The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 860Likes

post #601 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
There are 2 types of height speakers: the kind mounted above you and upfiring modules. Since Heights & Tops are both mounted above you, how would Dirac treat them differently? Understood, which is why I was careful in my previous reply to credit Lonnie with the description, not you. As a licensee, he would get more accurate info from his Atmos software developers kit than from friends in high places.

I'm not saying you are wrong, as I am not a Dolby exec, or developer, but was just pointing out that the RMC has will have 3 ATMOS speaker types, not two. I have no clue why, but this was what was presented.

I was taking into account Lonnie's description of how the "DOLBY" up-firing will boost the higher frequencies in his description, and the difference in virtualization. The RMC will "maybe" support many ATMOS configs larger than 7.1.6. All have to be calibrated under DOLBY ATMOS guidelines in reference to speaker count and type. I am guessing. That is why I brought up DIRAC, but who knows at this point. I probably will look at how the higher end processors, like the Trinnov, do this.

You are absolutely correct in the last statement. Maybe he knows something that is an upcoming change, or maybe not.......

No worries. I was just trying to clarify myself and give info.

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 7071 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post
I'm not saying you are wrong, as I am not a Dolby exec, or developer, but was just pointing out that the RMC has will have 3 ATMOS speaker types, not two. I have no clue why, but this was what was presented.
Again, not crediting you with the info, just pointing out that Heights and Tops are different overhead locations, not different types of speakers. See diagram below. Moving a speaker to a different location and/or aiming it differently does not change the speaker itself.

Quote:
I was taking into account Lonnie's description of how the "DOLBY" up-firing will boost the higher frequencies in his description, and the difference in virtualization. The RMC will "maybe" support many ATMOS configs larger than 7.1.6. All have to be calibrated under DOLBY ATMOS guidelines in reference to speaker count and type. I am guessing. That is why I brought up DIRAC, but who knows at this point. I probably will look at how the higher end processors, like the Trinnov, do this.
Upfiring modules have a height virtualizing squiggle built into their frequency response (see below) and therefore have to be treated differently when it comes to room correction: i.e., if the room correction equalizes away the squiggle in an attempt to flatten the response, then there goes the height effect.

To prevent this from happening, Audyssey automatically inserts the squiggle into its target curve when equalizing upfiring modules. From what I remember, this has to be done manually for Trinnov and Dirac: the user can alter the target curve to include the squiggle OR the equalization can be stopped at a frequency below the squiggle.

Sanjay
post #603 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again, not crediting you with the info, just pointing out that Heights and Tops are different overhead locations, not different types of speakers. See diagram below. Moving a speaker to a different location and/or aiming it differently does not change the speaker itself.

Upfiring modules have a height virtualizing squiggle built into their frequency response (see below) and therefore have to be treated differently when it comes to room correction: i.e., if the room correction equalizes away the squiggle in an attempt to flatten the response, then there goes the height effect.

To prevent this from happening, Audyssey automatically inserts the squiggle into its target curve when equalizing upfiring modules. From what I remember, this has to be done manually for Trinnov and Dirac: the user can alter the target curve to include the squiggle OR the equalization can be stopped at a frequency below the squiggle.

GREAT post!

Where can I read about the new ATMOS height placements? Where is that diagram from?

Looks like I have my SVS Elevations set up wrong since they changed it.......See below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_225451358_iOS.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	693.9 KB
ID:	2550112   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_225523952_iOS.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	708.6 KB
ID:	2550114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_134925.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	853.8 KB
ID:	2550116  

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Where can I read about the new ATMOS height placements? Where is that diagram from?
The first diagram is from Denon/Marantz instruction manuals. The second diagram is from Dolby patent for their upfiring speakers. Speaker placement guides are at the Dolby website: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...s/index.html#1
Quote:
Looks like I have my SVS Elevations set up wrong since they changed it.......See below.
I don't see what's wrong with your height placement. Looks like you have enough separation to clearly hear left-vs-right and front-vs-back movement overhead.

Sanjay
post #605 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The first diagram is from Denon/Marantz instruction manuals. The second diagram is from Dolby patent for their upfiring speakers. Speaker placement guides are at the Dolby website: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...s/index.html#1 I don't see what's wrong with your height placement. Looks like you have enough separation to clearly hear left-vs-right and front-vs-back movement overhead.

Thanks for the info. Last time I checked DOLBY's page, they didn't have all that extra info. I will be doing some extra reading.

I'm wondering if I should label my SVS as "TOPS" in the RMC. They are over me, but slanted and pointing at my seating as in "HEIGHT"....... If DOLBY recommends my SVS as "HEIGHT" on the front and rear wall ,and call them as "HEIGHT", that placement was NOT on the DOLBY website before.....That is why I'm a bit confused.

post #606 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Upon inspecting that diagram, I remember I set my speakers roughly at a 45 degree angle to my seating position, as in the DOLBY whitepapers. Therefore I conclude I shouldn't have to set the SVS Elevations as "TOPS" in the RMC, and where I have them, are valid "HEIGHTS" location. When I move, I will probably mount them on the wall as in the diagram above. Back on the RMC, I see that the RMC will treat the speakers differently based on the label, but who knows........

post #607 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if I should label my SVS as "TOPS" in the RMC. They are over me, but slanted and pointing at my seating as in "HEIGHT"....... If DOLBY recommends my SVS as "HEIGHT" on the front and rear wall ,and call them as "HEIGHT", that placement was NOT on the DOLBY website before.....That is why I'm a bit confused.
The locations of your overhead speakers compared to the locations of your other speakers determines their designation. IF your overhead speakers were above your Fronts and Rears, then they would be at the Heights locations. But, since your overhead speakers are closer in, they are at the Top Front and Top Rear locations.

How your speakers are aimed has nothing to do with Atmos. Most speakers sound best on-axis (pointing towards you). This has been generally true since speakers existed. Common sense says to aim all speakers towards the listening area. Do you really need Dolby to tell you that?
deewan likes this.

Sanjay
post #608 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The locations of your overhead speakers compared to the locations of your other speakers determines their designation. IF your overhead speakers were above your Fronts and Rears, then they would be at the Heights locations. But, since your overhead speakers are closer in, they are at the Top Front and Top Rear locations.

How your speakers are aimed has nothing to do with Atmos. Most speakers sound best on-axis (pointing towards you). This has been generally true since speakers existed. Common sense says to aim all speakers towards the listening area. Do you really need Dolby to tell you that?
Hey, it's DOLBY'S tech, and guidelines. They recommend "HEIGHTS" over "TOPS" now. That was why I was thinking of moving my SVS Elevations to the DOLBY recommended speaker location on the wall in front, and back with their slants pointing towards me.

"TOP" speakers are not normally slanted towards the listener. Think about it. They are usually firing straight down, as in-ceilings usually/normally are. All these diagrams, and pictures show round speakers for "TOPS" as in ceiling look like.........

It is being said by EMOTIVA that the speakers will be treated differently by the ATMOS renderer. Otherwise, why have the distinction of "TOPS", and "HEIGHTS"? "HEIGHTS" DO have a 45 degree angle at the listening position. Tops usually fire straight down.

I do get that the speakers locations do dictate what they are though, but in my case, I'll guess that I either move my current speakers, and or, play with the settings of "TOP" and "HEIGHT" when they release the new firmware.

On top of that, seems you have a condescending tone towards me, and it is not appreciated.

Last edited by Geronimo.USMC; 04-07-2019 at 10:59 PM.
post #609 of 902 Old 04-07-2019, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5347 Post(s)
Liked: 4845
@Geronimo.USMC it is Emotiva that is light years behind most others in regards to Atmos. This heights vs tops is not new. That Denon/Marantz diagram is from 2014 I believe.

I think the problem here is that you are taking Lonnie's word as gospel. That is your prerogative. All we can do is point out the errors as the info is flawed. There is a Dolby Atmos thread in which much of this has been discussed, tested, and verified. Some also have access to Dolby's official guidelines.

There is a huge disconnect between Dan & Lonnie and their own engineering. It's a shame that you are getting caught up in the middle.

You may be conflating Dolby's requirement of Emotiva to support the heights designation as a requirement [or recommendation] of you, the user. Emotiva has a long history of passing the buck. Blaming delays on other vendors. It's sad.

Tops is still the preferred designation for you for x.x.4 (IMO). However, if you choose to add Top Middle for x.x.6 it might make sense to move the current tops to heights.
post #610 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@Geronimo.USMC it is Emotiva that is light years behind most others in regards to Atmos. This heights vs tops is not new. That Denon/Marantz diagram is from 2014 I believe.

I think the problem here is that you are taking Lonnie's word as gospel. That is your prerogative. All we can do is point out the errors as the info is flawed. There is a Dolby Atmos thread in which much of this has been discussed, tested, and verified. Some also have access to Dolby's official guidelines.

There is a huge disconnect between Dan & Lonnie and their own engineering. It's a shame that you are getting caught up in the middle.

You may be conflating Dolby's requirement of Emotiva to support the heights designation as a requirement [or recommendation] of you, the user. Emotiva has a long history of passing the buck. Blaming delays on other vendors. It's sad.

Tops is still the preferred designation for you for x.x.4 (IMO). However, if you choose to add Top Middle for x.x.6 it might make sense to move the current tops to heights.

I wasn't taking it as Gospel. I like to research an learn for myself, or from more knowledgeable people. Lonnie made it sound like it was a recent change. Thank you for the reply. I'll head on over to the ATMOS thread. I was an early adopter of ATMOS. I just want the best x.x.4 setup for now, even if I have to re do the speaker locations.

post #611 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Otherwise, why have the distinction of "TOPS", and "HEIGHTS"?
Location.
Quote:
"HEIGHTS" DO have a 45 degree angle at the listening position.
No. They're just speakers. Like all speakers, they should be aimed for best results.
Quote:
Tops usually fire straight down.
Why would you aim a speaker (any speaker) at an arbitrary spot on the floor?
LydMekk likes this.

Sanjay
post #612 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Location. No. They're just speakers. Like all speakers, they should be aimed for best results. Why would you aim a speaker (any speaker) at an arbitrary spot on the floor?

I actually thought all speakers are aimed, be that the entire speaker or the tweater opnly, towards the MLP, the supposed designated main listening position. My in ceiling speakers have a 30 degree angle built in and the tweeters are also adjustable to point in the directrion desired . Others go with tops that are not in-ceiling, but instead surface mounted, all are normally pointed at the MLP . Unfortunately , MLP is easy when there is one row of seats . I have two rows, well, three if I consider the overflow bar seating which is row three. I picked my MLP to be between the two main rows and everything is poointed towards that MLP. Ideally I would have side surrounds for all rows, until I get more channels , will have to pick the best options based on what my 15 channel X8500H can provide .

Now I have a guestion . I was going to go 9.2.6 with 6 in-ceiling speakers in the usual atmos locations, the two extra lower bed speakers would be wides which as I understand do not work with atmos. So, I'd have 9 lower bed and 6 overhead. Well, now I see many are going with front heights front and rear with only two overhead in-ceiling atmos . Is this the new preferred setup to be more acceptable for Auro 3D and DTS-X ? Should I add provisions for front and rear heights , front and rear height centers and VOG ( height center) ? There were some discussions on a mixture of speakers to have the best for any scenario for all formats , there doesn't seem to be any conclusion of which combination is considered best overall. That's the discussion I need to resolve at thsi point.

Anyway, right now I have a the X8500H ,thinking about future options of RMC1 or Trinnov . I'm trying to make the best decisions now for furture and I have an open theater build ongoing, will be running all speaker wiring this week . Suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #613 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Otherwise, why have the distinction of "TOPS", and "HEIGHTS"?
Location.
Quote:
"HEIGHTS" DO have a 45 degree angle at the listening position.
No. They're just speakers. Like all speakers, they should be aimed for best results.
Quote:
Tops usually fire straight down.
Why would you aim a speaker (any speaker) at an arbitrary spot on the floor?
Dolby has made a mess of ATMOS for the consumer implementation at home. Seems like the consumer electronics companies, like EMOTIVA are not making it any easier.

Also, if one wants to use DTSX along with ATMOS, it could get tricky too.

You probably misread, or I not explain myself clearly in my last posts...... I never said you were wrong. Either way, I do not want to derail this thread any further.

I'm in the constant process of researching. I've seen homes, and places, even theaters (I know theaters are different implementation) and diagrams where in ceiling ARE pointing straight down, and also radiating straight down. I guess maybe they are not installed properly.

I think that maybe you also misunderstood me, or I didn't explain myself clearly in regards to what I have at home, and what I have read, and seen.

Thanks to you, I will run my particular speakers as "TOPS" the RMC didn't even implement that type until recently. I guess that was a big part of the confusion as well.

As a quick question, since the RMC now has the proper ATMOS speaker selections now, what is the general consensus of "HEIGHTS", vs "TOPS"?

Lonnie says DOLBY recommends "HEIGHTS" now. I'm not going to just take his word for it. I see the RMC processes them differently. I am willing to move my speaker to recommended position to maximize my experience. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Geronimo.USMC; 04-08-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #614 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I actually thought all speakers are aimed, be that the entire speaker or the tweater opnly, towards the MLP, the supposed designated main listening position.
Exactly. Atmos didn't change the physics of sound reproduction, so everything you already know about getting the most out of your speakers still applies, whether the speaker is around you or above you (it's still just a speaker).
Quote:
I was going to go 9.2.6 with 6 in-ceiling speakers in the usual atmos locations, the two extra lower bed speakers would be wides which as I understand do not work with atmos.
The two extra speakers in the base layer (Wides) do work with Atmos (assuming the mix has content at those locations) but those speakers not work with the Atmos upmixer (DSU).
Quote:
Well, now I see many are going with front heights front and rear with only two overhead in-ceiling atmos . Is this the new preferred setup to be more acceptable for Auro 3D and DTS-X ?
ALL 3 immersive audio formats (Atmos, Auro, DTS:X) use the "Heights" label. So labeling the front and rear pair as Heights (irrespective of where they are located at the Heights or Tops locations) will allow those four speakers to be used with all formats. IF you're not concerned with Auro, then you can label those speakers based on where they are physically located (Heights location or Tops location). Atmos and DTS:X use the Tops label but Auro does not (speakers with that label will be silent when playing Auro).
roxiedog13 likes this.

Sanjay
post #615 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Dolby has made a mess of ATMOS for the consumer implementation at home. Seems like the consumer electronics companies, like EMOTIVA are not making it any easier. Also, if one wants to use DTSX along with ATMOS, it could get tricky too.
None of that should worry you. As I mentioned earlier, the pics of your system show your overhead speakers spread well apart, allowing for left-vs-right and front-vs-back separation above you. The angled baffle of the speakers will aim the sound towards the listening area rather than a random spot on the floor where no one is sitting. The placement of your other speakers shows that your set-up clearly separates sounds around you from sounds above you (base layer well separated from height layer). It doesn't get much better than that. So it doesn't matter if Atmos and DTS:X documentation appears to be messy, because that's not a problem for you since you've already got your speakers properly placed and aimed.
Quote:
As a quick question, since the RMC now has the proper ATMOS speaker selections now, what is the general consensus of "HEIGHTS", vs "TOPS"?
From your pics, your overhead speakers appear to be at the Top Front & Top Rear locations. IF they were at the very front and back of your room (which they're not), those would be at the Front Height & Rear Height locations.

Sanjay
post #616 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I was an early adopter of ATMOS. I just want the best x.x.4 setup for now, even if I have to re do the speaker locations.
What was your previous Atmos processor?

I believe Dolby left it up to the manufacturers regarding what speaker positions to support. Only a few don't or didn't allow all 5 ceiling positions (Front Heights, Top Fronts, Top Mids, Top Rear, Rear Heights): NAD, Arcam, and Theta at one point only had Tops. My NAD only allows for Tops but I expect heights to be added with dts:X. I think it is good if Dolby is truly requiring all 10 positions to be supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Trinnov View Post
Illustration of an Atmos 20.2.10 setup. This example is one of many possibilities for utilizing all 32 channels present in the Altitude. 18.4.10 18.6.8 16.6.10….

Here’s the Setup menu for Sources, identifying Atmos INPUT Channels 20.2.10 (See thumbnails for bigger images)

Optimizer Settings Showing X-Y Speaker Placement Locations - 20.2.10

Altitude Web-browser showing 3D plot - 20.2.10 (again, see thumbnails for larger images)

On the top left is a pull down menu with many initial setup starting points. In this example, I chose Trinnov 21.1.10, then modified this to my actual Atmos setup by removing and adding speakers. Red are heights, green are listening level, and brown two subs.

Here’s all the Atmos positions:

Of course, one can only add positions that represent the format, and can cross format- ie have Auro top front center and top (13.1).

If you have a particular layout you are considering, PM me for mock-up services re your intended layout, and we can simulate 3D content via media playback.

Cheers,

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 04-08-2019 at 11:11 AM.
post #617 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I was an early adopter of ATMOS. I just want the best x.x.4 setup for now, even if I have to re do the speaker locations.
What was your previous Atmos processor?

I believe Dolby left it up to the manufacturers regarding what speaker positions to support. Only a few don't or didn't allow all 5 ceiling positions (Front Heights, Top Fronts, Top Mids, Top Rear, Rear Heights): NAD, Arcam, and Theta at one point only had Tops. My NAD only allows for Tops but I expect heights to be added with dts:X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Trinnov View Post
Illustration of an Atmos 20.2.10 setup. This example is one of many possibilities for utilizing all 32 channels present in the Altitude. 18.4.10 18.6.8 16.6.10….

Here’s the Setup menu for Sources, identifying Atmos INPUT Channels 20.2.10 (See thumbnails for bigger images)

Optimizer Settings Showing X-Y Speaker Placement Locations - 20.2.10

Altitude Web-browser showing 3D plot - 20.2.10 (again, see thumbnails for larger images)

On the top left is a pull down menu with many initial setup starting points. In this example, I chose Trinnov 21.1.10, then modified this to my actual Atmos setup by removing and adding speakers. Red are heights, green are listening level, and brown two subs.

Here’s all the Atmos positions:

Of course, one can only add positions that represent the format, and can cross format- ie have Auro top front center and top (13.1).

If you have a particular layout you are considering, PM me for mock-up services re your intended layout, and we can simulate 3D content via media playback.

Cheers,
ATMOS wise, Marantz AV8801, then AV7702, then AV8802A,I believe.

post #618 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
All of these processors you listed supported what Emotiva just added.
sdurani and audiofan1 like this.
post #619 of 902 Old 04-08-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
All of these processors you listed supported what Emotiva just added.
Yes, but at the time, in the beginning, there wasn't a wealth of user experience for best practices. Fast forward to today, and we have companies like EMOTIVA making it harder. Luckily we have this forum.

post #620 of 902 Old 04-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I actually thought all speakers are aimed, be that the entire speaker or the tweater opnly, towards the MLP, the supposed designated main listening position. My in ceiling speakers have a 30 degree angle built in and the tweeters are also adjustable to point in the directrion desired . Others go with tops that are not in-ceiling, but instead surface mounted, all are normally pointed at the MLP . Unfortunately , MLP is easy when there is one row of seats . I have two rows, well, three if I consider the overflow bar seating which is row three. I picked my MLP to be between the two main rows and everything is poointed towards that MLP. Ideally I would have side surrounds for all rows, until I get more channels , will have to pick the best options based on what my 15 channel X8500H can provide .

Now I have a guestion . I was going to go 9.2.6 with 6 in-ceiling speakers in the usual atmos locations, the two extra lower bed speakers would be wides which as I understand do not work with atmos. So, I'd have 9 lower bed and 6 overhead. Well, now I see many are going with front heights front and rear with only two overhead in-ceiling atmos . Is this the new preferred setup to be more acceptable for Auro 3D and DTS-X ? Should I add provisions for front and rear heights , front and rear height centers and VOG ( height center) ? There were some discussions on a mixture of speakers to have the best for any scenario for all formats , there doesn't seem to be any conclusion of which combination is considered best overall. That's the discussion I need to resolve at thsi point.

Anyway, right now I have a the X8500H ,thinking about future options of RMC1 or Trinnov . I'm trying to make the best decisions now for furture and I have an open theater build ongoing, will be running all speaker wiring this week . Suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
I have a X8500H and am running what I call poor mans 9.2.8. The cool thing about the X8500H is that if you are using external amplification for some channels (in my case the entire base layer) you can re-assign the X8500's unused amplification output. In reality I am running 9.2.4 (in the discrete sense) but I have 8 ceiling speakers being amplified by the X8500H. So I split 4 ceiling speakers to top front and 4 ceiling speakers to top rear. Just some food for though before you take a plunge into much more expensive territory, I think you would be hard pressed to tell the differences if I had a Trinnov discretely running all 8 ceiling speakers.

To be fair, I have never heard a Trinnov set-up but I have heard Atmos in a movie theater and I don't see an appreciable benefit in the theater's implementations of ceiling speakers vs my in-home implementation.
mtbdudex likes this.

Last edited by Todeseng3l; 04-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #621 of 902 Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I want 15 TRUE DISCRETS CHANELS,THE 8500 AND 8805 HAVE ONLY 13 TRUE CHANELS ,that why I want or rmc-1 or rmc-2 or monolith htp-1.

now I running whit 7.4.4 and I want 9.2.6,I install 2 more atmos in ceilling and 2 more surround speakers for 15 chanels.

I buy rideway when I havenew processor running perfectly same my 8012 when I install,the new 8012 from 2018-19 is complet new model ,when I install NO PROBLEM ,is running now same prépro whit 9.4.4 whit émotiva power amplifier ,no problem look rmc-1 terrible ,many ,many problem ,the person buy this rmc-1 évery days talk problem there etc etc.

AND now I see in other place they all représenting émotiva is go to they axpona 2019 probably for representing new rmc-1 BUT IS NO WORK GOOD ,FOR ME IS BETTER STAY HOME AND TAKE YOUR TIME FOR FIX PERFECTLY THEY RMC-1.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #622 of 902 Old 04-13-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmo View Post
I want 15 TRUE DISCRETS CHANELS,THE 8500 AND 8805 HAVE ONLY 13 TRUE CHANELS ,that why I want or rmc-1 or rmc-2 or monolith htp-1.

now I running whit 7.4.4 and I want 9.2.6,I install 2 more atmos in ceilling and 2 more surround speakers for 15 chanels.

I buy rideway when I havenew processor running perfectly same my 8012 when I install,the new 8012 from 2018-19 is complet new model ,when I install NO PROBLEM ,is running now same prépro whit 9.4.4 whit émotiva power amplifier ,no problem look rmc-1 terrible ,many ,many problem ,the person buy this rmc-1 évery days talk problem there etc etc.

AND now I see in other place they all représenting émotiva is go to they axpona 2019 probably for representing new rmc-1 BUT IS NO WORK GOOD ,FOR ME IS BETTER STAY HOME AND TAKE YOUR TIME FOR FIX PERFECTLY THEY RMC-1.
FYI

RMC-2 is being re-labeled RMC-1L

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #623 of 902 Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I have been waiting for a while for the RMC - 1 and I’m will be starting my atmos and 4K journey next month. I was at axpona today and I herd the RMC -1 and watched the JVC .... VERY NICE demo. Based on the feedback on the forum I should move on and maybe grab this Marantz 8805 that I’ve been pushing off but I think it’s time. If you believe in the RMC -1 can you let me know now? I’m making a decision in the next 3 weeks on the processor. If you don’t feel comfortable send me a private message
llang269 likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #624 of 902 Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
I have been waiting for a while for the RMC - 1 and I’m will be starting my atmos and 4K journey next month. I was at axpona today and I herd the RMC -1 and watched the JVC .... VERY NICE demo. Based on the feedback on the forum I should move on and maybe grab this Marantz 8805 that I’ve been pushing off but I think it’s time. If you believe in the RMC -1 can you let me know now? I’m making a decision in the next 3 weeks on the processor. If you don’t feel comfortable send me a private message
I would at least wait for the newest firmware update and see what the feedback is. This is supposed to happen this next week, so it should fit your timeline. The update may end up addressing the major issues that folks have had, according to Emotiva (which you can read about a little earlier in the thread—the info about the update was copied from the Emotiva website and posted in this thread within the last week I believe).
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Last edited by HTNUT1975; 04-14-2019 at 05:14 AM.
post #625 of 902 Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked: 4027
Quote:
Don't support a company that defrauds their customers. They are knowingly taking your money and giving you a half-baked product and charging you full price. The reason Emotiva gets away with these shenanigans is because people support them and buy broken or partially functioning products. Don't reward bad behavior. If/when its fixed, purchase it otherwise spend your money elsewhere.
spyboy, Geronimo.USMC and llang269 like this.
post #626 of 902 Old 04-14-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wait it out. They are scheduled to release 2 firmwares within the next 2-3 weeks, addressing major problems. So far, my experience has been that the firmware HAS been getting way better with each release. Almost solid right now.

I was one of the 1st owners. They botched the launch completely............It so far, sounds Superb.........when it works correctly.......

What is a few more weeks of waiting going to hurt?

Last edited by Geronimo.USMC; 04-15-2019 at 07:57 PM.
post #627 of 902 Old 04-14-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked: 4027
Quote:
Wait it out. They are scheduled to release 2 firmwares within the next 2-3 weeks, addressing major problems. So far, my experience has been that the firmware HAS been getting way better each one. Almost solid right now.

I was one of the 1st owners. They botched the launch completely............It so far sounds Superb.........when it works correctly.......

What is a few more weeks of waiting going to hurt?
I will own one if/when these issues get resolved but not a moment sooner. Emotiva should have given you guys a 50% discount as beta owners. This would give them cash flow which is critical for a small business (I get it), while providing a tangible benefit for those dealing with the bugs and loss of features and functionality.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 04-14-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #628 of 902 Old 04-14-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
I saw that demo. First off, that projector was awesome.

I would hold off on the RMC-1 and get a used or older model 7.1.4 AVR from one of the big names. Wait and see how the RMC-1 and the Monoprice unit shake out then upgrade. I'm using my Denon X4300 waiting it out and they are only $650 new right now. I have 2 speakers that have never been hooked up as I wait for a truly good 9.1.6 unit in this price range to come out. In the meantime I'm enjoying 7.1.4 UHD movies.
llang269 likes this.
post #629 of 902 Old 04-15-2019, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
its not acceptable,in canada you pay 6,700 can ,I cant believe and 5000 us is to mutch ,I have 4 power amplifiers émotiva and never have problem and running perfectly ,that why I like to buy they rmc-1 for complete my room but for now forget it.

whit this price you need work perfectly,no bug nothing same my marantz when I buy in december 2018 ,I INSTALL AND WOW WORK PERFECTLY,NO BUG NOTHING ,NOT FIRMWARE AFTER BUT i NEED NOW 15 TRUE CHANELS .

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #630 of 902 Old 04-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmo View Post
its not acceptable,in canada you pay 6,700 can ,I cant believe and 5000 us is to mutch ,I have 4 power amplifiers émotiva and never have problem and running perfectly ,that why I like to buy they rmc-1 for complete my room but for now forget it.

whit this price you need work perfectly,no bug nothing same my marantz when I buy in december 2018 ,I INSTALL AND WOW WORK PERFECTLY,NO BUG NOTHING ,NOT FIRMWARE AFTER BUT i NEED NOW 15 TRUE CHANELS .
I don't mean to be rude. But I think we've heard you zimmo. You have said pretty much the same thing in all of you 6-7comments on this thread. I think it's clear you want a rmc-1 that works.

-Matt
noah katz, Kishore, gsr and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page