The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1059Likes

post #931 of 1101 Old 08-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 1455
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
HDMI 2.1, when it arrives, if it works, etc., will (should) allow four 6MShps channels for video on today's Premium HDMI cables. This takes the raw data rate to 24MSh/s vs. 18MSh/s today. With the more the efficient encoding used with HDMI 2.1 the effective data rate will increase this by another 10% or so. Display Stream Compression (DSC) may allow another 3x in effective "visual" throughput. Potentially this takes the delivered visual performance to the area of 70+MSh/s. This is 24MSh/s plus compression. If HDMI 2.1 really is able to work in this manner, it may allow delivery of much high resolutions to more remote devices such as projectors.

HDMI 2.1 cable runs will have to be very short, say a meter or two. If HDMI 2.1 can't be used as described in the previous paragraph then access to very high digital video data rates will require equipment to be located close to the display device or additional auxiliary transfer methods, such as are used today with HDMI 2.0 will have to be developed. This is a non-trivial exercise at the higher HDMI 2.1 raw data rates (up to 48MSh/s).
Many (if not most) of the current cables 2.0b copper and hybrid cables support eARC.

Ruipro has announced an HDMI 2.1 hybrid fiber cable that supports 48 gbps.

There is a thread that will be testing HDMI 2.1 cables:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...i-2-1-a-2.html

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1101 Old 08-25-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Many (if not most) of the current cables 2.0b copper and hybrid cables support eARC.

Ruipro has announced an HDMI 2.1 hybrid fiber cable that supports 48 gbps.

There is a thread that will be testing HDMI 2.1 cables:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...i-2-1-a-2.html

- Rich

Here are the specific details of copper cable support for eARC:

Q: What cable(s) do I need to make use of the eARC feature?
A: Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables are designed to support the new eARC feature in addition to the highest resolution video modes. The Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet and the High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet will also support eARC.

From this website:

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

It will be really nice if a full-speed HDMI 2.1 fiber solution is available. It's going to be interesting to see how HDMI 2.1 progresses.
post #933 of 1101 Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Here are the specific details of copper cable support for eARC:

Q: What cable(s) do I need to make use of the eARC feature?
A: Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables are designed to support the new eARC feature in addition to the highest resolution video modes. The Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet and the High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet will also support eARC.

From this website:

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

It will be really nice if a full-speed HDMI 2.1 fiber solution is available. It's going to be interesting to see how HDMI 2.1 progresses.
I use a 18' Ruipro fiber cable from the XMC-1 V3 to the C9. The C9 HDMI 2.1 chipset is much faster a negotiation than the C7 I had before, although still a few seconds.
HDMI HDCP is a nightmare for consumers while not providing serious copy protection. Everything can be ripped.
It excels at forced obsolescence to insure hardware churn.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1101 Old 08-25-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I use a 18' Ruipro fiber cable from the XMC-1 V3 to the C9. The C9 HDMI 2.1 chipset is much faster a negotiation than the C7 I had before, although still a few seconds.
HDMI HDCP is a nightmare for consumers while not providing serious copy protection. Everything can be ripped.
It excels at forced obsolescence to insure hardware churn.

- Rich

Very worthwhile information on the C9. I almost wish you hadn't raised it. I don't want to buy a TV this year!

Agreed!
post #935 of 1101 Old 08-29-2019, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Dolby recently withdrew upmixing restrictions built in to the rmc. Will they be able to reverse this on the rmc??

Link to dolby article
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dolby-widthdraws-from-restricting-non-native-upmixing-a-win-for-consumers
giomania and warwwolf7 like this.
post #936 of 1101 Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaplewild View Post
Dolby recently withdrew upmixing restrictions built in to the rmc. Will they be able to reverse this on the rmc??

Link to dolby article
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...-for-consumers
Its been discussed, they’re looking at it, but no word yet. I’d like to see it fixed, but not a high priority.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #937 of 1101 Old 08-29-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just curious is emotiva not showing at Cedia this year? I can't find them on the map.

JVC RS3000 : Panamorph DCR Lens : Screen Innovations 125" Slate 1.2 2.40.1
Anthem MRX 1120 : Kaleidescape Strato :Kaleidescape 24TB Server :Apple TV 4K
Oppo 203 : Xbox One X
Paradigm 95f , 55c, Paradigm Elite in wall surround and atmos speakers
SVS sb16 ultra x 3 : Emotiva XPA 3 DR 3 for LCR : Current Setup 7.3.4 Atmos : Savant Pro
post #938 of 1101 Old 08-29-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post
Just curious is emotiva not showing at Cedia this year? I can't find them on the map.
They're still riding off the high from winning an AVS Forum award for the unreleased and still not fully functional RMC-1
Kishore, sdurani, LydMekk and 4 others like this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #939 of 1101 Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post

They’re primarily a D2C business. CEDIA is a show geared toward the custom installer market. They don’t generally exhibit every year.

They were there last year, because they had just announced a limited dealer program and had 3 new upcoming processors to show off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #940 of 1101 Old 08-29-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
They’re primarily a D2C business. CEDIA is a show geared toward the custom installer market. They don’t generally exhibit every year.

They were there last year, because they had just announced a limited dealer program and had 3 new upcoming processors to show off.

Are they going to be doing a 10% discount for the show or is that just Axpona and CES ?
post #941 of 1101 Old 08-29-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
Are they going to be doing a 10% discount for the show or is that just Axpona and CES ?

You’d have to ask them, but I doubt you’d get an answer. Sounds like something they’d announce at the show.

And again, I don’t think they’re going to be there, which would make it highly unlikely that they’d do a sale at the show.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #942 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Here is my quick review I posted in the Emotiva Lounge

So I installed my RMC-1 on Saturday and here is my review after having it a few days.

First thing I noticed taking it out of the box is the unit is incredibility light. It makes it super easy to work with during install, but for some reason I wanted it to be heavier. No logical reason for that, but somewhere in my mind I equate heavy with quality. Besides that the unit is gorgeous, and it blends in great with my XPA amps that flank it on both sides. After getting to re-wire my rats nest I got the RMC-1 wired in. Before I plugged any HDMI devices into the unit I did the firmware update (it shipped with 1.4). After the update I plugged in all HDMI devices and powered up the unit. Initial start up was I guess 30 seconds, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. To my delight my AppleTV 4K came on screen with no issues set to 4k 4:4:2 HDR. (I will get the exact cables I used and place them in the cable thread). I then went to my Panasonic 4K player, XboX One X, PS4, switch all with no issues at all. Input selection maybe takes 3 seconds from when I click the input till I get video on the screen. Slower than my Marantz was, but not horrible either.

I then went through the menu and set my speakers up (You have to tell the RMC which speakers are active and what size (S/L) they are. Mine is set up for 7.1.4 (LCR,SS,RS,FH,RH,Dual mono subs). I have not yet set distances or volumes. I also went crazy and turned on CEC which works okay. When I turn a device on the RMC will switch to the correct input, but for instance my Apple TV remote will not adjust the volume on the RMC. This is not a huge deal since I have ordered the logic tech harmony remote. I also set the unit to video on standby which basically has the boot up time down to 5 seconds.

I went ahead and watched about one hour of John Wick 3 and I was very impressed with the sound of the unit. My in ceiling speakers seemed much more pronounced with the RMC-1 compared to my Marantz. Now to be fair this is un-adjusted sound, so my in ceiling speakers may be too high. Also they are now running off of my XPA-9 as opposed to the A-700 they were on before (although the A-700 has more power compared to the stereo channels on the XPA-9). I will note that the sound decoding set to Auto worked very well. It had no trouble picking up the Atmos sound track. There is a slight delay when getting the audio signal though, maybe 2 seconds or so. For instance I could not hear sound for about one second when the first part of the movie started (just the part where they have the production company info).

I then went to a vinyl just to play round with it. I have a Rega P1 and I just bought a Schillt Mani pre-amp. I had to figure out the settings for stereo, but once I did the RMC-1 did a good job. I was not blown away, but to be fair I have a ton I can adjust on the pre-amp and in the RMC-1 menu (reference stereo versus stereo, enhanced bass, etc) So I think it just make take a little while to go through everything an get the RMC set up how I like it.

I then played a little Xbox on the RMC-1 with no issues. I also played the XBox just on headphone with the RMC-1 on video on standby mode and it worked fine. I really liked not having to turn on the amps if I play Xbox on headphones.

So far after a few days I have no issues at all with the RMC-1. Menu is a little slow but not bad at all really. Setup is much more complicate than my Marantz with basically had a dummy function guided setup. Although a setup like that would be nice for the RMC, it not super hard just to do the setup your self.

I have had zero issues with audio dropout, static, loss of handshake, etc in the few days I have had the unit. Now I just wait for Dirac to come out.

Emotiva RMC-1
Mirage OMD C-2 Center;Mirage OMD-28 Mains;Mirage OMD-5 Surrounds
Mirage OMD-R Rears;Mono-Price 8" Alpha in Ceiling X4;Dual PSA S1510DF Subs
Sony VPL-VW385ES
Emotiva XPA DR-2 (Mains);XPA-9 (5.4)
post #943 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 156
^ thanks for the review... the unit really reminds me of the XMC-1 when it first came out, and that unit turned out great over time.

I am curious as to how much heat the unit puts out?
post #944 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
^ thanks for the review... the unit really reminds me of the XMC-1 when it first came out, and that unit turned out great over time.

So far I have noticed very little to none. But I have not really played it for more than maybe 1.5 hours at a time. I’ll play around more with it this week and give you guys more feedback. I’m assuming it may be a switching power supply and that’s why it’s light and runs pretty cool.

Emotiva RMC-1
Sony VPL-VW385ES

Last edited by davidl81; 09-12-2019 at 08:04 AM.
post #945 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl81 View Post
So far I have noticed very little to none. But I have not really played it for Marie than maybe 1.5 hours at a time. I’ll play around more with it this week and give you guys more feedback. I’m assuming it may be a switching power supply and that’s why it’s light and runs pretty cool.

That would make sense. I know my XMC-1 always ran cool to slightly warm, but never what I would consider as "hot".
post #946 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
It runs pretty cool especially whenever compared to any AVR. But even compared to the 7704 and 8805, it seems to be slightly cooler.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #947 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
It runs pretty cool especially whenever compared to any AVR. But even compared to the 7704 and 8805, it seems to be slightly cooler.

So, is the RMC back in your rack?
post #948 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
So, is the RMC back in your rack?
It was back in my rack. Then more issues popped up. So the 8805 is running the show again as I have people coming over this weekend for college football and a movie night and I need something I can depend on.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #949 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Here is my quick review I posted in the Emotiva Lounge

So I installed my RMC-1 on Saturday and here is my review after having it a few days.

First thing I noticed taking it out of the box is the unit is incredibility light. It makes it super easy to work with during install, but for some reason I wanted it to be heavier. No logical reason for that, but somewhere in my mind I equate heavy with quality. Besides that the unit is gorgeous, and it blends in great with my XPA amps that flank it on both sides. After getting to re-wire my rats nest I got the RMC-1 wired in. Before I plugged any HDMI devices into the unit I did the firmware update (it shipped with 1.4). After the update I plugged in all HDMI devices and powered up the unit. Initial start up was I guess 30 seconds, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. To my delight my AppleTV 4K came on screen with no issues set to 4k 4:4:2 HDR. (I will get the exact cables I used and place them in the cable thread). I then went to my Panasonic 4K player, XboX One X, PS4, switch all with no issues at all. Input selection maybe takes 3 seconds from when I click the input till I get video on the screen. Slower than my Marantz was, but not horrible either.

I then went through the menu and set my speakers up (You have to tell the RMC which speakers are active and what size (S/L) they are. Mine is set up for 7.1.4 (LCR,SS,RS,FH,RH,Dual mono subs). I have not yet set distances or volumes. I also went crazy and turned on CEC which works okay. When I turn a device on the RMC will switch to the correct input, but for instance my Apple TV remote will not adjust the volume on the RMC. This is not a huge deal since I have ordered the logic tech harmony remote. I also set the unit to video on standby which basically has the boot up time down to 5 seconds.

I went ahead and watched about one hour of John Wick 3 and I was very impressed with the sound of the unit. My in ceiling speakers seemed much more pronounced with the RMC-1 compared to my Marantz. Now to be fair this is un-adjusted sound, so my in ceiling speakers may be too high. Also they are now running off of my XPA-9 as opposed to the A-700 they were on before (although the A-700 has more power compared to the stereo channels on the XPA-9). I will note that the sound decoding set to Auto worked very well. It had no trouble picking up the Atmos sound track. There is a slight delay when getting the audio signal though, maybe 2 seconds or so. For instance I could not hear sound for about one second when the first part of the movie started (just the part where they have the production company info).

I then went to a vinyl just to play round with it. I have a Rega P1 and I just bought a Schillt Mani pre-amp. I had to figure out the settings for stereo, but once I did the RMC-1 did a good job. I was not blown away, but to be fair I have a ton I can adjust on the pre-amp and in the RMC-1 menu (reference stereo versus stereo, enhanced bass, etc) So I think it just make take a little while to go through everything an get the RMC set up how I like it.

I then played a little Xbox on the RMC-1 with no issues. I also played the XBox just on headphone with the RMC-1 on video on standby mode and it worked fine. I really liked not having to turn on the amps if I play Xbox on headphones.

So far after a few days I have no issues at all with the RMC-1. Menu is a little slow but not bad at all really. Setup is much more complicate than my Marantz with basically had a dummy function guided setup. Although a setup like that would be nice for the RMC, it not super hard just to do the setup your self.

I have had zero issues with audio dropout, static, loss of handshake, etc in the few days I have had the unit. Now I just wait for Dirac to come out.
Tell me! Do some tests with the AppleTV 4K. After 30 minutes or more I tend to loose video. I have a black screen! The little HDR balloon popped and sometimes I got the picture back and sometimes I don't. When I don't I have to power off and on the RMC-1. My TV (LG OLED65E6) manages far more better the HDMI handshaking and much much faster than my RMC-1.

Let me know about your tests please!
post #950 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
It was back in my rack. Then more issues popped up. So the 8805 is running the show again as I have people coming over this weekend for college football and a movie night and I need something I can depend on.
By now, you must be faster than a Nascar pit crew

- Rich
gsr, deewan, dwaleke and 5 others like this.

post #951 of 1101 Old 09-11-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Has anyone noticed the DTS implementation on the RMC-1, at least when it comes to upmixing stereo, is bad?

Just compared my new RMC to my Marantz AV7703 using 4 songs from Spotify via Roku and DTS movie scenes, Atmos movie scenes, a DVD-A 5.1 and a Blu Ray audio 5.1 all from an Oppo 203.Overall, the RMC sounds much better with DTS upmixing of stereo the exception and mostly unlistenable.

The Revenant's DTS soundtrack through the 7703 was more cohesive. The RMC seemed to separate sound in a more artificial way. It was subtle and perhaps my imagination after the poor upmixing experience. The tonal quality still went to the RMC, but this makes me a little nervous since i only listened to a couple scenes of native DTS source material.

I do have a MiniDSP with 4 independent subs eq'd, crossed at 120hrz. (Eq based on Marantz measurements and set up using Multi-Sub Optimizer) Also significant accoustic treatments in a rectangular sealed room so I thought comparisons without correction would be closer.

I eventually turned on Audessey for the stereo tracks to give the AV7703 a fighting chance, without there was no comparison. RMC sounded much better. After the comparison, it was almost as if the Marantz was designed to make audessey look good.

Looking forward to Dirac implementation. I
preferred it to Audessey in the past.

Without audessey engaged, i was adjusting subwoofer levels and tone controls on the 7703 but never sounded great. The comparison was much closer with audessey engaged but still favored the RMC.

I did level match speakers using each processor's test tones. But then compared levels using an external test tone in an attempt to make sure i listened to both processors at the same levels. Interestingly, I had to set the Emotiva at -20db to equal the 7703 at -15. Seems like reference levels should be the same.
post #952 of 1101 Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonium View Post
Tell me! Do some tests with the AppleTV 4K. After 30 minutes or more I tend to loose video. I have a black screen! The little HDR balloon popped and sometimes I got the picture back and sometimes I don't. When I don't I have to power off and on the RMC-1. My TV (LG OLED65E6) manages far more better the HDMI handshaking and much much faster than my RMC-1.

I’ve run my ATV4K through the RMC-1 for hours without loosing video. I’ve streamed 4K on Prime, HD on Netflix, played some short 4K videos on Infuse, and played music, without loosing video or audio. I have lost center channel when changing to a program with a different audio mode (Atmos to 5.1) and had to toggle to another mode and back. Overall my ATV/RMC has been pretty stable.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 09-16-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Source clarification
post #953 of 1101 Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wow, I guess when I started listening to music again instead of gear I got out of touch. I recall when Emo was about good sound at an affordable price. Now 5k for a prepro, I'll tune in for the next one at 10k, if one with gold plated boards ain't already out.........
post #954 of 1101 Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:

The kids watched Frozen last night upstairs with no issues at all on the Apple TV4K, but the Disney shows are only 1080p through itunes.

Emotiva RMC-1
Sony VPL-VW385ES
post #955 of 1101 Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The kids watched Frozen last night upstairs with no issues at all on the Apple TV4K, but the Disney shows are only 1080p through itunes.
How did you configure your HDR?
post #956 of 1101 Old 09-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
How did you configure your HDR?
I have the frame matching and range matching both turned to on on the AppleTV. So the Disney stuff is non HDR. I’ll watch an HDR movie this weekend and report back.

Emotiva RMC-1
Sony VPL-VW385ES
post #957 of 1101 Old 09-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Deewan….

All the flaws that you have reported on the RMC-1 on this forum are the reasons I stopped considering the Emotiva to replace my old Marantz AVP. Before the quoted entry, however, you mentioned that FW 1.5 fixed many of the issues, and that it was finally good enough. Then you wrote the quoted entry. So, is this a never ending headache?

Since you are switching back and forth between Marantz and Emotiva, can you tell a difference in sound quality between the two? Like the guy in the video Emotiva just published, that stands by Emotiva´s superior audiophile sound.
post #958 of 1101 Old 09-13-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyhgarcia View Post
Hi Deewan….

All the flaws that you have reported on the RMC-1 on this forum are the reasons I stopped considering the Emotiva to replace my old Marantz AVP. Before the quoted entry, however, you mentioned that FW 1.5 fixed many of the issues, and that it was finally good enough. Then you wrote the quoted entry. So, is this a never ending headache?

Since you are switching back and forth between Marantz and Emotiva, can you tell a difference in sound quality between the two? Like the guy in the video Emotiva just published, that stands by Emotiva´s superior audiophile sound.
FW 1.5 did fix a lot of issues. The fixed issues were known issues that I had been waiting to be fixed and I was happy to see them resolved. However, I have found some new issues and still wait on a DTS fix. My personal feeling on how Emotiva handles me reporting those issues and the small gap between performance of the 8805 and RMC is why the RMC is out of the rack.

The RMC with FW 1.5 I believe is at the point where most people would be able to enjoy it as long as they have an understanding it's not perfect and still has some small quirks. For people like myself who have been dealing with countless issues for the past 10 months it's not worth the hassle when I also own an 8805 that I can put back into my rack.

I've spoken before about the Marantz 8805 vs Emotiva RMC sound quality comparison. I've viewed That HT Guy's video comparing the two processors. He does touch on some of the pros and con's of each unit, but I'm not sure if he correctly communicates the importance or impact of some of the differences. I would agree the RMC sounds better, mostly because of its super low noise floor. With the Emotiva amps and high efficiency speakers I own, the Marantz 7704 and 8805 both had a "hiss" in the system (not a ground loop buzz). The 7704 hiss was louder than the 8805, but they both have it. The RMC does not have a hiss. Channel separation and blend does also sound better with the RMC, but it's not earth shattering in my opinion. So two real positives for the RMC. But here is where the RMC starts to break down and breaks down REALLY fast if you have family members who just want a system that works. I've never had a failed hdmi lock on with the 8805. I get a blue screen 50% of the time when switching to the Oppo 203 input on my RMC. Others have reported the same. Switching inputs on the RMC is not instant and during that delayed switch with the RMC you kind of lose the ability to change other things on the processor like volume.

In my mind, if choosing between the RMC and 8805 you need to personally weigh the importance of something like reliability/stability vs a slightly better sound. Everyone will have a different answer and everyone is right when making their own decision. Right now, for me, the small audio improvement difference the RMC has vs the 8805 is not worth the headache or my wife's comments when a $5K processor I've owned for 10 months doesn't work. But I'd also add, if I just now purchased the RMC, the remaining quirks are not enough to make me go out and buy the 8805 as a filler. I'm closely watching for when the 30-day return policy starts with Emotiva because I am not sure the Emotiva sticks around if the Monoprice processor comes out with a clean release or if Anthem updates their processors next year with a 16 (or more) channel unit.

I know that was a lot, and it doesn't give a clear winner. But it's sort of a decision that needs to be based on personal preference and situation. And for that I hope I provided enough input to help you.
RichB, petew, jnation and 2 others like this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #959 of 1101 Old 09-13-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
I'm closely watching for when the 30-day return policy starts with Emotiva because I am not sure the Emotiva sticks around if the Monoprice processor comes out with a clean release or if Anthem updates their processors next year with a 16 (or more) channel unit.
JBL just introduced their SDP-55.
deewan likes this.
post #960 of 1101 Old 09-13-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
JBL just introduced their SDP-55.
The JBL retail price is $6K??? Looks like another strong contender I'll have to keep my eye on... but I want to read some owner reviews once it's released.

Old Woods Remodel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page