"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes

post #1951 of 2015 Old 06-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylo View Post
Is this receiver able to detect what speakers are connected without going through the app?
WHen you do YPAO, if there is no sound detected from the SW, the receiver will mark SW doesn't exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2015 Old 06-26-2020, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC8813 View Post
WHen you do YPAO, if there is no sound detected from the SW, the receiver will mark SW doesn't exist.
Okay, looks like I should run the system setup a bit more thoroughly.

EDIT: After running YPAO, my system correctly detects and clearly utilizes the SW for playback. If I don't run YPAO, the receiver does not recognize the SW is there and returns an error during setup with the app.

Server: SageTV 9.2.2 on Windows 7 x64 Pro, Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4gb RAM, OpenDCT
Display: Fanless GT 1030 to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Audio: Logitech Z-5500 via Audigy 2
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime, HDHR for OTA, Comcast

Last edited by Waylo; 06-26-2020 at 08:18 PM.
post #1953 of 2015 Old 06-26-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenrus25 View Post
I just bought a Yamaha TSR-7850 and I'm noticing the 2 issues below. Please anyone know how to fix them?

1) Subwoofer 1 Output not working: When my SW is connected to the Subwoofer 1 output, I get no sound from the SW... Subwoofer 2 output works fine. My guess is Subwoofer 1 is twitchy because if I remove the cable from that port while the SW is on, I get a loud sound from the SW.

Thanks!
Did you run YPAO with the SW, or just plug the subwoofer cable in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 2015 Old 06-27-2020, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylo View Post
Did you run YPAO with the SW, or just plug the subwoofer cable in?
I ran YPAO. I talked to Yamaha CS and my port is clearly bad so I'm taking the receiver in for repairs.

On the audio cutout, I reset the receiver and the audio has been fine since.
post #1955 of 2015 Old 06-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My old Pioneer exploded, so I picked up a Yamaha RX-V385 to replace it. I have to say it sounds even better than my 12 year old Pioneer 1019 did, but I am confused a little about how it handles Pro Logic. Once I set it to DSP: Surround and then to DPL, if I play a full multichannel DD movie, is the sound field being used or does the DD override? The Pioneer switched to DPL with stereo content; the Yamaha's display indictes the DSP is engaged when I play multichannel DD or DTS. Is it necessary to switch manually?

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #1956 of 2015 Old 06-28-2020, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma601 View Post
My old Pioneer exploded, so I picked up a Yamaha RX-V385 to replace it. I have to say it sounds even better than my 12 year old Pioneer 1019 did, but I am confused a little about how it handles Pro Logic. Once I set it to DSP: Surround and then to DPL, if I play a full multichannel DD movie, is the sound field being used or does the DD override? The Pioneer switched to DPL with stereo content; the Yamaha's display indictes the DSP is engaged when I play multichannel DD or DTS. Is it necessary to switch manually?
People who are more familiar than I can correct me if I'm wrong, but I use the app and set it to "Auto" in DSP. This makes it automatically switch for DPL and DD, as far as I have seen. I see that all 5 channels show on the display, and all 5.1 are making sounds, so that's my proof it's working (on my TSR-7850)

There must be a way to do this via the remote/AVR itself, but I agree it's not clear. My old Onkyo would show you "in words" what mode it was in, which was nice. I haven't found a way to get the Yamaha to do that, and it seems you just tell via the smaller icons or the 5 speaker icons.

I have found that DPL doesn't sound nearly as good as DD, so I have done whatever I can to prevent it from going there anyway (my LG OLED would push DPL in certain modes over optical... I have switched to ARC to eliminate that).

Last edited by schwinn8; 06-28-2020 at 07:46 AM.
post #1957 of 2015 Old 06-28-2020, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Second time in less then a year that lightning has damaged electronic here.

This time I were stupid, and didnt check the receiver and TV when thunder started. The TV were in standby (12 year old Panasonic plasma), and the receiver were on. I heard a sound from the TV like if it were turned on or off. I ran in turned the TV off from standby (with the physical button), and turned off the receiver. After the storm, when I checked it, I got no signal picture on the TV, but the OSD works on the TV.

I have done hours of testing, and it looks like this is the situation:
TV is broken (can it maybe only be the HDMI part?), not able to get a signal picture any more, looks like no sound either. The receiver looks to have a broken HDMI outport, the one that was connected to the TV (HDMI out 1). The other one, HDMI out 2, I am able to get a picture from when connecting a monitor. Is it really possible to this has just destroyed one HDMI out port and not both. or more stuff? Or can it be another reason for not getting a picture on HDMI out 1 on my monitor (HDMI 1 is the one with ARC)? I have tested with HDMI out 1 and 2, and made sure they are both on/active.

Would be super with a fast reply here, need to contact insurance/service tomorrow my time (Norway).

If its so expensive to fix this, lets say half the price of the reciver; which model is newer and better then the 685 right now (2020 model)? I know 685 is missing some HDMI standard if I do not remember wrong.

Yamaha RX-V685 (speakers: 5.1) - DEAD due to lightning, will buy new HDMI 2.1 soonish
nVidia Shield TV
Samsung QLED QE65Q95T
(Prior, for 12 years: Panasonic TH-46PZ85E - DEAD due to lightning)
post #1958 of 2015 Old 06-29-2020, 10:37 AM

So, I will deliver the Panaonic TV and the Yamaha receiver to service in the coming days. Most likely the TV is dead, will most likely not be repaired. The Yamaha will most likely get a replacement HDMI board, so repaired.

Soooo, if I end up getting a new LG C9/CX (OLED) or Samsung Q95T TV (QLED); since the Yamaha 685 do NOT support HDMI 2.1 support, if I want to use a device/player/console/PC on the TV that sends out HDMI 2.1 signal (like 4K HDR 120fps), do I need to connect the device to the TV and eARC back the sound to the Yamaha 685 receiver?

Yamaha RX-V685 (speakers: 5.1) - DEAD due to lightning, will buy new HDMI 2.1 soonish
nVidia Shield TV
Samsung QLED QE65Q95T
post #1959 of 2015 Old 06-29-2020, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some people with Yamaha rxv synth tried to connect the auris with the silent cinema function (it's supposed to be like Dolby headphones from what I could find out) I say this because I have a hyper x revolver s headset that comes with a Dolby 7.1 surround dongle but understand that the first option would be superior. Honestly being years old, the rxv475 synth had not noticed this option (silent movies) My other question is that these headphones are 30ohms to tie them to the Yamaha. Needless to say, the ideal would be to connect some beyer for example, but at this moment it is what there is.

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk
post #1960 of 2015 Old 06-29-2020, 03:14 PM

someone who can help me and ask the question?

post #1961 of 2015 Old 06-29-2020, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fer22ARG View Post
someone who can help me and ask the question?

Honestly I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

I don’t see a question in your original post.
post #1962 of 2015 Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampk17 View Post
Honestly I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

I don’t see a question in your original post.
If sorry I summarize it better, I am in Argentina.
I'm about to start the last of us 2 on the ps4 pro.
I have hyper x brand headphones (revolver s) which include a Dolby 7.1 dongle.
I also have the Yamaha rxv 475 with silent cinema.
Do you think the last option is better?

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/uniteds...gaming-headset

Last edited by Fer22ARG; 06-29-2020 at 04:18 PM.
post #1963 of 2015 Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 5002
Quote:

Try both. {but not at the same time}

Decide for yourself. It is a matter of opinion which is better.

My opinion is Yamaha silent cinema is not good. It does change the sound but I do not like that the sound is imprecise and diffuse. Blurry. Too many echoes.

I have not tried the hyper X headphones.

Good luck.
post #1964 of 2015 Old 06-29-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Try both. {but not at the same time}

Decide for yourself. It is a matter of opinion which is better.

My opinion is Yamaha silent cinema is not good. It does change the sound but I do not like that the sound is imprecise and diffuse. Blurry. Too many echoes.

I have not tried the hyper X headphones.

Good luck.
Thanks for your opinion.
The problem you encounter with silent cinema is that there is no notary term for the surround effect than this genre.
Although the volume is increased compared to the dongle that the hyper x brings, it does not manage to achieve that effect.
So I thought I was setting something wrong.
I have it connected to the ps4 pro via Toslink.

post #1965 of 2015 Old 06-30-2020, 03:05 AM

Quote:

My advice:
Return the game and get your money back! The game is garbage (basura)!

nVidia Shield TV
Samsung QLED QE65Q95T
post #1966 of 2015 Old 06-30-2020, 06:04 PM

Yamaha rx-v685 switches time AV1 on tv startup

Hi all.
I have just connected a Yamaha rx-v685 to a lgc9 tv via HDMI arc.
Plugged in to the receiver I have a fetch tv box and ps4.
All tv is watched through the fetch box, which is plugged to HDMI 2 on the receiver.

When I turn the tv on it auto switches to AV1. I then have to grab the receiver remote and manually switch back to HDMI 2. Pretty annoying.
I see in the HDMI control option something about it using the av1 input, but why is this happening and how to stop it.
What even is av1? Nothings plugged into it.

Also should my receiver switch profiles depending on what I start up?
Like if I start ps4 up should in auto switch to the hdmi3 that I have it plugged into?

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers.
post #1967 of 2015 Old 06-30-2020, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Most likely U have a Samsung or LG HD display...
Turn OFF the CEC software..

Just my $0.02...
post #1968 of 2015 Old 06-30-2020, 06:18 PM

Yes I have a LG C9 oled. Doesn’t turning off cec defeat the purpose of all this new supposedly great technology?!
post #1969 of 2015 Old 07-01-2020, 04:45 AM

Advice on what to do

I just got email from the Yamaha service, the HDMI card is damaged and need to be changed. The price for the repair (not "change", edited)is so big that I am not sure the insurance company is going to repair it.

So, IF I end up getting money for buying a new receiver, is there as of now or in the near future a better receiver then the Yamaha 685 out or comming? I guess no current or near future receiver will have full HDMI 2.1...

nVidia Shield TV
Samsung QLED QE65Q95T

Last edited by JH_man; 07-01-2020 at 05:38 AM.
post #1970 of 2015 Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH_man View Post
Advice on what to do

I just got email from the Yamaha service, the HDMI card is damaged and need to be changed. The price for the repair (not "change", edited)is so big that I am not sure the insurance company is going to repair it.

So, IF I end up getting money for buying a new receiver, is there as of now or in the near future a better receiver then the Yamaha 685 out or comming? I guess no current or near future receiver will have full HDMI 2.1...
I will kinda answer my own question here:
New Yamaha (more expensive) RX-A line will have HDMI 2.1 it looks like, not sure when they are for sale. And it looks like HDMI 2.1 Denon receivers will be for sale within a months time. Not sure about other brands.

nVidia Shield TV
Samsung QLED QE65Q95T
post #1971 of 2015 Old 07-01-2020, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
There are a LOT of variables going on here but a big one is the type of policy you have and how it reads. IN GENERAL (no guarantee) a full replacement policy should allow you to replace the receiver with one of "like features".

Now that doesn't mean the adjuster or whoever is handling your claim is going to just say yes. I took a ground strike that wiped out most of my electronics a few years ago. I had to fight through a number of these issues but prevailed. Be courteous but be knowledgeable and firm. You need to read and understand your policy and stand up for yourself. It's also helpful to read up on your State laws concerning these issues. YUP, insurance claims are work these days If your claim is large enough there are "professionals" out there that will work for you, typically as a percent of the claim value.

Remember, they are not working for YOU, their job is to keep the cost of the claim as low as possible.

GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Advice on what to do

post #1972 of 2015 Old 07-01-2020, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxs View Post
Yes I have a LG C9 oled. Doesn’t turning off cec defeat the purpose of all this new supposedly great technology?!
Turn off CEC on the receiver. You'll need to leave it on the LG.

CEC is what is making the receiver switch inputs upon start up. If you don't want the AVR to do that, then turn it off. Otherwise you will have to continue to grab the remote and switch it to HDMI 2. I have two Denon's connected to LG OLED's and have CEC turn off on both Denon's.

The other option is to get a Harmony remote and you can program it to switch to whatever input you want upon startup.

Afro GT
post #1973 of 2015 Old 07-03-2020, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Have any of you guys had any trouble running a 4 ohm center channel? I Ordered a Emotiv C1 (3-way 5.25" main drivers 4 ohm) and am somewhat concerned. I've been told it should be fine.They rest of the speakers are 6 ohm and the amp is set to the 6 ohm setting. I kinda wonder if I should've went with the HTD Level 3 (2-way 6.25" main drivers 8 ohm).

P659-G1<RXV685<UB820 l Shield TV l One X
post #1974 of 2015 Old 07-03-2020, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastCallKillIt View Post
Have any of you guys had any trouble running a 4 ohm center channel? I Ordered a Emotiv C1 (3-way 5.25" main drivers 4 ohm) and am somewhat concerned. I've been told it should be fine.They rest of the speakers are 6 ohm and the amp is set to the 6 ohm setting. I kinda wonder if I should've went with the HTD Level 3 (2-way 6.25" main drivers 8 ohm).
The general consensus is the "low impedance switch" isn't a "optimization circuit" as they'd have us think but rather a "limiter" which locks you out of playing as loudly. This is done to prevent heat buildup (a problem which makes it difficult for them to pass fire safety UL and CSA certification without investing an an expensive extra part: a cooling fan).

Throwing in the limitation circuit costs them 3 cents whereas the cooling fan would cost 87 cents each. Both lets them pass the tests but one saves them a ton of money.

I don't think 4 ohm will be a problem but be sure to provide good air circulation or invest in a cooling fan yourself. Sorry, it will cost you a lot more than 87 cents though.

LastCallKillIt likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-10-2020 at 10:28 AM.
post #1975 of 2015 Old 07-04-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The general consensus is the "low impedance switch" isn't a "optimization circuit" as they'd have us think but rather a "limiter" which locks you out of playing as loudly. This is done to prevent heat buildup which makes it difficult for them to pass fire safety UL and CSA certification without investing an an expensive extra part: a cooling fan.

Throwing in the limitation circuit costs them 3 cents whereas the cooling fan would cost 87 cents each. Both lets them pass the tests but one saves them a ton of money.

I don't think 4 ohm will be a problem but be sure to provide good air circulation or invest in a cooling fan yourself. Sorry, it will cost you a lot more than 87 cents though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou5bO8P2Drw
Thanks I'll probably invest in one of those cooling fans I'm seeing after searching that sit on top and pull the hot air out.
m. zillch likes this.

post #1976 of 2015 Old 07-04-2020, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
FWIW, I've been using large single fan USB powered laptop coolers on my RX-A1020s and TSR-7850 for quite some time without issue. I place it on top of the unit and you can have it blow air in or draw air from depending on your setup. On one of my 3 setups it's been running non-stop for years (plugged into USB port of UPS). I've got different models but never paid more than $15 for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastCallKillIt View Post
Thanks I'll probably invest in one of those cooling fans I'm seeing after searching that sit on top and pull the hot air out.
LastCallKillIt likes this.
post #1977 of 2015 Old 07-04-2020, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question On Screen Display

I have a Noob question. I have read the Manual pdf. And for my tv too. I have a need to reset my 7580. But, the On Screen TV Display doesn't work. Or, does it even have one? I thought the Settings would appear on my tv screen.

Set Up: Output HDMI 1, Input HDMI 2 on tv. HDMI OUT on Remote set to hdmi 1. Nothing appears on screen, I dunno.
TV: Vizio P65 E-1

McIntosh C34V, MC2205, Martin Logan Motion 40's, SVS PB-1000, Technics SL-1200MK5 w/Nagoka MP-200, Topping D50, Magni 3, Macbook Pro w/Music in ALAC
post #1978 of 2015 Old 07-05-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill Killer View Post
I have a Noob question. I have read the Manual pdf. And for my tv too. I have a need to reset my 7580. But, the On Screen TV Display doesn't work. Or, does it even have one? I thought the Settings would appear on my tv screen.

Set Up: Output HDMI 1, Input HDMI 2 on tv. HDMI OUT on Remote set to hdmi 1. Nothing appears on screen, I dunno.
TV: Vizio P65 E-1
I'm guessing you have the right HDMI input turned on for the TV. But I believe nothing will show on the TV unless you are on a menu function on the AVR.

You can factory reset without a display though. If you can get to the advanced setup menu, and go to the INIT function. Try page 154 of the manual.

post #1979 of 2015 Old 07-05-2020, 08:50 AM

For anyone still looking to purchase the TSR-7850, Costco has it on clearance sale for $449.99 through 7/16. You'll have to find a local store that has it in stock though.

post #1980 of 2015 Old 07-05-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I will kinda answer my own question here:
New Yamaha (more expensive) RX-A line will have HDMI 2.1 it looks like, not sure when they are for sale. And it looks like HDMI 2.1 Denon receivers will be for sale within a months time. Not sure about other brands.
I thought the spec sheet for the 685 on the Yamaha site had 2.1 listed via firmware update?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
anynet , arc , audio-video receiver , avr , bluetooth , crossover frequency , discussion , dsp , hdmi , hdmi 2.1 , hdmi arc , ir codes , lg oled c9 , multicast , output 7.1 , owner , programs , questions , r-n602 , receiver , rx-v1085 , rx-v385 , rx-v685 , Samsung , speaker configuration , subwoofer , tsr-7850 , Universal Remote , wx-021 , yahama tsr-7850 , Yamaha , yamaha a780 , yamaha reciever streaming network 685 , yamaha rx , yamaha rx-v385 , yamaha ts-7850 , yamaha tsr-7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page