The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1058Likes

post #1021 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Maybe it's time Emotiva bite a big bullet and hire on some big gun consultants to get their code-base stable. This is absolutely unacceptable at this point. About the only saving grace is that Emotiva hasn't started the return period, but I do wonder how many units end up on their doorstep the moment that period begins. I'm also curious what all the refunds do to their bottom line and if they can take the hit. I hope they didn't sell enough of these to make that an issue...we'll see.
It sounds to me like they just ported the slow, buggy, user hostile XMC-1 operating system over to the new platform. We still have sluggish menus. Unreliable HDMI switching, glitches, odd noises, missing channels, wonky display information, slooowwww bootup. Oh, and only one Dirac preset (if Dirac ever gets released).

They didn't listen to their customer's requests and suggestions. We don't have to care, we're the phone company.
DreamWarrior and thrillcat like this.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs
Surrounds - Easy as Pi
Storage - unRAID unDELL
Mains - Another piece of Pi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Maybe it's time Emotiva bite a big bullet and hire on some big gun consultants to get their code-base stable. This is absolutely unacceptable at this point. About the only saving grace is that Emotiva hasn't started the return period, but I do wonder how many units end up on their doorstep the moment that period begins. I'm also curious what all the refunds do to their bottom line and if they can take the hit. I hope they didn't sell enough of these to make that an issue...we'll see.

I've literally said that to them.....Deaf ears.......
DreamWarrior likes this.

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A9G | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)
post #1023 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
It sounds to me like they just ported the slow, buggy, user hostile XMC-1 operating system over to the new platform. We still have sluggish menus. Unreliable HDMI switching, glitches, odd noises, missing channels, wonky display information, slooowwww bootup. Oh, and only one Dirac preset (if Dirac ever gets released).

They didn't listen to their customer's requests and suggestions. We don't have to care, we're the phone company.
That was exactly what they did.....Now they have to constantly rewrite code, throw it at a wall, and pray it sticks........

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A9G | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Sorry to break the bad news to you, but this is likely a FW issue and not a hardware issue. Ever since putting the RMC back into my stack about a month ago and trying to keep a positive attitude about it, I have been forced most times I fire it up to spend 3-5 minutes trying to get hdmi to lock on. Last night it took longer and I was faced with new issues.
I think it's a mix of both honestly. I bought it knowing it was going to be buggy, but I expected it would at least function for more than 24 hours. At this point I've asked Emotiva for a replacement unit but no response from them yet. Honestly this make me a bit nervous even if the new unit works. This first unit worked great all day until I did a hard restart (Standby > Off by power toggle > Standby > On). After that, nothing from the RMC. It makes me wonder if the circuit boards are designed to handle transients properly. That means I'd always be 1 bad power cycle away from a $5,000 paper weight.
post #1025 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
I think it's a mix of both honestly. I bought it knowing it was going to be buggy, but I expected it would at least function for more than 24 hours. At this point I've asked Emotiva for a replacement unit but no response from them yet. Honestly this make me a bit nervous even if the new unit works. This first unit worked great all day until I did a hard restart (Standby > Off by power toggle > Standby > On). After that, nothing from the RMC. It makes me wonder if the circuit boards are designed to handle transients properly. That means I'd always be 1 bad power cycle away from a $5,000 paper weight.
Anything could happen, but I don't think it's hardware. For instance, my RMC always acts up after a new FW load but then gets more stable the more I use it. I have no idea why. With some of my source devices I have a terrible time getting them to lock onto hdmi. But once they do, they are normally pretty stable. That last three nights I've had trouble getting different devices to work. Tonight I spent 10 minutes trying to get my cable box to work. Power cycles on of the RMC and cable box, switching inputs, a RMC factory reset, loading the FW again, finally after the 20-something input switch and everything else the cable box started to display video and play audio. It was rock solid for the rest of the night. I had a similar situation last night with my media player.

I'm guessing you were able to get your BluRay player to work, then did a full power cycle which ended that hdmi connection and you haven't been able to get anything to work since. It may take 20-something more tries and then all of a sudden your RMC may start working again. Doesn't it feel great to spend this much money on something that works this well? *eye roll*

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #1026 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Anything could happen, but I don't think it's hardware. For instance, my RMC always acts up after a new FW load but then gets more stable the more I use it. I have no idea why. With some of my source devices I have a terrible time getting them to lock onto hdmi. But once they do, they are normally pretty stable. That last three nights I've had trouble getting different devices to work. Tonight I spent 10 minutes trying to get my cable box to work. Power cycles on of the RMC and cable box, switching inputs, a RMC factory reset, loading the FW again, finally after the 20-something input switch and everything else the cable box started to display video and play audio. It was rock solid for the rest of the night. I had a similar situation last night with my media player.

I'm guessing you were able to get your BluRay player to work, then did a full power cycle which ended that hdmi connection and you haven't been able to get anything to work since. It may take 20-something more tries and then all of a sudden your RMC may start working again. Doesn't it feel great to spend this much money on something that works this well? *eye roll*
If it's not actually broken, and this is just normal HDMI lock behavior, I'm done lol. I've wasted hours troubleshooting, tons of power cycles, multiple HDMI cables, multiple devices (laptop, blu-ray player, PS4, etc.), multiple HDMI ports, factory resets, etc.

The only thing I haven't did is reflash the firmware on the RMC (it already has 1.5 but I could do another factory reset and flash it with 1.5 again I suppose). Maybe I'll try that tomorrow, but still. If this is "normal", the RMC is 100% gone once the HTP-1 or something comes out.
post #1027 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
If it's not actually broken, and this is just normal HDMI lock behavior, I'm done lol. I've wasted hours troubleshooting, tons of power cycles, multiple HDMI cables, multiple devices (laptop, blu-ray player, PS4, etc.), multiple HDMI ports, factory resets, etc.

The only thing I haven't did is reflash the firmware on the RMC (it already has 1.5 but I could do another factory reset and flash it with 1.5 again I suppose). Maybe I'll try that tomorrow, but still. If this is "normal", the RMC is 100% gone once the HTP-1 or something comes out.
For my RMC and my devices, what I have described is the new "normal" and how the RMC has worked for several months. This is why people have posted time and time again about the problems they have. There are several of us who have dealt with the RMC quirks for 10 months.

I will be interested to hear if Emotiva tries to send you a replacement RMC, or if you return it and if they charge you the return fee. Those two items are currently some of the factors why my RMC hasn't been returned for good.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #1028 of 1099 Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
For my RMC and my devices, what I have described is the new "normal" and how the RMC has worked for several months. This is why people have posted time and time again about the problems they have. There are several of us who have dealt with the RMC quirks for 10 months.

I will be interested to hear if Emotiva tries to send you a replacement RMC, or if you return it and if they charge you the return fee. Those two items are currently some of the factors why my RMC hasn't been returned for good.
Just tried the factory reset + firmware flash. Couldn't go to sleep wondering if that would finally fix it. No difference. So frustrating, definitely not a positive consumer experience (and I work in IT/am tech savvy, I can only imagine how it must be for normal users).
post #1029 of 1099 Old 10-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Update on my issue. It looks like the problem was that the RMC-1 was stuck on sending a 480i signal to my TV, hence why nothing ever displayed. Even though the front panel displayed various resolutions, my TV claims that it was sending 480i in reality.

To confirm this, I grabbed a 1080p monitor and connected it to the RMC instead of the TV. For some reason, the monitor said "Out of Range" and I was unable to extract any more info than that (the menu wouldn't display to tell me what signal was being pushed to the monitor). Also the laptop started referring to the display as the Emotiva XMC-1 rather than the connected monitor (Asus) or RMC.

When I reconnected the RMC to my TV... it magically worked. I have no idea why connecting a different display reset the RMC's signal when I've did a factory reset on it multiple times, and have even reflashed the firmware, but it did.

So, for the time being, I'm back up and running finally. This thing is a mess lol.
post #1030 of 1099 Old 10-23-2019, 10:11 PM

Scratch that. Looks like it was a fluke. I can only randomly get the laptop to work through the RMC (4k res, 30hz). The blu-ray player and PS4 still won't work through the RMC. They all work fine when connected directly to the TV or the monitor. At this point I'll still seek a replacement and hope it works better.
post #1031 of 1099 Old 10-23-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I couldn't get my older Playstation working on the RMC-1. I think it had to do with it being HDMI 1.4. Below was from Emotiva.

IMPORTANT UPDATE !!

We have become aware that many of the problems people have been experiencing are due to compatibility issues between modern HDMI 2.0 devices and older HDMI 1.4b devices.
(Even though HDMI 2.0 is claimed to be backwards compatible with older devices - some people experience issues when connecting certain older devices to HDMI 2.0 inputs on the RMC-1 and other devices.)
post #1032 of 1099 Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Flyer View Post
I couldn't get my older Playstation working on the RMC-1. I think it had to do with it being HDMI 1.4. Below was from Emotiva.

IMPORTANT UPDATE !!

We have become aware that many of the problems people have been experiencing are due to compatibility issues between modern HDMI 2.0 devices and older HDMI 1.4b devices.
(Even though HDMI 2.0 is claimed to be backwards compatible with older devices - some people experience issues when connecting certain older devices to HDMI 2.0 inputs on the RMC-1 and other devices.)
Actually, that's an interesting observation. My PS4 Pro and Panasonic DP-UB820 both have HDMI 2.0, but the laptop is just HDMI 1.4b I believe. The fact that only the laptop works means that for some reason the RMC-1 only wants to accept HDMI 1.4b devices at the moment even though it's set to 2.0.

I just tried forcing HDMI 1.4 on the RMC and both the PS4 and Blu-Ray work (although you lose HDR and are limited to 30hz and/or 1080p). Why can't the RMC process the 2.0 signal even though I'm clearly using a capable TV/device/cable?

Last edited by Maconi; 10-24-2019 at 12:32 AM.
post #1033 of 1099 Old 10-24-2019, 05:48 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
FWIW, the Emotiva pre-pros seem to be the only ones out there that have issues handling older HDMI devices. Products like the Marantz AV8805 have absolutely no problem at all with those devices. Emotiva either made a bad chipset choice or has been doing a bad job implementing it. I really can't fathom why anyone who has done any reading on these forums would purchase the RMC-1 at the moment. Buying it on a promise of fixes and additional features (Dirac) from Emotiva doesn't seem like a good move based on their track record. A beta tester of the new Monoprice pre-pro has reported that Dirac is already present, while there still doesn't appear to be an ETA for Dirac showing up on the RMC-1.
post #1034 of 1099 Old 10-27-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi everyone!

My father in law and I just attempted to start up his new RMC-1. He already had a fiber optic HDMI cable pulled through the wall from the TV to the RMC. It has given us nothing but trouble.

Any attempt to lock onto the AppleTV 4K or the new Panasonic Blu-ray player gave us no video. We were able to get audio working once, but no clue why.

We tried a new HDMI cable, non fiber, and suddenly everything works great. He would like the cable that is already inside the wall to work, but after reading through a few posts here it sounds like if I have a cable that works, I shouldn’t question things?

Is there any documented issue with fiber optic HDMI cables? I can confirm it’s high speed, pass 4K, etc.

Thanks so much in advance!
post #1035 of 1099 Old 10-27-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
Hi everyone!

My father in law and I just attempted to start up his new RMC-1. He already had a fiber optic HDMI cable pulled through the wall from the TV to the RMC. It has given us nothing but trouble.

Any attempt to lock onto the AppleTV 4K or the new Panasonic Blu-ray player gave us no video. We were able to get audio working once, but no clue why.

We tried a new HDMI cable, non fiber, and suddenly everything works great. He would like the cable that is already inside the wall to work, but after reading through a few posts here it sounds like if I have a cable that works, I shouldn’t question things?

Is there any documented issue with fiber optic HDMI cables? I can confirm it’s high speed, pass 4K, etc.

Could be the cable, could be the RMC. For instance, I have not changed my cables in 4 months. Every time I use my RMC it's like a game to find out which devices will and will not work that night. I've been unable to get my Cable TV box to work for the past two weeks. Prior to that past two weeks I could always get either audio, video or both to work from the cable box. But now I can't get either to work.

So it may not be the hdmi cable. The RMC isn't stable yet. I wouldn't throw away or replace cables until you know the RMC is stable. But you may need to use other cables to get a temporary setup.
Mashie Saldana likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1036 of 1099 Old 10-27-2019, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Hi everyone!

It’s a bit too generic to say ‘documented issue with fiber optic HDMI’, people test and use specific cables, from specific vendors in specific lengths. So the answer is no, there’s nothing documented like that. In fact I’ve read many have had good success with the Ruipro Active Fibre Cable, linked below. If you look at that one you see the specs needed to have success with a long 4K run, how does you’re FILs compare? What length?

Bottom line, as you’ve seen with your test, some work and some don’t, if his doesn’t work you’ll probably have to change it out.

I haven’t used this cable, but I’ve read others have used it successfully and like it.
https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Fiber-...2231626&sr=8-7

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #1037 of 1099 Old 10-27-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Could be the cable, could be the RMC. For instance, I have not changed my cables in 4 months. Every time I use my RMC it's like a game to find out which devices will and will not work that night. I've been unable to get my Cable TV box to work for the past two weeks. Prior to that past two weeks I could always get either audio, video or both to work from the cable box. But now I can't get either to work.

So it may not be the hdmi cable. The RMC isn't stable yet. I wouldn't throw away or replace cables until you know the RMC is stable. But you may need to use other cables to get a temporary setup.
Understood, and thank you for the quick reply.

I'm going to start reading through this entire thread, but is HDMI handshake/lock-on a common issue that is causing headaches?
post #1038 of 1099 Old 10-27-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
It’s a bit too generic to say ‘documented issue with fiber optic HDMI’, people test and use specific cables, from specific vendors in specific lengths. So the answer is no, there’s nothing documented like that. In fact I’ve read many have had good success with the Ruipro Active Fibre Cable, linked below. If you look at that one you see the specs needed to have success with a long 4K run, how does you’re FILs compare? What length?

Bottom line, as you’ve seen with your test, some work and some don’t, if his doesn’t work you’ll probably have to change it out.

I haven’t used this cable, but I’ve read others have used it successfully and like it.
https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Fiber-...2231626&sr=8-7
Really appreciate the link, thank you for that. I know his cable has identical specs, but may advise him to try this.

The length of the run seems to be about 30-40 ft. We tried a temporary non-fiber cable that I think is about 15 ft. and it worked great. Not sure if one of the correct length of that type will work though.

Either way, again- thanks!
bmcleod likes this.
post #1039 of 1099 Old 10-28-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...is HDMI handshake/lock-on a common issue that is causing headaches?
Among other things, yes, hdmi lock-on is a big issue and something Emotiva has continued to struggle with. They are making some progress, but not nearly as much as you would hope since this device is coming up on it's 1-year release date anniversary.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1040 of 1099 Old 10-28-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
Liked: 4810
Quote:
Hi everyone!

When Emotiva released the V3 HDMI Board for the XMC-1 (May 2018), they warned us that some fiber optic HDMI cables were causing the processor fail because they were taking too much current out of the main board to the point that they were making the main chipset to crash. I would call Emotiva and ask if your fiber optic cable is one of those on their list. I bet you $1000 they are going to blame the cable and not the RMC-1
llang269 and thrillcat like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #1041 of 1099 Old 10-28-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
When Emotiva released the V3 HDMI Board for the XMC-1 (May 2018), they warned us that some fiber optic HDMI cables were causing the processor fail because they were taking too much current out of the main board to the point that they were making the main chipset to crash. I would call Emotiva and ask if your fiber optic cable is one of those on their list. I bet you $1000 they are going to blame the cable and not the RMC-1
Forgive my relative ignorance, but I had no idea a specific type of cable could cause a crash. I don't remember anything in Emotiva's documentation that states fiber optic HDMI cables should not be used, unless I'm missing something?...

What's frustrating is he has another system upstairs with a Denon receiver that is rated for 4k, HDCP 2.2 and we are ALSO having trouble getting picture and sound from that thing.

Forgive my venting, but this is why I'm hesitant to upgrade to 4k equipment in my own system. I get the feeling there's too many factors that could go wrong and it becomes needlessly complicated, no matter what the make/model of pre-pro or AVR. I'm forever grateful to this forum for the information provided so I don't feel like I'm going crazy.

Truly- thanks to everyone for helping to make things a bit more clear.
post #1042 of 1099 Old 10-28-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
Liked: 4810
Quote:
Forgive my relative ignorance, but I had no idea a specific type of cable could cause a crash. I don't remember anything in Emotiva's documentation that states fiber optic HDMI cables should not be used, unless I'm missing something?...

What's frustrating is he has another system upstairs with a Denon receiver that is rated for 4k, HDCP 2.2 and we are ALSO having trouble getting picture and sound from that thing.

Forgive my venting, but this is why I'm hesitant to upgrade to 4k equipment in my own system. I get the feeling there's too many factors that could go wrong and it becomes needlessly complicated, no matter what the make/model of pre-pro or AVR. I'm forever grateful to this forum for the information provided so I don't feel like I'm going crazy.

Truly- thanks to everyone for helping to make things a bit more clear.
Emotiva did not disclose anything abut fiber optic cables causing issues in their user manuals. This was informed to us in the V3 HDMI Board Upgrade thread at the Emotiva Lounge by Keith and Lonnie. Because all these issues and other things is why I sold my XMC-1 and went another route. I'm running a 50' Ruipro Fiber Optic HDMI cable out of my Denon X6500H receiver into my Sony 77A9G OLED without a single issue. I also have a 27" LG 4K HDR Monitor on the Denon X6500H HDMI Out 2 with a Monoprice 25 ft Premium Certified HDMI cable and its running without any issues as well.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #1043 of 1099 Old 11-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Well guys, I just spent hours trying to get sound out of my RMC-1 tonight. It's one in the morning and I've done messing with it. I decided to upgrade my projector and fed it with 8K fiber optic HDMI cable from Monoprice. I have no problem with video or audio from Apple TV. I can get video but no audio from DVD or Blu-ray. I haven't changed cables on anything accept going to the new projector. I tried changing audio on the DVD all the way down to 2.0 and nothing. I tried unplugging everything several times and still nothing. I have everyone coming over tomorrow night for the big reveal but now I may have to cancel. One of my friends was considering the RMC-1 and if I have to cancel the get together, I'm willing to bet he will spend his money elsewhere, not to mention the endless crap he will give me for my choice.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what I could try? I'm sure Emotiva will be closed tomorrow, so that may not be an option.
post #1044 of 1099 Old 11-02-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Well guys, I just spent hours trying to get sound out of my RMC-1 tonight. It's one in the morning and I've done messing with it. I decided to upgrade my projector and fed it with 8K fiber optic HDMI cable from Monoprice. I have no problem with video or audio from Apple TV. I can get video but no audio from DVD or Blu-ray. I haven't changed cables on anything accept going to the new projector. I tried changing audio on the DVD all the way down to 2.0 and nothing. I tried unplugging everything several times and still nothing. I have everyone coming over tomorrow night for the big reveal but now I may have to cancel. One of my friends was considering the RMC-1 and if I have to cancel the get together, I'm willing to bet he will spend his money elsewhere, not to mention the endless crap he will give me for my choice.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what I could try? I'm sure Emotiva will be closed tomorrow, so that may not be an option.
The fact that your ATV works is a good sign, does your Blu-ray player have separate audio & video out? Have you tried both ways and is there a setting that routes audio? Any other sources you can try?

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #1045 of 1099 Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

Might want to look to your cable as a possible culprit. See this post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58743314

Might be something and nothing - but I'm always dubious of companies who claim their cables are 8K compliant - not sure there is even a standard for that yet. Unless you need a length beyond 20', I would stick with a Premium High Speed HDMI cable. Otherwise consider a hybrid fiber cable. The Ruipro is an excellent cable. There is also a thread over at the Emotiva Lounge which offers some advice from users of cables that have been known to work well with the RMC-1
thrillcat likes this.
post #1046 of 1099 Old 11-02-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3311 Post(s)
Liked: 3421
Quote:

Shotgun approach: Make sure the HDMI inputs are set correctly (1.4 or 2.x). Try different HDMI inputs. People have found the order of power on sometimes matters. Note you may have to completely unplug everything and plug back in after a minute or two -- just turning things off is not enough for some components. Don't use video standby (takes longer but forces new negotiation at start-up). Post in the Emo Lounge Thread -- much more experience over there.

Like Enrico, I am fed up enough to move on. But, Keith actually called me once on a Saturday! Drop them an email or call and you may indeed get an answer today (Saturday). I think there are times when they simply do not know what the problem, but customer service has always been rapid IME.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 11-02-2019 at 08:12 AM.
post #1047 of 1099 Old 11-02-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure you have already done most of these, but let's start from scratch to ensure everything is perfect. Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded.

RECOMMENDED FIRMWARE UPGRADE PROCESS
1. Save your user settings to the USB stick.
2. Do a factory reset on the RMC to get the unit back to all default settings.
3. Power on RMC, insert USB stick and use RMC menu's to load the new code into the processor.
3. Once the processor reboots turn RMC on.
4. Load your saved user settings onto the RMC.
5. Turn everything off and unplug power from all source and display devices.
6. Flip the main power switch on the back of the RMC to off, wait 10 seconds and turn power back on tot the RMC.
7. Beginging plugging your source and display devices back into a power source one at a time.
8. Wait one minute to ensure everything is on standby mode or powered on.
9. You can now use your system with the new firmware.

HELPFUL HINTS AND BEST PRACTICES

Ensure all hdmi cables to support a minimum of HDMI 2.0 18 Gbps with up to 32 audio channels and HDCP 2.2 Compliant

Use only one display device (TV, projector, etc). The single biggest cause for unusual issues is connecting monitors, TV's or projectors that have different video requirements. If you connect two devices connected to the two outputs of the RMC-1, it has to find a video output configuration that satisfies both, and must re-think that whenever you turn one or the other on or off. Since your projector is 4k and HDR, if you connect a TV to the other output on the RMC-1, choose one that is also 4k and HDR will minimize this sort of issues.

If using only one display device and that device is a project, use hdmi output #1 . If using a TV or a display device with it's own audio capabilities use hdmi output 2.

I have set all my source devices to a specific and matching video type. Many hdmi connected devices will do their best to automatically pick the best quality and frame rate settings based on your other equipment. When you have multiple devices with auto or different video signals things can get confusing for the RMC. Changing all video source devices to the same format helps reduce the complication.

The order which devices are powered on. If you're using all your device remotes, try turning on the RMC first, then your projector/TV and then finally your source device. I'm using a Harmony remote and I've rearranged the order of my turn on macros. I first turn on the RMC, then projector and then the video player. I also have a 2 second delay between the RMC turning on and sending the signal to switch inputs.

The order which devices are turned off. Much like the above point, I believe the order can have an impact on the RMC's next startup. While shutting down I use there reverse order of turning items on. I turn the source device off first, then projector and finally the RMC.

Turn off CEC for all my devices.

Disable all inputs that are not being used. This seems to help a bit when cycling through input selections trying to get hdmi AV lock on.

When setting up each source device within the RMC, select if that device is hdmi 1.4 or 2.0 compliant.

Double check all speaker levels with both internal and external test tones. I have found differences between the internal tones when compared to external tones for a calibration disc.

As others have mentioned, make sure your Oppo is set to output bitstream and not secondary audio. Also when you switch inputs check to see if the info the RMC displays changes. For instance if you are using the AppleTV to listen to music and if you change to the Oppo, does the video and audio details change. That will tell you if the RMC is seeing the Oppo at all. If those details don't change or go to something like PCM 0.0, then it could be your cables.
bmcleod and Mashie Saldana like this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #1048 of 1099 Old 11-02-2019, 10:53 AM

First of all, I thank everyone for the quick responses, I greatly appreciate it. I'm still on west coast time and just got back from breakfast with my son and now will try to get it working again.

To answer some questions, I have the latest Sony 800M2 Blu-ray player that does have coaxial digital out but have not tried that yet. But I shouldn't since the HDMI worked before with on occasional issue with audio on some Blu-ray that was rectified by scrolling thru the audio function of the Blu-ray. The only thing new is the JVC projector and the 30' optical HDMI cable going to the projector.

All my HDMI connections were correct and weren't touched from what worked before. I did even try changing around cable types and positions from the DVD player. Haven't tried rerunning my old HDMI to the projector yet. (on the list) but since it doesn't need to send audio to the projector, it would make sense that it shouldn't matter. But with the bugs still in the system, who knows.

I do have the latest 1.5 firmware and have been counting the days till the next one.

I will try turning on everything in a specific order per Deewan.

When I get time, I will reach out to Emotiva today
post #1049 of 1099 Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Big update.... I just went downstairs for the first time today to turn it on. I turned on the RMC-1 first. I wen't back upstairs to double check the order that Deewan suggested (trying to be precise). I came back down and was frustrated to know my Blu-ray already turned itself on and heard the intro music at the startup spot on the move. Yesterday I could get sound from there but nothing once the movie started. I then decided to try to start the movie without starting the projector that was fed with the new HDMI cable that was the only new addition to my system in the last four months. With great surprise, I got sound from all formats of audio. I then turned on the projector and got video that is now in perfect lip sync that I didn't have before on the Apple TV device yesterday.

So apparently I must have gotten a visit from the Audio Fairy last night to magically make it now work. I read on prior threads somewhere that someone else had issues that went away overnight. I did absolutely noting to it since last night and now I am getting perfect audio which I could have used last night to enjoy spending rare time with my son and a good movie. All I can say is these bugs need to get fixed, and fast.

I guess I should get the movie ahead of time and make sure it will work.

Thanks for everyone's input, and I will have my fingers crossed for tonight.
bmcleod likes this.
post #1050 of 1099 Old 11-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Big update.... I just went downstairs for the first time today to turn it on. I turned on the RMC-1 first. I wen't back upstairs to double check the order that Deewan suggested (trying to be precise). I came back down and was frustrated to know my Blu-ray already turned itself on and heard the intro music at the startup spot on the move. Yesterday I could get sound from there but nothing once the movie started. I then decided to try to start the movie without starting the projector that was fed with the new HDMI cable that was the only new addition to my system in the last four months. With great surprise, I got sound from all formats of audio. I then turned on the projector and got video that is now in perfect lip sync that I didn't have before on the Apple TV device yesterday.

So apparently I must have gotten a visit from the Audio Fairy last night to magically make it now work. I read on prior threads somewhere that someone else had issues that went away overnight. I did absolutely noting to it since last night and now I am getting perfect audio which I could have used last night to enjoy spending rare time with my son and a good movie. All I can say is these bugs need to get fixed, and fast.

I guess I should get the movie ahead of time and make sure it will work.

Thanks for everyone's input, and I will have my fingers crossed for tonight.
It sounds like maybe it was pulling the EDID from the projector rather than the RMC-1 which was causing audio issues? If so that just points back to HDMI switching issues which the Emotiva pre/pros seem to be prone to (to the point where you have to be super careful the order you turn on your components).

I still can't get video to work on my RMC-1 at all. Currently using a Vertex to bypass video directly to my display, sending only audio through the RMC-1. If the 1.7 fimware update doesn't resolve the issue I'll go back to pushing for a replacement. If the HTP-1 releases without issue in a couple weeks I may just end up going that route instead at this point (although the RMC-1 + Vertex 2 after my discounts are the same total price as the HTP-1 so I wouldn't really be coming out ahead).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page