"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 246Likes

post #1021 of 1026 Old 05-23-2020, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 822 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24115 Post(s)
Liked: 13332
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
Just setting up a new AV7705 and have a couple questions.

First, when setting up, the unit display seemed to only give an option to view the menu items on my TV screen. In my case my TV is a Front Projector. I am replacing an Onkyo PR-SC5508 and while not as easy to do, I was able to access and change settings from the front of the unit. I am just now reading through the User Guide, maybe I’ll find something.

I use a Lumagen Radiance Pro in my signal chain and prefer to connect my video devices directly to the Lumagen and have the Lumagen route just the audio to the AV7705. Not a big deal since if I want, I can connect the 7705’s HDMI OUT to the second HDMI IN on my projector.

Second, what are thoughts on adding Heights speakers? Is it worth the trouble? I currently have 7.2 and do have 3 additional Infinity Cascade Model Three V’s I could use for Heights and by using one of my existing Surround Back Model Three V’s, I could set up a 6.2.4 configuration (Using a single Surround Back Speaker). I’m not sure the Model Three V’s are optimal for Heights but they are what I have lying around and they are wall mountable. I would need to find some more amp channels.

This is in a relatively small, sealed, dedicated Home Theater. I posted a question in the Dolby Atmos thread with no response; link below for more details on my room.

Thanks.
1. Settings should be displayed on the front panel display.
2. Adding 2 (or more ideally 4) height speakers should provide a noticeable 3D surround audio envelopment experience.
GeorgeHolland likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1026 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am in the process of adding an Emotiva XPA-5 to my current AV7705 and Emotiva XPA-7. The two trigger outputs are as follows

AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Panamax M-5300 that triggers power to the two amplifiers

Trigger 2 - to the XPA-5 and out to the XPA-7

When everything is powered on the amplifiers turn off after a minute or two - went ahead powered them on via the button on the front of the amplifiers.

After the cabling was done I noticed that there was no audio at all - I went ahead and did a factory reset of the AV7705 and still no sound.

Unplugged all trigger connections and powered Emotiva Amplifiers manually and I now have audio and sound.

I went ahead reconfigured the wiring for the triggers.

Current Set Up now from the AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Emotiva XPA-7

Trigger 2 - to the Emotiva XPA-5, trigger out to the Panamax M-5300

This configuration is working now...........

Question: Is this because the 2 trigger outs are maxed out? Not enough voltage to trigger everything?

I have a ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module on order to help the 12V trigger voltage distribution.

|Epson 5040UB|HDFury Integral 2|Elite Screens 100|Marantz AV7705|Emotiva XPA-7 and XPA-5 Gen 3|Outlaw 5000|Panamax M-5300|2 Klipsch RF7III|Klipsch RC-64III|4 Klipsch RP-502S|mini-DSP 2x2HD|Dual SVS PB-4000|Klipsch R-115SW (retiring)|Panasonic UB820|XboxOneX|PS4|Sanus CFR2136|2 AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T2|Acoustics by ATS|Logitec Harmony Elite|
post #1023 of 1026 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFreddyD View Post
I am in the process of adding an Emotiva XPA-5 to my current AV7705 and Emotiva XPA-7. The two trigger outputs are as follows

AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Panamax M-5300 that triggers power to the two amplifiers

Trigger 2 - to the XPA-5 and out to the XPA-7

When everything is powered on the amplifiers turn off after a minute or two - went ahead powered them on via the button on the front of the amplifiers.

After the cabling was done I noticed that there was no audio at all - I went ahead and did a factory reset of the AV7705 and still no sound.

Unplugged all trigger connections and powered Emotiva Amplifiers manually and I now have audio and sound.

I went ahead reconfigured the wiring for the triggers.

Current Set Up now from the AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Emotiva XPA-7

Trigger 2 - to the Emotiva XPA-5, trigger out to the Panamax M-5300

This configuration is working now...........

Question: Is this because the 2 trigger outs are maxed out? Not enough voltage to trigger everything? (Comment: NO)

I have a ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module on order to help the 12V trigger voltage distribution. (Comment: It's your money, but you are wasting it.)

Have you read the AV7705 and the Emotiva manuals? If you read the AV7705 manual you will find that each trigger output is rated at 12V, 150mA.

If you read the specifications for the XPA-5 you will find that the trigger input is rated at 12V, 10mA required.

Since 150mA is greater than 10mA that means the AV7705 has plenty of output capability to drive the trigger. Not in the manual: The AV7705 has a very robust trigger circuit using MOSFET's as individual switches for each trigger output and an ample power supply.

The trigger outputs are voltage sources. The outputs maintain a fix voltage by supplying whatever current is required to maintain that voltage. You'll remember that since 150mA is much greater than 10mA, plenty of current is available.

You should also note that there is a lack of posts in this thread complaining about insufficient trigger output. There are likely other owners who use the triggers and even owners that use then with Emotiva amplifiers.

The Panamax unit requires a trigger 12V input, the current requirement isn't given, but the Panamax would have to have a completely incompetent design to require over 150mA.

If you read the Emotiva specifications you will learn that the trigger output of the Emotiva unit is a separate circuit from the trigger input. This means that only the trigger input needs to be driven by the AV7705, not any devices connected to the trigger output. The Emotiva trigger electronics drive that output.

Here are some thoughts for potential sources of problems:

There is a trigger input and trigger output port on the Emotiva amplifier. On most gear the ports would be just pass throughs and either port could be used for input and output. Emotiva has a better design, but it is possible the plug from an external trigger output into the Emotiva output which likely means the Emotiva trigger isn't activated. A cable plugged into the Emotiva input and then plugged into the input on another piece of equipment also doesn't work. All of this would be very easy to do. In other words, pilot error. This would be an easy mistake to make even if the difference between the trigger ports is known.

Trigger circuits are specified to use mono cables. Mono cables are typically shipped with equipment, but most aftermarket cables are stereo. Usually stereo cables work, and should work, but not always for some reason in some pieces of equipment. An easy way to avoid any unpredictable problems here is to use stereo-to-mono adapters. These are very low cost items from Monoprice. They made solid connections to cables so they are unlikely to be adding a potential source of failure.

Of course something could be broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1026 Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
@bigguyca - thank you sir.

|Epson 5040UB|HDFury Integral 2|Elite Screens 100|Marantz AV7705|Emotiva XPA-7 and XPA-5 Gen 3|Outlaw 5000|Panamax M-5300|2 Klipsch RF7III|Klipsch RC-64III|4 Klipsch RP-502S|mini-DSP 2x2HD|Dual SVS PB-4000|Klipsch R-115SW (retiring)|Panasonic UB820|XboxOneX|PS4|Sanus CFR2136|2 AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T2|Acoustics by ATS|Logitec Harmony Elite|
post #1025 of 1026 Old Today, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hey Guys,
I have written an email to Marantz customer service in the UK, since they are the closest I guess that can speak English well and are also 220VAC as our AV7705 in Thailand is. Perhaps they are on the same FW?
I did this hoping to get help, and especially hoping to report that I believe it is their last FW update that crashed my ATMOS and DTS:X, that is, I think, hope it was the FW that caused my machine to make corrupted digital sounds and little else when playing a DTS HD-MA track on a blu ray and NO AUDIO at all now for Dolby TrueHD Multi tracks.
Try as I may I cannot find anything wrong that could possibly be causing this. The unit has been working and sounding great for 6 months!!!! So I am hopeful it is FW. If not, then I will have to send the unit to Bangkok for repair.
And who knows what even one night in Bangkok might do to a good boy??????
Seriously, I hate pulling the heart out of my system, and this is not the best time to be without the most important piece of my HT system, no computer, no net, except by phone, no TV, no music besides in ears and NO MOVIES. OUCH.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
God Bless,
Wayne
post #1026 of 1026 Old Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7483 Post(s)
Liked: 7524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Thai View Post
Seriously, I hate pulling the heart out of my system, and this is not the best time to be without the most important piece of my HT system, no computer, no net, except by phone, no TV, no music besides in ears and NO MOVIES. OUCH.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
God Bless,
Wayne
That is the drag, no receiver no sound, if you are using a projector, you just can not use the system unless you like sub-titles.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page