"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #151 of 497 Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22197 Post(s)
Liked: 12056
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
I am having all kinds of trouble with this processor. I have been discussing the issues with Marantz for a few days now. I am coming from an AV7701. I upgraded in a effort to use 4k.

My setup is as follows

Samsung Q9FN
Marantz AV7705
Xbox One X
Sony UBP-UX80
Tivo Boli Mini
4k movie player

I believe that the issue is that the TV can't properly see what is behind the processor, resulting in unwanted video conversions.

I ran a couple different sources through the AV7705 to my Q9FN TV. The AV7705 is supposedly passing the video signal through unadulterated (according to its video information screen). I think the problem lies in that the TV does not know what or where the signal is coming from other than a device called an AV7705 (which is only identified if HDMI CEC is enabled in devices that support it). The TV therefore converts everything to [email protected], whether desired or not. When the UHD bluray player is connected directly to the TV, the signal is seen at 24hz and the TV displays movies at [email protected] The same holds true for an Xbox One X. When connected through the AV7705, the TV cannot figure out what the signal is. The TV is supposed to automatically switch itself to game mode when it senses "game content." Again, this works when hooked directly to the TV, but not when run through the AV7705. Running everything directly to the TV is something that could have been accomplished using my now retired AV7701.

If the AV7705 is simply stripping audio from the HDMI feed (if no video conversion is done), the TV hopefully should still be able to identify the source device or source content (hopefully). Otherwise, this device has no value for me.
Rather than suggesting things that Marantz may have already discussed with you, it would be helpful for you to list what has been suggested and what has already been tried.

Are you using HDMI.org "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps cables as is recommended? Have you tried setting the <4k Signal Format> setting to "Enhanced"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 497 Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Rather than suggesting things that Marantz may have already discussed with you, it would be helpful for you to list what has been suggested and what has already been tried.

Are you using HDMI.org "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps cables as is recommended? Have you tried setting the <4k Signal Format> setting to "Enhanced"?
I have tried several different high speed UHD HDR 18G HDMI cables. I have some from Costco (sapphire 4k + HDR I think), one that came with the Xbox One X, one that came with the Sony UHD player, the one that came with my movie player, and some from Monoprice. I really don't think it is a cable issue (see below).

The AV7705 is set to Enhanced Mode for the 4K signal. That is the only way to get Xbox to unlock HDR features.

What has already been tried.
1. Hooking sources directly to the TV and through the AV7705. Direct source connection to the TV results in correct signals. The same result with each of the above mentioned cables. For example, when connected directly to the TV, UHD bluray play playing a bluray movie plays on the TV at 4k/24hz. When connected through the AV7705 with identical settings, the movie plays at 4k/60hz regardless of the video settings on the AV7705 (conversion on or off, i/p scalling on or off).

2. Marantz had me turn on HDMI CEC which resulted in the AV7705 being identified by the TV. The TV still does not recognize the source components.

Again, same is true of the Xbox One X. The TV cannot determine that the signal is from an Xbox One X when going through the AV7705. Hooking the Xbox up directly to the TV solves the problem.

3. Marantz had me look at the Video information displayed in the settings. The signals appear to be unchanged when video conversion is off and correctly changed when conversion/i/p scaling) is on (1080p/24hz forced output is output correctly). Again, the TV does not seem to care.

4. Tried each of the four HDMI ins on the TV.

5. On the TV side, I have tried to turn on and off all that I can. Interestingly, the "film mode" feature is not selectable (when run through the AV7705) even for cable TV from the Tivo, even if I try to force 1080i from the Tivo box and or AV7705.

Marantz did not have an answer and is taking it to the engineers. This is a very subtle thing. Can I hook all sources through the AV7705 and have content play? Yes. Does the content play in 4K? Yes. Do I get the enhanced 4K content? Not sure. The Xbox One X picture looks much better when run directly to the TV and even asked me to turn on more advanced features when connected to the TV directly. Honestly, I'd be fine routing the Xbox video around the AV7705 if everything else worked properly. But, if I have to route the UHD players and Xbox and Tivo around, what is the point? I'd go back to my AV7701. I like Marantz and want to stay with the brand.

In the end, I think with these more advanced TVs, the source video signal needs to be identifiable by the TV. If the AV7705 is stripping off audio, it needs to leave video alone (completely alone) so that the TV can identify the source device even through the processor. If the TV just sees a 1080p/24hz signal without knowing its source, it tries to convert it to 4k/60hz and there seems to be no way to prevent this.
post #153 of 497 Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
I have tried several different high speed UHD HDR 18G HDMI cables. I have some from Costco (sapphire 4k + HDR I think), one that came with the Xbox One X, one that came with the Sony UHD player, the one that came with my movie player, and some from Monoprice. I really don't think it is a cable issue (see below).

The AV7705 is set to Enhanced Mode for the 4K signal. That is the only way to get Xbox to unlock HDR features.

What has already been tried.
1. Hooking sources directly to the TV and through the AV7705. Direct source connection to the TV results in correct signals. The same result with each of the above mentioned cables. For example, when connected directly to the TV, UHD bluray play playing a bluray movie plays on the TV at 4k/24hz. When connected through the AV7705 with identical settings, the movie plays at 4k/60hz regardless of the video settings on the AV7705 (conversion on or off, i/p scalling on or off).

2. Marantz had me turn on HDMI CEC which resulted in the AV7705 being identified by the TV. The TV still does not recognize the source components.

Again, same is true of the Xbox One X. The TV cannot determine that the signal is from an Xbox One X when going through the AV7705. Hooking the Xbox up directly to the TV solves the problem.

3. Marantz had me look at the Video information displayed in the settings. The signals appear to be unchanged when video conversion is off and correctly changed when conversion/i/p scaling) is on (1080p/24hz forced output is output correctly). Again, the TV does not seem to care.

4. Tried each of the four HDMI ins on the TV.

5. On the TV side, I have tried to turn on and off all that I can. Interestingly, the "film mode" feature is not selectable (when run through the AV7705) even for cable TV from the Tivo, even if I try to force 1080i from the Tivo box and or AV7705.

Marantz did not have an answer and is taking it to the engineers. This is a very subtle thing. Can I hook all sources through the AV7705 and have content play? Yes. Does the content play in 4K? Yes. Do I get the enhanced 4K content? Not sure. The Xbox One X picture looks much better when run directly to the TV and even asked me to turn on more advanced features when connected to the TV directly. Honestly, I'd be fine routing the Xbox video around the AV7705 if everything else worked properly. But, if I have to route the UHD players and Xbox and Tivo around, what is the point? I'd go back to my AV7701. I like Marantz and want to stay with the brand.

In the end, I think with these more advanced TVs, the source video signal needs to be identifiable by the TV. If the AV7705 is stripping off audio, it needs to leave video alone (completely alone) so that the TV can identify the source device even through the processor. If the TV just sees a 1080p/24hz signal without knowing its source, it tries to convert it to 4k/60hz and there seems to be no way to prevent this.
I ordered some Blue Jeans HDMI cables just to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 497 Old 02-06-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
How do you set the 7705 to Enhanced Mode??

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
post #155 of 497 Old 02-06-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post
Owner's manual, p. 198. 4k Signal Format = Enhanced.
post #156 of 497 Old 02-06-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post
Owner's manual, p. 198. 4k Signal Format = Enhanced.
Thanks Smoothie.

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
post #157 of 497 Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi all,

Tonight I did the IMAX Enhanced upgrade on my AV 7705. The firmware prior was for E-ARC. I cant seem to know if the E-Arc was also installed the same time the IMAX Enhanced was installed. All it said tonight was that IMAX Enhanced was available as a firmware update and when I got my unit it said E-Arc was available for the update. I didnt update at the time but I am wondering if I missed that firmware update or not? Anybody else download the E-Arc firmware update? If so what was your firmware version?

audiomanz
post #158 of 497 Old 02-07-2019, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi all,

Tonight I did the IMAX Enhanced upgrade on my AV 7705. The firmware prior was for E-ARC. I cant seem to know if the E-Arc was also installed the same time the IMAX Enhanced was installed. All it said tonight was that IMAX Enhanced was available as a firmware update and when I got my unit it said E-Arc was available for the update. I didnt update at the time but I am wondering if I missed that firmware update or not? Anybody else download the E-Arc firmware update? If so what was your firmware version?

audiomanz
The most current update will also include all prior updates.
post #159 of 497 Old 02-07-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
The most current update will also include all prior updates.
Thanks jdsmoothie. Just checking to make sure. All is well. Enjoying my AV7705. :-)

audiomanz
post #160 of 497 Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone in this forum is using a Marantz AV 7705 with Rotel amps and a B&W speaker package? Can you share your experiences of how you find the sound and how well does it match up with Rotel power amps and B&W speakers? Thanks.

audiomanz
I can kind of answer your question as I have the old AV7005 going through the Rotel rmb 1555 into B&W 683s. Quick answer: match made in heaven. I also have the Marantz mm7055 so I did a side by side comparison using pure direct stereo. The Rotel likes ac/dc. Gives it a more rock feel, feels like you are sitting in a bar watching live. On Dire Straits Brothers in Arms the 7055 produces a wider soundstage than the Rotel. So there is a difference between the two amps, but one you’d only notice side by side. Both are great and match the AV7005 to rock the B&Ws. Looking forward to upgrading the AV, hence on this thread.
audiomanz likes this.
post #161 of 497 Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Does anyone happen to know what the 7705 offers that the 7702MKII doesn't have? I know IMAX Enhanced for 1. And Amazon Alexa and Google. I'm wondering if I should upgrade or not.

Many thanks!

Last edited by yadfgp; 02-08-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #162 of 497 Old 02-09-2019, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
Does anyone happen to know what the 7705 offers that the 7702MKII doesn't have? I know IMAX Enhanced for 1. And Amazon Alexa and Google. I'm wondering if I should upgrade or not.

Many thanks!
In addition to what is listed in post 1:

(a) Able to use the MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android)
(b) Auro 3D on board
(c) Upgraded Bluetooth version (100' vs. 33')
(d) Dual band Wifi 2.4gHz/5gHz
(e) Auto Lip Sync adjust

If none of these is of interest, then will likely want to wait until 2020 when HDMI 2.1 is introduced.
yadfgp likes this.
post #163 of 497 Old 02-09-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
In addition to what is listed in post 1:

(a) Able to use the MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android)
(b) Auro 3D on board
(c) Upgraded Bluetooth version (100' vs. 33')
(d) Dual band Wifi 2.4gHz/5gHz
(e) Auto Lip Sync adjust

If none of these is of interest, then will likely want to wait until 2020 when HDMI 2.1 is introduced.
do older models allow DSU or DTS:Neural:X height upmixing choice on all material- thought I had read that you were limited but might have been patched

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #164 of 497 Old 02-09-2019, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
do older models allow DSU or DTS:Neural:X height upmixing choice on all material- thought I had read that you were limited but might have been patched
Nope, not limited on any model. Rumor is it may be limited on the new 2019 models.
post #165 of 497 Old 02-09-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Yes Dolby is pushing that nonsense with their current certification program, luckily the 7705 is free of that, but it might change with future updates. Let's hope that's not case though.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #166 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yes Dolby is pushing that nonsense with their current certification program, luckily the 7705 is free of that, but it might change with future updates. Let's hope that's not case though.
Not likely on 2018 and older models.
post #167 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK new owner here, coming from the Integra crowd, I have a user question. With my integra I was able to set "listening presets" and by individual inputs and incoming signal type. What I mean is say for the "media player" in my case the Shield TV, I could set presets for 2ch digital input signal, PLII Cinema, or Muisc[would be DD surround in the case of the Marantz] for example In the AV7705 I don't see such set up option, and the Pre/pro tend to revert back to "stereo" in many cases after the unit was powered down [to standby] and tuned back on again. The same thing is true for the Audessey setting, which I prefer it in "reference" mode after several back and for between it and the "flat" setting" yet I find that setting is changed as well upon powering up in certain inputs. I have to double check each time now I start using the Marantz to make sure everything is where I wanted it to be. None of this was necessary in my 10 year old Integra 9.8 pre/pro which had the aforementioned setting which was a set it and forget it type. So i'm thinking I must had missed something, and there is something that can be done. thanks.
After few months of use that that is only nitpick I really have on unit
Is the audio mode switching –I also came from long tern Integra usage-
I think from your posts you listen to a lot of music as well and I find the switching very chunky-
Also be nice to be more seamless between the modes when experimenting on surround choices-(movies upmixing as as well)

post #168 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK new owner here, coming from the Integra crowd, I have a user question. With my integra I was able to set "listening presets" and by individual inputs and incoming signal type. What I mean is say for the "media player" in my case the Shield TV, I could set presets for 2ch digital input signal, PLII Cinema, or Muisc[would be DD surround in the case of the Marantz] for example In the AV7705 I don't see such set up option, and the Pre/pro tend to revert back to "stereo" in many cases after the unit was powered down [to standby] and tuned back on again. The same thing is true for the Audessey setting, which I prefer it in "reference" mode after several back and for between it and the "flat" setting" yet I find that setting is changed as well upon powering up in certain inputs. I have to double check each time now I start using the Marantz to make sure everything is where I wanted it to be. None of this was necessary in my 10 year old Integra 9.8 pre/pro which had the aforementioned setting which was a set it and forget it type. So i'm thinking I must had missed something, and there is something that can be done. thanks.
Note that Dolby replaced all PLII settings (ie. PLII-Cinema, PLII-Movie, PLIIx, PLIIz) with a single mode: Dolby Surround.
post #169 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Note that Dolby replaced all PLII settings (ie. PLII-Cinema, PLII-Movie, PLIIx, PLIIz) with a single mode: Dolby Surround.
Note sure how they did it but I find the DSU almost perfect in my setup for music - great enginering - had always flipped between stereo and surround on some stereo recordings over the years -
with new DSU - the surround is better in every case I have tried -

post #170 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 439
According to Sound & Vision magazine web site, the IMAX firmware update for the 7705 is supposed to be rolling out as of February 6. Anyone got it yet?

post #171 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
According to Sound & Vision magazine web site, the IMAX firmware update for the 7705 is supposed to be rolling out as of February 6. Anyone got it yet?
I did my update last week. Dont have any IMAX content yet but am ready for it.

audiomanz
post #172 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes they did, they also let you toggle the center spread which is basically the difference between the "cinema" and "music" mode. All other settings are gone, which is a mistake in my book. The "one size fits all" approach never works.

The Hun
post #173 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not likely on 2018 and older models.
Good, I'll hold you that.

The Hun
post #174 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As noted in post 4, it was released on Feb 6 to the SR6013/SR7013/SR8012/AV7705; however, you will need to be playing an IMAX Enhanced DTS:X disc to enable the decoder.

Note this update also includes the "Manual" Audio Settings (High Pass filter, Lower Pass filter, Subwoofer mode). While the IMAX DTS:X disc is playing, select Audio Settings - Surround Parameter - IMAX Audio Settings - Manual to gain access to these settings.
post #175 of 497 Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Yes it rolled down on 2/7 for me.
post #176 of 497 Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I've been watching 3D movies the last few days and that is on the bedroom system so I haven't used the main media room system where my 7705 is. I'll check for the update today. I do have 1 IMAX UHD disc.

post #177 of 497 Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Can someone please recomend a balanced cable from my marantz 7010 to crown 802 amp? It's an rca/mic cable and the one I have from Amazon resulted in speaker buzz, at least that's my hope or I need a new amp...
post #178 of 497 Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
Can someone please recomend a balanced cable from my marantz 7010 to crown 802 amp? It's an rca/mic cable and the one I have from Amazon resulted in speaker buzz, at least that's my hope or I need a new amp...
If you mix balanced and unbalanced connections you will get some buzz or hum. One of my amps don't support XLR, so I use an XLR to RCA cable [each connection type on one end] and yes it creates a very slight hum for all channels, even though all my amps are mono blocks. So it's not the cable, but the fact I use a mismatched single amp that doesn't have a dedicated XLR[balanced] input.

The Hun
post #179 of 497 Old 02-14-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 319
&quot;OFFICIAL&quot; 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread

I recently decided to downgrade from the 8805 to the 7705 and glad to see it got the IMAX update although was surprised it wasn’t included in the initial rollout with the 8805.

No issues with the 8805 but I only upgraded to it from a 7703 to take advantage of the additional channels and the XLR inputs but not using either so I decided to downgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #180 of 497 Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
I recently decided to downgrade from the 8805 to the 7705 and glad to see it got the IMAX update although was surprised it wasn’t included in the initial rollout with the 8805.

No issues with the 8805 but I only upgraded to it from a 7703 to take advantage of the additional channels and the XLR inputs but not using either so I decided to downgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only the "flagship" models (AV8805 and X8500H) received the update on the initial rollout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page