"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #61 of 632 Old 11-15-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Have you read the explanation above?
Yes. It was not on point. Have you read the posts in that thread discussing the HDMI problems.

Others have reported, for example, no Dolby Vision output from DV-compatible Marantz prepros when the same long installed cables pass DV from other prepros or streaming boxes to the same display.

Quote:
Fortunately the trial of a new HDMI cable is easy and inexpensive.

Maybe for someone with a basic prefab system. A more sophisticated listening room will often have dozens of feet of HDMI (likely optical in newer installations) buried inside walls, and the processor may be in a closet or adjoining room. The cable costs $250ish but reinstallation (including patching/painting, crown molding, etc) could cost 2 grand or more. Hence the question.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 632 Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

-- Omitted --

Maybe for someone with a basic prefab system. A more sophisticated listening room will often have dozens of feet of HDMI (likely optical in newer installations) buried inside walls, and the processor may be in a closet or adjoining room. The cable costs $250ish but reinstallation (including patching/painting, crown molding, etc) could cost 2 grand or more. Hence the question.

Be realistic; those who install HDMI cables (or systems intended to support HDMI) in walls, without conduits or other ways of upgrading the cables without major disruptions, are making a fundamental mistake. HDMI has continued to evolve since it was introduced, with cables requirements changing several times. Long HDMI runs have always been problematic. To assume otherwise is foolish. HDMI 2.1 will be the next major upgrade and will likely happen in phases.
post #63 of 632 Old 11-15-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
Quote:
Be realistic; those who install HDMI cables (or systems intended to support HDMI) in walls, without conduits or other ways of upgrading the cables without major disruptions, are making a fundamental mistake.
Agreed. HDMI cables should be treated like wear items with the assumption that they will need to be periodically replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 632 Old 11-15-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Be realistic; those who install HDMI cables (or systems intended to support HDMI) in walls, without conduits or other ways of upgrading the cables without major disruptions, are making a fundamental mistake. HDMI has continued to evolve since it was introduced, with cables requirements changing several times. Long HDMI runs have always been problematic. To assume otherwise is foolish. HDMI 2.1 will be the next major upgrade and will likely happen in phases.

Well that’s nice in theory. In the real world people pay installers to install these things and don’t want the cost or hassle of ripping their damn house to the studs, so cables get put in while poking as few holes as practicable.

At any rate, this little digression does not address the actual question: does this processor have the same HDMI board as the 8805, which seems to have problems driving optical HDMI cables per the 8805 thread?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #65 of 632 Old 11-15-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4294
I have a tracking number now, looks like the 7705 will arrive monday.
I pre-ordered my first UHD disc... MI:Fallout Dec 4th.
Haven't seen the movie yet. Apparently it has Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR.
The Euro version probably has Auro I'd imagine since it lists it on imdb...

This should be a pretty big upgrade because up until now I've been limited to compressed 4K streaming or 1080P, no HDR, no DV, and no Atmos/DTS:X/Auro. Should be night and day...
post #66 of 632 Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked: 6647
Quote:
I have PVC in my walls for this Very cheap and only takes a little extra time
post #67 of 632 Old 11-17-2018, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
does this processor have the same HDMI board as the 8805, which seems to have problems driving optical HDMI cables per the 8805 thread?
The 7705 board is green, the 8805 board is black. A more detailed examination is left to the reader (or flip to the back of the book for the answers to odd-numbered questions)

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7705.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2484328   Click image for larger version

Name:	8805.png
Views:	145
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2484330  
Hyabusha and DS-21 like this.
post #68 of 632 Old 11-18-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Got my Atmos speakers set-up and working (whew) – first night messing around with unit—
did cursory Audyssey setup- Have not got measuring gear out yet or anything
Just wanted to get use to interface and all the options on remote –
One issue I did come across – for CIH users the volume is off the screen – could not find option to
change the location?

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #69 of 632 Old 11-18-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Well that’s nice in theory. In the real world people pay installers to install these things and don’t want the cost or hassle of ripping their damn house to the studs, so cables get put in while poking as few holes as practicable.

At any rate, this little digression does not address the actual question: does this processor have the same HDMI board as the 8805, which seems to have problems driving optical HDMI cables per the 8805 thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
The 7705 board is green, the 8805 board is black. A more detailed examination is left to the reader (or flip to the back of the book for the answers to odd-numbered questions)

Scott

You are looking at what is called the digital board. It has many other functions than just HDMI. Clearly anyone who did a search for images of the two products would find that the digital boards are different. That answer however seems irrelevant. The HDMI components on the board are the same however, and the HDMI standards covering HDMI operations are the same between the two boards. The original question revolved around supplying sufficient power from the HDMI output for an attached, active device. The number and model of DSP chips that process digital audio has changed between the two boards for example, but DSP processing isn't the question here.

OK, lets spend some additional time on this question.

First the technology.

We are looking at one, very simple, piece of HDMI technology. Here is the HDMI entry from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Note the diagram on the right side of the page showing the HDMI receptacle. You'll see the specifications for the power output from HDMI.

Pin 18 is specified to supply 55 mA minimum at 5 V. If an HDMI device meets these limits then it has met this portion of the HDMI specification. Systems that connect to an HDMI port that meets the specification, and depend on being supplied voltages or currents that exceed these limits are frankly not well designed (IMO) and are depending on luck for success, even if they understand that typically HDMI connections may have the added current available.

Now requirements. A guess is that the questioner wants to extend an HDMI connection past that provided by a typical HDMI cable. Further, the extended run needs to be hidden in walls or behind moldings, etc.

An HDMI extender that uses optical cable seems an excellent option. Fiber products from Celerity were mentioned in the posts on the AV8805 thread.

Here is some information on Celerity products.

http://www.celeritytek.com/product-ufo.html

Note in the Specifications section that both the transmit and receive ends are rated to draw .5 W. At 5 V the current requirement is 100 mA. Likely this is a maximum draw. This 100 mA requirement is greater than the 55 mA HDMI standard for current supply. Likely this means that HDMI connections on some products will function well with the basic Celerity HDMII connection and some won't. Running changes to a product could mean that a product that worked at one time now doesn't work.

Is Celerity crazy? No. In addition to the HDMI connection at each end of the cable, there is a USB connection (plug). This connection is intended to access power from a USB port to power the system. Here are the installation directions, both text and pictures. USB should have plenty of power to meet the 100 mA maximum. The AV8805 has a rear USB port that is intended specifically to supply power. The AV7705 doesn't not appear to have such port, and frankly there is no standard requirement for such port. Devices that supply a USB port for this use are readily available at low cost.

http://www.celeritytek.com/documents..._userguide.pdf

Here is the USB entry from Wikipedia. Note that even the most basic USB connection rated to supply 500 mA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

For any of the HDMI extender products or other products that will depend the HDMI connection for their electrical supply it is important to check the voltage and current requirements of the addon product against the basic HDMI specification. If the electrical requirements for the addon product exceed the those in the HDMI specification then the addon product may not work with all HDMI installations. Drawing excessive current from the HDMI IC's would also not seem advisable. Most of the HDMI IC's used in at least higher end Denon/Marantz/Yamaha, and as another example, the new Emotiva RMC-1, are from Panasonic. The datasheets for these HDMI IC's haven't been available so specifications for power output are also not available.
645824 likes this.
post #70 of 632 Old 11-19-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What’s interesting on Unit in regards to Audyssey XT32 in comparison to my old Integra 80.3
Its flexibility greatly enhanced–
You have options to completely bypass correction on your main stereo pair (L/R Bypass) as well as turning off Midrange compensation-(Flat)
I know some user in past had issues with limitations- I owned the installer kit so I had some flexibility-Been big fan of Audyssey for many yrs and continue to be impressed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2484790  

post #71 of 632 Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 PM

It has arrived and I have updated it to the latest FW. eARC DTS 3.90.50.51

Just testing out all the features.
The PQ seems to be bit-perfect as far as I can tell, at the way up to 4K 60Hz.
So now it's on to testing the SQ in more detail...
bslep, 645824, DaveC56 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 11-20-2018 at 05:23 PM.
post #72 of 632 Old 11-20-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dusted off the measuring gear – ran some quick sweeps to see what Audyssey doing –
Proof in the pudding – really cleans up my rooms response nicely –
Sounds superb!
If wondering my room is in cement bunker -get crazy bump at around 13hz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diff.png
Views:	108
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	2485358  

post #73 of 632 Old 11-20-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My seaton subs have 2 DSP programs – I always run Audyssey in DSP program one – than after I engage program 2 – give nice gentle boost under 50hz and gets back the few dbs Audyssey always seems to steal down low
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pgm2.png
Views:	52
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	2485360  

post #74 of 632 Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 PM

I tested the audio in 2-ch mode, pure-direct, direct, stereo and multi-ch stereo using the highest quality XLR cable I have.
Pure-Direct definitely had the best SQ by far, while still allowing HDMI video bypass.

No audible noise floor that I could hear even at full gain.

The SQ isn't quite as good as a Classe 800 nor a Sabre Reference DAC, but IMO it IS the next best thing...
It's "good enough" that I can say with confidence that you better check your speakers and amps first, before blaming the 7705.

I could barely discern the difference between it and some of the worlds best DAC's.

It appears to have lots of voltage and drive power, from what I can tell thus-far.

It struggles most with crosstalk, channel separation, and micro detail retrieval in complex mixes.
But at this level it's almost splitting hairs. I'm making it sound like it is horrible, but this thing is better than 99.9% of anything out there. It's the 3rd best DAC I've heard in-person to-date IMO.
Makes the Rotel 10 series and Emotiva UMC-1 sound like garbage.

Lots of golden ears claim to hear things, but here is my Harman Listener score, just in case you don't believe in my ability to hear things in double-blind ABX testing.

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com/
As an open challenge, feel free to test yourself against my score if you think your ears are more golden.
I'm not saying my ears are perfect, they ain't, but they are certainly "good enough". Level 8-10 is <1db differences if I recall. Their app will certainly push the limits of what you can discern.

I will try to take device-level REW measurements of the 7705's XLR output when I get a chance (it will likely take me several weeks to get around to it as the drivers in my new HTPC rig are acting up. Had to use my old HTPC rig above for HDMI ASIO.) I don't have an audio precision test bench, so don't expect miracles, but I will do my best with the gear I have. If it ain't good-enough then at least I tried!

Being flat from 2hz to 24khz is very important to me, as that is the bandwidth of my home theater speakers/subs.
Any rolloff will cause my subwoofers or supertweeters to drop output, which would be very un-hifi of the 7705, and even though I can't hear those frequencies, it's just the audiophile principle of it I suppose. hehe!

Ideally the 7705 would not worsen my existing signal path:

Only time will tell...

In any case, the 7705 is already a HUGE upgrade over what my previous movie-mode DAC was doing...

As far as heat output goes, the thing is barely even room-temp after running for hours, no idea what others were talking about: re Marantz pre's being warm...?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181120_182622.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	2485580   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_175656.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2485582   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_174457.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	2485584   Click image for larger version

Name:	7705.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	2485586  
bslep, Hyabusha, ckrawec and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 11-20-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #75 of 632 Old 11-21-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Can anyone tell me quickly if the Marantz AV 7704 and 7705 will get hdmi upgrades to new hdmi. Is one promised better upgrade in future over the other?

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #76 of 632 Old 11-21-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Quoted: 22561 Post(s)
Liked: 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Can anyone tell me quickly if the Marantz AV 7704 and 7705 will get hdmi upgrades to new hdmi. Is one promised better upgrade in future over the other?
Neither model will receive the HDMI 2.1 upgrade, rather this will only be possible for the AV8805.
post #77 of 632 Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Yep thanks JD I kept looking and found the thread were you detail differences between 7704 and 05.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #78 of 632 Old 11-22-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

really enjoying the Atmos upgrade in my system - Matrixing of 2/5/7 channel sources is spectacular - reminds me of my old Lexicon processors-
biggest gain has been from 2 channel sources - watching some South Park episodes recorded in stereo upmix was crazy good - very impressed!
biggest issue is deciding between Neural:X and Dolby Surround - both are superb -
bslep likes this.

post #79 of 632 Old 11-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked: 6647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

In any case, the 7705 is already a HUGE upgrade over what my previous movie-mode DAC was doing...
Well it seems to me like you are enjoying it
post #80 of 632 Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Really appreciate all your comments and have to agree it really does sound special. I was using my Oppo 203 in the same way with an old Tag AV32R and the difference is quite astonishing.
post #81 of 632 Old 11-24-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the biggest improvement from this unit in my system over my last ( Integra 80.3) is the algorithms updates in Dolby Surround and DTS:Neural -
I have been amazed at surround experience - In past have always gone back/forth between source/matrixed for what I enjoy- no comparison now -
Great job Dolby and DTS !

post #82 of 632 Old 11-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
7705 or 8805?

Hi Folks:

I don't really like this type of question but.........I have looked at them enough that I am dizzy at times from it :-)

Trying to get some insight from you all on the choice of a AV7705 or AV8805.
They seem pretty similar.

No. I will not and do not foresee using 13 channels.

Primary usage 2 channel audio along with Netflix, Prime video, disks, cable for video.
Will be matched with an Oppo 203, Anthem A5 amp, All philharmonic audio speaker system
I like good video sound but quality 2 channel audio is a primary focus.

This will be replacing an aging SR7008 that I am using as a pre/pro.

Thoughts and considerations? The prices are dropping nicely on both units.
The choice I make here will have to last a few years.
I like Marantz sound.

Thanks for your time folks. Hope to hear from you.

Last edited by ad5wb; 11-25-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: add information
post #83 of 632 Old 11-26-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Yes, but those differences are primarily in the quality of its construction and design (resulting in lower noise and distortion) not in the available features. Whether or not you'll hear any difference depends on the quality of your hearing, your speakers and your listening room's acoustics.
...and placebo.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #84 of 632 Old 11-27-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
...and placebo.
Surprising there are still high percentage of overall forum posts that could be described that way

post #85 of 632 Old 11-27-2018, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Quoted: 22561 Post(s)
Liked: 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5wb View Post
Hi Folks:

I don't really like this type of question but.........I have looked at them enough that I am dizzy at times from it :-)

Trying to get some insight from you all on the choice of a AV7705 or AV8805.
They seem pretty similar.

No. I will not and do not foresee using 13 channels.

Primary usage 2 channel audio along with Netflix, Prime video, disks, cable for video.
Will be matched with an Oppo 203, Anthem A5 amp, All philharmonic audio speaker system
I like good video sound but quality 2 channel audio is a primary focus.

This will be replacing an aging SR7008 that I am using as a pre/pro.

Thoughts and considerations? The prices are dropping nicely on both units.
The choice I make here will have to last a few years.
I like Marantz sound.

Thanks for your time folks. Hope to hear from you.
Double posted from the AV8805 thread.
post #86 of 632 Old 11-27-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Double posted from the AV8805 thread.
True.
wanted to get opinions from both sides of the "aisle" :-)
post #87 of 632 Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to cappy24
Quote:
True.
wanted to get opinions from both sides of the "aisle" :-)
any thoughts on upgrading from the av7703?
post #88 of 632 Old 11-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy24 View Post
any thoughts on upgrading from the av7703?
I am wanting to go with the "latest" product.
If goes well, retirement is 2 - 3 years away. I want to get the toys and pay for them before my income diminishes :-)
Up until the last two years or so, most everything I bought was 2 or more generations behind.
Cheers
post #89 of 632 Old 11-27-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Primary usage 2 channel audio
If your goal is 2-ch audio, then I would buy this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-ultralite-mk4
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4761 (or RCA equivalent if you need to.)
and use a player that supports ASIO (foobar, jriver etc)
Save your CD's to FLAC.

That chart I posted above with the -140db snr and 1hz to 50khz response, was my Motu24 (REW ASIO).
All of the new Motu's use the Sabre Ref DAC. Same SQ as the Oppo 05's.

If your goal is movies, then the 7705 is perfectly fine.
I give the 7705 DAC 9.7 out of 10 for SQ in 2-ch pure-direct mode when compared to my Motu in pure-direct (which is its default mode).
The 7705 is "almost" as good, but not quite...

Last edited by BassThatHz; 11-27-2018 at 05:47 PM.
post #90 of 632 Old 11-28-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
If your goal is 2-ch audio, then I would buy this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-ultralite-mk4
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4761 (or RCA equivalent if you need to.)
and use a player that supports ASIO (foobar, jriver etc)
Save your CD's to FLAC.

That chart I posted above with the -140db snr and 1hz to 50khz response, was my Motu24 (REW ASIO).
All of the new Motu's use the Sabre Ref DAC. Same SQ as the Oppo 05's.

If your goal is movies, then the 7705 is perfectly fine.
I give the 7705 DAC 9.7 out of 10 for SQ in 2-ch pure-direct mode when compared to my Motu in pure-direct (which is its default mode).
The 7705 is "almost" as good, but not quite...
BassThatHz:
Thank you for your kind response.
My primary interest is 2 channel audio.
Unfortunately, (?) my wife's is video audio.
Wish I had managed to get one the Oppo 205s! LOL!
Thanks again.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page