Emotiva power vs marantz sr7012 power - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By smurraybhm

post #1 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
emotiva amp power vs a av receiver power

Hello all.

I own a Marantz sr7012 amp. I wanted to add the two channel amplifier for atmos front speakers. while doing so i came across two option

1) A100 only for front atmos

2) A-5175 for front atmos and FL FR and Center channel. but emotiva has a power rating of 125 rms all channel driven and marantz has 165 rms all channel driven. SO would it bring any difference is 2nd option worth it ?

what do you guys recommend ? i will be using svs prime elevation for atmos speakers and my centre channel is polk tsx 250 and FL and FR are polk tsx 440.

Last edited by Mustafa Jaleel; 11-08-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

bump..
post #3 of 11 Old 11-08-2018, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 727 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22373 Post(s)
Liked: 12178
The SR7012 would roughly produce the following: 2CH @ 128W, 5CH @ 84W, 7CH @ 83W @0.1% THD

The A-5175 would take most of the load off of the SR7012, but the A100 is likely all that is required, as the SR7012 should provide more than enough power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-08-2018, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The SR7012 would roughly produce the following: 2CH @ 128W, 5CH @ 84W, 7CH @ 83W @0.1% THD

The A-5175 would take most of the load off of the SR7012, but the A100 is likely all that is required, as the SR7012 should provide more than enough power.
what would you recommend.. is it worth the price My full setup is

polk TSX 440T fronts
polk TSX 250C centre
polk TSX 220B surround
polk TSX 110B surround back
svs prime elevation for back height

would installing A-5175 give huge difference in results of sound in a movie ?
post #5 of 11 Old 11-08-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 727 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22373 Post(s)
Liked: 12178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa Jaleel View Post

polk TSX 440T fronts
polk TSX 250C centre
polk TSX 220B surround

Nope.

You would have been better served purchasing a lower level AVR (eg. SR5012) and upgrading your speakers rather than purchasing the SR7012. The general rule of thumb is put 20% of your budget into the AVR and 80% into the 5.1 speaker setup.
smurraybhm and 18Hurts like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-08-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:

polk TSX 440T fronts
polk TSX 250C centre
polk TSX 220B surround

Your equipment list doesn't include a subwoofer. If you don't have a subwoofer then go with the less expensive amplifier option and get a subwoofer.

A subwoofer (most subwoofers have their own amplifier, which is what you want) will remove a significant portion of the power requirement from your AVR (SR7012). It will also remove the requirement for your speakers (likely the L and R today) to produce very low frequencies. Usually the crossover will be set at 80 Hz. This crossover frequency moves the two octaves from 20 Hz to 80 Hz to the subwoofer.

Adding a subwoofer will effectively increase your amplifier power more than adding an external amplifier. If the L and R speakers are producing the low frequencies today, removing this low frequency load will greatly increase the quality of the sound from the L and R speakers.

You already have an SVS speaker. SVS makes good subwoofers as well.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Your equipment list doesn't include a subwoofer. If you don't have a subwoofer then go with the less expensive amplifier option and get a subwoofer.

A subwoofer (most subwoofers have their own amplifier, which is what you want) will remove a significant portion of the power requirement from your AVR (SR7012). It will also remove the requirement for your speakers (likely the L and R today) to produce very low frequencies. Usually the crossover will be set at 80 Hz. This crossover frequency moves the two octaves from 20 Hz to 80 Hz to the subwoofer.

Adding a subwoofer will effectively increase your amplifier power more than adding an external amplifier. If the L and R speakers are producing the low frequencies today, removing this low frequency load will greatly increase the quality of the sound from the L and R speakers.

I do have a subwoofer didnt mention is.. klipsch swr115 !! pretty happy with that
post #8 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Nope.

You would have been better served purchasing a lower level AVR (eg. SR5012) and upgrading your speakers rather than purchasing the SR7012. The general rule of thumb is put 20% of your budget into the AVR and 80% into the 5.1 speaker setup.
Well i am pretty happy with my POLKS, i know there are many other speakers but these tune in good with my taste of hearing... i had KLIPSCH but there were too harsh
post #9 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 3150
As JD mentioned, before I started sinking money into amps and a new receiver I would look at improving your speakers and sub. Money spent there will have a much greater impact then watts or a new receiver. The Klipsch is a good budget value sub, but not in the same league as those from SVS, Rthymik, PSA, RSL, HSU, Outlaw, Monoprice and others.
GIEGAR likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #10 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:

polk TSX 440T fronts
polk TSX 250C centre
polk TSX 220B surround

Quote:

Quote:
I do have a subwoofer didnt mention is.. klipsch swr115 !! pretty happy with that

It is likely pointless and a waste of time, to provide any ideas for you, if you list incorrect or incomplete information concerning your system, that said...

Based on your most current listing of your "full setup", I agree with some of the other recent posters. All of the your speakers are the weak points in your system.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is likely pointless and a waste of time, to provide any ideas for you, if you list incorrect or incomplete information concerning your system, that said...

Based on your most current listing of your "full setup", I agree with some of the other recent posters. All of the your speakers are the weak points in your system.
Sorry for the incomplete listing !!! i thought list of subwoofer wasn't necessary as it wouldn't be powered by the amp/using amps power !!

I go with the suggestions but shall take a bit of long time !!! my room dimensions are 13 foot long 12 foot wide and 10 foot hight !!

THNX for the help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bobknavs , jdsmoothie , mickey mouse , nodoubt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page