at each location.
Thanks TokyoJimu, I did think of the selector option but was trying to avoid throwing more money at this. But 90 bucks isn't terrible.
post #1898 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FIRMWARE ERROR:

Hello: I puchased the TSR-7850 from Costco a few months ago. The unit worked great until a few days ago when I experienced some intermittent drops of the DTS signal when watching a 4k BluRay. I thought it might have been due to an HDMI cable but I'm fairly sure they're sufficient. Anyway, today I noticed a "firmware error" message of some sort so went to see if my firmware was current. When I checked the settings for the version it just said "error". I tried to update via the settings but it was greyed-out. I then went the manual route (pressing STRAIGHT + POWER) to get into the Advanced Settings. I first tried via Network. It appeared to install correctly ("Update Success")so I powered the unit off, waited a few seconds, and powered it back on. The unit now says "Update Failure" and I cannot access anything other than the update menu. I then tried the USB method with the exact same result. I've left the unit unplugged for an hour and tried again, same result.

My question is: Is there some kind of hard reset I can do to potentially get back into Advanced Settings? Am I missing something obvious?

I have a feeling the thing is bricked. It's in-warranty and I purchased it from Costco so I'm sure they'll exchange it, assuming if they have them in stock. I hate to be witout an amp for an extended period so I'm hoping there's a quick fix I might be overlooking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #1899 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
FIRMWARE ERROR:
Spoiler!

My question is: Is there some kind of hard reset I can do to potentially get back into Advanced Settings? Am I missing something obvious?

I have a feeling the thing is bricked. It's in-warranty and I purchased it from Costco so I'm sure they'll exchange it, assuming if they have them in stock. I hate to be witout an amp for an extended period so I'm hoping there's a quick fix I might be overlooking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Trying following the manual's instructions for performing a default settings reset.
Henry Krinkle likes this.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #1900 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Trying following the manual's instructions for performing a default settings reset.
Thanks for the response but part of the problem is that I can no longer get into the Advanced Settings which is where I could do that. I'm not aware of a workaround. Thanks again.
post #1901 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Thanks for the response but part of the problem is that I can no longer get into the Advanced Settings which is where I could do that. I'm not aware of a workaround. Thanks again.
Did you press Straight & Power? That is supposed to bring it up.

McIntosh C34V, MC2205, Martin Logan Motion 40's, SVS PB-1000, Technics SL-1200MK5 w/Nagoka MP-200, Topping D50, Magni 3, Macbook Pro w/Music in ALAC
post #1902 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill Killer View Post
Did you press Straight & Power? That is supposed to bring it up.
Yes. Now it just goes to "Update Failed". Can't do anything else and I've tried damn near everything. No idea what happened but something is definitely wrong with it. Hopefully Costco still has them and I can just swap it for a new one. Thanks for the reply.
post #1903 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
If it's not within 30 days most Costco managers are going to tell you to deal with Yamaha warranty. Some may give you 60 days but that's on them.

Just thinking out loud, have you tried the web interface to see if it's up and running? There's both a reset and an update function there.
Long shot but ....

IP ADDRESS OF 7850/Setup/

last "/" required

Quote:
Yes. Now it just goes to "Update Failed". Can't do anything else and I've tried damn near everything. No idea what happened but something is definitely wrong with it. Hopefully Costco still has them and I can just swap it for a new one. Thanks for the reply.
post #1904 of 2015 Old 05-25-2020, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6784 Post(s)
Liked: 4999
I'm not a memeber but wouldn't this fall under "electronics" and have a 90 day return policy?

"What is Costco's return policy?

Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

On Membership: We will cancel and refund your membership fee at any time if you are dissatisfied.

On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, and will refund your purchase price*, with the following exceptions:

Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions, Projectors, Major Appliances (refrigerators above 10 cu. ft., freezers, ranges, cooktops, over-the-range microwaves, dishwashers, washers and dryers), Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Smart Watches, Cameras, Aerial Cameras (drones), Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones (return details will vary by carrier service contract)."

https://customerservice.costco.com/a...turn-policy%3F
rakstr likes this.
post #1905 of 2015 Old 05-26-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
If it's not within 30 days most Costco managers are going to tell you to deal with Yamaha warranty. Some may give you 60 days but that's on them.

Just thinking out loud, have you tried the web interface to see if it's up and running? There's both a reset and an update function there.
Long shot but ....

IP ADDRESS OF 7850/Setup/

last "/" required
Thanks - I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: didn't work, but thanks again for the suggestion.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 05-26-2020 at 07:50 AM.
post #1906 of 2015 Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not a memeber but wouldn't this fall under "electronics" and have a 90 day return policy?

On Membership: We will cancel and refund your membership fee at any time if you are dissatisfied.

On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, and will refund your purchase price*, with the following exceptions:

Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions, Projectors, Major Appliances (refrigerators above 10 cu. ft., freezers, ranges, cooktops, over-the-range microwaves, dishwashers, washers and dryers), Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Smart Watches, Cameras, Aerial Cameras (drones), Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones (return details will vary by carrier service contract)."

Thanks. I paid with my Costco Visa card so I think it's doubled and that should get me under the wire but I'm going there today anyway so I'll ask about it.
m. zillch likes this.
post #1907 of 2015 Old 05-26-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and their return policy. It used to be even better before people abused it as a TV upgrade program when flat screens first appeared

You are correct in what you say but there are some items that the manufacturer agreement limits them and I thought I read someplace that this was one of them. HOPEFULLY I'm wrong. I should have made that more clear and thanks for calling me out on this!

As my Dad always told me, the answer is always NO if you fail to ask. I always ask at Costco and Sams and often get responses that leave me pleasantly surprised.

PS - I don't see it in stock online so if the local store doesn't have them you'd be limited to a refund at whatever time period the manager determines for the item.

UPDATE - I found a price tag photo I took from October of last year and it DOES NOT have the 30 day limited return note on the tag (which is where I've typically seen them) so it should fall within the normal policy. Again, sorry for any confusion.......

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191008_110021.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	2732612  

Last edited by rakstr; 05-26-2020 at 07:53 AM.
post #1908 of 2015 Old 05-26-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and their return policy. It used to be even better before people abused it as a TV upgrade program when flat screens first appeared

You are correct in what you say but there are some items that the manufacturer agreement limits them and I thought I read someplace that this was one of them. HOPEFULLY I'm wrong. I should have made that more clear and thanks for calling me out on this!

As my Dad always told me, the answer is always NO if you fail to ask. I always ask at Costco and Sams and often get responses that leave me pleasantly surprised.

PS - I don't see it in stock online so if the local store doesn't have them you'd be limited to a refund at whatever time period the manager determines for the item.
You're right about the old return policy - shame that so many abused it. I'm currently on hold with the Costco Concierge service - they will assist with items which may or may not be outside their normal warranty. The guy I'm dealing with can't find my date of purchase so he's trying to get Yamaha on the line. He gave me the option of calling myself but I figure I'd have better luck with Costco's muscle as backup. I'll update once this thing is resolved.
post #1909 of 2015 Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:

UPDATE - I found a price tag photo I took from October of last year and it DOES NOT have the 30 day limited return note on the tag (which is where I've typically seen them) so it should fall within the normal policy. Again, sorry for any confusion.......
Just got back from Costco and am pleased to report that they said I could return it without question. The guy said that amplifiers aren't excepted from the open return policy. They even had them in stock so I was able to get another one. The price is higher now (I originally paid the $399, I think) but he said they could find the transaction and credit me accordingly when I bring in the defective unit. Another reason why I buy almost everything from Costco.
post #1910 of 2015 Old 05-27-2020, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi guys,
can I connect a 585 AVR through a non ARC/eARC HDMI port of the TV?
The upcoming Sony X900H will have just two HDMI 2.1 ports and I need them for PC and PS5.

Thanks for your answer.
M_C
post #1911 of 2015 Old 05-28-2020, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I don't know why you wouldn't run everything through your AVR and then one HDMI to the TV.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
post #1912 of 2015 Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't run everything through your AVR and then one HDMI to the TV.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Because AVR doesn't support 4k 120, VRR and ALLM (HDMI 2.1), so I need to connect PC and PS5 directly to the TV.
post #1913 of 2015 Old 05-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I purchased a new RXV-685 around Christmas time and anything viewed via Comcast live or DVR cuts in and out several times per minute. I don't watch that much material so I let it go for a while until I finally had enough. I have since had a new DVR box arrive and it does the same thing.

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the new DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. I upgrade for better bluetooth wireless options and while that works not being able to watch Comcast is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc.

Anyone have any ideas how to go about fixing this?

GM
post #1914 of 2015 Old 05-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Yamaha RX-V685 Comcast Audio-Video dropouts

I purchased a new RXV-685 around Christmas time and anything viewed via Comcast live or DVR cuts in and out several times per minute. I don't watch that much material so I let it go for a while until I finally had enough. I have since had a new DVR box arrive and it does the same thing.

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the old DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. Old DVR box new receiver and I do have issues. New DVR box and new receiver I have issues. I upgraded for better bluetooth and wireless options and while that works, not being able to watch Comcast (which costs a ton of money as everyone knows) is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc. Only Comcast material broadcast live or recorded to the DVR.

GM
post #1915 of 2015 Old 05-29-2020, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4043 Post(s)
Liked: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty View Post

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the old DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. Old DVR box new receiver and I do have issues. New DVR box and new receiver I have issues. I upgraded for better bluetooth and wireless options and while that works, not being able to watch Comcast (which costs a ton of money as everyone knows) is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc. Only Comcast material broadcast live or recorded to the DVR.

GM

I have the RX-V583 (new) for the downstairs HTS and the RX-A780 for the upstairs HTS. Both have Comcast running thru them with zero issues. I have no need to record shows or watch anything other than network broadcasts so I use the legacy Comcast STB which is HD only (1080p) because that's all that networks broadcasts in. Streaming is done thru an ATV4 and an ATV4k which also goes thru the Yamaha receivers. No issues. Take a closer look at your settings and try disabling Deep Color if you can and see if that makes a difference.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #1916 of 2015 Old 05-29-2020, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
^^^Could be a problem with the Comcast Box or you need to replace the HDMI cable.
Greg Matty likes this.

Afro GT
post #1917 of 2015 Old 05-29-2020, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty View Post

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the new DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. I upgrade for better bluetooth wireless options and while that works not being able to watch Comcast is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc.

GM

Yeah, if you got a new DVR box then try replacing the cable and / or plugging it into a different HDMI port on the receiver.
Greg Matty likes this.
post #1918 of 2015 Old 05-29-2020, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_carpet View Post
Hi guys,
can I connect a 585 AVR through a non ARC/eARC HDMI port of the TV?
The upcoming Sony X900H will have just two HDMI 2.1 ports and I need them for PC and PS5.

Thanks for your answer.
M_C
Quote:
Because AVR doesn't support 4k 120, VRR and ALLM (HDMI 2.1), so I need to connect PC and PS5 directly to the TV.
sure you can but the TV won't send audio back to the AVR. You need the ARC port on the TV for that or you'll have to use the optical output on the TV for audio back to the AVR.

Afro GT
post #1919 of 2015 Old 05-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

I'll spend some time today doing A-B comparisons and try to eliminate the problem. But since the new DVR box is doing the same thing as the original one did I don't think it is the DVR box. I kept the original cables as well so the only two variables in this scenario are the new receiver and the new DVR box.

Funny how twenty years ago I almost enjoyed trouble shooting like this. Now I really don't like it.

OTOH, I did a firmware update yesterday so maybe that fixed something. Time will tell.

Thanks.

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synomenon View Post
Yeah, if you got a new DVR box then try replacing the cable and / or plugging it into a different HDMI port on the receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
^^^Could be a problem with the Comcast Box or you need to replace the HDMI cable.
adampk17 likes this.
post #1920 of 2015 Old 05-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I'll spend some time today doing A-B comparisons and try to eliminate the problem. But since the new DVR box is doing the same thing as the original one did I don't think it is the DVR box. I kept the original cables as well so the only two variables in this scenario are the new receiver and the new DVR box.

Funny how twenty years ago I almost enjoyed trouble shooting like this. Now I really don't like it.

OTOH, I did a firmware update yesterday so maybe that fixed something. Time will tell.

Thanks.

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I have the RX-V583 (new) for the downstairs HTS and the RX-A780 for the upstairs HTS. Both have Comcast running thru them with zero issues. I have no need to record shows or watch anything other than network broadcasts so I use the legacy Comcast STB which is HD only (1080p) because that's all that networks broadcasts in. Streaming is done thru an ATV4 and an ATV4k which also goes thru the Yamaha receivers. No issues. Take a closer look at your settings and try disabling Deep Color if you can and see if that makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
anynet , arc , audio-video receiver , avr , bluetooth , crossover frequency , discussion , dsp , hdmi , hdmi 2.1 , hdmi arc , ir codes , lg oled c9 , multicast , output 7.1 , owner , programs , questions , r-n602 , receiver , rx-v1085 , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , Samsung , speaker configuration , subwoofer , tsr-7850 , Universal Remote , wx-021 , yahama tsr-7850 , Yamaha , yamaha a780 , yamaha reciever streaming network 685 , yamaha rx , yamaha rx-v385 , yamaha ts-7850 , yamaha tsr-7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page