The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 859Likes

post #631 of 901 Old 04-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Thanks everyone who took the time out to answer my questions here and on private messages . I still have about three weeks so I can be a little patient and see if the firmware update fixes these things. Short of the miracle I’m ready to build my atmos now and I can’t go wrong with the Marantz. If at a later date and every thing works and the pre pro lives up to hype then maybe I’ll take another look. I’m going to go 7.2.4 so I’ll be adding another amp and four more speakers.

Once again thanks
HTNUT1975 likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 901 Old 04-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I just saw on the Emotiva Lounge RMC1 thread the latest firmware update is available, not sure how to post it here sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HTNUT1975 likes this.
post #633 of 901 Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
I just saw on the Emotiva Lounge RMC1 thread the latest firmware update is available, not sure how to post it here sorry

Hopefully this works. The dropbox site is blocked by my work's firewall so I can't confirm this link works.

www.dropbox.com/s/5phurypzsjukw43/EmotivaUpdate-1_3_2019_04_16.dat?dl=0
RetiredandLovingIt likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 901 Old 04-19-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 181
The RMC-1 has come a long way via firmware.

Things are looking solid with firmware 1.3. Just a few more improvements, and DIRAC 2.0 implementation left.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...-firmware-2019

LATEST RELEASE RMC-1 FIRMWARE - as of 4/19/2019 - v1.3
This firmware version is a HIGH PRIORITY UPDATE.
This update fixes several known issues, so we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you install this update if you are running a previous firmware version.

This link will get you the latest version of the RMC-1 firmware as of 4/19/2019 (v1.3) :

The download is a DAT file.

Place it in the main folder of a USB stick formatted FAT32.
(Make sure there are no other firmware update files in the main folder!)

www.dropbox.com/s/5phurypzsjukw43/EmotivaUpdate-1_3_2019_04_16.dat?dl=0

RELEASE NOTES:

This update fixes MOST of the issues we are currently aware of.

IMPORTANT UPDATE !!

We have become aware that many of the problems people have been experiencing are due to compatibility issues between modern HDMI 2.0 devices and older HDMI 1.4b devices.
(Even though HDMI 2.0 is claimed to be backwards compatible with older devices - some people experience issues when connecting certain older devices to HDMI 2.0 inputs on the RMC-1 and other devices.)

IN THIS FIRMWARE RELEASE WE HAVE ADDED THE OPTION TO CONFIGURE EACH INPUT ON THE RMC-1 FOR MAXIMUM COMPATIBILITY WITH EITHER HDMI 2.0 OR HDMI 1.4 DEVICES.
This option is configured SEPARATELY FOR EACH INPUT.
To set this option go to MENU | SETUP | INPUTS | [input name] | HDMI TYPE and set it to either HDMI TYPE: 2.0 or HDMI TYPE 1.4 .

- Any inputs on the RMC-1 that are to be used with 4k devices, or HD devices that specify HDMI 2.0 compatibility, should be configured as "HDMI Type 2.0" - which is the default.
- If you have any unusual issues with non-4k devices (either legacy 1080p devices, or older pre-HD devices like DVD players), you should try configuring the input on the RMC-1 you use with them as "HDMI Type 1.4" .
- REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU CONFIGURE THE INPUTS ON YOUR RMC-1, IF YOU HAVE A 4k TV OR PROJECTOR, YOUR RMC-1 SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO AN INPUT ON YOUR TV OR PROJECTOR THAT SUPPORTS HDMI 2.0 .
- If you move source devices to a different input on your RMC-1 make sure the input you use is configured correctly for the device you connect to it.

Notes:
- Inputs on the RMC-1 that you configure as HDMI 1.4 will probably no longer work with 4k sources (so remember to set them back if you move your inputs around).

- Many non-4k devices will work properly with inputs on the RMC-1 set to the default HDMI 2.0 - but some will not.

UPDATE NOTES:

1)
The download will arrive in the form of a DAT file, which is the actual firmware update file.
There is no need to extract this file.
To install this update simply place the update file in the main folder of a USB stick and do a SETUP | ADVANCED | FIRMWARE UPDATE.
You should also ensure that this is the ONLY FILE in the main folder of your USB stick.
(If you wish to archive other versions of the RMC-1 firmware on your USB stick - BE SURE TO PUT THEM IN A SUB FOLDER.)

2)
AFTER THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE IS PERFORMED WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU RESET ALL THE HDMI DEVICES YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO THE RMC-1.
TO DO THIS YOU MUST PHYSICALLY UNPLUG THE AC POWER ON THE RMC-1, YOUR TV, AND ANY OTHER HDMI DEVICES YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO YOUR RMC-1.
Everything must be unplugged AT THE SAME TIME for at least ten seconds.
It is NOT sufficient to simply place your devices in Standby, many devices cannot be turned fully off, and many devices cannot be rebooted without unplugging them.
It is not sufficient to unplug your devices one at a time.
You must unplug them all, so they are all unplugged at the same time, count to ten slowly, then plug them all back in.
This will ensure that all of your devices go through a full reboot.
(We DO NOT REQUIRE this but, if you have ANY problems, then you should do it.)

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)

Last edited by Geronimo.USMC; 04-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #635 of 901 Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Time will tell if the two updates that Emo's releasing will solve most (and I mean most) the RMC-1's significant "teething problems". Hope they appease the folks with the torches & pitchforks that are pounding on the castle door demanding their refunds (HE, HE)......

Emo sure found out the hard way that building a modern day A/V processor (I mean computer) at that price point with that kind feature set is no easy feat. It simply wasn't ready for prime time. They rushed/ botched the roll out, mishandled the PR damage control and still had the balls to show up at AXPONA 2019 running the RMC-1/Atmos demo with smiles on their faces. I wouldn't want to be the ones to have to explain away the RMC-1's ongoing issues while still encouraging folks to still buy it. Monoprice and ATI are on their heels.

They're just a boutique manufacturer with limited R&D resources that's trying to "run with the big dogs" that have much deeper pockets and a slew a design engineering folks to back them up. Don't envy them. Better hope that they get it fixed fast. They haven't learned how to under promise and over deliver.
post #636 of 901 Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 PM

Sure hope these firmware updates fix the faulty RMC-1 by about 90-95% though I doubt that it will solve everyone's issues. I'm sure some user will encounter something else down the road. Emo better be prompt in addressing them. Monoprice & ATI will sure be trying their best to take over more of their market share.
post #637 of 901 Old 04-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My RMC-1 is arriving tomorrow. I'm not sure if the new firmware update will already be on it, but I would guess not. But I am certainly hoping it will be trouble free, or my excitement may fade fast. I met Dan at Expona, and he was great to talk to. I love his enthusiasm for this product, and liked what he said about how it will be upgradable in the future as technology changes. That's why I decided to invest in him on this purchase earlier than I had planed. Now my 15 3/4 year old son's future car will just have to be a Yugo. I will enjoy his sacrifice.
chirpie and madhuski like this.
post #638 of 901 Old 04-20-2019, 03:24 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 2286
Deewan,

Does the unit have any dropouts with DTS/Atrmos anymore?
Does the unit play a loud static noise before locking on to a bitstream signal anymore?

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #639 of 901 Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Deewan,

Does the unit have any dropouts with DTS/Atrmos anymore?
Does the unit play a loud static noise before locking on to a bitstream signal anymore?
I loaded the FW using Lonnie's standards, then loaded my user settings, and then set individual inputs for the correct hdmi standard (1.4 or 2.0). Here are the issues I'm still encounter....

• Subwoofer output is still lost when exiting out of the Speaker Preset menu.
  • System seems more sluggish than before. When navigating through the menus the OSD often uses red background shading instead of gray. Video example below
  • The On Screen Display sometimes disappears from the screen but continues to display on the OLED screens. This sometimes gets confusing as the "Please Wait" message Emotiva now has on the RMC while it's processing your input change or IR command may appears one place, but not both. So you don't really know if you can send another command without it running in a buffering issue.
  • When navigating menus, the RMC often forces my JVC to re-sync the hdmi. This creates quite the delay sometimes. I timed the processes of switching inputs and going back to resync the hdmi if you lose audio or video, it takes about 60-70 seconds.
  • While watching Cable TV, the first four channel changes were fine, then I lost audio. Next 3-4 channels changes were fine, then I lost audio again. I'd guess about 15-20% of the time I lost audio while changing channels. A quick channel change normally resets the audio. I've also noticed IF the audio is dropped, it's when switching from a 5.1 format to a 2.0 that may be used on old shows or a commercial.
  • The RMC continues to have different reactions to commands sent by IR vs the front panel. I've reported this issues for several months and no idea what may be causing it.
  • I can't confirm this was the RMC's fault, but I was having problems with my AppleTV and Cable box which both connect to my home network using a 4 port switch inside my AV rack. I also had the RMC connected to that switch. My Apple TV and Cable box kept having trouble accessing my network. I tried to reset and power cycle. No luck. This problem was happening for days until I unplugged the RMC from the network. I power cycled the devices once and now they have been flawless connecting to the network. I can't say it was the RMC, but evidence points to it. So I would recommend NOT connecting it to a network at this time.
  • After loading my user settings, I found that I lost my middle top speakers. I had to set that up within my speaker presets again. However, as soon as I turned that output back on, my setting for that speaker output were loaded. Small issue, but one I've reported to Emotiva.
  • I also lost audio when using my Mede8er movie streamer. I was watching my second TV episode and skipped forward a track and lost audio. Skipping back a chapter did not restore audio. I had to pause and then play again to restore audio.

That is my list of issues that I see remaining on this unit. I can say though that I've watched numerous DTS, DTS MA-HD, Dolby Lossless and Dolby Atmos movies and I have not experienced an audio dropout on any of them. So to answer your questions (sorry for the long winded response) it appears the audio dropout issue is resolved.

There are still some issues with the DSD audio files. Nothing as bad as it used to be, but still an unresolved issue. Also, sometimes the RMC seems pretty sold after a new firmware, but after a week of use begins showing more issues. So time will tell. But honestly, this is the stage I thought the RMC would be when it was released last year. A few bugs, but overall fairly stable. Took a long time to get to this point, but we hopefully are there!
LCSeminole, SOWK, jnation and 3 others like this.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #640 of 901 Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Flyer View Post
My RMC-1 is arriving tomorrow. I'm not sure if the new firmware update will already be on it, but I would guess not. But I am certainly hoping it will be trouble free, or my excitement may fade fast. I met Dan at Expona, and he was great to talk to. I love his enthusiasm for this product, and liked what he said about how it will be upgradable in the future as technology changes. That's why I decided to invest in him on this purchase earlier than I had planed. Now my 15 3/4 year old son's future car will just have to be a Yugo. I will enjoy his sacrifice.
A word of caution here.................

Dan promised the very same thing to his customers about the XMC-1's platform. They explicitly marketed the XMC-1 using that same promise. Be wary of folks making promises...............

The XMC-1 was on the edge of obsolescence when it was rolled out after years of delay. First, it was Cirrus to MDS/TI chips then, Trinnov over to Dirac processing. Next, the XMC-1 had issues to resolve after roll out, Now, going to over to their latest HDMI 2.0 board plus adding Atmos/ DTS-X proved to be too problematic for Emo to tackle through the former platform. They had to come up with the upgrade path to the XMC-2 for the current XMC-1 owners using the new platform after the uproar from the XMC-1 owners made because of that same promise of upgrade ability. From a PR and marketing standpoint, they kinda had no choice. Those were the same customers that stuck with them through the XMC-1's platform's problems. Sales of the XMC-1 also helped fund the RMC-1's R & D. IMO, they didn't want to alienate and lose a segment of their customer base so they had to make good. Meanwhile, the competition has already moved on the latest technology. Those same customers now have other options available to them from the competition and Emo has no choice but to keep up..

Upgrade ability can be a costly endeavor in the processor market if you don't have the technical prowess and the funding to pull it off. AFAIK, the only company that has successfully pulled off the upgrade ability model with their platform to some extent is Theta Digital with it's Casablanca processor (circa 1996). Denon tried but it's AV-P1 but came also to the end of it's life cycle because of its technical limitations. Of course, you will have to pay a whole lot more for the Casablanca than the Emo. You either stay current through innovation or get out of that segment because you can't keep up and you lose your market share. We will see if the RMC-1 platform has any longevity.
duckymomo likes this.
post #641 of 901 Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwuaregFS View Post
A word of caution here.................

Upgrade ability can be a costly endeavor in the processor market if you don't have the technical prowess and the funding to pull it off. AFAIK, the only company that has successfully pulled off the upgrade ability model with their platform to some extent is Theta Digital with it's Casablanca processor (circa 1996). Denon tried but it's AV-P1 but came also to the end of it's life cycle because of its technical limitations. Of course, you will have to pay a whole lot more for the Casablanca than the Emo. You either stay current through innovation or get out of that segment because you can't keep up and you lose your market share. We will see if the RMC-1 platform has any longevity.
While I agree with the bulk of your post, I don't recall Denon ever making any claims of the AVP-A1HDCI being future proof. They did put out a hardware upgrade that added 3D video support and upgraded Audyssey, but they never made any promises of anything else and that upgrade came as a bit of a surprise as there had not really been any expectation that it would happen. The platform reached end of life as soon as one needed 4K and/or support for more channels (Atmos / DTS:X).

With Theta, the upgrades have typically consisted of shipping the whole unit back to have the bulk of the contents replaced, other than the chassis and power supply. It's nice that they can re-use some of the hardware, but the upgrades are expensive and don't just replace a modular card or 2.
post #642 of 901 Old 04-20-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 4835
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwuaregFS View Post

Upgrade ability can be a costly endeavor in the processor market if you don't have the technical prowess and the funding to pull it off. AFAIK, the only company that has successfully pulled off the upgrade ability model with their platform to some extent is Theta Digital with it's Casablanca processor (circa 1996). Denon tried but it's AV-P1 but came also to the end of it's life cycle because of its technical limitations. Of course, you will have to pay a whole lot more for the Casablanca than the Emo. You either stay current through innovation or get out of that segment because you can't keep up and you lose your market share.
NAD T-series and M(Masters)-series (M15HD, M15HD2, M17).

I have a M15HD that has been upgraded to 7.1.4, Dirac, and HDMI 2.0b (Bluesound is an optional upgrade I have not yet added).
post #643 of 901 Old 04-20-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 181
FIRMWARE 1.3

So far, very stable. Very happy with it. Will test further.

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)

Last edited by Geronimo.USMC; 04-20-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #644 of 901 Old 04-20-2019, 07:34 PM

It arrived later in the day than I hoped. I haven't been able to work on it much yet but there were a couple of points of concern. I couldn't easily figure out what firmware came on it, so I am going to download the latest to make sure. I will see if that takes care of my points of concern. Seems like it may based on some posts.
post #645 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@SOWK

A quick update to my post yesterday about audio drops. Last night while watching a show with a Dolby 7.1 Lossless soundtrack I experienced my first audio loss with FW 1.3 at the ~43 minute timestamp. I can't tell for certain if the Dolby audio dropouts are now every 40-something minutes or if they are still at the 20 minute mark I've experienced in the past since the 'timer' seems to restart anytime you pause, skip to a new chapter or rewind. I had paused the show a few times so I'm uncertain when the timer started, but the audio did drop out at ~43 minutes.

Also, I had trouble getting video to lock onto my movie streamer and had to switch inputs to get video to work.

Dolby still seems to need some work and this may be further proof a new FW works well at first, but then things start to go sideways.

Old Woods Remodel
post #646 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Dolby still seems to need some work and this may be further proof a new FW works well at first, but then things start to go sideways.
Dolby? Did you mean Emotiva?
post #647 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Dolby? Did you mean Emotiva?

No. I meant Dolby. The Dolby decoding still needs some work on the RMC. The DTS formats seems fine now. About two months ago DTS was a big mess and Dolby was more reliable.

Old Woods Remodel

Last edited by deewan; 04-21-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #648 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No. I meant Dolby. The Dolby deciding still needs some work on the RMC. The DTS formats seems fine now. About two months ago DTS was a big mess and Dolby was more reliable.

Emotiva is responsible for this, not Dolby. Emotiva owns the 16ch decoding for this chipset.
post #649 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 11:45 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Emotiva is responsible for this, not Dolby. Emotiva owns the 16ch decoding for this chipset.
He’s not saying that Dolby needs to do the work. He’s saying that Emotiva still has work to do in their support of Dolby formats...
post #650 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
He’s not saying that Dolby needs to do the work. He’s saying that Emotiva still has work to do in their support of Dolby formats...
Bingo!

Old Woods Remodel
post #651 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A few more observations from my RMC and some movie watching this weekend....

While watching a movie with a DTS 7.1 MA soundtrack... I'm not sure if it's the .mkv file or the RMC, but I hear what is best described as a static sound from my overhead speakers when unmixed to DTS:X. I'm guessing perhaps the overhead channels that are getting an unmixed signal might be getting some static from a decoder issue. Not sure, but I wanted to point out that I've heard it on a few DTS MA movies now. I'll try to double check the disc has the same issue as the mkv file.

Old Woods Remodel

Last edited by deewan; 04-22-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #652 of 901 Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
A few more observations from my RMC and some movie watching this weekend....

My understanding is that a DTS 7.1 MA soundtrack should by upmixed through a complete 9.1.6 setup if DTS:X is used for the decoder (Dolby does not do this with Atmos, but I believe DTS:X should). I just watched an entire DTS 7.1 movie and I confirmed I heard nothing through my middle overhead speakers. I did hear audio from my front and rear overhead speakers. The speakers that were not active were the same same pair of speakers that were not set to "on" when loading my user settings. I've confirmed I do have them turned on, but I heard nothing.

Another thing I'm not sure if it's the .mkv file or the RMC, but I hear what is best described as a static sound from my overhead speakers when unmixed to DTS:X. I'm guessing perhaps the overhead channels that are getting an unmixed signal might be getting some static from a decoder issue.... Not sure, but I wanted to point out that I've heard it on a few DTS MA movies now. I'll try to double check the disc has the same issue as the mkv file.
Neural X currently has an 11.1 speaker limit, so 7.1.4 is the max you'll get until DTS-X Pro is implemented on a Processor.

Dolby Surround doesn't have this limit in theroy but the upmixer won't use certain speaker positions like Wides and Centre Back Surround.

What Neural X will do is upmix a DTS-X track to extra speakers like wides if you have a 5.1.4 + wides configuration.

Dolby Surround will not upmix a Doubly Atmos track if you are playing it back as Dolby Atmos. Beyond the base layer it will only use the speakers that objects are rendered to use if available.
deewan likes this.

Last edited by Apgood; 04-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.
post #653 of 901 Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Neural X currently has an 11.1 speaker limit, so 7.1.4 is the max you'll get until DTS-X Pro is implemented on a Processor.

Dolby Surround doesn't have this limit in theroy but the upmixer won't use certain speaker positions like Wides and Centre Back Surround.

What Neural X will do is upmix a DTS-X track to extra speakers like wides if you have a 5.1.4 + wides configuration.

Dolby Surround will not upmix a Doubly Atmos track if you are playing it back as Dolby Atmos. Beyond the base layer it will only use the speakers that objects are rendered to use if available.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew how Dolby did their upmixing but couldn't remember exactly what (if any) DTS:X had. I will edit my quote above to avoid confusion.

Old Woods Remodel
post #654 of 901 Old 04-23-2019, 08:48 PM

I am still tinkering with the setup. I don't have any Dolby Atmos movies to play for testing. The manual shows what channels to use for 5.1 and 7.1, but it doesn't indicate how I can set up for 7.1.6. it shows what to use for front and rear heights, but not center heights for the .6 in a 7.1.6 configuration. I don't have a setup that can utilize wide speakers. Anybody know a way to change the wide to center heights? I know the Marantz 8805 has this capability, I would hope the RMC-1 would also.
post #655 of 901 Old 04-24-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am still tinkering with the setup. I don't have any Dolby Atmos movies to play for testing. The manual shows what channels to use for 5.1 and 7.1, but it doesn't indicate how I can set up for 7.1.6. it shows what to use for front and rear heights, but not center heights for the .6 in a 7.1.6 configuration. I don't have a setup that can utilize wide speakers. Anybody know a way to change the wide to center heights? I know the Marantz 8805 has this capability, I would hope the RMC-1 would also.
I can help with this. You will use Subwoofer left and right for your middle overhead speakers. Subwoofer left output for for middle left overhead, and subwoofer right for middle right overhead. After making this connections go into the menu on the RMC. Choose whichever speakers preset you have setup for surround sound and choose the Subwoofer L/R (or whatever it's called) in the menu. After you arrow the right you can see how you can assign those channels to be a sub output or an overhead output. Choose overhead, size of speaker and if choosing small, your crossover cutoff.

At this time the wide channels cannot be reassigned. I'm hoping at some point they could every me reassigned as a second set of side surrounds or something for people who don't have wide channels installed.

That is all from memory so please forgive it it's not 100% correct.

Old Woods Remodel

Last edited by deewan; 04-24-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #656 of 901 Old 04-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 2286
Sub woofer connection and setup questions:

What is the difference between(Mono) and (Dual Mono)?

Also

Here will be my setup when and if I ever install the RMC-1

Left Sub out = Sub 1
Center sub out = Crowson Transducers
Right sub out = Sub 2

I've noticed only the center sub out has an "LFE" mode along with Mono, where the Left and Right sub channel outputs only have Mono/Dual mono?

Is this going to be an issue? Will I not get the LFE channel on the Left and Right sub channel outputs?
Mike_WI likes this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #657 of 901 Old 04-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the info, so then I guess I can forget about getting a second sub for my system.

Dan suggested I get a second sub saying I would benefit greatly. I would only hope he will see that there needs to be more configurability with the speakers since I would think most wouldn't use wide, but a lot would use a second sub.
post #658 of 901 Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Since we are talking subs at the moment if I were to eventually purchase an RMC-1 how would I go about connect my subs? I have 3 18" subs up front (one each under the L/C/R speakers) and 2 pair of 15" subs (4 total subs) in the rear wall columns of the theater.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #659 of 901 Old 04-24-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, so then I guess I can forget about getting a second sub for my system.

Dan suggested I get a second sub saying I would benefit greatly. I would only hope he will see that there needs to be more configurability with the speakers since I would think most wouldn't use wide, but a lot would use a second sub.
If/When the expansion modules are releases you should be able to easily add one module and have the ability to use the additional 4 channels for either subs or overhead speakers. I'm not exactly sure how the modules and channels will work yet, but I think when the modules will be released the firmware may also allow some current outputs to be assigned to other speaker locations.

Old Woods Remodel
post #660 of 901 Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Since we are talking subs at the moment if I were to eventually purchase an RMC-1 how would I go about connect my subs? I have 3 18" subs up front (one each under the L/C/R speakers) and 2 pair of 15" subs (4 total subs) in the rear wall columns of the theater.
Until the expansion modules are released or the RMC gets a Room Correction System, I would suggest hooking up the front three subs to left subwoofer output and the rear subs to the right sub output. If you have DSP amps on the subs this will help tune the room, but not required. This would limit you a bit until Dirac is loaded on the RMC to help tune, but that setup would allow you to control similar subs with a single channel output.

That's my opinion. I'm sure others may have other suggestions that could be better.
Mike_WI and brazensol like this.

Old Woods Remodel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors