"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 851 Old 11-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
I am fairly new on the AV separates subject and I was wondering what are the differences between let's say a Marantz SR7013 pre-amp/processor section and the AV7705 except for the XLR/Balanced pre-outs? How much of a sonic improvement will it makes?

The SR7013 is a receiver, whereas the AV7705 is a pre-amp/processor. People generally use separates so as to have dedicated (read: better) amplifiers power their speakers. In a given class, all-in-one receivers will have inferior amps compared to stand-alone. The max output of a receiver is somewhat limited and not exactly as advertised when driving multiple channels, but that can also apply to certain amps. Lastly, in the long-run it provides a somewhat cheaper approach to scale the system and/or upgrade as newer technologies emerge (like when Dolby figures out how to put speakers on the floor or whatever)… in which case you only need to upgrade your processor, and if at all add an amp to drive the extra channels.

This is my first foray into separates as well, so cannot speak specifically around quality. I would assume it's just better.
jsgrise likes this.

Obligatory Theater Equipment Lineup:: JVC RS2000 | Marantz AV7705 | Emotiva XPA11 | 7.2.4 with Ascend Acoustics (Sierra Towers, Horizon, HTM Surrounds, & RSL In-Ceiling | HSU Research VTF2-MK5 (x2) | HTMartket Southampton

Life's a Jeep! O l l l l l l l O
jeeper12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 851 Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,386
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper12 View Post
The SR7013 is a receiver, whereas the AV7705 is a pre-amp/processor. People generally use separates so as to have dedicated (read: better) amplifiers power their speakers. In a given class, all-in-one receivers will have inferior amps compared to stand-alone. The max output of a receiver is somewhat limited and not exactly as advertised when driving multiple channels, but that can also apply to certain amps. Lastly, in the long-run it provides a somewhat cheaper approach to scale the system and/or upgrade as newer technologies emerge (like when Dolby figures out how to put speakers on the floor or whatever)… in which case you only need to upgrade your processor, and if at all add an amp to drive the extra channels.

This is my first foray into separates as well, so cannot speak specifically around quality. I would assume it's just better.
Thank you!

I am currently thinking about expanding to 7.2.4 from 5.2.4 and going with the AV7705. I would then use my SR7010 as a 7 channel power amp and add a MM7055 for the LCR and surround.

Please let me know what you think of the 7705

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #33 of 851 Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I still haven't taken delivery of my equipment as theater work is in progress. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

What kind of speakers are you driving? Have you considered Emotiva amps?

Obligatory Theater Equipment Lineup:: JVC RS2000 | Marantz AV7705 | Emotiva XPA11 | 7.2.4 with Ascend Acoustics (Sierra Towers, Horizon, HTM Surrounds, & RSL In-Ceiling | HSU Research VTF2-MK5 (x2) | HTMartket Southampton

Life's a Jeep! O l l l l l l l O
jeeper12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,386
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper12 View Post
I still haven't taken delivery of my equipment as theater work is in progress. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

What kind of speakers are you driving? Have you considered Emotiva amps?
My speaker setup is listed in my signature, all Sonus Faber Venere. I did not really look into Emotiva as I can get some pretty good price with Marantz.

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #35 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,835
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24 View Post
I've been getting some intermittent audio and video dropouts. At first, I thought it might be just limited to my DirecTV box, but, it's also occurring with my Oppo BDP-83. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Dropouts like what you describe usually are symptoms of poor HDMI connections or inadequate cables.

The first thing to do is to check all of your HDMI cables. Make sure they are firmly seated at both ends. (Perhaps wiggle them just a little.) Thick cables in particular tend to work loose is there is any stress pulling them to the side.

If that doesn't help, make sure they are all "Certified Premium". They don't cost any more than non-certified High Speed cables, but come with a special holographic ID card. "Certified Premium" cables are (supposedly) guaranteed to work for signals up to UHD 18 Gigabit/sec, but non-certified cables might or might not work reliably at the higher frequencies.

If the cable from your receiver to your TV or projector is longer than about 15 ft, then you should consider an HDMI repeater or an optical connection with HDMI transceivers.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #36 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,421
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7133 Post(s)
Liked: 7175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
My speaker setup is listed in my signature, all Sonus Faber Venere. I did not really look into Emotiva as I can get some pretty good price with Marantz.
Emotiva makes some nice gear, I will say if you need 500 or 1000 watt mono blocks, Red Dragon Audio all the way, nothing like a 10# mono block
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #37 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
dylan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Dropouts like what you describe usually are symptoms of poor HDMI connections or inadequate cables.

The first thing to do is to check all of your HDMI cables. Make sure they are firmly seated at both ends. (Perhaps wiggle them just a little.) Thick cables in particular tend to work loose is there is any stress pulling them to the side.

If that doesn't help, make sure they are all "Certified Premium". They don't cost any more than non-certified High Speed cables, but come with a special holographic ID card. "Certified Premium" cables are (supposedly) guaranteed to work for signals up to UHD 18 Gigabit/sec, but non-certified cables might or might not work reliably at the higher frequencies.

If the cable from your receiver to your TV or projector is longer than about 15 ft, then you should consider an HDMI repeater or an optical connection with HDMI transceivers.
Thanks Selden. I tried the following last night: Unplugged power (restart); changed the hdmi cable to a thinner cable which I know is certified; cooled the unit with a fan. I noticed that the top of the processor gets very hot. Do you think this may have been the cause? If so, what is the chance that there has been some permanent damage? After I did the above, it seemed to be fine for the next hour, or so. However, I won't know for sure until more extended use. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?
dylan24 is offline  
post #38 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,835
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24 View Post
Thanks Selden. I tried the following last night: Unplugged power (restart); changed the hdmi cable to a thinner cable which I know is certified; cooled the unit with a fan. I noticed that the top of the processor gets very hot. Do you think this may have been the cause? If so, what is the chance that there has been some permanent damage? After I did the above, it seemed to be fine for the next hour, or so. However, I won't know for sure until more extended use. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?
Overheating certainly can cause problems. If keeping it cool eliminates your symptoms, then I suspect that there's been no permanent damage.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #39 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24 View Post
Thanks Selden. I tried the following last night: Unplugged power (restart); changed the hdmi cable to a thinner cable which I know is certified; cooled the unit with a fan. I noticed that the top of the processor gets very hot. Do you think this may have been the cause? If so, what is the chance that there has been some permanent damage? After I did the above, it seemed to be fine for the next hour, or so. However, I won't know for sure until more extended use. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?
How hot? Do you have an infrared thermometer?

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...g+infrared+gun

Just saying an item is hot isn't very helpful. Can you hold your hand on the top of the unit or did you burn yourself?

Is the AV7705 installed according to Marantz's instructions for clearance?
bigguyca is offline  
post #40 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
dylan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
How hot? Do you have an infrared thermometer?

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...g+infrared+gun

Just saying an item is hot isn't very helpful. Can you hold your hand on the top of the unit or did you burn yourself?

Is the AV7705 installed according to Marantz's instructions for clearance?
It's not hot enough to burn, but, hotter than what I have felt with most all of my prior AV equipment. It definitely needs more ventilation as right now there is only about 2 inches of clearance on top. I was going to move it to a different area but I needed to buy some longer cables to connect to my amp. I guess I need to do that asap, at this point. For now, I'm going to make sure I use an external fan until I finalize a more permanent solution.
dylan24 is offline  
post #41 of 851 Old 11-02-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,835
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24 View Post
It's not hot enough to burn, but, hotter than what I have felt with most all of my prior AV equipment. It definitely needs more ventilation as right now there is only about 2 inches of clearance on top. I was going to move it to a different area but I needed to buy some longer cables to connect to my amp. I guess I need to do that asap, at this point. For now, I'm going to make sure I use an external fan until I finalize a more permanent solution.
Many AVS users like to use one of AC Infinity's Aircom fan models.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #42 of 851 Old 11-03-2018, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,420
Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23386 Post(s)
Liked: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24 View Post
It's not hot enough to burn, but, hotter than what I have felt with most all of my prior AV equipment. It definitely needs more ventilation as right now there is only about 2 inches of clearance on top. I was going to move it to a different area but I needed to buy some longer cables to connect to my amp. I guess I need to do that asap, at this point. For now, I'm going to make sure I use an external fan until I finalize a more permanent solution.
Adding an AC Infinity Aircom T8 (rear exhaust) only adds 1" to the top of the AVP so would work quite well in your setup.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #43 of 851 Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 11,105
Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked: 4430
Just bought a AV7705 today. First time Marantz owner.


In 2001 I was using Yamaha AVR's HT/RX line, then in 2005 a Rotel RSP, then a Emotiva UMC in 2008, then an XSP-1 and Oppo 105 in 2013, and I've been using that until 2018, when I went Motu/Marantz just recently...

Will let you know what I think of it's SQ when it gets here.
Probably will take a week or whatnot to ship out/get here.

I need two HDMI outputs with 4K/60 preferably with color management, or at least ByPass.
Main HDMI input will be a Sony X700 which has HDR 12-Bit Dolby Vision support.
Fiber TV and XBOX for the remaining inputs.

I have no need for eARC or Streaming, or voice commands or multi-room/zones.
IMAX and Web UI's, as well as any Phone Apps would be "cool" but I don't require those features per-se.
I think for the most part I'll just be using the supplied remote.

HDMI to 7.1.4 XLR is all I truly care about, in purest mode. The rest is just value-add.

I will only be using the 7705 for movie-mode and only for direct digital decoding to 7.1.4 XLR. No Audyssey for me.
My Motu's handle all DSP and does bit-perfect in music-mode with the Sabre DAC, -180db SNR SW and -132db SNR HW etc.

Motu's handle the multi-channel multi-way actives and active subwoofer arrays (tri-channel bass). A poor-mans Trinnov 48 basically.

The Marantz and X700 replaces my XSP-1, Oppo 105 and Cleanboxes.
The Cleanboxes are without question the weakest link.
Should be a fairly large upgrade I'd imagine... 4K, Atmos, direct XLR, and all that good stuff! Can't wait...

I'm at work until Christmas/New Years, but I'll at least be able to test all the XLR outputs via my balanced HD800 headphones directly, until I can take the Marantz and X700 home with me and give it a full proper test.
bslep and vn800art like this.
BassThatHz is offline  
post #44 of 851 Old 11-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey everyone,
I am a previous marantz at 5008 owner and burned something out in it while testing a few diffetent amps. After lots of replacement research I went for a nad t758 v3 mainly because of dirac but after a long stressful learning curve, multiplied by terrible conflicting nad instructions, bugs, and support, I have decided to come back to a marantz. I eventually got the nad with dirac to soung good and very clean and neutral, but it was just missing something. Just didnt sound as dynamic anf didn't have that movie theater feel and weight I was used to with marantz and audyssey. This time I will be going with the AV7705. I have 2 main questions. Based on the info prom the original post comparing the 7705 and 8805. The 8805 has a dialogue enhancer option with audyssey that I thought came with all versions of audyssey but based on the post it seems it only comes with the 8805. Can anyone confirm this? Dialogue was my only issue with audyssey before and something dirac did very well. I would also be interested in hearing feedback on that feature and whether it works well or not. I would hate if its only available on the 8805 because it would be a huge premium to pay for 1 feature . although I'm sure the better build, copper bottom plate, better dacs and the torroidal transformer definitely make it worth the upgrade, the dialogue enhancer is strictly a software based feature that has nothing to do with build in order for it to be available in the other models. My second question has been asked by another member but really answered. Going from a comparable receiver to a processor, is there any noticeable sonic improvement if the same external amp is used? Lets say an SR 7013 compared to an av7705? I understand they use the same dacs and use XT32 to calibrate. If I am not going to be using the balanced XLRs at this moment, I should technically get the same voltage and and sonic quality out of the unbalanced pre-outs from both units but have have yet to hear whether this hold up in the real world. Has anyone had any experience in upgrading from a similar receiver to av processor while keeping the same amp? Thanks in advance!
Hifi Mike is offline  
post #45 of 851 Old 11-06-2018, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Mike View Post
Hey everyone,
I am a previous marantz at 5008 owner and burned something out in it while testing a few diffetent amps. After lots of replacement research I went for a nad t758 v3 mainly because of dirac but after a long stressful learning curve, multiplied by terrible conflicting nad instructions, bugs, and support, I have decided to come back to a marantz. I eventually got the nad with dirac to soung good and very clean and neutral, but it was just missing something. Just didnt sound as dynamic anf didn't have that movie theater feel and weight I was used to with marantz and audyssey. This time I will be going with the AV7705. I have 2 main questions. Based on the info prom the original post comparing the 7705 and 8805. The 8805 has a dialogue enhancer option with audyssey that I thought came with all versions of audyssey but based on the post it seems it only comes with the 8805. Can anyone confirm this? Dialogue was my only issue with audyssey before and something dirac did very well. I would also be interested in hearing feedback on that feature and whether it works well or not. I would hate if its only available on the 8805 because it would be a huge premium to pay for 1 feature . although I'm sure the better build, copper bottom plate, better dacs and the torroidal transformer definitely make it worth the upgrade, the dialogue enhancer is strictly a software based feature that has nothing to do with build in order for it to be available in the other models. My second question has been asked by another member but really answered. Going from a comparable receiver to a processor, is there any noticeable sonic improvement if the same external amp is used? Lets say an SR 7013 compared to an av7705? I understand they use the same dacs and use XT32 to calibrate. If I am not going to be using the balanced XLRs at this moment, I should technically get the same voltage and and sonic quality out of the unbalanced pre-outs from both units but have have yet to hear whether this hold up in the real world. Has anyone had any experience in upgrading from a similar receiver to av processor while keeping the same amp? Thanks in advance!
The AV7705 has a center channel adjust option, but I do not think it is the same as the dialogue enhancer option you are referencing. It simply bumps up the level of the center channel. I have always had a problem with Audyssey and center channel dialogue. However, with the AV7705 I have no issues with the center channel dialogue. This processor has a very clean, detailed sound. I have always liked the clarity and resolution of Onkyo receivers especially with dialogue and in my opinion this processor is surprisingly close to the Onkyo detail and resolution, yet maintains the Marantz warmth it is known for. Maybe it just meshes we’ll with my amp and speakers (Emotiva 7 Gen 3 and Focal 1038 BE II’s). I don’t know the answer, but I am thoroughly enjoying it.
bslep is offline  
post #46 of 851 Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,420
Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23386 Post(s)
Liked: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Mike View Post
Hey everyone,
I am a previous marantz at 5008 owner and burned something out in it while testing a few diffetent amps. After lots of replacement research I went for a nad t758 v3 mainly because of dirac but after a long stressful learning curve, multiplied by terrible conflicting nad instructions, bugs, and support, I have decided to come back to a marantz. I eventually got the nad with dirac to soung good and very clean and neutral, but it was just missing something. Just didnt sound as dynamic anf didn't have that movie theater feel and weight I was used to with marantz and audyssey. This time I will be going with the AV7705. I have 2 main questions. Based on the info prom the original post comparing the 7705 and 8805. The 8805 has a dialogue enhancer option with audyssey that I thought came with all versions of audyssey but based on the post it seems it only comes with the 8805. Can anyone confirm this? Dialogue was my only issue with audyssey before and something dirac did very well. I would also be interested in hearing feedback on that feature and whether it works well or not. I would hate if its only available on the 8805 because it would be a huge premium to pay for 1 feature . although I'm sure the better build, copper bottom plate, better dacs and the torroidal transformer definitely make it worth the upgrade, the dialogue enhancer is strictly a software based feature that has nothing to do with build in order for it to be available in the other models. My second question has been asked by another member but really answered. Going from a comparable receiver to a processor, is there any noticeable sonic improvement if the same external amp is used? Lets say an SR 7013 compared to an av7705? I understand they use the same dacs and use XT32 to calibrate. If I am not going to be using the balanced XLRs at this moment, I should technically get the same voltage and and sonic quality out of the unbalanced pre-outs from both units but have have yet to hear whether this hold up in the real world. Has anyone had any experience in upgrading from a similar receiver to av processor while keeping the same amp? Thanks in advance!
You can actually confirm for yourself by simply downloading each of the AV7705 and AV8805 Owner's manuals.
bigguyca likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #47 of 851 Old 11-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
The AV7705 has a center channel adjust option, but I do not think it is the same as the dialogue enhancer option you are referencing. It simply bumps up the level of the center channel. I have always had a problem with Audyssey and center channel dialogue. However, with the AV7705 I have no issues with the center channel dialogue. This processor has a very clean, detailed sound. I have always liked the clarity and resolution of Onkyo receivers especially with dialogue and in my opinion this processor is surprisingly close to the Onkyo detail and resolution, yet maintains the Marantz warmth it is known for. Maybe it just meshes we’ll with my amp and speakers (Emotiva 7 Gen 3 and Focal 1038 BE II’s). I don’t know the answer, but I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Thanks for the feedback! Very encouraging!. I will using tannoy revolution XT8F towers and a klipsch center. No surrpunds for now because i would need some in ceiling and im currently renting. I currently have a 2 channel prima luna tube amp for LR but I will most likely be getting a monolith 5 channel amp as I've heard it before with my previous marantz receiver and sound was amazing! I expect to receive the 7705 in about a week so I will keep you guys posted on the results.
bslep likes this.
Hifi Mike is offline  
post #48 of 851 Old 11-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You can actually confirm for yourself by simply downloading each of the AV7705 and AV8805 Owner's manuals.
I looked them both up and it only appears in the manual for the 8805. It sounds like it may be a heos only feature but its hard to know for sure based on how it is written. If anyone has anyone experience with the dialog enhancer feature I'd love to hear it!

Last edited by Hifi Mike; 11-06-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Hifi Mike is offline  
post #49 of 851 Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,420
Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23386 Post(s)
Liked: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Mike View Post
I looked them both up and it only appears in the manual for the 8805. It sounds like it may be a heos only feature but its hard to know for sure based on how it is written. If anyone has anyone experience with the dialog enhancer feature I'd love to hear it!
Right. Because the AV8805 is the only current Marantz AVR/AVP that features this setting. The <Dialog Enhancer> is only on the "flagship" Denon/Marantz models and doesn't just apply to HEOS, the "HEOS Music" note in the manual simply indicates what should be done "when" the source is HEOS music, as it applies to both movies and music. To better understand what it is doing, refer to the post in the former "flagship" 4520CI (first model in which it was introduced) thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post22413907

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-07-2018 at 08:00 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #50 of 851 Old 11-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
tbaucom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Right. Because the AV8805 is the only current Marantz AVR/AVP that features this setting. The <Dialog Enhancer> is only on the "flagship" Denon/Marantz models and doesn't just apply to HEOS, the "HEOS Music" note in the manual simply indicates what should be done "when" the source is HEOS music, as it applies to both movies and music. To better understand what it is doing, refer to the post in the former "flagship" 4520CI (first model in which it was introduced) thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post22413907
from looking at the measurements in that post, it seems like it is basically just removing MRC for the center channel. With the new app you can turn that off.
tbaucom is offline  
post #51 of 851 Old 11-07-2018, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,420
Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23386 Post(s)
Liked: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
from looking at the measurements in that post, it seems like it is basically just removing MRC for the center channel. With the new app you can turn that off.
MRC compensation refers to a "dip" in the 2kHz region which when disable would simply leave a flat curve. The <Dialog Enhancer> increases the 1kHz-3kHz range using 3 different settings as noted in the linked post.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #52 of 851 Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
tbaucom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
MRC compensation refers to a "dip" in the 2kHz region which when disable would simply leave a flat curve. The <Dialog Enhancer> increases the 1kHz-3kHz range using 3 different settings as noted in the linked post.
yep. I know what MRC does. What I was trying to get across is if you use the reference curve with MRC on, you are essentially just boosting out some of the dip it created with Dialog Enhancer. Mike was saying he thought Dirac had better vocal clarity and was asking about Dialog Enhancer. Dirac doesn't have the midrange compensation. If he turns that off, he might find the dialog more clear with Audyssey.
tbaucom is offline  
post #53 of 851 Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Has anyone tried this one with active or optical HDMI cables to their TV? Is it the same board as the 8805? It seems from that thread that the 8805 may not have enough output voltage on the HDMI outputs for long active cables.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
DS-21 is offline  
post #54 of 851 Old 11-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
yep. I know what MRC does. What I was trying to get across is if you use the reference curve with MRC on, you are essentially just boosting out some of the dip it created with Dialog Enhancer. Mike was saying he thought Dirac had better vocal clarity and was asking about Dialog Enhancer. Dirac doesn't have the midrange compensation. If he turns that off, he might find the dialog more clear with Audyssey.
Thanks jdsmoothie for the great information, exactly what I was looking for! Tbaucom thanks for further insight on this! I can see how going with flat curve in that region should technically match the dirac result but is this something I can manually edit with the audyssey editor app? Would I be able to flatten that region or even essentially duplicate the dialog enhancer manually? I'm very underinformed in the app and am not sure how much control and customization the app allows.
Hifi Mike is offline  
post #55 of 851 Old 11-07-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Mike View Post
Thanks jdsmoothie for the great information, exactly what I was looking for! Tbaucom thanks for further insight on this! I can see how going with flat curve in that region should technically match the dirac result but is this something I can manually edit with the audyssey editor app? Would I be able to flatten that region or even essentially duplicate the dialog enhancer manually? I'm very underinformed in the app and am not sure how much control and customization the app allows.


There is a lot of information available on the Audyssey MultEQ editor on this forum. Why not take the time, and make the effort to learn for yourself?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post52030545


The following is a very valuable software tool developed by a member (valuable expertise and time devoted for free, quite amazing!) that can be used to enhance the value of MultEQ.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56912816
bigguyca is offline  
post #56 of 851 Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GPBURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 939
unit arrived - just fired it up to see if working and install latest firmware - still be awhile get new upgrades up and running - just wanted to post the interface is really nice - just installed some Atmos Speakers - the walk through of system configuration was well done-
jeeper12 likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
GPBURNS is offline  
post #57 of 851 Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 11,105
Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked: 4430
Looks like mine might be shipping out today.
Can't wait to get this thing in my hands...

I've never played a UHD disc before, nor have I heard Atmos before. (I needed this beast to enable that.)

I guess now I need a 4K projector and Atmos speakers to go with this beast too...
I'm fine with this hobby never ending like this, as long as it keeps getting better along the way.
These first worlder problems I tell ya!
bslep, jjackkrash and vn800art like this.
BassThatHz is offline  
post #58 of 851 Old 11-14-2018, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Has anyone tried this one with active or optical HDMI cables to their TV? Is it the same board as the 8805? It seems from that thread that the 8805 may not have enough output voltage on the HDMI outputs for long active cables.
Why does do you believe the board makes a difference? The digital board in these units supports all sorts of functions; audio and video.

At least the upper level Denon/Marantz/Yamaha AVR's and AVP's all use the same Panasonic IC to support their HDMI outputs. All these IC's run off tightly regulated power supplies. Typically the outputs of the IC are only an inch or two from the output jacks. Because of these similarities, if the output in one product works, they all should work from a voltage level standpoint.

The output of the AVP only has to drive the input of the active cable. The electronics in the active cable are designed drive the long cable without issues.

Output voltage is often down the list of worries at the high operating frequencies of the HDMI electronics and cables.
bigguyca is offline  
post #59 of 851 Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Why does do you believe the board makes a difference?


Because people on the 8805 thread have reported issues with optical cables and the speculation there is that the 8805 does not provide enough juice to drive their electronics.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
DS-21 is offline  
post #60 of 851 Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Has anyone tried this one with active or optical HDMI cables to their TV? Is it the same board as the 8805? It seems from that thread that the 8805 may not have enough output voltage on the HDMI outputs for long active cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Why does do you believe the board makes a difference? The digital board in these units supports all sorts of functions; audio and video.

At least the upper level Denon/Marantz/Yamaha AVR's and AVP's all use the same Panasonic IC to support their HDMI outputs. All these IC's run off tightly regulated power supplies. Typically the outputs of the IC are only an inch or two from the output jacks. Because of these similarities, if the output in one product works, they all should work from a voltage level standpoint.

The output of the AVP only has to drive the input of the active cable. The electronics in the active cable are designed drive the long cable without issues.

Output voltage is often down the list of worries at the high operating frequencies of the HDMI electronics and cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Because people on the 8805 thread have reported issues with optical cables and the speculation there is that the 8805 does not provide enough juice to drive their electronics.

Have you read the explanation above? It serves no good purpose to put uncertainty into readers minds with speculation concerning problems, and mentions of "juice," whatever that is.

One observation that can be made from reading posts on this forum over many years is that HDMI cables are the root of a huge number of problems. Very often problems are fixed by a member replacing an existing cable with a new cable. The new cable may have a higher rating, such as Premium, or at times its a similar cable. The old one may have suffered unnoticed damage, or had its characteristics changes by being bent hanging down off the back of a piece of equipment. The whole HDMI system operates at very high frequencies where maintaining fine geometries and the integrity of shields is very important. The mortality rate of cables, and the requirement for ever higher construction standards for HDMI cables, reflect this fact. Active HDMI cables, that may have questionable HDMI certifications, only add to the complexities and number of failure modes.

Fortunately the trial of a new HDMI cable is easy and inexpensive. The person with the problem moves on since the problem is fixed. Imagine what would happen if cables cost a lot more or had a long lead time for delivery. There would be all sorts of "speculation" about bad electronics or "juice" (save us from discussions of fluid mechanics) and who knows what else. It would be time to sacrifice a sheep at the local volcano to fix the problem.
bigguyca is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off