• 1 Post By eriksells916

post #1 of 15 Old 11-15-2018, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What is Onkyo up to?

Hello Forum.

I have been a long time Onkyo fan and user. What are they up to? No new equipment launches announced. What are the rumours?

My `old` 838 needs to be changed/upgraded......it has worked flawlessly for a few years.

Also, I am still a fan of THX certified electronics....and it seems Onkyo is the only one out there receiver-wise...

I would `hate` to become a Marantz convert!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-15-2018, 02:14 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 715
The cure for Onkyo? Buy a Yamaha.
cocrh likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #3 of 15 Old 11-17-2018, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yammies are fine...but their design isnt to my taste........crud......I am actually considering a Marantz thingy......gonna audition a sr7013 today........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
idk about what you're talking. My Denon works fine. wish you it

Come as you are.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-26-2018, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes!.....the Marantz sr 7013 audition was awesome......super smooth, non squeaky sound....but, man, its twice the price of a txrz830..........

Really? No rumours from Onkyo insiders regarding new stuff? CES?
post #6 of 15 Old 12-01-2018, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Gene...cmon......what is Onk` working on? I am worried they are leaving the `game`............
post #7 of 15 Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Onkyo has some really good stuff out if you are ready to upgrade. They were having some trouble with HDMI a while back but they seem to be past it now. Check out their website and see if anything gets your attention:

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/pr...urce=globalnav
post #8 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Really? Nobody from this great forum with some insider knowledge?.?.........cmon guys........spill the beans!
post #9 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderslober View Post
Really? Nobody from this great forum with some insider knowledge?.?.........cmon guys........spill the beans!
I don't think Onkyo has a huge following around here. Most people here seems to be Denon, Marantz and Yamaha fans.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Just because of the hdmi board issue??? Onkyos are probably now the most reliable receivers in that department now! They would never let something like that happen again.....I guess......I hope!

No worries.......Marantz/Denon......uuugghh.........so bland.......maybe have to convert soon!! Just joshin`!
post #11 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Just because of the hdmi board issue??? Onkyos are probably now the most reliable receivers in that department now! They would never let something like that happen again.....I guess......I hope!

No worries.......Marantz/Denon......uuugghh.........so bland.......maybe have to convert soon!! Just joshin`!
I purchased the Onkyo 1100 and really like it. Rock solid and does all I need. As far as the Denon/Marantz and Yamaha discussion goes, I have owned many over the years including their upper tier units i.e Marantz 8802a and CX-A5100. I don't find the Onkyo lacking and actually prefer the new AccuEq over Audyssey and YPAO (yes I actually said that). My favorite is Dirac Live, so that is what I run in my theater room via a NAD 777v3 and use the Onkyo is in the living room. Onkyo does appears to bed dead in the water from a product roadmap perspective. They are overdue a product announcement, which is very troubling. No news is not good news in this situation. Sadly, I don't think they will ever recover from the heat/HDMI board failures from several years ago. Once consumer's loose trust, they rarely give second chances. The whole "once bitten...twice shy" thing. And yes, I hear Great White singing that riff in my head as I type this
post #12 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 129
LOL! Yea agree with @Molon_Labe a few bad boards on the old ones and now some connectivity issues with the new ones can create panic, especially in this digital age. I will say this though. I am in real estate and show a lot of homes in the Sacramento area. I have lost track of how many times I have seen an onkyo avr stuffed into an entertainment center with movies, magazines and crap stacked on top, the doors always closed and ZERO rear ventilation. So those who are screaming the loudest about Onkyo being total junk.....it could actually be user error?

Get out of my head Great White!
post #13 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:

Marantz and Denon are bland lol pretty much ever AVR on the market is just a big black box with a knob or a few buttons on the front. Personally the I think the best looking AVR's on the market are the Harmon Kardon models although you would be hard pressed to find anyone around here using them.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I know...Iknow.......was just bashin` for fun!......D+M are cool products.........too!
post #15 of 15 Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Sacramento? We host our data center at Raging Wire there in Sacramento. I am up there a couple times a year. Maybe I can hit you up my next trip up....its always good to meet fellow AVS nerds. Especially ones who can play air guitar to glam rock like Great White.
I have a Bachelors in air guitar! Yes absolutely. I live out in Placer County but am down in Sac all the time. We could go see @jdsmoothie , last time I checked he was near Sac too? Actually lets not go see him, I might come home with a few new components.
Molon_Labe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page