AVS Forum banner

AVR replacement

589 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
My AVR-X4000 has started shutting off randomly on me again. This time it is out of warranty. Also just downgraded from 7.2 down to 5.2 system.

What do you guy recommend for a 5.2 system with 2 HDMI inputs as an AVR?

I have a 2 channel parasound amp for the two fronts. Looking to get a 5 channel amp to power all speakers eventually (in the next 3-5 months). The room is at 3000 sq ft and speakers are all Polk (250Watt 8 ohm RTiA5, 200 Watt 8 ohm CSiA6, 150 Watt 8 ohm FXiA6) with two HSU subs. Use the AVR primarily for movies and some gameplay off xbox, little to none audio only.

I'm not interested in having all the future compatibility. Currently running a HTPC into a Panasonic Plasma tv. If I ever have to upgrade, i'll have to so a complete overhaul. Only interested in the minimum to keep my system running for 3-5 years. Also plan on getting some MiniDSP Dirac Live room correction added soon.

So to keep a system like this running I'm sure there are lots of options. Looking into primarily something reliable and high quality.

See less See more
#4 ·
Budget is sub $1000.

This X4000 has been a headache. The first issue occurred when my outlet lost ground it started acting funny. So I've had it replaced under the original warranty back in March of 2016. Started acting funny again this past December. The unit went into storage and I just pulled it out and its randomly shutting off again.

What is your budget? Since you have amps you'll need pre-outs.

This Yamaha has pre-outs but if you like Denon then the X4400 or X4500 might be the ones to look at as they also have the pre-outs.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA870/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A870.html?cc=07
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX4400/Denon-AVR-X4400H-IN-Command.html

#3 · (Edited)
I don't see any posts in the 2013 Denon AVR thread regarding troubleshooting suggestions, although this was known to occur on some of the X4000 units unfortunately.

If you purchased with a credit card, check with your credit card issuer as many will add an additional 1-2 years to the Denon 3 year warranty so you may still have some warranty repair recourse.

Otherwise, consider the 2017 Denon X3400H on clearance as it is the lowest model with XT32 and 7.2 main zone pre-outs.

#5 ·
The original unit was sent in back in Dec 2015 thru March 2016 time frame (within 3 year warranty). NEW unit was sent out to me (March 2016) and it performed well until this past December 2017.

The original AVR-X4000 was purchased December 2013.

I don't see any posts in the 2013 Denon AVR thread regarding troubleshooting suggestions, although this was known to occur on some of the X4000 units unfortunately.

If you purchased with a credit card, check with your credit card issuer as many will add an additional 1-2 years to the Denon 3 year warranty so you may still have some warranty repair recourse.

Otherwise, consider the 2017 Denon X3400H on clearance as it is the lowest model with XT32 and 7.2 main zone pre-outs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.