"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #1 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 719 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22197 Post(s)
Liked: 12056
"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread

11.2CH 4K ULTRA HD AV SURROUND HDMI 2.0b PRE-AMPLIFIER (ie. no on board amps) WITH HEOS AND AMAZON ALEXA VOICE COMPATIBILITY

This pre/pro is now available from authorized dealers. MSRP - $2199

NOTE: The AV7705 will continue for 2019/2020 with the next replacement in Oct 2020.

Featuring 11.2 channel XLR and RCA pre-outs, the Marantz AV7705 supports three-dimensional audio formats: Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D and DTS Virtual:X. Enjoy audio playback with exceptional quality thanks to Marantz-proprietary HDAM modules and stream from Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL, Deezer and more with HEOS built-in.

Highlights
• 11.2 channel XLR pre-out; 11.2 channel RCA pre-out
• 8 HDMI inputs (incl. 1 front) with full HDCP 2.2 support; 3 HDMI outputs (incl. Zone 2)
• 4K/60 Hz full-rate pass-through, Dolby Vision compatibility, HDR, HLG and BT.2020
• Advanced video processing with analog to HDMI conversion; SD to HD/4K upscaling
• Dolby Atmos, DTS:X (up to 7.1.4 with an external 2ch amplifier), Auro-3D and DTS Virtual:X for height virtualization effects
• eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) support via firmware update supports the most advanced surround and object-based audio formats via single HDMI connection between AVRs and compatible TVs
• Stream music from Internet Radio, Spotify Connect (FREE or Premium account), Pandora, SiriusXM, Amazon Music, TIDAL, Deezer and more with Bluetooth, Airplay2 or HEOS built-in
• Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support
• Enjoy multi-room whole-home audio streaming with HEOS technology
• Amazon Alexa voice control via the HEOS Home Entertainment skill
• Marantz 2016 AVR remote app for control over the latest generation of Marantz network AV Receivers. Available on iOS and Android.
• Advance support for custom integration with Web interface and remote system monitoring with support of IHIJI and Domotz Pro.

What's new or to be added via firmware update?

- Able to overlay the Volume, Info, and Option menus on 4k video (including Dolby Vision) while Setup takes up whole page on black background
- RESET - Menu setting that restores all settings to factory default (in addition to usual 2 button + power on reset)
- Airplay 2 (via future firmware update on all current and former HEOS capable models)
- Web Control (reintroduced for the first time on HEOS models)
- <Dialog Level> setting more appropriately relabeled as <Center Level> as it simply adjusts the volume level of the center speaker
- <Center Level> (formerly Dialog Level Adjust) and <Subwoofer Level> (formerly Subwoofer Level Adjust) no longer have ON/OFF setting, but rather simply mirror the Center/Subwoofer Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones settings such that they can be adjusted on the fly now correctly as opposed to being in addition to the Manual Setup settings on previous year's models
- “ihiji Invision” and Domotz Pro remote system management technology
- eARC (via future firmware update - also AV7704)
IMAX enhanced DTS:X processing - firmware update early 2019)
- Able to use FREE Spotify Account - firmware update 8-21-19

What was dropped from the AV7704?
- Circle indicator on front panel display when "HEOS Music" source is playing
- Smart Select initial volume no longer defaults to an initial value (ie. previously 40 but now must be set by the user)

What does the AV8805 offer beyond the extra 2CH processing capability vs. the AV7705?

- Mfr'd in Japan
- Overall better quality construction and design resulting in lower noise and distortion.
- AKM AK4490EQ DAC vs. AKM AK4458VN for the AV7705, resulting in a 5dB increase in SNR for the DAC in the AV8805.
- Toroidal transformer
- Future HDMI 2.1 hardware upgrade (summer 2019?) to increase lifespan by supporting 8K resolution and more (similar to the "A" upgrade to the AV8802 for HDMI 2.0 in the last generation).
- Vertical Stretch for use with anamorphic lenses (note: does not appear to work with full bandwidth 4K signals like 4K/60 4:4:4)
- Rear USB input in addition to the front USB, the rear port is rated to power devices so more practical for a streaming stick or cooling fan etc.
- Balanced L/R XLR inputs
- LCD display on remote
- Dialog Enhancer (Low/Med/High; focuses on the 1kHz-3Hz voice frequencies unlike the Center Level Adjust (formerly Dialog Level Adjust) on the AV7705 which simply adjusts the Center speaker volume)
- Front Wide speaker support
- As a result of 13CH processing capability, better Auro3D support (and also less compromise with a dual use Atmos/Auro layout). The AV7705, like other current/previous 11ch D+M models is limited to 10.1ch Auro3D (5.1 + 4 heights + VOG). And the only way to practically mix Auro + Atmos is to use a Front Height + Rear Height layout. The AV8805 can run a full 13.1ch Auro3D speaker layout and has FOUR pairs height speakers outputs, allowing you much more flexibility to configure your layout while maintaining optimal Atmos/DTS:X playback. Since Auro3D was first introduced, many owners have commented how they prefer using the Auro 3D simulator (AuroMatic) to simulate 2CH stereo audio to a full Auro 3D configuration.
fgsouza likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Yesterday at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Product page and Owner's manual download: https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Produc...oductId=AV7705

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	3474
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2470208  

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-18-2018 at 12:16 PM.
post #3 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

How do I reset the microprocessor or do a network reset?

When the AVP is acting up or doing something strange, try the following steps before resorting to a microprocessor reset:

1. "Restart" - set the AVP to Standby and press/hold the power ON button until "Restart" is displayed on the front panel.

If no joy, then ...

2. Soft reset - set the AVP to Standby and unplug the power cord for about 10 minutes, then plug back in the power cord and turn ON.

If neither of the above resolves the issue, then you'll need to either do a network reset (if network related) or a microprocessor reset. You'll also want to reset the microprocessor before doing anything else if you purchased the AVP as an "open box" or demo/used/refurb unit to ensure all settings are returned to their original factory defaults. Prior to doing a reset, you can SAVE the config file to a USB thumb drive so it can be LOADed after doing the reset (SETUP - GENERAL - SAVE&LOAD).

Reset to original factory settings (no change in current firmware version)

1. On the front panel, turn OFF the power using the POWER button.
2. On the front panel, momentarily press and then release the POWER button (as you would when normally powering on the unit) while simultaneously pressing/holding the GAME and INFO buttons (under front panel flap).
3. Remove your fingers from the GAME and INFO buttons when “Initialized” appears on the front panel display.

Resetting network settings (the menu “Amp Assign”, “Speaker Config.” and “Video” settings are not reset)

1. On the front panel, turn ON the power by pressing the POWER button.
2. Turn the INPUT SELECTOR (left large knob) to select “HEOS Music”.
3. Press and hold the BACK and ENTER buttons (under the front panel flap) at the same time for at least 3 seconds.
4. Remove your fingers from the two buttons when “Network Reset...” appears on the front panel display.
5 “Completed” is shown in the front panel display when the reset is complete.

Note: Prior to doing either of the above resets, use the SETUP - GENERAL - “Save & Load” function (to USB drive) to save the details of various settings configured on the unit to include the Audyssey settings. The LOAD function can then be used after the reset to restore these saved settings.

Factory Restore (restore to original factory firmware version)

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: "M-DAX" and "DYNAMIC EQ" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel. This procedure will take 15-20 minutes to restore to the original factory firmware.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 02-10-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Firmware Change log Information

(1) Firmware updates for all 2018 models should be available via the Marantz website and can be downloaded and installed via USB thumb drive.

(2) Firmware updates can also be installed by the owner via an internet connection to the Marantz servers. Although it's not necessary to update your unit if you are not experiencing any problems, it's generally a good idea to keep it updated so that if there are any problems with the update the unit will still be covered under warranty. The update process generally doesn't take more than 30 minutes once the download begins and also generally does not erase any settings, although it's always a good idea to SAVE the config.avr file using the Setup - General - SAVE & LOAD - SAVE feature prior to doing the update just in case. Note that if the update process is stuck on "Authenticating", ensure a source other than NET/USB is selected and just let it continue for up to a few hours and it should eventually begin the update process (although note that Denon's servers have been known to crash the first day of release due to the overload, so you may want to wait a few days before trying again). One prior model year owner found that disconnecting ALL sources to the AVR enabled the unit to connect to the Denon servers and update the firmware when the update process had previously been unsuccessful.

Other tips if having problems with the update include setting "Network Control" to OFF in Standby, cycling the DHCP setting on the AVP, or using a static IP address.

During the update, the AVP will go into Standby mode, but will continue to update status on the front panel display. If the update seems to be hung up (ie. goes beyond 1 hour) ... power the AVP to Standby, unplug it for a few minutes and power back on and attempt the update again. If the update fails to load, check the network environment (ie. reset the router, replace the router with a more current/robust model, or ideally wire directly to the router if connecting wirelessly) If still not having any luck with the update, perform a Network Reset as described in post 3 above. You may also want to consider purchasing a long (100'+) Cat5/6 cable for network updates only for a higher probability of a successful install.

You will be notified automatically when there is a firmware update when the AVR is turned ON as long as the Notification Update setting is set to ON (factory default). For more information refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Notifications -Update in the Owner's manual. To manually check for an update, refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Update - Check for Update.

(3) What is my unit's current firmware version? The current firmware version can be determined from the AVR's menu: Setup --> General --> Information --> Firmware Version.

Firmware change log date/info:

1. 10-31-2018
- eARC (note that in order to pass "enhanced" HD audio from an eARC able TV (not expected until late 2018/early 2019), one of the following HDMI cables must be used to connect the AVR to the TV: Standard w/Ethernet, High Speed w/Ethernet (including "Premium" High Speed w/Ethernet), or Ultra High Speed w/Ethernet)
2. 2-6-2019
- IMAX Enhanced DTS:X
- IMAX Enhanced "Manual" Audio Settings (High Pass Filter, Low Pass Filter, and Subwoofer Mode)
- While AVR displays Title/Artist/Album by status display, AVR will display "Spotify" after "Volume change, Mute, INFO, Sound Mode change, SLEEP, ZONE2 ON/OFF" operations.
- Audio is cutting out when using ARC via Low Quality Cable (Long Cable) after installing U18 firmware.
- Added "General" and "Network" to Web control. (New feature)
- Update the firmware version to 1.493.180 Music files in USB stick memory formatted with NTFS cannot be played on HEOS products.
3. 4-17-2019
- Improves performance
4. 4-23-2019
- Corrects control system issue caused by 4-17-2019 update
5. 8-21-2019
- Improves performance and stability
- Able to use Spotify FREE account

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Yesterday at 01:24 AM.
post #5 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

post #6 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Google Home

In addition to working with Alexa (eg. Echo/Echo Dot), Denon and Marantz HEOS models are now able to work with Google Home.

https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/ans...Fconfiguration
post #7 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 497 Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks for putting this together. Info on the AV7705 seems pretty scarce (thought it was shipping already?). I have this ordered but have requested to hold until the new JVC projectors start shipping... I'm probably about 4-6 weeks out from completion of HT.
Looking forward to unleashing it when the time comes.

Obligatory Theater Equipment Lineup:: JVC RS2000 | Marantz AV7705 | Emotiva XPA11 | 7.2.4 with Ascend Acoustics (Sierra Towers, Horizon, HTM Surrounds, & RSL In-Ceiling | HSU Research VTF2-MK5 (x2) | HTMartket Southampton

Life's a Jeep! O l l l l l l l O
post #9 of 497 Old 10-19-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper12 View Post
Thanks for putting this together. Info on the AV7705 seems pretty scarce (thought it was shipping already?). I have this ordered but have requested to hold until the new JVC projectors start shipping... I'm probably about 4-6 weeks out from completion of HT.
Yes, it is. I edited the first post to reflect the AV7705 is available for purchase from Authorized dealers now.
post #10 of 497 Old 10-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6518 Post(s)
Liked: 6492
Quote:
See that you could be one of the first users I am surprised these units don't get more love then they do.
jeeper12 likes this.
post #11 of 497 Old 10-19-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
See that you could be one of the first users I am surprised these units don't get more love then they do.

Likely people buy AV7704's, and now AV7705's, and just use them. The AV7705 lacks a major advantage of the AV8805 in that it isn't as expensive, so why talk about it, just use it!
post #12 of 497 Old 10-20-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I have had the AV7705 for about six weeks now. It is powered by an Emotiva XPA-7 and a two channel Niles SI-2100 amp for my two ceiling speakers. I originally had the Emotiva connected using rca cables and switched to XLR cables which improved the background. The 7705 replaced a Denon X4400H, which I was using as a pre-pro. I used to be big into separates (at one time my system consisted of a pair of Parasound Halo JC1’s and A51 amps driving an Integra DHC-80.3) way back when and then simplified my system as I have always kind of been a receiver guy. Now I find myself back with separates. Unless you spend big money on a flagship receiver, receivers just can’t give you the sound quality a good amp and pre-amp can. At least that’s been my experience, although admittedly, I get bored quickly with components and guess I just like buying new stuff as I am hopelessly addicted to this hobby.

Anyway, the Av7705 is a noticeable upgrade from the DenonX4400. I had hoped as much and am not disappointed. The sound is more detailed, cleaner and balanced. My system has that “thump” to it. That very clean in your face thump that you get if your power supply isn’t restrained. Dialogue, which is very important to my 61 year-old ears, is very crisp and clean. In the past Audyssey has overshadowed resolution with bass, at least in my experience, but it actually did a pretty nice job. I think the Emotiva being a touch forward is part responsible, but frankly the X4400 didn’t have that clarity, so it has to be the AV7705. I am just very happy with the detail and resolution. Bass slams, but is clean as well. I think the components in my system just mesh very well with one another. I do notice on very rare occasions a bit of harshness in the very high end, which I attribute to the Emotiva. I am thinking about moving to an AT 527NC amp which I have read good things about, but at a much higher price than the Emotiva, which is only three months old. In any event, the AV7705 is an very good performer and I have no complaints whatsoever and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a centerpiece pre-amp.
Hyabusha, jsgrise and nonametofame like this.
post #13 of 497 Old 10-20-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
I have had the AV7705 for about six weeks now. It is powered by an Emotiva XPA-7 and a two channel Niles SI-2100 amp for my two ceiling speakers. I originally had the Emotiva connected using rca cables and switched to XLR cables which improved the background. The 7705 replaced a Denon X4400H, which I was using as a pre-pro. I used to be big into separates (at one time my system consisted of a pair of Parasound Halo JC1’s and A51 amps driving an Integra DHC-80.3) way back when and then simplified my system as I have always kind of been a receiver guy. Now I find myself back with separates. Unless you spend big money on a flagship receiver, receivers just can’t give you the sound quality a good amp and pre-amp can. At least that’s been my experience, although admittedly, I get bored quickly with components and guess I just like buying new stuff as I am hopelessly addicted to this hobby.

Anyway, the Av7705 is a noticeable upgrade from the DenonX4400. I had hoped as much and am not disappointed. The sound is more detailed, cleaner and balanced. My system has that “thump” to it. That very clean in your face thump that you get if your power supply isn’t restrained. Dialogue, which is very important to my 61 year-old ears, is very crisp and clean. In the past Audyssey has overshadowed resolution with bass, at least in my experience, but it actually did a pretty nice job. I think the Emotiva being a touch forward is part responsible, but frankly the X4400 didn’t have that clarity, so it has to be the AV7705. I am just very happy with the detail and resolution. Bass slams, but is clean as well. I think the components in my system just mesh very well with one another. I do notice on very rare occasions a bit of harshness in the very high end, which I attribute to the Emotiva. I am thinking about moving to an AT 527NC amp which I have read good things about, but at a much higher price than the Emotiva, which is only three months old. In any event, the AV7705 is an very good performer and I have no complaints whatsoever and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a centerpiece pre-amp.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I'll be coupling mine with Emotiva as well, with the XPA11 however... same design/architecture as the XPA7 I believe. I thought of going with the SR8012 receiver as well the Denon 6400.. but decided on the 7705 as I think I'll be happier in the long-run with it. Will be running Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers & Horizon center for the fronts with RAAL upgrade.

Huge shoutout to Chris from @Cleveland Plasma as well for hooking me up with the pre-orders!
bslep likes this.

Obligatory Theater Equipment Lineup:: JVC RS2000 | Marantz AV7705 | Emotiva XPA11 | 7.2.4 with Ascend Acoustics (Sierra Towers, Horizon, HTM Surrounds, & RSL In-Ceiling | HSU Research VTF2-MK5 (x2) | HTMartket Southampton

post #14 of 497 Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 3713 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Quote:
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I'll be coupling mine with Emotiva as well, with the XPA11 however... same design/architecture as the XPA7 I believe. I thought of going with the SR8012 receiver as well the Denon 6400.. but decided on the 7705 as I think I'll be happier in the long-run with it. Will be running Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers & Horizon center for the fronts with RAAL upgrade.

Huge shoutout to Chris from @Cleveland Plasma as well for hooking me up with the pre-orders!
You are going to love the Sierra Towers w/RAAL. I enjoy mines everyday. I also have a RS2000 coming in few weeks and also getting an AV7705 as a backup for my Emotiva XMC-1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	974.7 KB
ID:	2470874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6244.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2470876  

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #15 of 497 Old 10-20-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
You are going to love the Sierra Towers w/RAAL. I enjoy mines everyday. I also have a RS2000 coming in few weeks and also getting an AV7705 as a backup for my Emotiva XMC-1.
That's a nice setup you've got there! I see you're also running Rhythmic LVX12's and also associated with them?... Did consider getting those as well, but now pretty much decided on dual Hsu VTR2-MK5 due to lower extension. I admit this is without having a first hand listen, and mostly going by opinions on the interwebs. Admittedly, any differences are probably going to be very minor, pro or con depending on HT vs music. My usage is primarily (70-80%) HT.

post #16 of 497 Old 10-22-2018, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would love to hear feedback on the home theater quality, especially the 4K output, etc. I have an older Marantz 7702 so I think this is one of the best values to upgrade for home theater 4K any thoughts?
post #17 of 497 Old 10-22-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primadona View Post
I would love to hear feedback on the home theater quality, especially the 4K output, etc. I have an older Marantz 7702 so I think this is one of the best values to upgrade for home theater 4K any thoughts?
I am quite pleased with the 4K video pass through ability of this processor. I do not notice any PQ degradation. I am also quite impressed with its upscaling abilities. I can't tell the difference between the AV7705's upscaling and my Sony 940D TV. You do have to set video conversion to "on" in the video output settings in order to see the volume bar, but again, I see no difference in PQ between on and off. I have mine set to on and scaling off. I used to own the Marantz SR7010 and the video setting on that receiver screwed with the PQ. Not so with the AV7705. The surround sound is very satisfying as well. Hard to imagine anyone not liking it. Bob
post #18 of 497 Old 10-22-2018, 07:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
I am quite pleased with the 4K video pass through ability of this processor. I do not notice any PQ degradation. I am also quite impressed with its upscaling abilities. I can't tell the difference between the AV7705's upscaling and my Sony 940D TV. You do have to set video conversion to "on" in the video output settings in order to see the volume bar, but again, I see no difference in PQ between on and off. I have mine set to on and scaling off. I used to own the Marantz SR7010 and the video setting on that receiver screwed with the PQ. Not so with the AV7705. The surround sound is very satisfying as well. Hard to imagine anyone not liking it. Bob
Thanks, I think this is my next upgrade. I appreciate your feedback!
bslep likes this.
post #19 of 497 Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Wonder what is the difference between the AV7704 n 7705 ?????????

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #20 of 497 Old 10-23-2018, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post
Wonder what is the difference between the AV7704 n 7705 ?????????
See post 1.
post #21 of 497 Old 10-24-2018, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Noted with thanks. It seems not much added feature, except that IMAX DTS:X thing, which won't be coming till next year.

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #22 of 497 Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Joining club - Just got confirmation of availability (Canada) - Few upgrades this year - waiting on availability on new JVC N7 - Had 4 RSL C34E delivered last week for an Atmos upgrade- been kinda avoiding doing the install/mess of ceiling speakers- not my skill set-

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #23 of 497 Old 10-31-2018, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
I currently have an SR7010, did you notice any improvement in audio by switching to the AV7705?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #24 of 497 Old 10-31-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Besides price and number of channels, are there any differences between av7705 and av8805?

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Pioneer SX-N30, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #25 of 497 Old 10-31-2018, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Besides price and number of channels, are there any differences between av7705 and av8805?
Yes, but those differences are primarily in the quality of its construction and design (resulting in lower noise and distortion) not in the available features. Whether or not you'll hear any difference depends on the quality of your hearing, your speakers and your listening room's acoustics.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #26 of 497 Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Post 1 updated to reflect the differences.
mlknez likes this.
post #27 of 497 Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
I currently have an SR7010, did you notice any improvement in audio by switching to the AV7705?
The SR7010 was three receivers ago and I had it with different speakers. So, its not an apples to apples comparison. I will say that I liked the Denon X4400H a little better than the SR7010 using the same speakers and amplification. I thought the Denon had a more engaging surround sound experience. My memory on two channel doesn't really stand out one way or the other. I just remember being pretty impressed with the X4400H.

Now, going from the Denon to the AV7705 I am even more impressed. Better surround experience, better two channel. Significant is a word open to interpretation, but I will say the difference is noticeable. Just a cleaner sound. More clarity, dynamics and resolution. Not night and day (is anything really night and day?), but noticeably better.
jsgrise likes this.
post #28 of 497 Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 686
&quot;OFFICIAL&quot; 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread

I am fairly new on the AV separates subject and I was wondering what are the differences between let's say a Marantz SR7013 pre-amp/processor section and the AV7705 except for the XLR/Balanced pre-outs? How much of a sonic improvement will it makes?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)

Last edited by jsgrise; 11-01-2018 at 06:50 AM.
post #29 of 497 Old 11-01-2018, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

The eARC update was released to the Denon 2017/2018 mid/upper models last night so should be released to the AV7705 fairly soon as well. The IMAX Enhanced DTS:X update won't be released until early 2019 on this model.
post #30 of 497 Old 11-01-2018, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been getting some intermittent audio and video dropouts. At first, I thought it might be just limited to my DirecTV box, but, it's also occurring with my Oppo BDP-83. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors