The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1036Likes

post #991 of 1080 Old 10-08-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Hi Deewan, maybe a silly question and you may have already answered elsewhere, but do you do a complete factory reset after each firmware update? I know you shouldn't have to, but I find them to correct most issues after a firmware update and was curious if this was your practice as well? I do not own an RMC-1, but follow this practice on just about every processor I own.
I believe I've posted it on this thread, but if not I've posted it many times over on the Emotiva forum. Here is the process I follow for updating the FW on the RMC

1. Save all my settings to a USB stick.
2. Do a factory reset on the processor.
3. Load my saved settings.
4. Power everything down in your system.
5. Unplug everything from power source, TV, Processor, all source devices.
6. Unplugged RMC.
7. Power on RMC and load new FW.
8. After FW has successfully loaded, power off RMC. Wait 10 seconds and plug all source devices back in.
9. Give all the units a minute to do the behind the scenes work.
10. Turn everything on.
11. Ensure personal settings (input names, speaker distances) are still loaded.
12. Using a SPL meter, set speaker channel levels using internal test tones and confirm with external test tones.
13. Pray the RMC works.

I've given considerable thought if I need to move step 13 sooner in the process.
Mike_WI likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1080 Old 10-08-2019, 07:02 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2367
^ Lucky step 13?
deewan and smurraybhm like this.
post #993 of 1080 Old 10-09-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ Lucky step 13?
You're 100% correct. I caused this problem myself by having a 13 step program. I was trying differentiate myself from the trademarked 12 step AA program... a program I feel I may have to complete at some point if the RMC continues to cause me to drink more.
gsr, smurraybhm and Mike_WI like this.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1080 Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
14. Enjoy the sound, or troubleshoot the latest bug...
Geronimo.USMC and smurraybhm like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #995 of 1080 Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
*Sigh*

The big brown truck dropped off my new RMC-1L today. I was as giddy as a little school boy...opened the box and set the unit on top of my soon to be replaced Marantz AV8802a, unplugged and re-plugged into the RMC-1L...then I had to go pick up dinner...didn't even turn it on.

Speed dated my dinner, powered up the RMC, ran into my theater...BAM...I got picture (HTPC)...sweet. Set out to start doing the set-up. Ran through distance, size..then got to Levels...clicked over to low...no sound...moved up to med...no sound...ok, made sure my amps were on..yup...all on...well let me shut it off and turn it back on..works for computers right? I used the remote, shut it down...waited...power button pushed...waited...waited...then

err: Init AXMC1...

Hard restart power off from the back switch...back on...waited...err: Init AXMC1... WTF!!!! Brand new...and of course it's too late to call tonight...am I doing something wrong?
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Marantz AV8802a, Mytek Liberty dac running Tidal MQA, GoldenEar Triton Reference, GoldenEar Reference center, GoldenEar Supersat 5's and 3's for Atmos, GoldenEar Aon 2's rear, Parts Express U-18 sub, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson 5030 projector, Crown XLS2500 X 3, Bryston 4Bsst.
post #996 of 1080 Old 10-15-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibuyguy View Post
*Sigh*

The big brown truck dropped off my new RMC-1L today. I was as giddy as a little school boy...opened the box and set the unit on top of my soon to be replaced Marantz AV8802a, unplugged and re-plugged into the RMC-1L...then I had to go pick up dinner...didn't even turn it on.

Speed dated my dinner, powered up the RMC, ran into my theater...BAM...I got picture (HTPC)...sweet. Set out to start doing the set-up. Ran through distance, size..then got to Levels...clicked over to low...no sound...moved up to med...no sound...ok, made sure my amps were on..yup...all on...well let me shut it off and turn it back on..works for computers right? I used the remote, shut it down...waited...power button pushed...waited...waited...then

err: Init AXMC1...

Hard restart power off from the back switch...back on...waited...err: Init AXMC1... WTF!!!! Brand new...and of course it's too late to call tonight...am I doing something wrong?
UUUUGGGGHHHHHH

Sorry; I really wanted to see what you thought about how it sounds. What a total buzzkill. You didn't even get to slowly savor that tasty Green Lantern Pizza due to the excitement of the Emotiva "brick" you had waiting for you.

I hope Emo has an easy fix without a Big Brown Truck ride back to Franklin.

Emo RMC-1, GoldenEar Triton Ones; Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Mjolnir I & II, Wyrd, Asgard 2, (2) Drop THX AAA 789, Monolith THX788, Pro-Ject Pre-Box S2 Digital , Tube Box DS2, RPM9.2SE, RM5SE, Darkvoice 336SE, Audyssey LCD-X, Mr. Speaker Ether CX, Senn HD-6XX, ESS 422h, ESS252, HiFiMan HE-4XX; Pioneer Elite SC79, SC89, Lexicon NT225, (3)Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-5; PrimaLuna Prologue 5, Audible Illusions Modulus II, Music Hall MMF9.1, MC Quintet Blue, Eroica LX, Benz Micro Gold
post #997 of 1080 Old 10-15-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMora View Post
UUUUGGGGHHHHHH

Sorry; I really wanted to see what you thought about how it sounds. What a total buzzkill. You didn't even get to slowly savor that tasty Green Lantern Pizza due to the excitement of the Emotiva "brick" you had waiting for you.

Pretty sure it is taking that round trip.......
dwaleke likes this.

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A9G | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)
post #998 of 1080 Old 10-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
UUUUGGGGHHHHHH

I do have some left over for bkfst!! I tried disconnecting everything, still err...now on the phone with Emo

Marantz AV8802a, Mytek Liberty dac running Tidal MQA, GoldenEar Triton Reference, GoldenEar Reference center, GoldenEar Supersat 5's and 3's for Atmos, GoldenEar Aon 2's rear, Parts Express U-18 sub, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson 5030 projector, Crown XLS2500 X 3, Bryston 4Bsst.
post #999 of 1080 Old 10-16-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
UUUUGGGGHHHHHH

Quick update:

I disconnected everything including the power cable, waited 10-15 minutes. Powered it back up with nothing connected. Still got the err: msg. Called Emo, spoke to Greyson who within two minutes had spoke to their tech and said to send it back. They are shipping out a new unit today and I'm just waiting for a UPS label to send my doa unit back. That's excellent customer service. Maybe there's hope for humanity yet!

post #1000 of 1080 Old 10-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibuyguy View Post
...Called Emo, spoke to Greyson who within two minutes had spoke to their tech and said to send it back. They are shipping out a new unit today and I'm just waiting for a UPS label to send my doa unit back. That's excellent customer service. Maybe there's hope for humanity yet!
Or maybe it's just a sign that they've had a lot of practice swapping units and it's a well oiled machine by this point.
post #1001 of 1080 Old 10-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Or maybe it's just a sign that they've had a lot of practice swapping units and it's a well oiled machine by this point.
Well now thanks for that thought! No..I must stay strong...I believe!!

post #1002 of 1080 Old 10-16-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Every manufacturer has doa units so nothing against Emotiva.

That said when I bought my XMC-1 it too had a hardware issue that required an immediate replacement.
post #1003 of 1080 Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've had three different RMC-1 in my possession since last Dec. Two units had hardware issues and one was mistakenly sent to me with test development chips in it that dinged every 60 seconds. While I agree their customer service is great, I normally hope to purchase equipment that doesn't need this much customer service assistance.
gsr, bmcleod, DreamWarrior and 6 others like this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1004 of 1080 Old 10-19-2019, 09:40 AM

Update to the update.

Second unit arrived yesterday. I did a slow burn hooking everything up. First just power, let it get acclimated to my climate (lol) then my blu-ray player, tested...ok, moved to my HTPC...all ok. I set up the speakers etc, and played my first disc. Avenger End game....no center channel...WTF...so I went into setting to make sure I hadn't turned it off...nope...checked levels on the center...yup I have pink noise....went back to End game and Center sound was there....who know why but all good right now.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

post #1005 of 1080 Old 10-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
The "no center sound" seems to be somewhat common...
bmcleod likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1006 of 1080 Old 10-20-2019, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Well I finally got around to hooking my RMC-1 up... and I'm at a complete loss lol.

It worked just fine at first. TV > RMC-1 > Blu-Ray Player. I noticed the RMC-1 was having trouble picking up the DTS-X track (it only wanted to pick up Dolby TrueHD) so I figured I would reboot the RMC-1 to see if that would help. Going from On > Standby > On didn't do anything. So I tried On > Standby > Off > On. That was a mistake.

Nothing I do will display video from the Blu-Ray Player anymore. I've tried every combination of Blu-Ray Player Off/On/HDMI Disconnected, RMC-1 Off/Standby/On/HDMI Disconnected, and TV Off/On/HDMI Disconnected. Switching inputs on the RMC-1 doesn't do anything either. I can even put a Blu-Ray in the Player and hit Play and watch the different audio/video codecs on the front display change around, but the TV still won't pick up a video signal from the RMC-1 anymore.

I'm using Monoprice 8K 48GBs HDMI cables so that shouldn't be the problem. All the HDMI-CEC stuff is turned off on the TV and RMC-1. Firmware is v1.5.

The only tips I've found so far are to use HDMI 2 Out (the ARC port), turn off the "Video Standby" feature on the RMC-1, and to also just try turning the Blu-Ray Player On/Off a bunch of times in a row in hopes that the RMC-1 finally catches the HDMI video signal. I've tried both HDMI Outs (seems like the OSD works better on HDMI 2) as well as turning off Video Standby but it didn't make a difference.

Connecting the Blu-Ray Player directly to the TV works fine. Connecting it to the RMC-1 gives a black screen. I've even did a factory reset on both the Blu-Ray Player and the RMC-1.

Hopefully I'm just overlooking something obvious, as it really shouldn't be this hard to operate a $5,000 "Rethink High End" product (I've seen that message too many times today restarting the RMC-1 over and over again). I've already spent too much time troubleshooting it today, but will give it another shot tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't somehow fry the HDMI board or something just by turning it off?

Last edited by Maconi; 10-20-2019 at 04:59 AM.
post #1007 of 1080 Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Still no luck today. Pretty sure the HDMI board is shot or something. All I did was turn it off lol. Is this thing really so fragile?

You can see the RMC-1 changing the audio/video codecs in the below video (barely, sorry for the poor video) but in the end it only shows a black screen.

If I bypass the RMC-1 and connect directly to the TV like in the below video, it works no problem.

Last edited by Maconi; 10-20-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #1008 of 1080 Old 10-20-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
Still no luck today. Pretty sure the HDMI board is shot or something. All I did was turn it off lol. Is this thing really so fragile?

You can see the RMC-1 changing the audio/video codecs in the below video (barely, sorry for the poor video) but in the end it only shows a black screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rpEYtuhVU

If I bypass the RMC-1 and connect directly to the TV like in the below video, it works no problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rpEYtuhVU
Both videos show the same thing.... that neither setup works.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1009 of 1080 Old 10-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Both videos show the same thing.... that neither setup works.
Sorry, I pasted the same video twice lol. Fixed it now.
post #1010 of 1080 Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 PM

I connected the laptop I planned on calibrating my sound system with (using REW) and still can't get audio/video from HDMI through the RMC. The laptop recognizes the Samsung TV through the RMC (TV > RMC > Laptop) but the display is still blank. I can actually get the OSD on the TV from the RMC if no HDMI devices are connected to the RMC. I choose "Extended Display" so that I could select 4K res for the TV and 1080 res for the laptop screen (duplicate didn't work either though).

post #1011 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
I connected the laptop I planned on calibrating my sound system with (using REW) and still can't get audio/video from HDMI through the RMC. The laptop recognizes the Samsung TV through the RMC (TV > RMC > Laptop) but the display is still blank. I can actually get the OSD on the TV from the RMC if no HDMI devices are connected to the RMC. I choose "Extended Display" so that I could select 4K res for the TV and 1080 res for the laptop screen (duplicate didn't work either though).
Sorry to break the bad news to you, but this is likely a FW issue and not a hardware issue. Ever since putting the RMC back into my stack about a month ago and trying to keep a positive attitude about it, I have been forced most times I fire it up to spend 3-5 minutes trying to get hdmi to lock on. Last night it took longer and I was faced with new issues.

With my cable box I was experiencing quick audio drop outs when sending audio over hdmi. Several weeks ago I decided to only use hdmi for video from my cable box and I connected a toslink digital cable for audio. No more drop outs that I heard with limited testing, but last night while attempting to get my media player to lock onto hdmi I was switching between inputs, from my media player input and to my AppleTV which also wouldn't lock on (nothing new there). Then to my cable box.... the first time I selected the cable box I didn't get video but audio came through the speakers loud and clear. I switched inputs back to the media player, no audio or video, back to the cable box but this time neither audio or video worked. I double and triple checked settings, connections and my findings. It seems like once the RMC decides it doesn't want to pass a signal, it doesn't matter the input or connection type. Several full restarts and input switches later I was able to get my Oppo and media player to work, but at that point I was so disgusted with the RMC I didn't want to enjoy my room.

I've sent an email to Emotiva describing the issue. Guess it's time to wait for another firmware and put the Marantz 8805 back in the stack so I can use my room. It's a shame after 10 months I still can't depend on a $5000 processor to display audio or video.
SOWK, dwaleke, mtbdudex and 2 others like this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1012 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 519
@deewan , I found a new profile pic for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter M, tjambro, deewan and 2 others like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #1013 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Maybe it's time Emotiva bite a big bullet and hire on some big gun consultants to get their code-base stable. This is absolutely unacceptable at this point. About the only saving grace is that Emotiva hasn't started the return period, but I do wonder how many units end up on their doorstep the moment that period begins. I'm also curious what all the refunds do to their bottom line and if they can take the hit. I hope they didn't sell enough of these to make that an issue...we'll see.
dwaleke, Mike_WI and thrillcat like this.
post #1014 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Maybe it's time Emotiva bite a big bullet and hire on some big gun consultants to get their code-base stable. This is absolutely unacceptable at this point. About the only saving grace is that Emotiva hasn't started the return period, but I do wonder how many units end up on their doorstep the moment that period begins. I'm also curious what all the refunds do to their bottom line and if they can take the hit. I hope they didn't sell enough of these to make that an issue...we'll see.
I've often thought about your concerns. For instance, how does Emotiva report the sale of RMC's right now? Because of the trail period they can't truthfully report on their accounting books the sales of all these RMC's because there is a chance several come back to them. It has to be an accounting nightmare. Normally they would be able to report a unit as sold and out of inventory after 30 days when they know it's not coming back. But now, potentially all RMC's sold have a question mark next to the serial number on the sales sheet. They have no idea which ones might be coming back.

Last I heard Emotiva plans on starting the 30-day trial period once Dirac is implemented. I'm curious if they will change their plans a bit if the RMC still has these outstanding hdmi lock-on issues when the Dirac update is given to the masses. I would hope they would be smart enough, if for no other reason than to limit the number of returns, to extend that 30-day trial period again. Doing so reduces their return risk, but also makes them carry more risk on the books.

Lastly, if I were someone thinking about the RMC and willing to take a chance on the processor, I would be motivated to wait a bit longer to see if Dirac is pushed out, if issues still exists and if the 30-day trail period starts. If that happens Emotiva will see an surge of RMC's returned to Franklin, TN. To help reduce the lost sales I'm sure Emotiva will have a "factory renewed RMC sale" prior to Christmas to help make sure the 2019 books don't take a huge hit
DreamWarrior likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1015 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
*snip*
Lastly, if I were someone thinking about the RMC and willing to take a chance on the processor, I would be motivated to wait a bit longer to see if Dirac is pushed out, if issues still exists and if the 30-day trail period starts. If that happens Emotiva will see an surge of RMC's returned to Franklin, TN. To help reduce the lost sales I'm sure Emotiva will have a "factory renewed RMC sale" prior to Christmas to help make sure the 2019 books don't take a huge hit
I wonder how much they would sell the factory renewed units for -- too much over what they can be bought with using the discount card and I'm out.
post #1016 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great question. I would guess the price would be around 20-30% off MSRP. Somewhere in the area that people can buy then who have the Upgrade for Life discount. But that is purely my guess. I could be waaaaaay off.
DreamWarrior likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1017 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
I wonder how much they would sell the factory renewed units for -- too much over what they can be bought with using the discount card and I'm out.
Most of their factory renewed products are 10-15% off, so I can't imagine them getting anywhere close to discount card price.
DreamWarrior, deewan and thrillcat like this.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #1018 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:

Last I heard Emotiva plans on starting the 30-day trial period once Dirac is implemented. I'm curious if they will change their plans a bit if the RMC still has these outstanding hdmi lock-on issues when the Dirac update is given to the masses. I would hope they would be smart enough, if for no other reason than to limit the number of returns, to extend that 30-day trial period again. Doing so reduces their return risk, but also makes them carry more risk on the books.

t

I generally give them the benefit of the doubt, but I think it’s more likely they would hold back a Dirac release until the next firmware is ready with whatever improvements they have been able to make, than it would be for them to delay the return window again.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #1019 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I generally give them the benefit of the doubt, but I think it’s more likely they would hold back a Dirac release until the next firmware is ready with whatever improvements they have been able to make, than it would be for them to delay the return window again.

I suppose I'd agree, but the longer they hold back Dirac the longer they lose sales to units that have Dirac in functioning order. This becomes even more important with the swath of Dirac-supporting pre-pros looming on the horizon.

Honestly, Emotiva had a real opportunity here and they completed squandered it. They have had near-exclusive access to the "affordable, high-end, Dirac-enabled" processor market for a good year, but they botched this so badly that many folks looked elsewhere (I went NAD, for example). Now, they are going to find themselves in shark-infested waters with a buggy product -- I think the big guys are going to eat their lunch. Given the price-point of the JBL SDP unit, I wouldn't even bother looking their way at over maybe $4k where a year ago I would have jumped on this thing if it was released in actual working order with Dirac. In fact, not having Dirac was exactly why I didn't even bother to buy (and beta-test, lol) their unit -- no desire to "stock" something for them in my house until it works as advertised. I'm sort of glad it didn't have it at release-time, because then I'd probably be one of the many angry beta-testers.

I suppose the "lite" unit may still be competitive if they get their house in order. I also suppose that for anyone wanting to expand above 16 channels, the RMC-1 is still the least expensive way down that path...again, assuming they get the thing working well enough that one doesn't want to smash it to pieces every time they power it up to find themselves dorking with HDMI issues, lol.
hogues, deewan, dwaleke and 5 others like this.
post #1020 of 1080 Old 10-22-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I suppose I'd agree, but the longer they hold back Dirac the longer they lose sales to units that have Dirac in functioning order. This becomes even more important with the swath of Dirac-supporting pre-pros looming on the horizon.

Honestly, Emotiva had a real opportunity here and they completed squandered it. They have had near-exclusive access to the "affordable, high-end, Dirac-enabled" processor market for a good year, but they botched this so badly that many folks looked elsewhere (I went NAD, for example). Now, they are going to find themselves in shark-infested waters with a buggy product -- I think the big guys are going to eat their lunch. Given the price-point of the JBL SDP unit, I wouldn't even bother looking their way at over maybe $4k where a year ago I would have jumped on this thing if it was released in actual working order with Dirac. In fact, not having Dirac was exactly why I didn't even bother to buy (and beta-test, lol) their unit -- no desire to "stock" something for them in my house until it works as advertised. I'm sort of glad it didn't have it at release-time, because then I'd probably be one of the many angry beta-testers.

I suppose the "lite" unit may still be competitive if they get their house in order. I also suppose that for anyone wanting to expand above 16 channels, the RMC-1 is still the least expensive way down that path...again, assuming they get the thing working well enough that one doesn't want to smash it to pieces every time they power it up to find themselves dorking with HDMI issues, lol.
I am wired for 11.4.6 and if I could purchase the 16-channel JBL (assuming it's bug free) right now, the RMC would be sent back to Emotiva tomorrow. I want a higher channel count than 16 and Dirac, but at this point I would take a working processor and limited channel count over this RMC. The 8805 I have is great, but I want Dirac!!!
DreamWarrior likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page