"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #91 of 485 Old 11-29-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3704 Post(s)
Liked: 4213
I just tried the web interface. I like it a LOT.

I will be using this feature often!
The best part is that you can adjust almost everything WITHOUT messing with the video signal i.e. while you are watching the movie!
Unlike like my Rotel, Emotiva and Oppo of past with their OSD-only.

I can tweak the levels of all channels to perfection without people losing any immersion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MarantzWeb.png
Views:	918
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	2489196  
jdubs75 and jdubs75 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 485 Old 11-30-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Need some info.

Just installed my AV7705. So far, so good.

It replaces a new AV7703 which suffered from many problems.

The AV7703, as did its predecessor, an AV7005, featured an HD Radio tuner.
Unfortunately, the AV7705 does not. Guess the world is streaming!

Beside missing the HD Radio tuner to receive some of my AM radio stations on
FM sub-channels, I cannot find any Signal Strength indicators on the AV7705.

My previous Marantz processors showed reception bars on the OSG and when the
"Status" button was pressed, there would be a numerical indicator of Signal Strength.

With the AV7705, the OSG shows nothing about the signal, and when the Tuner is used,
the "Status" button doesn't change to show additional info.

Anything that I'm missing? That is beside an HD Radio tuner!

Thanks.
post #93 of 485 Old 12-11-2018, 02:06 PM

I was able to test the frequency response and THD of the 7705.

Now keep in mind this is going through my Motu analog, and default java/windows audio, as I wasn't able to use ASIO because REW doesn't support multiple ASIO drivers at once. So the "actuals" are slightly better than this... and was limited to 2ch in this mode. (The marantz drivers max out at 7.1 PCM in non-bitstream mode, my Motu's go up to 128 channels.)

Tested at 96khz/16bit, and this wasn't even in pure-mode yet... just normal multi-channel PCM "movie" mode.

Basically flat to bat levels, and noise is very low.
I wasn't able to hear any obtrusive noise coming out of my 108db/w/m tweeters either.
YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	571.7 KB
ID:	2495320   Click image for larger version

Name:	7705.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	2495322   Click image for larger version

Name:	7705 test.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	756.8 KB
ID:	2495324  
bslep and DS-21 like this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 12-11-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 485 Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Here is a sample song run through the loopback of the 7705 AKM DAC vs Sabre Ref DAC:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zA...PHR9BZGTeEq7AH

Pure-direct mode was used it both cases.

That way people can hear what the AKM DAC vs Sabre DAC is doing to the signal, for comparison.
Some prospective buyers may find that useful.

It's pretty hard to otherwise evaluate a DAC's sonic signature given their analog nature and based on limitations of otherwise having to connect them to amps and speakers (and those each impart their own sonic signature, often in a massive way.) This atleast "attempts" to eliminate the latter two... (Not to mention, having to own the actual products...)

Last edited by BassThatHz; 12-11-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #95 of 485 Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6495 Post(s)
Liked: 6475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5wb View Post
Hi Folks:

I don't really like this type of question but.........I have looked at them enough that I am dizzy at times from it :-)

Trying to get some insight from you all on the choice of a AV7705 or AV8805.
They seem pretty similar.

No. I will not and do not foresee using 13 channels.

Primary usage 2 channel audio along with Netflix, Prime video, disks, cable for video.
Will be matched with an Oppo 203, Anthem A5 amp, All philharmonic audio speaker system
I like good video sound but quality 2 channel audio is a primary focus.

This will be replacing an aging SR7008 that I am using as a pre/pro.

Thoughts and considerations? The prices are dropping nicely on both units.
The choice I make here will have to last a few years.
I like Marantz sound.

Thanks for your time folks. Hope to hear from you.
Seems like you would not be getting the added value from the AV8805. Don't think for the a second the AV7705 is a slouch.....
ad5wb likes this.
post #96 of 485 Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
OK new owner here, coming from the Integra crowd, I have a user question. With my integra I was able to set "listening presets" and by individual inputs and incoming signal type. What I mean is say for the "media player" in my case the Shield TV, I could set presets for 2ch digital input signal, PLII Cinema, or Muisc[would be DD surround in the case of the Marantz] for example In the AV7705 I don't see such set up option, and the Pre/pro tend to revert back to "stereo" in many cases after the unit was powered down [to standby] and tuned back on again. The same thing is true for the Audessey setting, which I prefer it in "reference" mode after several back and for between it and the "flat" setting" yet I find that setting is changed as well upon powering up in certain inputs. I have to double check each time now I start using the Marantz to make sure everything is where I wanted it to be. None of this was necessary in my 10 year old Integra 9.8 pre/pro which had the aforementioned setting which was a set it and forget it type. So i'm thinking I must had missed something, and there is something that can be done. thanks.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #97 of 485 Old 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Quoted: 22163 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
OK new owner here, coming from the Integra crowd, I have a user question. With my integra I was able to set "listening presets" and by individual inputs and incoming signal type. What I mean is say for the "media player" in my case the Shield TV, I could set presets for 2ch digital input signal, PLII Cinema, or Muisc[would be DD surround in the case of the Marantz] for example In the AV7705 I don't see such set up option, and the Pre/pro tend to revert back to "stereo" in many cases after the unit was powered down [to standby] and tuned back on again. The same thing is true for the Audessey setting, which I prefer it in "reference" mode after several back and for between it and the "flat" setting" yet I find that setting is changed as well upon powering up in certain inputs. I have to double check each time now I start using the Marantz to make sure everything is where I wanted it to be. None of this was necessary in my 10 year old Integra 9.8 pre/pro which had the aforementioned setting which was a set it and forget it type. So i'm thinking I must had missed something, and there is something that can be done. thanks.
There are (4) Smart Select buttons you can use (p. 153 Owner's manual).
post #98 of 485 Old 12-15-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Cool thanks, it's a step in the right direction, though not exactly the same as it was in the Integra.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #99 of 485 Old 12-21-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Here's a unboxing of the 7705.

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
post #100 of 485 Old 12-22-2018, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Nice!

Last edited by bslep; 12-22-2018 at 05:04 AM.
post #101 of 485 Old 12-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Good evening everyone. I am looking at replacing my Emotiva XMC 1 and have been considering the Denon8500H ($4,000), the Integra DRC R1.1, and Anthem AVM60, in addition to the 7705 and the 8805. Honestly, the majority of these processors are overkill for me as I only really need a 7.X capable processor. I'm more concerned with PQ, but saying this I don't want to sacrifice SQ either, and I'm thinking any of those previously mentioned units will suit me find. Just some are far more than I need considering I don't have any ceiling speakers and most likely won't install any for a couple of years yet.

When stumbling upon the 7705, I thought to myself, this could be a perfect processor for me given all it's features without spending thousands more than I need to. I guess my questions are, would this processor still be equal in PQ, connections (gold plated), and still have great sound when comparing it to some of the more expensive units, such as the 8805? If I'm understanding all the "specs" correctly, the PQ and SQ "should" be equal aside from, Audyssey and the extra channels and decoding.

Side question: Are there rack ears for the 7705? I have extra rack trays so if there's not and I purchase the 7705 that's not a big deal.

Thank you all,

Judd

US ARMY: 11C4P08 (RET)

Last edited by Limp Fox; 12-29-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #102 of 485 Old 12-30-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
Good evening everyone. I am looking at replacing my Emotiva XMC 1 and have been considering the Denon8500H ($4,000), the Integra DRC R1.1, and Anthem AVM60, in addition to the 7705 and the 8805. Honestly, the majority of these processors are overkill for me as I only really need a 7.X capable processor. I'm more concerned with PQ, but saying this I don't want to sacrifice SQ either, and I'm thinking any of those previously mentioned units will suit me find. Just some are far more than I need considering I don't have any ceiling speakers and most likely won't install any for a couple of years yet.

When stumbling upon the 7705, I thought to myself, this could be a perfect processor for me given all it's features without spending thousands more than I need to. I guess my questions are, would this processor still be equal in PQ, connections (gold plated), and still have great sound when comparing it to some of the more expensive units, such as the 8805? If I'm understanding all the "specs" correctly, the PQ and SQ "should" be equal aside from, Audyssey and the extra channels and decoding.

Side question: Are there rack ears for the 7705? I have extra rack trays so if there's not and I purchase the 7705 that's not a big deal.

Thank you all,

Judd
Any different you would hear in the audio or see in the video switching would not be something to be concerned about – pay for the features you need –
Your room / setup/ treatments/ followed by room correction software is what’s important –
The Marantz is a great unit and going by other threads pretty reliable hardware-
On the ceiling speakers – I put off for long time – got to say thou being in audio 40+ yrs
It may be most beneficially upgrade I ever did. I been going thru my whole movie/music collection and
Its an incredible upgrade – at end of day its al about the software - cheers
thehun likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #103 of 485 Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was loving my AV7705 but now after 6-weeks of use the video is cutting out on Monitor-1. It started cutting out for 10-15 secs at a time once every couple hours and then became more frequent around 4-6 times during a movie. Then finally went out and didn't come back. No audio loss.....only the video. I completed a full reset over the weekend and resolved the issuer but only lasted for a couple hours and then it started all over again. Monitor-2 works fine without and issues.

This is very frustrating knowing I just purchased the AV7705 only 6-weeks ago and I will now need to send it out for repair!!!!! My Denon AVR5800 is still kicking after 18 years!!!!!!

Has anyone else experienced this video loss issue yet?
post #104 of 485 Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs75 View Post
I was loving my AV7705 but now after 6-weeks of use the video is cutting out on Monitor-1. It started cutting out for 10-15 secs at a time once every couple hours and then became more frequent around 4-6 times during a movie. Then finally went out and didn't come back. No audio loss.....only the video. I completed a full reset over the weekend and resolved the issuer but only lasted for a couple hours and then it started all over again. Monitor-2 works fine without and issues.

This is very frustrating knowing I just purchased the AV7705 only 6-weeks ago and I will now need to send it out for repair!!!!! My Denon AVR5800 is still kicking after 18 years!!!!!!

Yes!

Has happened twice when using the Blu-ray input.

No video, audio is fine.

Found that when I changed input to Cable, the video turns on.

Switch back to Blu-ray and everything is fine.

My AV7705 is also only about 6 weeks old.

Getting disgusted and worried about Marantz's "Quality Control" -
the 7705 replaced a brand new 7703 that had major problems.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #105 of 485 Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did you try unseating and reseating all of the HDMI cables? Refer to post 3 and do a few "Reset to original factory settings" in row. If still no joy, check with the dealer you purchased it from to see if he can exchange it for you.
post #106 of 485 Old 01-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Did you try unseating and reseating all of the HDMI cables? Refer to post 3 and do a few "Reset to original factory settings" in row. If still no joy, check with the dealer you purchased it from to see if he can exchange it for you.
Thanks for the responses @SnellKrell and @jdsmoothie .

@SnellKrell I've had the video drop on multiple sources now.

@jdsmoothie Yes- I've frogged the Monitor-1 & Monitor-2 displays and the issue follows so I know HDMI cables are seated.

I've also completed the factory reset via software. I completed a config back up first, followed by factory reset. Video came back. I then restored my config back-up and the video would no longer work. I then completed another factory reset and spent an hour running set-up again only to have the issue resurface a 1.5 hours into watching a movie. Really frustrating as I'm starting to find out this appears to be an ongoing issue with previous AV770xs! Come on Marantz!!!!!
post #107 of 485 Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the responses @SnellKrell and @jdsmoothie .

@SnellKrell I've had the video drop on multiple sources now.

@jdsmoothie Yes- I've frogged the Monitor-1 & Monitor-2 displays and the issue follows so I know HDMI cables are seated.

I've also completed the factory reset via software. I completed a config back up first, followed by factory reset. Video came back. I then restored my config back-up and the video would no longer work. I then completed another factory reset and spent an hour running set-up again only to have the issue resurface a 1.5 hours into watching a movie. Really frustrating as I'm starting to find out this appears to be an ongoing issue with previous AV770xs! Come on Marantz!!!!!
Another troubleshooting step would be to refer to post 3 and do a "Factory Restore" to return the AVP to it's original factory firmware as doing a "Factory Reset" does not alter the firmware version.
post #108 of 485 Old 01-07-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Another troubleshooting step would be to refer to post 3 and do a "Factory Restore" to return the AVP to it's original factory firmware as doing a "Factory Reset" does not alter the firmware version.
Thanks @jdsmoothie I completed the factory restore this afternoon. I'll follow up this week once I have some time to spend in the theater.
post #109 of 485 Old 01-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone in this forum is using a Marantz AV 7705 with Rotel amps and a B&W speaker package? Can you share your experiences of how you find the sound and how well does it match up with Rotel power amps and B&W speakers? Thanks.

audiomanz
post #110 of 485 Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi all,
do you have a date for the IMAX update?
post #111 of 485 Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delamelon View Post
hi all,
do you have a date for the IMAX update?
Early 2019.
post #112 of 485 Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Early 2019.

I had read January ..
post #113 of 485 Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Figured this would be a good place to ask. I have the older 7701 pre-amp and I'm trying to play Tidal MQA playback but can't seem to get anything higher then 24/96khz. The DAC is capable of 24/192khz. You have to use a desktop computer to access MQA through Tidal. I first tried headphone jack to (analog) rca's and couldn't get anything over 48khz. With HDMI and USB its maxed at 96khz even though the file is 192khz. I'm guessing maybe coax / optical inputs will play a higher khz playback but unsure how I achieve this off my laptop with no such output.
post #114 of 485 Old 01-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cates View Post
Figured this would be a good place to ask. I have the older 7701 pre-amp and I'm trying to play Tidal MQA playback but can't seem to get anything higher then 24/96khz. The DAC is capable of 24/192khz. You have to use a desktop computer to access MQA through Tidal. I first tried headphone jack to (analog) rca's and couldn't get anything over 48khz. With HDMI and USB its maxed at 96khz even though the file is 192khz. I'm guessing maybe coax / optical inputs will play a higher khz playback but unsure how I achieve this off my laptop with no such output.
The AV7701 thread is at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-s-thread.html

The DSP chipsets in older devices often are unable to process the highest bitrates. Sometimes disabling all features (e.g. by selecting Direct or Pure Direct) can get around that limitation.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #115 of 485 Old 01-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone in this forum is using a Marantz AV 7705 with Rotel amps and a B&W speaker package? Can you share your experiences of how you find the sound and how well does it match up with Rotel power amps and B&W speakers? Thanks.

audiomanz
Nobody here have this combination? I'm sure there is somebody. Do tell please. Thanks. :-)

audiomanz
post #116 of 485 Old 01-20-2019, 07:44 PM

Hi all,

I couldnt seem to find the HDMI spec on this preamp. If I missed it in the first post of this thread my apologies but is it HDMI 2.0b or 2.0a?

Thanks.

audiomanz
post #117 of 485 Old 01-21-2019, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi all,

I couldnt seem to find the HDMI spec on this preamp. If I missed it in the first post of this thread my apologies but is it HDMI 2.0b or 2.0a?

Thanks.

audiomanz
All 2018 Marantz models are HDMI 2.0b as they support HLG.
post #118 of 485 Old 01-21-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
All 2018 Marantz models are HDMI 2.0b as they support HLG.
Thank you jdsmoothie. Good to know. Some preamps only have 2.0a. Not sure if there is a huge jump between 2.0a and 2.0b and there is not a lot of HLG content right now. But good to know it has it for sure.

audiomanz
post #119 of 485 Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 PM

Hi all. I would like to share that I placed my order for the Marantz AV7705. It should be here hopefully next Saturday. It will be my first preamp by Marantz. I’ve been a Rotel user since the RSP 1570. I chose Marantz because it offers a lot more options than the RSP 1576. Don’t get me wrong I love the sound of Rotel but the new RSP 1576 didn’t offer the stuff I wanted to take advantage of my LG 65 C7 oled such as Dolby Vision and HLG and the fact you have multiple options for your Atmos setup, Auro 3D, DTS:X and other codecs and the option of using Audessy XT32. From what I have read this sounds very good in 2ch music. So that was enough for me. I will be using my Rotel DAC though for my computer music. I let my dealer(Rotel dealer)know and he said it is a popular one but not in the same class but encouraged me to try it out and let him know...lol Anyways can’t wait until next week...woohooo!!

audiomanz

Last edited by audiomanz; 01-26-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #120 of 485 Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Nobody here have this combination? I'm sure there is somebody. Do tell please. Thanks. :-)

audiomanz
Well, I'm close. I have the AV 7704, a Rotel RMB 1075 and B&W Nautilus 805 speakers. Before the 7704, I had the AV 7005 for many years. Honestly, I can't tell you if they're all a perfect match. I like it, but I doubt I would know the difference if I was using another prepro with my amp and speakers. I like the 7704 because of the features and ease of use.

Last edited by Maccur; 01-27-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page