The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 968Likes

post #541 of 1005 Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Leaving aside newer surround codecs, I'm not so sure about that.

I don't believe there have been significant advances in the analog stage circuit design that plays a large part in intrinsic SQ, and A/D/A conversion has been transparent since long before that.
I don't know man, I've been hearing amazing things about this revolutionary advancement of only loading one DSP program at a time.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1005 Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
April Fools Joke, Do RMC-1 owners like it?

I am only an aspiring RMC-1 owner, but I was wondering if you all liked the Emotiva April Fools joke?

Dan had me going, I must admit. I just figured out the toaster

I particularly liked Dan's video. Like he says, "being able to completely immerse the listener in the content without them focusing on their gear"

Very professional, very well done!!
post #543 of 1005 Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaplewild View Post
I am only an aspiring RMC-1 owner, but I was wondering if you all liked the Emotiva April Fools joke?
Every time I see Emotiva focusing their efforts on stuff like this, I can't help but wonder why they aren't working on fixing things that don't work or maybe even working on things they promised over 2 years ago...

Glad they have the time on their hands for a lousy prank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 1005 Old 04-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Emotiva should not be focused on April fools jokes with the status of this thing and a bunch of unhappy customers. If they took that energy and at least updated people on what’s going on...much more constructive.

Goes to show you the arrogance and dismissive nature. They feel everything is just fine and working great.
noah katz and llang269 like this.
post #545 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_avp View Post
Emotiva should not be focused on April fools jokes with the status of this thing and a bunch of unhappy customers. If they took that energy and at least updated people on what’s going on...much more constructive.

Goes to show you the arrogance and dismissive nature. They feel everything is just fine and working great.
Is it possible the marketing guy isn't also the guy working on the debug and this has no impact on work being done on the RMC-1 ?
sdurani, rockhound76s and drh3b like this.
post #546 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
Is it possible the marketing guy isn't also the guy working on the debug and this has no impact on work being done on the RMC-1 ?
You mean they are wasting resources on a marketing guy when they could have had a few more engineers fixing bugs??

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #547 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Retrain the "marketing guy" to actually communicate with real customers instead of using SW to mock up fake products.
post #548 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 4049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
You mean they are wasting resources on a marketing guy when they could have had a few more engineers fixing bugs??
If they are paying the marketing guy as much as several engineers that could explain a lot of problems.
post #549 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Engineers cost more
post #550 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Engineers cost more
Are you certain about that considering the RMC-1 got an award from AVS years ago and they have an amazing amount of bugs still outstanding? Sounds like they have a very well paid marketing guy and the engineers are working for scraps.
brazensol likes this.

Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #551 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 4049
Quote:
Are you certain about that considering the RMC-1 got an award from AVS years ago and they have an amazing amount of bugs still outstanding? Sounds like they have a very well paid marketing guy and the engineers are working for scraps.
Or, more likely, they just don't have enough engineers. Or, possibly, the right ones.
dkersten likes this.
post #552 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

I feel like the AVS award is more like a great first impression before she knows you like expensive A/V gear.
post #553 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

These comments are all spot on. I get the overwhelming perception that Emotiva has only a couple engineers that work on processors, and they spend half their day halfheartedly trying to fix code that is beyond their capability, and the other half of the day surfing Indeed.com trying to find a way out of the corner they painted themselves into.

I totally get that marketing and engineering are separate, but how many hours did the CEO waste on this prank when he could be managing his engineers and focusing on solving the problems associated with one of the companies flagship products? How much money went into producing the video and paying staff to put this advertising campaign together that could have gone toward hiring an engineer capable of fixing their products?

I just can't shake the feeling that all their woes are due to poor leadership. It feels like Dan is a delegator who is just sitting around bouncing a ball off the wall waiting for Engineering to solve all his problems so he can announce his next vision that he expects will launch next year but really won't be ready until 2025 or functional until 2028.
post #554 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You can't just throw lots of dollars and people at software problems. Go read about The Mythical Man-Month if you so misinformed.
post #555 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Or, more likely, they just don't have enough engineers. Or, possibly, the right ones.
Seems the answer is yes, and yes.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #556 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
These comments are all spot on. I get the overwhelming perception that Emotiva has only a couple engineers that work on processors, and they spend half their day halfheartedly trying to fix code that is beyond their capability, and the other half of the day surfing Indeed.com trying to find a way out of the corner they painted themselves into.

I totally get that marketing and engineering are separate, but how many hours did the CEO waste on this prank when he could be managing his engineers and focusing on solving the problems associated with one of the companies flagship products? How much money went into producing the video and paying staff to put this advertising campaign together that could have gone toward hiring an engineer capable of fixing their products?

I just can't shake the feeling that all their woes are due to poor leadership. It feels like Dan is a delegator who is just sitting around bouncing a ball off the wall waiting for Engineering to solve all his problems so he can announce his next vision that he expects will launch next year but really won't be ready until 2025 or functional until 2028.

I loved their reply... "the departments are separate".

Emotiva staff meeting:

Dan: ok, let's all go around the table and talk about what's going on. Let's start with engineering and an update on the RMC-1.
Engineering: well, we don't see any problems with the RMC-1, the video game console we use in the office works great with the RMC-1. We do get a drop out once in a while, but I don't see an issue with this. I'm sure if we hooked up more and varied components everything else would be just fine too.
<someone>: have you seen the forums, seems like lots of people have lots of problems... dropouts, horrible noises, killing subwoofers, no hdmi sync, etc... that are unsolved for months?
Engineering: I don't see the problem. We talked about how great the Feb-14th release was in the recent podcast, in fact we started the podcast with this topic and we said it addressed the issues people were having. We stand by that.
Dan: ok, yes, we did say that. Marketing?
Marketing: we are working on an april fools joke... probably will take a few days work. We are going to announce more processors based on the success of the RMC-1 soon. We gave some units to people in Africa and they loved them.
Dan: man, I love this place. Everyone just works so well together.
dkersten, brazensol and duckymomo like this.
post #557 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked: 4973
Quote:
Originally Posted by millst View Post
You can't just throw lots of dollars and people at software problems. Go read about The Mythical Man-Month if you so misinformed.
Not throwing dollars and people won't help either.

Dan Laufman came onto AVS in 2017 lauding the power of the dual 5th-gen ADI SHARC+s and Panasonic HDMI chipsets (supposedly custom and exclusive). Things would be different this time because they had full control of the software not relying on any 3rd parties.

Well, there is no-one else to blame than Dan. I ran into a former Emotiva engineer who's name rhymes with Dory. He had no desire to discuss the RMC-1 but was relieved to be working on something different now. Harnessing the processing power has been a serious issue. There is no reason this shouldn't be a snappy, quick processor. It turned out that shortly after Dan's bragging D&M announced their new flagships which utilized near identical hardware (SHARC+s, HDMI & DACs).

It's not all doom and gloom. Reports are that the sonics are great. The RMC-1 is fully differential while D&M are not. Many users require OSD and Emotiva's is truly something special. While it has become somewhat of a joke, the RMC-1 can still be viable if they can get it together.

For me personally, I have lost the confidence needed to invest my money with Emotiva. My money belonged to them 2 years ago. Now there are simply other (better?) options on the horizon.
HTNUT1975 and drh3b like this.
post #558 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millst View Post
If you have programmers who are experts in the language, understand how the hardware interprets that language, and are really good at solving logic problems, then you are right, throwing more money or people at the problem will not fix it faster. But if the issue is either a lack of time to work on fixes OR a lack of capability in your software engineers, then you absolutely can use money to hire people who are more capable of fixing the issues, and fixing them right the first time without breaking everything else.

Of course, if the issue is in the hardware, then everything changes. A company faced with a recall to replace hardware will spend as much time as possible trying to implement a software fix to avoid that, and even the best engineers could be at it for months.

At the same time though, when your flagship product is the laughing stock of the industry, you don't waste time on April Fools jokes, and you certainly don't spend all your marketing dollars on trying to sell closeout and refurb products hoping that some cheap tech will distract people from the expensive brick sitting in their rack giving them grief. You focus on damage control and proving to the customer that you are being as responsive as possible so you don't alienate your base. A good CEO should know this. Just my opinion...
post #559 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I am exceptionally curious regarding the software stack used by this (and other) processors. I have to assume that there's some (quite possibly a lot of) 3rd-party software / firmware. There's no way Emotiva wrote everything from the ground-up. So, it really depends where the issues lie whether or not Emotiva has sufficient control to fix them exclusively on their time-line. They may be waiting in a queue for bug-fixes just like their customers.

That said, certainly other platforms have used a similar hardware design and it works, so...it does make me wonder if it's Emotiva's in-house implementation at fault. I suppose I'll never be privy to the details, but it interests me to sit on the sidelines and hope this pans out for them.

All the while, despite being tempted, I am glad I didn't dip my toe in the Emotiva RMC-1 waters.
brazensol likes this.
post #560 of 1005 Old 04-03-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 59
When comparing the RMC-1 and its future siblings to the current/future competition of processors with Dirac, one thing to take into consideration is the 40 percent off Emotiva card that still sells on eBay.

If it turns out that the RMC-1's problems get worked out (and from what I'm reading, that's a big "if"), then if someone takes advantage of one of those discount cards, the RMC-1 (or one of its future little brothers) will be a steal in comparison to its competition (and future competition). I ended up picking up one just in case the it works out (so, I'm betting that it does work out; and if it doesn't, it is possible I'll have to sell the card at a loss, but I doubt that loss will be much, if at all). From what I can tell, it may have the capability to fully render Dirac's new bass module, while other current Dirac processors may not be able to fully take advantage of that. It looks like one can fully eq separate subs and set different levels for each; I don't believe one can do that with Arcam/Lexicon or NAD processors (which begs the question whether they will be able to fully take advantage of the new Dirac bass module).
Mike_WI likes this.
post #561 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
for those who are experiencing dropouts after the latest firmware

I am very curious to here from an Actual Owner of an RMC-1 about their sound dropout issues.

I am curious if those dropouts occur across all of their devices or just certain ones. Is it certain digital audio formats? And if it just certain devises what they are and how they are set. Both in regards to how Video and Sound output are set on that devises setup menu, and up in terms of length of HDMI run and even what type of cable.

Perhaps we can help each other out and find ways to make things work.

I get "this is a flagship" and it is not as plug and play as we would like. But there have to be some certain work arounds that will allow people to enjoy their pre/pro they way it is working now. Regardless if we should have to or not.

this 80% of the forum bitching about it, especially when you don't even own one is useless
post #562 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Not throwing dollars and people won't help either.

Dan Laufman came onto AVS in 2017 lauding the power of the dual 5th-gen ADI SHARC+s and Panasonic HDMI chipsets (supposedly custom and exclusive). Things would be different this time because they had full control of the software not relying on any 3rd parties.

Well, there is no-one else to blame than Dan. I ran into a former Emotiva engineer who's name rhymes with Dory. He had no desire to discuss the RMC-1 but was relieved to be working on something different now. Harnessing the processing power has been a serious issue. There is no reason this shouldn't be a snappy, quick processor. It turned out that shortly after Dan's bragging D&M announced their new flagships which utilized near identical hardware (SHARC+s, HDMI & DACs).

It's not all doom and gloom. Reports are that the sonics are great. The RMC-1 is fully differential while D&M are not. Many users require OSD and Emotiva's is truly something special. While it has become somewhat of a joke, the RMC-1 can still be viable if they can get it together.

For me personally, I have lost the confidence needed to invest my money with Emotiva. My money belonged to them 2 years ago. Now there are simply other (better?) options on the horizon.
If by better you mean actually works I sure hope so! I was hoping to put the RMC-1 into service last spring but here it is a year later and it still doesn't function properly.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #563 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post
I am very curious to here from an Actual Owner of an RMC-1 about their sound dropout issues.

I am curious if those dropouts occur across all of their devices or just certain ones. Is it certain digital audio formats? And if it just certain devises what they are and how they are set. Both in regards to how Video and Sound output are set on that devises setup menu, and up in terms of length of HDMI run and even what type of cable.

I get "this is a flagship" and it is not as plug and play as we would like. But there have to be some certain work arounds that will allow people to enjoy their pre/pro they way it is working now. Regardless if we should have to or not.

this 80% of the forum bitching about it, especially when you don't even own one is useless
On the other hand bitching about it might be the only thing that motivates Emotiva. Trying to find the magic combination of equipment along with the as yet undiscovered sequence of powering up said magic equipment in the hope of enjoying a 5k processor falls a bit flat.

Denali Cinema
post #564 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked: 4973
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I am exceptionally curious regarding the software stack used by this (and other) processors. I have to assume that there's some (quite possibly a lot of) 3rd-party software / firmware. There's no way Emotiva wrote everything from the ground-up. So, it really depends where the issues lie whether or not Emotiva has sufficient control to fix them exclusively on their time-line. They may be waiting in a queue for bug-fixes just like their customers.

That said, certainly other platforms have used a similar hardware design and it works, so...it does make me wonder if it's Emotiva's in-house implementation at fault. I suppose I'll never be privy to the details, but it interests me to sit on the sidelines and hope this pans out for them.
There is quite a bit that we actually do know (interspersed throughout two other RMC-1 threads). Emotiva is the only vendor currently using the ARM coprocessor on the SHARC+ to run their OS. They do own their implementation (including the Atmos 9.1.6 decoding), not to say the development wasn't contracted… but they hold the bag.
post #565 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:

This is going to be a bit of data dump, so I apologize ahead of time. though my testing I can confirm the audio and video issues are not due to source device... unless ALL my devices are bad devices.

FW Load Process (only need to perform once):

1. Reset all source devices to factory default settings. ("Auto" for almost all video and audio setting outputs)
2. Unplugged all source and display devices from their hdmi connections. Also unplug the devices from their electrical power
3. Turn on RMC reset to factory default settings.
4. Full reboot/power cycle on the RMC
5. Install/Reload FW 1.2
6. Turn on RMC with new firmware installed
7. Turn off the RMC and flip the rear power switch to "off"
8. While RMC was powered off, connect all hdmi sources. After hdmi connections are made, plug them into electrical power. PRO TIP: Only connect one display device. I used hdmi output 1 for my projector
9. Turned on the RMC
10. I waited ~3 minutes
11. Load user settings from USB
12. Turn RMC off

Process to turn system on:
1. Power on display device. Wait for it to boot.
2. Turn on RMC. Wait for it to boot.
3. Power on source device. Wait for it to boot.
4. Begin using system.

Using that method I have encountered audio dropouts/pops/clicks while using the following devices:
  • Oppo 203 player (using both disc and network files)
  • AppleTV Gen 3
  • Cable TV box
  • Mede8der 6003DX movie streamer

I have encountered audio dropouts/pops/clicks while using the following sound formats:
  • DTS 5.1 (lossy)
  • DTS 7.1 HD
  • DTS:X
  • Dolby 2.0
  • Dolby 5.1
  • Dolby TrueHD
  • Dolby Atmos

The above tests were all done with all devices set to "Auto" or their default settings. I've also experience the same audio issues after loading user settings in the RMC, custom video output on the Oppo, LPCM and bitstream with the Oppo, LPCM and bitstream with the Mede8der, customer settings with the JVC.

My hdmi cables are all 4K certified. I've also tested with cheap hdmi cables as well as some higher boutique brands. No impact on the results. The only hdmi cables I have that are longer than 3ft is running from the RMC to the JVC projector.

Here is a video of some of the issues I have as of now. Source device is the Oppo. Video starts with the blue screen of death. If I switch hdmi inputs (from Oppo to ApplveTV) I get video back and the Oppo main menu is displayed. Once I select the BR disc option, I lose video. Without switching inputs this time I blindly navigate the disc to the top menu of the movie. No video on the screen, but audio from the disc is heard. I then blindly again select to play the movie. this time I have no video and the audio has been dropped completely. Oppo shows the movie time advancing but no video or audio.

If there is a combination or setup you'd like me to test, please let me know.
rockhound76s likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #566 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
This is going to be a bit of data dump, so I apologize ahead of time. though my testing I can confirm the audio and video issues are not due to source device... unless ALL my devices are bad devices.

1. Reset all source devices to factory default settings. ("Auto" for almost all video and audio setting outputs)
2. Unplugged all source and display devices from their hdmi connections. Also unplug the devices from their electrical power
5. Install/Reload FW 1.2
8. While RMC was powered off, connect all hdmi sources. After hdmi connections are made, plug them into electrical power. PRO TIP: Only connect one display device. I used hdmi output 1 for my projector
9. Turned on the RMC
10. I waited ~3 minutes
12. Turn RMC off

4. Begin using system.

Using that method I have encountered audio dropouts/pops/clicks while using the following devices:
  • AppleTV Gen 3
  • Cable TV box

I have encountered audio dropouts/pops/clicks while using the following sound formats:
  • DTS 5.1 (lossy)
  • DTS 7.1 HD
  • Dolby 2.0
  • Dolby 5.1
  • Dolby TrueHD
  • Dolby Atmos

The above tests were all done with all devices set to "Auto" or their default settings. I've also experience the same audio issues after loading user settings in the RMC, custom video output on the Oppo, LPCM and bitstream with the Oppo, LPCM and bitstream with the Mede8der, customer settings with the JVC.

My hdmi cables are all 4K certified. I've also tested with cheap hdmi cables as well as some higher boutique brands. No impact on the results. The only hdmi cables I have that are longer than 3ft is running from the RMC to the JVC projector.

Here is a video of some of the issues I have as of now. Source device is the Oppo. Video starts with the blue screen of death. If I switch hdmi inputs (from Oppo to ApplveTV) I get video back and the Oppo main menu is displayed. Once I select the BR disc option, I lose video. Without switching inputs this time I blindly navigate the disc to the top menu of the movie. No video on the screen, but audio from the disc is heard. I then blindly again select to play the movie. this time I have no video and the audio has been dropped completely. Oppo shows the movie time advancing but no video or audio.
https://youtu.be/Zrv9xRo_FMM

thanks. let me take a look.
post #567 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

5. Install/Reload FW 1.2
9. Turned on the RMC
10. I waited ~3 minutes
12. Turn RMC off

4. Begin using system.

• AppleTV Gen 3
  • Cable TV box

• DTS 5.1 (lossy)
  • DTS 7.1 HD
  • Dolby 2.0
  • Dolby 5.1
  • Dolby TrueHD
  • Dolby Atmos

https://youtu.be/Zrv9xRo_FMM

Thank you for taking the time out to layout the issues you are having. No doubt there are issues.

So on the Emotiva lounge they gave a note on downloading the firmware and uploading to the unit

2)
AFTER THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE IS PERFORMED WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU RESET ALL THE HDMI DEVICES YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO THE RMC-1.
TO DO THIS YOU MUST PHYSICALLY UNPLUG THE AC POWER ON THE RMC-1, YOUR TV, AND ANY OTHER HDMI DEVICES YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO YOUR RMC-1.
Everything must be unplugged AT THE SAME TIME for at least ten seconds.
It is NOT sufficient to simply place your devices in Standby, many devices cannot be turned fully off, and many devices cannot be rebooted without unplugging them.
It is not sufficient to unplug your devices one at a time.
You must unplug them all, so they are all unplugged at the same time, count to ten slowly, then plug them all back in.
This will ensure that all of your devices go through a full reboot.
(We DO NOT REQUIRE this but, if you have ANY problems, then you should do it.)

I basically just unplugged everything and plugged it back in a minute later. Who knows if it did anything (but worth a shot)

So I had similar issues with My oppo 103. I found that when I forced the video output to 4k and set the HDMI color space to YCbCr 4:4:4 I no longer had the video issue I had prior.

As for the audio on the OPPO I had it set to bitstreem. But in your case try LCPM

Curious if this takes away one issue
post #568 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why would anyone want to use bitstream on a 15ch processor?

In other words disabling Atmos/DTS:X is probably not the best idea to "fix" the dropouts.

post #569 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time out to layout the issues you are having. No doubt there are issues.

So on the Emotiva lounge they gave a note on downloading the firmware and uploading to the unit

2)
AFTER THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE IS PERFORMED WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU RESET ALL THE HDMI DEVICES YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO THE RMC-1.
TO DO THIS YOU MUST PHYSICALLY UNPLUG THE AC POWER ON THE RMC-1, YOUR TV, AND ANY OTHER HDMI DEVICES YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO YOUR RMC-1.
Everything must be unplugged AT THE SAME TIME for at least ten seconds.
It is NOT sufficient to simply place your devices in Standby, many devices cannot be turned fully off, and many devices cannot be rebooted without unplugging them.
It is not sufficient to unplug your devices one at a time.
You must unplug them all, so they are all unplugged at the same time, count to ten slowly, then plug them all back in.
This will ensure that all of your devices go through a full reboot.
(We DO NOT REQUIRE this but, if you have ANY problems, then you should do it.)

I basically just unplugged everything and plugged it back in a minute later. Who knows if it did anything (but worth a shot)

So I had similar issues with My oppo 103. I found that when I forced the video output to 4k and set the HDMI color space to YCbCr 4:4:4 I no longer had the video issue I had prior.

As for the audio on the OPPO I had it set to bitstreem. But in your case try LCPM

Curious if this takes away one issue
Whenever I load a new firmware I unplug all my source and display devices from hdmi and power connections. This forces a new EDID connection and why I have steps 2 and 8 in the FW Load Process listed above.

I also mentioned (granted in a long post), that I've had the Oppo and movie steamer output both Bitstream and LPCM. No impact to audio issues.
Quote:
I've also experienced the same audio issues after loading user settings in the RMC, custom video output on the Oppo, LPCM and bitstream with the Oppo, LPCM and bitstream with the Mede8der

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #570 of 1005 Old 04-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Why would anyone want to use bitstream on a 15ch processor?

In other words disabling Atmos/DTS:X is probably not the best idea to "fix" the dropouts.
The LPCM Option
If you set the Blu-ray Disc player to output audio as PCM, the player will perform the audio decoding of all Dolby/Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD Master Audio related soundtracks internally and send the decoded audio signal in uncompressed form to your home theater receiver. As a result, your home theater receiver will not have to perform any additional audio decoding before the audio is sent through the amplifier section and the speakers. With this option, the home theater receiver will display the term "PCM" or "LPCM" on its front panel display.

The Bitstream Option
If you select Bitstream as the HDMI audio output setting for your Blu-ray player, the player will bypass its own internal Dolby and DTS audio decoders and send the undecoded signal to your HDMI-connected home theater receiver. The home theater receiver will do all the audio decoding of the incoming signal. As a result, the receiver will display Dolby, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc...on its front panel display depending on which type of bitstream signal is being decoded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page